Golfsmith International Inc. Employee Reviews

Great for Golf Addicts
Golf Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Scarsdale, NYApril 7, 2017
It will take a long time to get aquainted to the lifestyle here if you're not up to date on all of the latest golf equipment as well as previous models 4+ years back.

There are no commissions and/or incentives at this company as well so the only way you'll stay motivated to come into work is if you like your coworkers and you like being around golf.
Pros
Free shop work, employee discounts
Cons
Short Lunches, no commision, inconsistent hours
The company has filed for bankruptcy
Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 18, 2017
Unfortunately Golfsmith has filed for bankruptcy so all employees have been told they will no longer be employed in the near future. For me Golfsmith served a purpose!
Outstanding Team,... I'm going to miss them,... a lot.
Senior Business Analyst / IT Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 3, 2017
Things were a bit crazy from time to time at Golfsmith.

We had good managers, but the door at the executive level was revolving constantly.

The IT Team I was working with, were outstanding as can be seen by the recommendations I've written for many of them (on Linkedin).

Many of us would have stayed, but unfortunately, due to decisions made by folks at a higher level, a few years back, we had to close the doors.

It was a good company, but unfortunately the Golfing Market really was in decline.

If you run across any of the IT Resources, snap them up. You won't be disappointed.
Great
Receiving Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lake Grove, NYJanuary 12, 2017
I loved working at this place. The atmosphere was great. Everyone got along.

The management team of the store cared about the wellbeing of the staff.
It's a pity that it went out of business
Bitter Sweet
Shipping and Replenishment Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 11, 2016
Company was a great place to work at overall, went bankrupt unfortunately. Saw a future with the company but due to the poor decisions of higher ups the company failed.
Pros
Advancement Opportunities
Cons
Few weekends or holidays off
Productive work place and very fun to work here
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, CONovember 2, 2016
By far one of the best places that i have worked so far. Being in the golf industry is very hard to do because you need to know what you are talking about when talking about golf clubs and also fixing golf clubs. Its the only place that i have ever been that is very knowledgeable.
Easy position
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Pembroke Pines, FLAugust 7, 2016
Overall this job is extremely easy. It doesn't take much to be a cashier plus the staff is all really nice and if you ever need to take a shift off they'll accommodate to your needs.
Pros
free things
Cons
short breaks
Fun Workplace for golfers
Sales Associate/ Club Repair (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCOctober 22, 2015
Golfsmith is a fun workplace for those interested in the game of golf. The co-workers all have common interests and are easy to get along with.
You love golf this is the place to work.
Receiver (Former Employee) –  Warrensvl Hts, OHOctober 17, 2015
High opportunity for sales. Commission based sales so this is great. But, you are expected to engage customers and capture the sales. Strong community due to being bound by all being golfers.
Cons
Sometimes you are the target of customer abuse
Productive and Fun Workplace
Operational Manager (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 22, 2013
When I arrive at work, there is emails and paperwork to be done. I speak with the GM and find out what is going on for the day and where we are in sales. I assist customers with anything and everything that they are needing. I inform the associates about what is going on now and what is going to happen soon. Throughout the day, there will always be customers that are very difficult and I make sure that I am accommodating them the best way I can with a smile. I enjoy being able to talk about fun things with everyone.
Pros
free giftcards for outstanding service to go toward anything
Cons
short breaks