GOOD SAMARITAN NURSING HOME Employee Reviews in United States

Awesome job, depressing environment
Dietary Assistant (Former Employee) –  Delmar, NYJune 21, 2016
The job and requirements was easy and fun. However the nursing home environment is not for everyone. Its depressing and you get attached to the residents quickly, and the potential for loosing a resident you're potentially close with is high.
excellent nursing home
Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  S Daytona, FLAugust 23, 2016
very busy and at times hectic workplace. At times short staffed, making individual work load heavier. CNAs at times had negative attitude toward duties. Good staff to work with overall.
Pros
A good lunch break.
Cons
Heavy workload hard to complete at times.
Good work environment, good communication
Dietary Aide (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 8, 2016
On the job activity from day to day always involve a co-ordinated efford by the staff to complete all tasks leading to the dietary needs of all patients
Pros
Buy Lunch
Cons
Timely Breaks, healthcare is good
Very caring people
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INDecember 18, 2015
The most enjoyable part of the job was my residents. They were always so happy to be alive, which in turn, gave me a sense of hope. I learned that you have to work at things in order to get better, and there is always room for improvement. Management worked well with scheduling. They would do anything that they could to make sure you had the time off that you needed. The people I worked with were great. They always made tough situations a lot easier. I just want to thank them for giving me the opportunity they did.
Pros
Great shift differential and weekend option pay
i enjoyed the short term i was there.
CNA (Former Employee) –  aztec nmNovember 23, 2015
everyone was nice. nurses did their job excellent. cna did excellent care. every employee were very organized. i learned a lot working night shifts. i had the chance to work on every unit. even the locked unit.
Pros
good about letting us drink eat their facilty food and beverages for free.
Cons
not enough therapy
productive place of employment
Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Avon, OHDecember 15, 2015
I really enjoy working with the patients. I also appreciate the team efforts I have with my co-workers. The ultimate goal is patient satisfaction
Pros
good work environment
Cons
work load
unsafe and miserable place to work
Dietary aide/CNA (Former Employee) –  Keosauqua, IAOctober 23, 2015
I felt so relieved when I left this job. Your work was never satisfying or complete at the end of your shift, you did the work of 3 employees no management to take control and fix problems the nursing home had.
Pros
overtime
Cons
Unsafe
Great place to work at!
State Tested Nurses Aide (Former Employee) –  Avon, OHJune 12, 2015
I was a float between the floors for the first few weeks. Then I established my "own hall" which I was on for almost 2 years. I was able to form a relationship with the residents as well as my co workers that worked the same hall with me.
Pros
"family" feeling with co workers"
Cons
Residents passing
residence are encouraged to participate in activities.
CNA (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSJune 5, 2015
Very fast paced physical job. I learned to treat people as I will be treated, this is not just a JOB, this affects lives. Co workers were all hard workers. Hardest part of the job was the physicality required to complete job well.
Pros
helping people daily
Cons
short breaks
Certified Nursing Assistant
Certified Nurse's Aide (Former Employee) –  Delmar, NYJuly 6, 2014
the most improtant start in my career was working with the elderly helped me through my most difficult challeges of my life and has helped me to be more empathetic to certain situations i learned alot and it has made me intot the person that i am today i love the way this employment changed my perspective in alot of ways and would ot change it for the world. the paitents were great very humble and understanding and morals and teaching are what i practice in my every day life.
Pros
learning the morals and stories of patients
Cons
n/a
It is a job where if the census drops by a few people, we are to drop off 15 minutes. Have one unit we do not even count in the census.
Cook (Current Employee) –  Brainerd, MNJanuary 29, 2014
The day starts at 4:45 when we start cooking breakfast. There are two cooks for this meal. We each do a part. Then we switch and go into cooking lunch. The meal is all prepared by 10:00 in the morning. Then we have cleaning and paperwork to do before we serve the noon meal. We end the day by washing pots and pans and cleaning up our serving station.
Cons
they are not ordering the correct supplies to do the job that they are wanting us to complete.
assisting elderly with daily life activities
nac (Former Employee) –  Yakima, WAFebruary 26, 2014
I enjoyed working with the elderly, however I don't believe they always received the care they deserved. I'm a big person on advocating for people who need it and I can honestly say the elderly need better care. My typical day would have included but not limited to assisting with hygiene, activities, feeding, ensuring a safe and caring environment.
Pros
i love interaction with the elderly
Cons
not everyone did proper care.
Hard work, and add more and more for less pay.
LPN Charge Nurse (Current Employee) –  Avon, OHJune 25, 2012
Start off well and then you find out that you don't have enough staff and have to pick up more work. Pay cut 12% no raises for two years. Add more and more work on the nurses and less pay.What I have learned working there is I never want to work there again. Management stinks and don't have a clue of what they are doing except saving money by cutting pay , cutting staff and having staff more than one job. The hardest part of the job is having your pay cut and giving your all. Enjoyable part of job is the residents and making a difference in there lives.
Cons
pay cuts and no raises.
Great environment and wonderful atmosphere
Certified Nurses Aid (Former Employee) –  Ottumwa, IAJanuary 29, 2014
I wouldn't work from 2-10 pm 5 days a week with every other weekend. I learned patients and team work. The management was wonderful and was always there if you needed them. They also worked with my hectic schedule. The hardest part of that job was getting close to the residents and them passing away. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know and spending time with the residents.
A family-oriented, fun and loving place to work.
LPN (Former Employee) –  Franklinton, LAJune 1, 2012
I worked several years at Good Samaritan as an LPN. I found that during the years iof my employment, the co-workers became somewhat like family. I can't recall having any bad experiences as an employee. The attachment that each employee has with the residents is amazing. We were ALL one BIG happy family. The work was not easy, but just being a part of this family was rewarding in itself. I would definatelyconsider reapplying to work at this facility again. Many of the coworkers are still employed at Good Sam, even after I left there since 2000. That speaks for itself. A great place to work. A great atmosphere. Great people...(and often, great food!)
Pros
great atmosophere, loving employees, family-oriented
Cons
no retirement plan or 401k
Christian Based Organization sadly severely understaffed.
Staff, LPN (Current Employee) –  Saint Croix Falls, WIOctober 20, 2013
Christian based organization, "In Christ's Love, Everyone is Equal". Great team co-operation co-workers. Very enjoyable working with the elderly. I've learned a great deal about dialysis patients and diabetics while working here. One of the hardest parts of the job is working short staffed and either having to pass medications, do treatments, chart and do CNA work at the same time. One of the most enjoyable parts of the job is to see positive progress in a resident's condition.
Pros
staff that is there is fantastic.
Cons
long stretch of constantly being short staffed of cnas, nurses being pulled off medication carts, and put on the floor to work as a cna, never knowing where you will be working, unsolicited or unscheduled overtime.
Loved caring for people and making a difference
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Sayville, NYMay 21, 2014
Medications
Wound Care
25 residents on my assignment daily
Supervised Nursing Assts
G-Tube feedings
Healthcare teaching to rehab patients and family
Part of the healthcare team to assess needs, plan of care and interventions for residents
Pros
residents were my family
Cons
always short staffed and couldnt spent alot of time with each resident
Nursing Home without Ethics
Nurse Assistant (NA) (Former Employee) –  Simla, COJuly 2, 2013
The stuff I learned in my CNA classes was to be disregarded and everything was to be done differently than the safe ways I learned. I couldn't remain somewhere where I felt that my morals and the safety of others was being disregarded.
Pros
met great people
Cons
unethical, poor communication, bad management
Team oriented environment.
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Johnstown, PAMarch 2, 2014
Manning collaborations allowed for successful completion of necessary daily tasks. Very warm and friendly environment for the residents, visitors, and workers. I wish I could have lived in Pennsylvania longer to work in this environment at that age.
Everyone pulled together. It was real team work. The company was good to the residents and staff.
LPN (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSAugust 13, 2011
Always enough staff members. The meals were good. Facility was very clean. Plenty of acitivities for the residents and special activities and events for staff members. It was a fun place to work.

GOOD SAMARITAN NURSING HOME Reviews by Location