Golder Associates Employee Reviews

Interesting Technical Projects in a Friendly, Fun Workplace
Senior Consultant (Current Employee) –  Farmington Hills, MIDecember 28, 2016
A typical day at work is busy with either technical project work or business development activities. Management input is minimal, we have the freedom to operate and excel as our own local business. We also have the support and resources of a company with global reach, so the projects and clients are varied and interesting. Co-workers are friendly and very collegial in working together. Being a private, employee owned company promotes collaboration among offices. Technical expertise within Golder is varied and high quality.
Pros
Friendly co-workers, caring culture, technical excellence, interesting projects and clients
Cons
Lack of coordinated corporate support for local offices
Hardwork pays and able to learned most important skills and knowledge in Construction Management of a project.
Senior Techncian (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 1, 2016
Golder Associates is a global Geotechical/Environmental Company. The company's core values has an in depth emphasis on Health and Safety management,Manpower Training and Development to help attain success on employees career and lastly is the Customer Satisfaction through a Total Quality Management of the organization.

Working relationship with my peers is an exiting and enjoyable one especially when everybody is doing their job diligently. A full coordination and cooperation by everyone shall be expected and a quality product can be delivered in due time.
Pros
When the site is in good shape and compensation is implemented
Cons
Extreme weather condition.
Good people
Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Conshohocken, PANovember 30, 2016
Golder is a genuinely good place to work. However, the company recently tried to grow too quickly while not maintaining their original ideals. More specifically, they're management structure became more linear and top heavy.
Company culture
Air Quality Scientist (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 2, 2016
Work/Life balance working at Golder is very good. The last year has seen a decline is management personal. Junior to mid-level employees will be in a great position moving towards the future.
Pros
Work/Life Balance, Personal growth, Healthcare benefits
Cons
Career growth opportunities
Great company culture but lacking in benefits and opportunities
Environmental Engineer (Current Employee) –  FL/GAJuly 15, 2015
Company is employee owned and has an excellent culture that can proved a good work/life balance (most of the time) and a very relaxed casual office setting. However, 2014 was a very poor financial year, and after numerous layoffs and compensation/benefits cuts this company often will not meet the standard for compensation or benefits. Job security has dwindled and advancement opportunities have shrunk drastically as well.
Pros
Relaxed culutre
Cons
Poor compensation/benefits and advancement opportunities
Strong technical environmental
Senior Engineer/Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZJuly 18, 2016
Growing company and a great place to develop technical skills. Golder has a reputation of producing high quality technical consultants spread across the globe. The company is setup in a way that allows all employees to share expertise and advice across the globe, truly making it a world of capabilities delivered locally.
Fun work place that is ever changing
Staff Technician (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 24, 2016
Golder Associates was a place that I would work again in an instant, the work environment was busy and always changing. If you are looking for advancement you must have an engineering degree,
Project Accountant (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WAAugust 1, 2016
The people or friendly, and you can really work toward your professional goals. The location is in an expensive location, so it's hard to live close enough to not have a bad commute.
Pros
You feel appreciated
Cons
Not as flexible as they could be
Wonderful Company to work for
Administrative Assistant/Accounts Payable (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHJune 30, 2015
This was a fun company to work for with supportive management that want their employees to grow and develop within. I was the first point of contact for all employees and felt that we all worked well together on a variety of tasks.
Unfortunately due to global economic issues my position was eliminated. Would definitely work there again if the opportunity arose.
Pros
Compensation, teamwork, supportive
High turnover and poorly managed with a high school culture.
Senior Project Scientist (Former Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 5, 2013
The Denver office is managed like a high school. An elitist P&A system prevents advancement for many. There is an extremely high turnover rate, especially for non engineers. They have little respect for the more experienced employees not in the P&A system. The company is overly bureaucratic, which creates complete dysfunction for the project managers to work efficiently.
Pros
Good projects
Cons
Mangement, office culture, P&A system, high turnover., overly bureaucratic, dysfunctional systems.
depends on your office
project engineer (Former Employee) –  redmon, waNovember 1, 2012
its a big company so it all depends on your office. i can say in general there is very few company-wide programs for career developement. in redmond office there is very little interaction and support of peers-seniors. i always had the feeling that the seniors want to keep you down to do the man labor and the culture propagated down to the peers who felt insecure about sharimg their knowledge.
Pros
relaxed
Cons
little space for career developement and learning
Good Company Poor management
Administrative Associate - General Office (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZNovember 5, 2015
I liked working for this company but the management is way off. They do not promote those who deserver it only those they like and then do very little work. I just left and heard the SW ops manager was let go so it looks like they are heading in the right direction.
A great place to be challenged and grow
Principal (Current Employee) –  USAMarch 19, 2013
Golder is an experience that is not for everyone, especially those who are not self-starters and ambitious. If you approach working at Golder as a 9-5 job, you will be left in the dust. If you approach it as an amazing opportunity to expand your knowledge, skills and talents, you will be most pleased. It requires work to excel, and Golder spits out those who do not put in the effort, but rewards those who do. Golder is not a job - it is a calling and a career, which is why there are so many people who have worked for Golder more than 20 years.
Pros
limitless opportunity to grow
Cons
sub-par pay for the the value produced by senior employees
nice office
Electrical/Mechanical Jr. Drafter (Former Employee) –  Walnut Creek, CAJanuary 21, 2016
Fascinating work. Good collegian atmosphere in some groups and offices. Opportunities to do most anything anywhere in the world. Long leash given to hang yourself or achieve great things. Very pleasant work environment, despite all of the layoffs and turmoil.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
short breaks
Lack of management leads to lack of work
Project (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, COMarch 8, 2014
Management is severely lacking in knowledge of proper Project Management practices/processes.

Engineers are regularly appointed PMs and have no education on how to do the work, how to make a schedule or do any sort of cost control. This leads to no one knowing where anyone is on a project, what comes next, or where the budget is...until a month or two down the line.

Flat structure is great, but it leads to management by committee. On any day, the person in charge can change depending on who thinks their work must be done NOW.
Cons
Lack of work
Rather not answer
Proect Accounting Specialist (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLAugust 27, 2013
Good Company Overall. Management at office levels and corporate levels could be worked on. The office was very busy and the Corporate office expected a lot out of us within a short period of time. Some of the employees were good to work with and others not. The hardest part of my job was keeping my boss happy. Management needs to work on discrimination towards employees.
Honest review of my brief 6 months
Environmental Scientist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 24, 2015
Golders website indicates they are big on training their employees. They believe if you have done it once, you are an expert and can do it on your own. I was constantly promised training and no training ever was done. In addition to that, I felt blacklisted from doing field work due to the older associates biased opinion I wasn't cut out for it. Simply untrue. Management is awful. The PMs do not come by and talk and ever check if you need work. If you have it great, but if not, you will be wasting a lot of time. There is a lot of false promises on incoming work. The company did not turn a profit last year and has really started to decline (How does an environmental company with mining as its' largest group, not see the decline occurring and not plan for it?? Same thing with oil, and yet no one did anything or prepared for the crashes.). I was told by multiple people Golder is not the company it used to be. I should have seen the trend ahead of time, but was blind. A guy left because of the poor quality of work my first week. 3 months later, they laid off another person for not having work, and an engineer a month after being hired quit. They make promises but do not make good on them. There is major favoritism in the environmental group and some of the people are team players at all. Watch out.

Oh and if you are an engineer, you better love landfills as that is all you will do.
Pros
free keurig coffee
Cons
expensive health insurance, backstabbing, lack of work, false promises
Good place to develop a career for the right person
Geographic Information Systems Specialist (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 18, 2013
- Good place to develop a career.
- Variety of interesting projects.
- Silo'ed approach to using specialists that required you to work a bit harder to create a collaborative environment
Interesting work
Engineer II (Current Employee) –  Redmond, WAJuly 30, 2014
Good company but compensation lower than competitors. Work can be interesting but sometimes slow.
Fun place to work and learning more than I ever knew!!
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Tucker, GASeptember 10, 2012
I started out as a receptionist, then was promoted to Group Secretary. I was in my early twenties and my co-workers were very helpful and educational. The hardest part of the job was meeting last minute report changes to be Fed-Exed out as soon as possible. Went into alot of overtime. I enjoyed the job because I met so many great people with alot of knowledge that helped mold me with so many things that could help me in my private and professional life.
Pros
fridays!!
Cons
there were so many good weeks, but there were also cramped times to hussle out reports that went into overtime.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Golder Associates. Our community is ready to answer.