Gold's Gym Employee Reviews

Found 1,031 reviews matching the search
Management is terrible
Customer Care Representative II (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXFebruary 16, 2017
The management for Gold's Gym customer care is terrible, they pick and choose who the rules apply to, you have to be a relative or best friend in order to be treated fairly. When you send a complaint to HR they "investigate" (yeah, right) and after their investigation is when the nit picking begin and they attempt to do all in their power to get you fired. The benefits and pay could be a lot better for the job or jobs you're required to do. They hire you with a job description of one thing and then have you doing jobs of other departments, and when confronted, they state that your "job" is to assist and be a "team player."
Pros
Great Scheduling
Cons
Pay and Management
Fun place, terrible pay, never a raise
Front Desk Agent (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCFebruary 12, 2017
High staff turnover because they really didn't care much about the staff. Everyone was rah-rah, but it didn't actually translate to the actual work environment. Was told, upfront, minimum wage and don't expect a pay raise.

On the plus side, co-workers were usually very nice. Membership was free for yourself and spouse.

Training at the front desk was poor. Upper management never seemed to respond to club members concerns.

Would have stayed longer if the pay were just a little better.
Pros
Free gym membership. Flexible hours
Cons
Minimum wage pay, no raises, little room for advancement
Fine for a first time job.
Kids Club Associate (Former Employee) –  Humble, TXJanuary 16, 2017
Golds Gym Park Lakes is a good first time job but it is nearly impossible to move up in ranks or even get a raise. Loved working in the kidz club because of the children and some coworkers the job was enjoyable for the most part. You will have your good parents and your bad parents same with kids but for the most part its decent. you will learn and grow just as you see the children do. Management has improved 100% from when i had begun working there.
Pros
free gym membership
Cons
split shifts
Fun and competive place to work!
Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, TXFebruary 10, 2017
The San Marcos location has been one of the greatest places I've worked as a trainer. All of the employees on the training side are very close and supportive of one another. Much like a family!
Speaking to Gold's gym in general-advancement is very competitive. The new pay structure is great as well. As you move higher up the ladder into corporate (speaking from the bottom) it seems like there are alot of instructions compared to support on various issues.

The hardest part about being a trainer is managing your clients and constantly building your business and an unstable pay... but that's just personal training in general. The best part without doubt is the "work family." We have some of the greatest staff and managers who listen and care always.

My experience at Gold's is an A! I am happy to be working here!
Enjoyed getting to know the members. But no one EVER got a raise, and at times, it was a hostile work environment
Front Desk Clerk (Former Employee) –  Martinsburg, WVMarch 10, 2017
My work day consisted of coming in and getting the gym ready for the day. To make sure the bathrooms and tanning rooms were cleaned and stocked (with essentials). Greeted members as they came in the door, washed towels, collected payments, managed contracts, ordered any and all supplies (tanning, clothing, food, and drinks) and keeping in touch with all vendors. Stocking drink coolers. Made appointments for personal trainers and answered any questions members may have about the facility/classes/workouts.

For the most part, all employees got along. But I worked with a lot of teens, so there was drama. It was also, a prodomanately male environment, so there was some harassment as well. No employee ever received a raise unless min. wage went up.
A Career with Gold's Gym
Fitness Consultant (Sales Associate) (Current Employee) –  Cedar Park, TXFebruary 22, 2017
A typical day at work as a Sales Associate at Gold's Gym includes making an average of fifty calls, writing and sending emails, answering incoming calls, scheduling appointments, tracking member files, communicating face to face with prospective members, selling memberships, billing and taking payments, account reconciliation, and constructing the end of day report.

With this job I've truly learned how to handle every situation having to do with customer service, what it's like to work for a corporate company, how to effectively manage my time and get things done, sales ques, and patience.

I am a huge fan of all management within Gold's Gym, they are incredible people to work for. Managers are always understanding and willing to help.

The hardest part of my job is not getting through to someone I know I could help significantly.

The most enjoyable part of my job is meeting new people and helping them the best way I know how. I can also say with all honesty that I enjoy working alongside all of my co workers.
Pros
Flexibility and benefits
Cons
Schedule, pay
great people, horrible management
Front Desk Attendant (Current Employee) –  Herndon, VAMarch 24, 2017
I loved all of my co-workers but the management in place was very unorganized and did not care for anything but sales. I hope to see a system in place to provide raises for lower level employees.
Pros
great people
Cons
horrible management
Poorly managed workplace
Fitness Director (Former Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLMarch 8, 2017
I was able to establish and maintain relationships with businesses in the area, attend chamber meetings and community events, and executed a successful a successful "Transformation Challenge" event.

The workplace culture was negative; management was had a poor attitude and was discouraging to both clients and employees.

The most enjoyable part of the job was creating and tracking individualized helping clients achieve their goals and tracking
Fitness Consultant (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 30, 2016
I absolutely love working for Golds gym. The management staff is excellent at my location as well as the incoming traffic. I have been able to succeed thus far financially, mentally, and physically. I enjoyed working closely and in person with each customer I interacted with. The hourly pay was not much however the incentives payed out on commission were great.
Pros
Working with customers face to face, compensation, great management staff
Cons
I have no cons at this time
Not ideal job
FC (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALFebruary 20, 2017
Worked there for several years, excelled in all areas of my job, and well touted for doing so. Never considered for advancement or promotion of any kind, although others came in and were promoted in under a year for being slightly better than average at their jobs ( if that). Company works on a buddy system, and if you're not in the "In" crowd you'll never break even here. Pay is minimal at best and annual raises are a joke.
Receptionist
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Dalton, GAFebruary 26, 2017
Day to day functions include answering phones, checking in customers, taking customer payments, organizing weights.
I honestly cant tell you a hard part about the job, its simple to be quit honest. I enjoyed the laid back atmosphere. Management was decent. It was not the best, alot of favoritism and unfairness
Pros
free membership
Cons
very short breaks, no insurance, low pay, long hours
Fun workplace but unproductive and irresponsible.
Kids Club Associate (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 23, 2017
The managers at my gym have not always been helpful, and are very unproductive in my experiences. While the workplace is very fun and energized, little gets done; more talking than doing. Also, pay is minimal with a cut budget.
Pros
Free membership, benefits, Omni hotel discounts.
Cons
Short break or none at all, poor management, pay.
Not a place I want to continue as a professional nor as a consumer
General Manager (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 26, 2016
terrible work life balance no recognition by superiors. Never know where you stand. With regards to advancement, no real opportunity and evaluations are few and far between. I have worked for this company for 5 years and have only received 2 performance evaluations and have been relocated a total of 12 times
Pros
No pros to notate
Cons
negative work life balance, constant change in management, constant change in pay structure negative development in career, no clear career goals or opportunity for advancement
Great for student, not for a career.
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAOctober 10, 2016
This place is fun for the most part, especially because your coworkers are great people. However, the gym does have a lot of drama between management and the higher ups. The current general manager has no true regard for her employees and is very rude. She lacks people skills and you'll hear from your co workers and even some regionals that she is not to be trusted. She does not get back to members efficiently so be ready to deal with angry members as a front desk associate because you're the first person they see. There's also really no hope in moving up in the company. They'll only move up the seniority, not anyone else regardless of skill. For what the front desk staff do, they definitely should be getting paid way more. They take a long time to compensate you back for mileage to their orientation and they also mess up your checks so make sure you calculate everything manually.
Pros
great coworkers, competitive environment.
Cons
bad management, VP's and Regionals of the company do not stick to their core values, Upper management is always after their best personal interest, low pay.
this is a fun job with opportunities
Assistant General Manager (Former Employee) –  Peoria, AZDecember 18, 2016
I enjoyed working for golds gym it was always and experience. Everyday brought something new witch i was able to learn from. the management opportunities are very quick and sometime to quick . the management rarely acts on there own thoughts and beliefs but the bps thoughts and beliefs.
Pros
fun, exciting and could be a career
Cons
management is lacking
Child Care Provider
Kids Club Associate (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 20, 2016
During the time period of my job as a child care provider for the company I took care of minors while the parents worked out. I provided recreational activities and various accessories for the children age four months to eleven year old. I maintained a clean environment. I enjoyed my co-workers and management. I was disappointed in the company itself do to lack of commitment and dedication they gave to us hourly workers.
Pros
Free membership, easy, fun job, interacting with children and flexible schedule
Cons
No health benefits, poor comunication skills and low compensation
Great company, low compensation
Receptionist/Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 6, 2017
Gold's gym is a wonderful place to work if you love fitness and people. The downfall of working here is you do not get compensated well. Three of the benefits of working here is great people, free gym access, and a fun place to work!
Pros
Free membership, culture, people
Cons
Compensation
Fun work place
Head Fitness Consultant (Current Employee) –  Edmond, OKJanuary 9, 2017
Very fun work environment. Not much room for advancement if you don't know anyone with pull for the company. Managers didn't have much of a grasp on how best to sell or out reach their membership pricings or promo's.
Pros
Great Atmosphere, Great co-Workers, Great Guest
Cons
Management, Pay, Lack of advancement oppertunities
this was a very casual and friendly workplace
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaJanuary 30, 2017
A typical day at work entailed checking in/out customers, greeting them, and stocking inventory.Management was polite and enjoyed my job.

There really wasnt a hard part of this job.
Pros
a relaxed working place
Cons
no health benefits
Managment is awful
Group Fitness Instructor (Former Employee) –  McDonough, GAMarch 15, 2017
No raise after 8 plus years. Constant schedule changes and no team work or communication. When I first started working for the company it was amazing but has been a steady roll down hill for the last 3 years.
Pros
free gym membership
Cons
low income, no benefits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gold's Gym. Our community is ready to answer.