Goldfish Swim School

Goldfish Swim School Employee Reviews

Productive and fun work place
Customer Service Specialist/ Head Instructor (Current Employee) –  Mundelein, ILMarch 19, 2017
A typical day of work would be a productive and energetic day. Whether it be teaching skills to kids or making sales and marketing, every day was productive.
Cons
No benefits
A job for a college student
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIJanuary 6, 2017
I was applied for the customer service position. After I started, I was informed that I had to do in the water training to learn how to teach. I had no interest in teaching it's not my thing. The pay is minimum wage. At the location I was employed at, if you don't teach along with the front desk, you don't get good hours. You basically have to do both to make any money. I was a bit older than my coworkers and New so I always felt out of place. Mostly ended talking to the parents of the students.
Pros
Good for someone who need a second job
Cons
Management needs work
Fun if you're in school
Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Clarkston, MIDecember 30, 2016
This job is great if you want to work under 40 hours and only in the afternoon. The staff is friendly, but the environment is something to get used to.
Good place to work, fun employees
Swim Teacher/Lifeguard - Ages Upon Hire (Former Employee) –  Okemos, MISeptember 27, 2016
I loved working here. I had nice coworkers, consistent hours and good pay.

At Goldfish I was a lifeguard and also a swim teacher. I taught swim lessons to kids from 2-13 years old.
Magical
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Owings Mills, MDSeptember 23, 2016
I was recently hired, but so far I think it'll be one of the most amazing jobs I will ever have in my life. Great staff, fun job, and great hours not too much not too little. My first day was recent of course I was nervous, but once I was in the water teaching the kids how to better their swimming skills I was amazed i honestly love this job and may plan to pursue a career involved with children while pursuing other goals of mine.
Pros
Your never really in trouble for acting silly
Cons
Classes are one right after the other. To some this may be exaughsting.
Fun work environment
Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Clarkston, MISeptember 16, 2016
I absolutely loved working at this establishment. All of the employees and higher up workers were very friendly. Different type of job than you would expect but gained lots of new experience and knowledge.
Fun and rewarding enviroment
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Westerville, OHSeptember 8, 2016
my typical day here involves teaching multiple levels how to swim in a fun and safe manner. the hardest part about my job is lifeguarding, knowing that children are in danger if you do not do your job well.
Nice environement
Lifeguard and Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Dublin, OHJune 22, 2016
Good job for people interested in teaching. Management was very nice but had difficultly finding subs for days taken off. Co-workers were very strict, and some unpleasant. Overall, it is a good job for teens in high-school looking for a job that pays above minimum wage .
Not As Expected
Swim Teacher, Front Desk, Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  OhioJune 7, 2016
The place itself is fun and the employees are kind and funny. The management could use some help. I felt blindsided many times and not fully informed.
Pros
Good pay, hours
Cons
Usually really great but very inconsistant from location to location
Swim Instructor, Deck Teacher (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMarch 18, 2016
I worked at this company as an instructor at a branch in IL for the summer and had caring supervisors, co-workers, and a wonderful boss. I loved the job and I found it was difficult to part with the students I had helped learn how to swim. Later that year, I moved to MI and worked at Goldfish in Grand Rapids. I was very disappointed in the inconsistencies in teaching methods from branch to branch. I was expecting the experience to be similar, but Grand Rapids just doesn't care about teaching its students how to swim properly, according to the actual Goldfish curriculum. None of the employees actually followed the curriculum at all. All the specific techniques I was taught were important to the Goldfish mission at the IL location were completely different at the MI location! My co-workers in MI lacked the caring environment I saw in IL. The standard in MI was not to use the curriculum to help students actually swim correctly, but to teach the curriculum "sort of" (as one coworkers told me) and treat it more like a guideline! In addition, the staff showered its students with praise even when they were behaving badly! Furthermore, training in IL was solely based on the Goldfish mission, to help students learn how to swim correctly and to provide boundaries for students to ensure that growth is maximized and understand safety while learning the basic principles of stroke technique. I saw no such techniques laid out in Grand Rapids. The teachers had a specific way of teaching that differed widely from other locations, their methods seemed at times unsafe, off the curriculum, and  more... inconsistent. Don't work here if coming from another location. They will not accept new ideas or allow you to use your training from other facilities. My creativity as a certified teacher and swim instructor coming from another facility was severely stifled.  less
Pros
Kids are great
Cons
Curriculum doesn't matter to the teachers, who are all teaching the "curriculum" inconstantly.
Awesome place to work
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Dublin, OHFebruary 17, 2016
This was by far my favorite job. I got to work everyday and no matter what mood I was in, my boss and co-workers always made sure I was smiling and having a good time. I never had any issues with my boss or any of my co-workers. Everyone was friendly and willing to help out in any way possible. The hardest part of my job was the stress that came along with making sure that all of the kids were safe and doing what they needed to be doing.
Pros
Awesome work environment
Cons
The heat
fun interacting with the kids
Deck Supervisor/Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Burr Ridge, ILJanuary 2, 2016
Great place to work for people who love swimming and kids! I enjoyed my time here and would consider working there again if I lived closer.
Pros
fun staff/coworkers
Cons
short shifts
Fun fun fun
Swim Instructor/Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Warrensville Heights, OHNovember 30, 2015
Fun place to work especially if you love working with kids and working in the water. People are really fun and entertaining. Nice set up.
Carefree atmosphere with reliable co-workers.
Swim Coach/Deck Teacher (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MINovember 9, 2015
A typical day at Goldfish consists of moving from class to class every half hour. Each class is a different level with kids who all learn and act very differently. I have learned how to memorize the criteria for each class and use it the way it works best with each individual student. Also I have learned how to best manage my time without rushing through and ending class too early or going too slowly and running out of time for everything. My co-workers are all so great and it's helpful knowing each one of them is looking out for me. The hardest part of the job is finding patience with kids who have no motivation. My favorite part is watching the children grow as swimmers and become more comfortable with being in the water.
Pros
Great workplace.
Cons
Not a lot of room to grow within the company.
Fun, fast paced environment in the water!
Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Rochester Hills, MIApril 12, 2015
A typical day at work when working for Goldfish is coming in and changing into your suit, getting your class list of children's names and class level, and going through each 30 minute class teaching the appropriate skills necessary for their improvement as swimmers. I learned to be patient with children, and remember that they are new to the water. Management is alright, but their isn't much opportunity to move up from a swim teacher to, for example, a front desk receptionist, manager, etc. The co-workers worked very hard. The hardest part would be keeping the attention of the kids. The most enjoyable part was watching each child get better and better and more and more confident in the water.
Pros
Snacks, flexible hours
Cons
Co-workers aren't very friendly to each other, short breaks.
Productive and fun work place.
Front Desk Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Macomb, MIMarch 28, 2015
I love working for Goldfish Swim School! I love speaking to parents about the swimming program and enrolling their little ones. It's always rewarding to speak to a parent and be able to put their mind at ease about any questions or concerns they have. It's amazing to watch a child become excited about their progress when they move up to the next level.
great place for swim lessons. the program is outstanding and by far the best I have ever seen.
mod (Former Employee) –  NapervilleJanuary 20, 2015
Training that was supposed to happen for management position never happened. Felt very unwelcomed at times and like I was brought in just to fill a gap until they found someone that fit the profile better.
no benefits offered and was told by other emoloyees that you have to fight for vacation time owed.
Pros
Great lessons, great instrictors
Cons
not proper training
Swim Instructor
Clarkston Swim Instructor/Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  ClarkstonAugust 25, 2014
Arrive at work twenty minutes before lessons. We set up the pool deck as needed for the day, some days more lanes are needed than others. The Deck Supervisor will conduct a meeting telling us what the week is and what skills we need to focus on. Five minutes before lessons start, the instructors get into the pool and wait for the students to be called in. The instructor will flip the curriculum book to what level that class is. The lesson will be taught, then five minutes before the end of class, the parents are called in and the students show a skill and the instructor tells the parents what the student is doing well and what they need to work on. After the last lesson, we clean up the pool deck and have a post shift meeting: what we did well and what we need to work on.
Incredibly fun place to work!
Manager on Duty (Former Employee) –  Warrensville Heights, OHJuly 23, 2014
If you like kids and pools and 90 degrees in the winter, this place is KICKIN'! Never a dull moment, always fun and upbeat, and a wonderfully tight knit staff.
Pros
Good people, kids, 90 degree pool, caring management
Fantastic
MOD (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILMarch 3, 2014
Great experience working in a positive and friendly environment. Great support from every level of the company. Fantastic culture and a fun job to have!
Pros
Free lessons for children. Positive culture. Lots of free food
Cons
NONE!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Goldfish Swim School. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2