Golder Associates Employee Reviews

Happy
MARKETING ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, COJune 8, 2017
This company is near and dear to my heart as it has always been a part of my life! I learned so many skills and became part of its excellent legacy. It was great.
Good co-workers, poor mid-level management
Staff Field Ecologist (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMay 7, 2017
I moved across the country for a supposed "full-time" position. The manager of my group only had about 3-4 months of work for me and when that died out other managers were not prepared to take on an employee they were not asking for. The move potentially ruined my career and I can not believe the company was not trying to be more responsible.

I was also expected to work for free when we ran out of paid work (not exaggerating - the supervisor expected 20+ hours of free work from me on the justification

Co-workers were all great. Nice as could be.
Pros
Nice office, good location
Cons
You're a workaholic or you won't make it.
Old-school management
N/A (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 18, 2017
Company's management is very old school; innovations and modern work practices are not encouraged. The workload is overwhelming, collaboration and cooperation are non-existent and the overall team spirit is very low. The management communication style is top-down and lacks transparency.
Mixed Bag
Senior Project Accountant (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WAMarch 13, 2017
Great people to work with, and is an employee owned company that allows any employee to purchase.

Going through a lot of changes, and haven't really cause up with the times.

Doesn't allow telecommuting even though there is no reason not to.
Pros
Employee Owned
Cons
Growing Pains
Great Group
Sr. Electrical Designer (Current Employee) –  Walnut Creek, CAFebruary 23, 2017
Great group of people. They went through a restructuring as far a what types of projects to bid for it seemed either we got priced out or overlooked for quite a few.
Ok Company
PROJECT MANAGER / SENIOR PROJECT ENGINEER (Former Employee) –  Walnut Creek, CAFebruary 7, 2017
Typical engineering consulting company. It is struggling to adapt to the modern world and maintain competitive salaries.
The quality of the work environment changes from office to office.
Interesting Technical Projects in a Friendly, Fun Workplace
Senior Consultant (Current Employee) –  Farmington Hills, MIDecember 28, 2016
A typical day at work is busy with either technical project work or business development activities. Management input is minimal, we have the freedom to operate and excel as our own local business. We also have the support and resources of a company with global reach, so the projects and clients are varied and interesting. Co-workers are friendly and very collegial in working together. Being a private, employee owned company promotes collaboration among offices. Technical expertise within Golder is varied and high quality.
Pros
Friendly co-workers, caring culture, technical excellence, interesting projects and clients
Cons
Lack of coordinated corporate support for local offices
Good people
Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Conshohocken, PANovember 30, 2016
Golder is a genuinely good place to work. However, the company recently tried to grow too quickly while not maintaining their original ideals. More specifically, they're management structure became more linear and top heavy.
Project Accountant (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WAAugust 1, 2016
The people or friendly, and you can really work toward your professional goals. The location is in an expensive location, so it's hard to live close enough to not have a bad commute.
Pros
You feel appreciated
Cons
Not as flexible as they could be
Strong technical environmental
Senior Engineer/Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZJuly 18, 2016
Growing company and a great place to develop technical skills. Golder has a reputation of producing high quality technical consultants spread across the globe. The company is setup in a way that allows all employees to share expertise and advice across the globe, truly making it a world of capabilities delivered locally.
Hardwork pays and able to learned most important skills and knowledge in Construction Management of a project.
Senior Techncian (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 1, 2016
Golder Associates is a global Geotechical/Environmental Company. The company's core values has an in depth emphasis on Health and Safety management,Manpower Training and Development to help attain success on employees career and lastly is the Customer Satisfaction through a Total Quality Management of the organization.

Working relationship with my peers is an exiting and enjoyable one especially when everybody is doing their job diligently. A full coordination and cooperation by everyone shall be expected and a quality product can be delivered in due time.
Pros
When the site is in good shape and compensation is implemented
Cons
Extreme weather condition.
Fun work place that is ever changing
Staff Technician (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 24, 2016
Golder Associates was a place that I would work again in an instant, the work environment was busy and always changing. If you are looking for advancement you must have an engineering degree,
nice office
Electrical/Mechanical Jr. Drafter (Former Employee) –  Walnut Creek, CAJanuary 21, 2016
Fascinating work. Good collegian atmosphere in some groups and offices. Opportunities to do most anything anywhere in the world. Long leash given to hang yourself or achieve great things. Very pleasant work environment, despite all of the layoffs and turmoil.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
short breaks
Company culture
Air Quality Scientist (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 2, 2016
Work/Life balance working at Golder is very good. The last year has seen a decline is management personal. Junior to mid-level employees will be in a great position moving towards the future.
Pros
Work/Life Balance, Personal growth, Healthcare benefits
Cons
Career growth opportunities
Good Company Poor management
Administrative Associate - General Office (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZNovember 5, 2015
I liked working for this company but the management is way off. They do not promote those who deserver it only those they like and then do very little work. I just left and heard the SW ops manager was let go so it looks like they are heading in the right direction.
Great company culture but lacking in benefits and opportunities
Environmental Engineer (Current Employee) –  FL/GAJuly 15, 2015
Company is employee owned and has an excellent culture that can proved a good work/life balance (most of the time) and a very relaxed casual office setting. However, 2014 was a very poor financial year, and after numerous layoffs and compensation/benefits cuts this company often will not meet the standard for compensation or benefits. Job security has dwindled and advancement opportunities have shrunk drastically as well.
Pros
Relaxed culutre
Cons
Poor compensation/benefits and advancement opportunities
Wonderful Company to work for
Administrative Assistant/Accounts Payable (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHJune 30, 2015
This was a fun company to work for with supportive management that want their employees to grow and develop within. I was the first point of contact for all employees and felt that we all worked well together on a variety of tasks.
Unfortunately due to global economic issues my position was eliminated. Would definitely work there again if the opportunity arose.
Pros
Compensation, teamwork, supportive
Honest review of my brief 6 months
Environmental Scientist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 24, 2015
Golders website indicates they are big on training their employees. They believe if you have done it once, you are an expert and can do it on your own. I was constantly promised training and no training ever was done. In addition to that, I felt blacklisted from doing field work due to the older associates biased opinion I wasn't cut out for it. Simply untrue. Management is awful. The PMs do not come by and talk and ever check if you need work. If you have it great, but if not, you will be wasting a lot of time. There is a lot of false promises on incoming work. The company did not turn a profit last year and has really started to decline (How does an environmental company with mining as its' largest group, not see the decline occurring and not plan for it?? Same thing with oil, and yet no one did anything or prepared for the crashes.). I was told by multiple people Golder is not the company it used to be. I should have seen the trend ahead of time, but was blind. A guy left because of the poor quality of work my first week. 3 months later, they laid off another person for not having work, and an engineer a month after being hired quit. They make promises but do not make good on them. There is major favoritism in the environmental group and some of the people are team players at all. Watch out.

Oh and if you are an engineer, you better love landfills as that is all you will do.
Pros
free keurig coffee
Cons
expensive health insurance, backstabbing, lack of work, false promises
Good
Practice Leader (Former Employee) –  conshohocken, paJune 2, 2015
Good day at work, remediation stuff, managed personnel and projects, had co-workers, work was hardest part of job and technical aspects were the most employable aspects
Pros
technical
Cons
Productive place to gain experience working in different departments
Intern Engineer (Former Employee) –  Roseville, CAJune 2, 2015
Great place to gain experience in materials testing, drafting, reading reports, preparing engineering graphs, preparing quantity takeoffs for landfill liner systems.