Good Shepherd Hospice Employee Reviews

Good colleagues and work; lots of regulations and restraint; high turnover and understaffed
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Polk County, FLMarch 8, 2017
I loved the work there and I was effective and appreciated by immediate supervisors and colleagues. Every day was different and challenging and I mostly gained satisfactory outcomes. Made some wonderful friends. I had a great deal of independence and a fair amount of flexibility and was able to find help when I needed it. Benefits were adequate for me and there were ample time off opportunities. Upper management is very top heavy and overbearing. The organization is chronically understaffed and has high turnover in most positions.
Pros
Great friends and colleagues; benefit package
Cons
Understaffed overworked employees, many new policies rolled out regularly, causing hardships on all. Lots of turnover. Large corporate micromanagement with many moving parts
CSHLI-Good shepherd is the worse
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Farmingdale, NYJune 4, 2016
Good Shepherd hospice (chsli) is one the the most poorly managed hospice agencies I have ever worked for. I easily worked a 55-60 hours a week when I was only compensated for 37.5. There is constant turn over of staff, no one ever stays. Therefore constantly doing your workload plus someone else's. There is no opportunity to advance your pay or taking continuing educations credits. You are never allowed to take vacation when you want to. They do not care about their employees or the challenging work we do as hospice nurses.
Pros
It's a pay check
Cons
Extremely understaffed, Poor management, long hours with no compensation or OT
Good Shepherd Hospice
RN. Duties (Former Employee) –  Port Jefferson, NYMarch 9, 2017
Management went above and beyond expected duties in assisting the nursing staff. Bonding with families and providing pain relief for terminal ill patients. The physical outlays of the unit made challenging to cover on foot.
Pros
taking with famlies concerning end of life treatment.
Cons
dealing with multiple families at the same time
The company is poorly run
Hospice Liaison (Current Employee) –  Farmingdale, NYJuly 17, 2016
The company is fine if you want to have no private life or relationships. It is poorly run. Management knows nothing about hospice. Just numbers. Nurses do not stay.
Pros
Benefits, salary
Cons
Nanagment knows nothing about hospice!
Awesome
Field RN September (Former Employee) –  Farmingdale, NY 11735November 27, 2016
I never felt so supported in my nursing career. Run very well. Patient care is primary. Excellent pay. Flexible schedule. All around great place to work.
admissions RN
Admissions RN (Former Employee) –  Melville, NYFebruary 26, 2017
excellent orientation
at times, case assignments go much beyond work day
often required extensive travel time
documentation required by regulations very time consuming
Great place to work!
RN Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKApril 14, 2016
The only reason I left is because I wanted to relocate and there were no openings where I wanted to relocate. Management is open to suggestion. Great benefits. Case load was high. Team nursing did not come into play. Nurse aides were great!
Compassionate
Team Secretary (Current Employee) –  Lakeland, FLNovember 6, 2016
A compassionate place for patient care. It takes a special kind of heart to help these patients and family members. A beautiful building and some amazing employees.
Very unorganized and overwhelming
RN Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Independence, MOJanuary 6, 2016
Management is unorganized, and ask employees to do things they don't want to do just to get the job done, visits all day chart all night plus being oncall, benefits are very expensive and not very good, drive all over KC and surrounding areas without consideration. No outside life due to job requirements.
A commited and compassionate team!
Regional Sales Director (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMay 21, 2015
The leadership team and Executive Directors within this company are intelligent, commited, and compassionate! The patient care staff is outstanding! Opportunity is abundant for those who want to work hard! Many CEOs hide out, but GSH's is always on the road visiting the agencies and providing support.

As with any agency in the healthcare field, there are certainly ups and downs--but that comes with the territory! Many large hospice agencies lose sight of the patients, but while working here, I never felt like that was the case.

The Oklahoma City office has folks on staff that have been with the company since they opened 20 years ago. You don't see that very often!
Pros
The People, The Mission and Vision, The Opportunity for Development
Not the best
On call LPN (Former Employee) –  Grove, OKAugust 15, 2016
Not the best environment. They pick favorites & others don't matter. Fit in or stay on the outside. They don't listen to patients or families. Must go to Grove office in order to participate in activites.
RN Case Manager
RN Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJune 19, 2016
Oversee/ teach LPN, Home Health Aide, LSW, and Chaplain team members on the dying process and necessary care Obtain New Orders for medications and treatments as needed for quality patient care for end of life care and needs Make clinical decisions and assess patient needs for end of life care and comfort until patient expires. Comfort family members during end of life process
Pros
Flexible time schedule
Cons
Too much charting after hours
Gratifying work if you can get it, not for everyone.
Continuous Care LPN (Former Employee) –  Sebring, FLMarch 2, 2015
Management not always supportive of nurse, The "client is always right" mentality. Recognition typically comes from those you help and outstanding care not always recognized from hire-ups. Census can go down for long periods of time (this being snowbird territory and competing hospice houses)) therefore caas for the Continuous Care nurse may be nil. You are expected to be on stand-by without compensation. In lean times nurse must use their PTO to have full paycheck. 12 hour shifts which may involve long commuting time to and from a case. All this being said, being a hospice nurse was one of the most gratifying and special experiences I've ever had. You can really make a difference and most familys are very grateful for the care only you can provide.
Pros
Making a tangible difference.
Cons
Dealing with death and dying is not for everyone.
Poor training
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJuly 22, 2016
On the surface it seems like a great company, but training that was promised didn't occur. I got to accompany several nurses, but no real training involved.
Pros
Employees are nice
Cons
Poor training, communication
Very Professional Positive Environment
Hospice Nurse (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMay 5, 2013
This is the greatest place I've ever worked . I have never heard so many pleases and thank you's since I've been a nurse. The training is beyond adequate and people are very helpful rather than lording their skill sets over you ie. PhD,MD, NP, RN , etc.. If you are negative , condescending, and like to stir up trouble this is not the place for you. If you want to work around some of the most professional, caring , and dedicated people I've ever been around my whole adult life , then you might consider GSH.
Pros
Compensation, PTO, Career advancement
Cons
To much good food, hard to resist.
High Stress Level Job
Office Manager/Billing Clerk/Consultant (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 1, 2016
I enjoyed the work place and co workers however it was high stress and a lot of turn over which led to the high stress. Otherwise, I enjoyed my years there.
work with the best nurses and cnas
Hospice Aide (Current Employee) –  Bartow, FLJune 6, 2016
the best job I have ever worked. Love it. everyone loves their patients and what being a caregiver stands for. whether you're and R.N, C.N.A, Social Worker ect. we all come together to care for our patients
Fast paced
LMSW / Volunteer Coordinator (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 24, 2015
Small agency, expanded my knowledge base in my career. Opportunity to hold additional position to gain more knowledge and add to my career. Management needs improvement.
Its a very Clean and neat place to work for a Hospice House.
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  3450 Lakeland Hills blvdDecember 2, 2015
I really enjoyed working for Good shepherd Hospice its a great place, peaceful and clean. I learn to work with terminal ill Patient caring within 9 to 12 Patient per day. The hardest part of the job is when the census is low and the company send you home. The most enjoyable part of the Job is assist a Patient to Pet therapy. The reason I left is because they gave me Layoff. My position was eliminated on 11/18/15.
Pros
Good benefit for employed
Cons
Change your days of work constantly. They call you on your days off
Fast paced
Director of Professional Relations (Current Employee) –  Lakeland, FLFebruary 27, 2016
The company has a lot of longevity and a very good name in the community.At times it is slow to respond to business changes and adapt new programs.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Good Shepherd Hospice. Our community is ready to answer.