Golder Associates Employee Reviews

Company culture
Air Quality Scientist (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 2, 2016
Work/Life balance working at Golder is very good. The last year has seen a decline is management personal. Junior to mid-level employees will be in a great position moving towards the future.
Pros
Work/Life Balance, Personal growth, Healthcare benefits
Cons
Career growth opportunities
Good Company Poor management
Administrative Associate - General Office (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZNovember 5, 2015
I liked working for this company but the management is way off. They do not promote those who deserver it only those they like and then do very little work. I just left and heard the SW ops manager was let go so it looks like they are heading in the right direction.
Great company culture but lacking in benefits and opportunities
Environmental Engineer (Current Employee) –  FL/GAJuly 15, 2015
Company is employee owned and has an excellent culture that can proved a good work/life balance (most of the time) and a very relaxed casual office setting. However, 2014 was a very poor financial year, and after numerous layoffs and compensation/benefits cuts this company often will not meet the standard for compensation or benefits. Job security has dwindled and advancement opportunities have shrunk drastically as well.
Pros
Relaxed culutre
Cons
Poor compensation/benefits and advancement opportunities
Wonderful Company to work for
Administrative Assistant/Accounts Payable (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHJune 30, 2015
This was a fun company to work for with supportive management that want their employees to grow and develop within. I was the first point of contact for all employees and felt that we all worked well together on a variety of tasks.
Unfortunately due to global economic issues my position was eliminated. Would definitely work there again if the opportunity arose.
Pros
Compensation, teamwork, supportive
Honest review of my brief 6 months
Environmental Scientist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 24, 2015
Golders website indicates they are big on training their employees. They believe if you have done it once, you are an expert and can do it on your own. I was constantly promised training and no training ever was done. In addition to that, I felt blacklisted from doing field work due to the older associates biased opinion I wasn't cut out for it. Simply untrue. Management is awful. The PMs do not come by and talk and ever check if you need work. If you have it great, but if not, you will be wasting a lot of time. There is a lot of false promises on incoming work. The company did not turn a profit last year and has really started to decline (How does an environmental company with mining as its' largest group, not see the decline occurring and not plan for it?? Same thing with oil, and yet no one did anything or prepared for the crashes.). I was told by multiple people Golder is not the company it used to be. I should have seen the trend ahead of time, but was blind. A guy left because of the poor quality of work my first week. 3 months later, they laid off another person for not having work, and an engineer a month after being hired quit. They make promises but do not make good on them. There is major favoritism in the environmental group and some of the people are team players at all. Watch out.

Oh and if you are an engineer, you better love landfills as that is all you will do.
Pros
free keurig coffee
Cons
expensive health insurance, backstabbing, lack of work, false promises
Good
Practice Leader (Former Employee) –  conshohocken, paJune 2, 2015
Good day at work, remediation stuff, managed personnel and projects, had co-workers, work was hardest part of job and technical aspects were the most employable aspects
Pros
technical
Cons
Productive place to gain experience working in different departments
Intern Engineer (Former Employee) –  Roseville, CAJune 2, 2015
Great place to gain experience in materials testing, drafting, reading reports, preparing engineering graphs, preparing quantity takeoffs for landfill liner systems.
Great place to work and great company
Laboratory Administrator/Technician (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GeorgiaApril 2, 2015
I have learned so much about geotechnical data and geosynthetics just from working here a year now. There is so much room to grow if this is your field of study. A great environment to work in and great co-workers. The company is international and amazing to work for.
typical
MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Cherry Hill, PADecember 22, 2014
Some talented professionals to learn from. Lacks management direction for business growth
Pros
private corporation
Cons
no management training
Interesting work
Engineer II (Current Employee) –  Redmond, WAJuly 30, 2014
Good company but compensation lower than competitors. Work can be interesting but sometimes slow.
Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Atlanta gaJuly 21, 2014
Golder Associates is a great company to work for. A typical work day is 8 hours. The co- workers are great to work with and very knowledgeable.
Pros
very reliable job
Professional enviroment
Sr. Engineer/Manager - (Former Employee) –  Walnut Creek, CAJune 26, 2014
Productive organization coupled with efficient processes to produce a product with quality and accuracy.
productive workplace
CAD Designer (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 14, 2014
A typical day at work is 8:00am to 5:00pm, good co-workers, good management.
Cons
free coffer
Great Expectations but Can't Move Up
CADD Technician (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WAApril 4, 2014
I was able to work on a variety of projects around the U.S. and around the World.
Lack of management leads to lack of work
Project (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, COMarch 8, 2014
Management is severely lacking in knowledge of proper Project Management practices/processes.

Engineers are regularly appointed PMs and have no education on how to do the work, how to make a schedule or do any sort of cost control. This leads to no one knowing where anyone is on a project, what comes next, or where the budget is...until a month or two down the line.

Flat structure is great, but it leads to management by committee. On any day, the person in charge can change depending on who thinks their work must be done NOW.
Cons
lack of work
Good work place
Consultant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 14, 2014
This work experience was a part of the school program. We evaluated current business strategy and provided recommendations for improvement.
salary is low
air resources engineer (Current Employee) –  gainesvilleJanuary 30, 2014
I have been worked for a year but the salary is still very low.
High turnover and poorly managed with a high school culture.
Senior Project Scientist (Former Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 5, 2013
The Denver office is managed like a high school. An elitist P&A system prevents advancement for many. There is an extremely high turnover rate, especially for non engineers. They have little respect for the more experienced employees not in the P&A system. The company is overly bureaucratic, which creates complete dysfunction for the project managers to work efficiently.
Pros
good projects
Cons
mangement, office culture, p&a system, high turnover., overly bureaucratic, dysfunctional systems.
My favorite
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 27, 2013
I truly enjoyed working with Golder. One of my favorite places to work when I was there.
Fun workplace
Environmental Scientist (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCNovember 11, 2013
I enjoyed working with Golder Associates. It was a good company to begin my employment.