Golden 1 Credit Union Employee Reviews in United States

Wonderful company to work for!!
Member Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Folsom, CANovember 25, 2015
What sets Golden 1 apart from other financial institutions is that this company genuinely cares about its members. G1 is member owned, not for profit, and involved in the communities it serves. Member service is emphasized before sales, with the belief that excellent member service will help match member needs with G1 products. As a teller, I am encouraged to get to know our members to find ways to help them better their lives and be financially successful. I love that! Plus, management is very supportive and every employee I've met is knowledge, friendly and helpful. Benefits are fantastic and available for even part time employees. There are also many opportunities for advancement.
Pros
Benefits, opportunities for advancement, service before sales
No growth or advancement oppurtunities
Call Center Representative (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAAugust 6, 2016
I have worked here for 10 years and done everything asked of me in order to learn, acquire knowledge, and grow (including working 14 hour days) and still don't get considered for promotions. Typical corporate job. The management here like to hire their friends from the outside and bring them in so they can run things their way and in their style Employee's are the dead last in the company's priority list and we are all underpaid so management can allocate money for themselves. Don't make a mistake.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Very underpaid, management hires who they want, no growth
A Great Company To Work For
Employment Officer (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAApril 3, 2015
The Golden 1 was one of the best jobs that I ever had. From day one, everyone in the Human Resources Dept. made me feel so welcomed and they were truly excited as to what I could bring to the table. I made so many friends that it didn't feel like a job at all. I always looked forward to being a part of a successful team at a company that valued their employees and treated them so good.

I was truly saddened the day that I was laid off because I had planned to retire from the Golden 1 and spend many more years with them.

It is said that events happen for a reason but this is one thing that I wished had not happened to me.
Pros
Competitive salary, excellent benefits and good people to work with.
Cons
None that I can think of; it was an environment that anyone would have enjoyed being a part of.
Structured and large - Golden 1 Credit Union
Client Services Rep (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CADecember 29, 2012
As a client service rep , I started my day out and finished mostly the same. Taking inbound calls regarding members concerns. I addressed a wide variety of calls ranging anywhere from a 30 second balance inquiry to a 30 min loan application. The hardest part of the job was catching criminals attempting to defraud the bank with various fishing and scamming techniques. In addition that was also the most enjoyable part of the job because you where able to prevent bank loss and save a credit union member time and frustration.
Pros
good compensation, great benefit package, frequent up training.
Cons
advancement was frequently disscussed, posting out of the call center was difficult, recognition was easliy lost in the size of the company.
Great pay, but not worth it!
Member Service Rep. I (Current Employee) –  Hanford, CaSeptember 20, 2013
Great work hours, as a part timer only works 20 hours a week-however if they are short staffed (which they ALWAYS are!) expect to work a lot! Benefits and pay are nice, however not worth the stress of the job put upon you by management. If you are not liked by management they will treat you accordingly, giving you little to no feeling of job security. The Hanford branch is small and the building has a terrible odor due to it's age. I really would have liked to work at a different branch to see what the atmosphere was like, as the company Golden One is great to work for, just not at that particular branch.
Pros
hours/pay
Cons
management
Great company to work for
Member Relations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Jackson, CAApril 19, 2016
As the fifth largest Credit Union in the United States it was very personable and dedicated to its employees. Good conditions wether in call center or branch.
Outdated system! Terrible management! Bad training!
Bilingual member service representative (Former Employee) –  Salinas CaJuly 24, 2013
I worked for wells Fargo before coming here. It seems great because of the great hours and good compensation. But the work load I had on my plate was way too much for the money I was making! Especially considering the fact that the system they have is literally from the 80's! My co-workers and managers were so lazy and spiteful I couldn't believe it! I think it's something in the culture of the company that inspires an every man for themselves kind of mindset! It seemed like my co-workers had hr on speed dial! Do your self a favor and stay away... From this branch in particular! I went back to Wells Fargo, much happier!
Pros
great hours!
Cons
everything!! outdated system, terrible culture!
Productive and a great place to work.
Accounting Technician II (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAOctober 13, 2015
Great place to work for with supportive management. Lots of opportunities for advancement which was great. Flexibility in working hours.
Pros
Being recognized for a job well done. Incentives were good.
Cons
Overtime
terrible place to work
Member Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CANovember 9, 2015
outdated systems, lack of a clear vision, lack of support, management not interested in fixing issues, different rules for different departments
Good Company to gain banking experience
Senior Member Service Rep./Sales training Coach (Former Employee) –  Madera, CANovember 15, 2013
Good starting pay, good training, good benefits, great customers, overall good work experience I learned a lot from this company and as long as you stick to procedures you should have no trouble mastering your job description. I enjoyed the incentives for meeting and exceeding sales goals monthly and annually

Want to know more about Golden 1 Credit Union?

Ask a question
Average
Member Relationship Specialist (NMLS ID (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CAJuly 1, 2014
Assisting members with their banking needs, processed auto, personal loans, credit cards, home equity loans and processed real estate loan applications. The most enjoyable part of the job was assisting members with their needs and helping them with any difficulties they may of had.
Pros
benefits including 401k
Most Productive
Deposit Processing Tech 1 (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CASeptember 29, 2015
Great productive work place. Extremely busy with the beginning of every month, but it's a good kind of busy.

Great culture within the headquarters, every branch is a branch family with different culture all within their own boarders. There's still a self of togetherness with the branch and the headquarter.
Great place and company to work with.
Member Service Representative/Teller (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CASeptember 24, 2015
Great co workers, great management. Teams is awesome to work with, communication is fun and easy to get along with everyone. Positive vibes at work everyday, everyone is a team player.
Great benefits
Branch Lead/ Sales and Service (Current Employee) –  Ontario, CAJune 17, 2014
Worked here since 2005 as the years have gone by it's turned into a commercial bank. When I started one of the companies core values was to be "a preferred employer" that's no longer the case. I will say their benefits are good. Part time employees can receive benefits.
Antiquated system but Member Focused
Customer service (Current Employee) –  SacramentoAugust 22, 2015
Very member focused with competitive rates. Antiquated system. Culture can take it self too seriously at times. Introduced share banking and CUDL.
good
Home Loan Processor (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CaOctober 12, 2015
good place to work with fun people nice building friendly atmosphere always feeding the employees a lot of temps working for them on contract basis
Be accurate, be careful, be patient.
Member Service Representative/Teller (Former Employee) –  FresnoNovember 18, 2014
Typical work day was busy majority of the time. I learned patients, and accuracy was crucial to the banking business. Management was very strict, there was a quota to be achieved monthly. My co-workers were terrific, very fun, and above all helpful. Hardest part of the job was achieving goals, month to month. Most enjoyable part of this job were the co-workers i worked with at the time, we had a very fun crew, and got along together well, and hearing that members say you have excellent service.
Pros
good incentives.
Cons
goals can be tough to achieve.
Golden 1 Credit Union is the best Bank ever.
Member Service Repersentative II (Former Employee) –  Elk Grove, CAFebruary 11, 2013
I call it a Bank, because unfortunately for me right upon the start of my employment, the new CEO decide that Golden 1 would gain so much more by acting and applying the sales aspect of the big Banks like BOFA and WF. Sadly for many us tellers, this was a hard adjustment. The reason people love credit unions is for the sole reason that although we have the products available for them to use, we don't hassle them like used car salesmen. Also, sadly the idea of hiring outside formal Bank Managers instead of advancing a qualified Credit Union employee did not make for a great work environment. I loved my co-workers and my members however, and I looked forward to coming to work everyday to say hi to all my favorites. I enjoyed learning about the financial world, laws and regulations. Also how to actually proper bank with your money! The best days where the ones were I came into work, the steady pace of members made the day go by swift, and I balance that night with 100% accuracy, balanced the vault and branch, and said good-night.
Pros
access to so much information about the banking world, room for advancement
Cons
non-compatible managers (bank managers managing a credit union)
A company you can call home.
Member Service Representative I (Former Employee) –  Fig Garden LoopMarch 17, 2014
At this company a normal day for me includes performing transactions for the members that come in, answering and transferring phone calls, and providing services & products which best suit our members needs. I've learned so much here, including different phone & computer systems. The management and staff are like family, they are supportive and helpful. My job has many challenges, however the hardest part of my job I would have to say is dealing with circumstances which are out of my control for example, being upset at because an individual had caused their account to become overdrawn when it was out of my control. The most enjoyable part would be finding solutions to help them from having these problems again.
a financial institution with NO CLUE
executive (Current Employee) –  caMarch 23, 2013
The managers here are not supported in anyway. The training is a joke and the regionals have true character issues. It could only be described as a recipe for major hr issues. The pay was a joke and ability to be recognised for a job well done is nonexistent. In my opinion anybody who is not looking for a job and wants a career should stear clear.
Pros
you can completely abuse management
Cons
being employed by there

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Golden 1 Credit Union. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8