Good Samaritan Hospital Medical Center

Good Samaritan Hospital Medical Center Employee Reviews

Senior Surgical Tech (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 20, 2015
Fun work, Happy Empoyees for the most part. Sadly not much growth potential for me, but maybe there is for you. Many cutbacks recently, going threw a lean period. Downtown Traffic is brutal.
Pros
It pays the bills
Cons
Expencive cafatera with horrible food no employee discount
Tough Environment
RN (Current Employee) –  West Islip, NYOctober 16, 2015
Very poor culture, led by Senior Team that are do as I say, not as I do. Sending the HR stuff to CHS was the worst idea ever.

That's all I have to say.
A challenging workplace leads to advancement
Certified Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati OHSeptember 24, 2015
My job requires a variety of work tasks. I enjoy my job because it's always a challenge each day. It's very unpredictable because you never know what to expect in the healthcare work force. I love a challenge because it makes me become a stronger and more advanced coworker andv my workplace. We all work as a team to assist or to answer any questions that we've hardly or never came in contact with before. So if one of us doesn't have an answer then we always have backup.
Pros
Working as a team.
promotes professional development
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  West Islip, NYSeptember 3, 2015
Good Samaritan Hospital promotes professional development. I was able to mentor and precept new nurses. Assumed charge nurse responsibilities where I oversaw the unit, provided guidance to staff and responded to stressful situations. A typical day at work is challenging but working as a team help us go through.
interesting people
Laboratory Services-Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  West Islip, NYAugust 3, 2015
as hospitals go, it is an interesting place to work. Diverse workforce together with plenty of unique experiences exist there. The workload can be erratic, depending on the shift, the shift size, and the patient population. Important to remember it is a HOSPITAL, it does not close-ever. Be prepared to work holidays and weekends. You are compensated for it with overtime, extra vacation days, etc.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
they forget you have a life outisde the hospital walls
great place to work
Unit Secretary (Former Employee) –  West Islip, NYAugust 3, 2015
I enjoyed working at Good Samaritan Hospital. I worked on the Dialysis, I was responsible for patients charts and all their daily information, I supplied the nursing staff with everything they needed to run a smooth and organized unit.
Pros
great staff, not only coworkers but friends
Cons
salary could have been better
Busy cardiac unit
Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  West Islip, NYMay 11, 2015
I thoroughly enjoy the people I work with. A typical day, as in any healthcare setting, can be quite hectic, but with teamwork, everything gets done. Patient care and safety is a top priority and I would feel comfortable if my family member had to go to this hospital.
Good co-workers
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  West Islip, NYMarch 7, 2015
I learned a wealth of information from my coworkers and I respect them immensely for their knowledge and skill. Fast paced work environment and there was little or no time for a break. My first manager was verbally abusive and a bully but eventually got moved to a different unit, allowing for a better, more approachable manager to take over. Never enough time for patients, but not unlike other medical hospitals. Pay was reasonable and competitive, and benefits were good.
Pros
overnight cafeteria hours, skilled nurses
Cons
no breaks
Family enviroment
RN Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  West Islip, NYFebruary 13, 2015
A great place to work, family environment. Room for advancement, growth. Management is approachable, open door policy.
Very caring staff
Phlebotomist / Central Receiving Coordinator (Former Employee) –  West Islip, NYJanuary 15, 2015
A great place to work, loved my co-workers, new management not as caring about staff as previous management.
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
scheduled hours of work varied too much - working holidays and weekends

Want to know more about Good Samaritan Hospital Medical Center?

Ask a question
Growing medical center
Peri-Operative Surgical Assistant (Former Employee) –  West Islip, NYJanuary 12, 2015
Good Samaritan was a growing medical center while I worked there. They were building the brand new open heart surgical suites while I was still working so it was a very stressful and pressure packed time when I had left the operating room in 2012. For the most part, as in most places of employment, a typical workday was enjoyable and co-workers were helpful and team oriented.
Fast Pace Environment
TRANSPORTER (Current Employee) –  West Islip, NYDecember 5, 2014
A typical day includes interacting with nurses and a variety of staff members to collaborate where the patient is being transported to. Once a request has been submitted as a transporter, I must identify the patient and safely transfer them to a stretcher or wheelchair. I must be mindful of any IV fluids, catheters, or drains a patient may have. Some patients require portable oxygen which I am obligated to provide. As a transporter I am also required to pick up medications from the pharmacy, products from the blood bank and deliver specimens to the laboratory.
The hardest part of my job is the physical requirements. As a transporter, I am constantly moving patients and equipment throughout the hospital. This is a physically demanding position.
The most enjoyable part of my job is interacting with patients and staff members.
Pros
overtime is always available.
Cons
breaks maybe cut short do to high volume of transports.
Excellent job
F/T Emergency Room Patient Account Representative (Current Employee) –  West Islip, NYAugust 21, 2014
It is a privilege to work at the facility, it has offered me both personal and professional growth.
Great
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  West Islip, NYJune 26, 2014
I love working in this company and my co-workers. management is great.
Saving lives on a daily basis!
Peri- Operative Assistant- Operating Room (Current Employee) –  1000 Montauk Hwy, West Islip NY 11795May 7, 2014
Although I work with patients and not with customers the thought of it is exactly the same. You are looking to satisfy the patient/ customers. This includes the family that comes in with the patients before they head into surgery as well as post op, when they come to visit. I learned that working with others is very interesting. You learn about others opinions and what they have learned in the past that make them a better person today. You learn about new techniques that you can apply to help the patient feel like they're at home. Management is taken very seriously because you are working with people, you need to be professional. The management department is always on top of executing an outstanding outcome for the patient while they are in our facility as well as post op. This includes follow up calls, and making sure that everything is okay. My co-workers are like my family! We all get along great and in a life or death situation communication is key to ensure a safe environment for the patient. There is no hard part in this job. You have duties that need to be completed at the end of each shift but your main priority is the patient and their status on how they are doing. It is an everyday to day experience, you always have to be on your feet and think fast because you never know what comes through the Emergency Room and up into the Operating Room. You have to know where things are and know how to multi task and have great communication with others. You need to learn how to work in groups or individually because sometimes the help you need is not always there because of short  more... staff. The most enjoyable part of my job is to see the patient and family happy. I don't consider it a job, I consider it a life changing experience to help others!  less
Pros
very flexible schedule
Cons
no food for the night shift employees
fast paced workplace
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  West Islip, NYMarch 28, 2014
Gained many new responsibilities as time went on
worked for many different subsections of my department
had some, but little patient interaction
learned a lot and made great friends
New Hire a nice place to work.
Nurse Tech/Nurse Technician (Former Employee) –  West Islip, New YorkNovember 28, 2013
I am a New Hire less then a month. To be exact I have been here at Good Samaritan 19 days. I do like the way managment handled my employment. It has been professional from the day I was called in for a interview from the time I started working here even up to yesterday November 27, 2013
Productive and proactive environmet
Medical Records Clerk lI (Former Employee) –  West Islip, NYSeptember 21, 2013
As an employee of Good Samaritan hospital, I learned how to multi task several situations at once. For example, you may be assigned to assemble charts for the day, but be required to pull charts, speak with new parents and obtain their background information, in addition to your coworkers asking questions and assisting patients that come in to request health information. Because I learned how to handle multiple situations at once, it resulted in exceptional organization skills, customer service presentation, and enjoyment of a fast pace, stressful atmosphere. At the end of the day,management and the workers always worked hand in hand to accomplish the tasks of the day.
Pros
laid back atmosphere
Thoroughly enjoyed working as a medical transcriptionist.
Medical Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  West Islip, NYJune 24, 2013
I was very blessed working at Good Samaritian Hospital. After working as an in-house transcriptionist from June 2004-June 2007, I was given the opportunity to be a remote transcriptionist and work for them from home from September 2007- February 2012 where upon I returned to working as an in-house transcriptionist from February 2012-November 2012.
Secretary to Director of Medical Education
Secretary/Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  West Islip, NYMay 17, 2013
My main function was to ensure that interns and residents were compliant and give feedback to the Director.
I learned that residents are very driven people, so our doctors
The Director were several different hats; she did her job very well
My co-workers had different responsibilites than I and as a team we kept the office, residents and management happy with our performance
Preparing for graduation of the residents
Seeing the interns and residents fulfill their dreams