Good Shepherd Services Employee Reviews in United States

Awesome place to work.
Career Success Coach (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 8, 2015
Love working here at GSS, there is room for advancement always. I love the way management cares about line staff as people and not numbers.
Always active
Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMarch 25, 2016
I would come in the morning and be home by the afternoon. i would be place where ever they needed a position filled in. Every group I was placed in I had fun with the kids. my co-workers were once my group leaders. There weren't really any hard times in my job
Pros
Always moving and enjoying myself
Cons
some disrespect children
Productive and enjoyable job.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYDecember 1, 2015
Colleagues are a pleasure to work with. Management and HR could be better supportive. Working with children is the best part of the job. Being Administrative Assistant can be a very fast paced. There is room for growth.
Good work value and committment to foster growth
Supervisor, Family Foster Care/Adoption Services (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYFebruary 11, 2015
Foster care is a difficult job in itself and Good Shepherd offers you the basic knowledge and opportunities to advance in the field to certain degree, more so through education. The hardest part is job work/life balance but the best part of the job is sharing a family's overall growth.
Pros
the wealth of knowledge available if you seek it
Cons
job culture diminished as management shifted
productive great learning experience
Beginning Intern (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYMay 1, 2016
fun preparing for new students to enroll
learn how to do payroll and take notes
calling other schools
preparing for events
Pros
worked in a school i attended
Sanctuary Based Agency
Case Planner (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYOctober 20, 2015
The agency makes it its business to ensure the physical and emotional well-being of its participants and employees. The agency encourages its employees to return to school and work on their personal growth, as an indiviudal and professionally.
Pros
Supportive administrative staff
Cons
Long hours, Stressful
productive and build on patience
program aid (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 14, 2016
working with children can be over whelming. but the company prepares you by sending you to training so you can understand what to do at all times very organize. also a lot of great people work there so its easy to work on your team building.
Pros
works around your school schedule
Cons
healthcare, not a lot of hours
Youth Development Counselor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 19, 2016
Great place to work, some of the staff is supportive, allows you to return back to school to further you education. The residents become more like family.
Pros
Bulid meaning relationships
Cons
Under staff
Diverse cultures which comes together to better the community for youths and parents.
Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Bronx/Brooklyn, NYSeptember 10, 2014
A typical day at work consists of engaging students to expand their academics & skills. I have learned so much about the communities and cultures. Management is good. Co-workers were alright for most of the times. The hardest part of the job is not having enough time with helping a child. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing you made a difference in a child life, for the better.
Pros
company pays well.
Cons
no benefits.
A good non profit
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 12, 2015
I loved the staff/team I was able to work with (at an afterschool program). For the most part, everyone is really passionate about helping children.
For a nonprofit, the hourly pay rate is great, however hours are capped at about 18-20 for part time workers.
The upper management was annoying and a big downside to this organization. Seem to do so little, but always have unnecessary suggestions.
Essentially, be ready to do a lot of work outside of your job description and rarely get noticed or rewarded. I didn't mind this aspect because I loved being able to help, but if bonuses and rewards are what you seek, look elsewhere.
Pros
Fun and passionate coworkers
Cons
district directors, not a lot of hours offered, few incentives
Excellent family oriented agency
Case Planner (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYDecember 12, 2015
At my time at Good Shephered Services, I not only learned the essentials to being an effective Case Planner, I was entrusted in handling my work as my leadership enstilled effective problem soliving tactics which helped get the job done on a daily basis.
Great introduction to youth development
staff member (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJuly 7, 2014
I truly loved my experience working with youth and families in the Bronx. a typical day included making phone calls, attending meetings, conducting home visits, and preparing for workshops. Management was great in terms of supervising and assisting with supporting the work and professional development. The organization gives employees a chance to increase skills by having them take trainings. The hardest part of the job was unexpected situations that impacted the deliverables needed to give concrete outcomes. The most enjoyable part of the job was connecting community members to programming for youth and families of foster care youth.
Pros
trainings, support by supervisors, co-workers, work culture excellent
Cons
lack of capacity for programs
Best Job I ever had! I learned so much and enjoyed the job.
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJune 10, 2015
A typical day at work consisted of constant communication, organization, and lots of paperwork. Overall I experienced a professional work environment in an office setting. I learned all about being reliable and learning to multitask and assist with responsibilities. My duties consisted of answering phonecalls, making phonecalls, faxing documents, reviewing and sending out paperwork, scheduling, faciliating communication between the staff and clients arranging and organizing information, events, and appointments for social workers, counselours, principals, and other staff. I also greeted students, clients and parents at the office, providing them with their needs and information, and even running errands like getting them coffee or food. The moment I started working, I clicked with the whole staff and management, and they really made me feel like a valued and trusted assistant. I felt very supported and grateful to be working with such kind and hard working people. The most enjoyable part of this job was, well.....everything! I don't have a single negative thing to say about this work experience.
Rewarding and long hours
Assistant Program Director (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYNovember 15, 2012
My day at work included the coordination of community servive events to increase enrollment efforts, as well as creating and researching curriculum for the after school program. i have prepared reports and maintained records and databases to track participants attendance and for inventory purposes. Management was a great help in some aspects of this job, however the most beneficial component to this job was the children and the parents. the hardest part of this job was leaving to pursue my dream of finishing my degree. the most enjoyable experience of this position as the creation process and to witness familes gain independency and self sufficient lives.
Pros
school trips, vacation, and holiday schedules. as well as benefits and discounts.
Cons
short breaks
Activites, Lesson plans, enjoy working with kids.
Program Aide (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYMarch 14, 2014
My experience as a Program Aide at Good Shepherd Services would be satisfactory. On a daily basis I pick up children from school and take them to the after school program that we provide. My duties are to make sure their homework is done and get them ready for an educational activity i.e learning sign language, arts and crafts or self esteem workshops. My hardest part of the job is keeping the children seated and away from distraction. Children tend to get distracted when there is not much to do, but I try my best to engage them in fun activities where they are having fun and learning all together. My most enjoyable time at work is when the kids have structure and they are feeling good. Management is okay, I understand who my superiors are but I am not treated like a subordinate, fortunately I am treated with respect including the rest of my co-workers, I consider us to be a family.
Pros
learning how to do lesson plans, i love working with kids.
Cons
no breaks, or benefits.
Monitor youth and do check ins. Supportive co-workers. Learned a lot of patience and learned a lot about myself.
Youth Development Counselor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 31, 2015
I work overnight so when I come in we do a community meeting check in with the youth to see their feelings also to make sure no one is triggered. Monitor youth interactions with other youth. If participants cant sleep counsel youth to see what changes has happened recently in their lives. If an altercation was to occur follow protocol. Participants are taken to the hosipital if they need to go, AWOL reports are done for children who do not return to the facility by their given curfew. I learned a lot of patient techniques and how to speak to children. What to do if they are triggered as well as what to do if I am triggered. My co-workers are amazing a well rounded support team. Management could be more supportive but I get extreme support from my co-workers so it balances out. The hardest part of the job would be hearing some of the trauma stories, dealing with extreme disrespect or getting too attached with a youth and she transitions out. The most enjoyable part is seeing the participants happy and them realizing certain mistakes their making and correcting them.
Cons
Long shifts
Automotive HS Location
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 25, 2015
Worked as a temp but had the opportunity to move up. Co-workers very professional and friendly. Awesome management. Work with 17 1/2 years old to 20 year old kids to help them get their HS diploma via night classes. Interacted with the principal of the school and reported the attendance daily.
Pros
Get to attend the school events with the kids
Program Aide (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 7, 2015
Typical day at work is a lot of work being done, sort on staff and no type of organization. I've learned you cant always look out for others because they only look out for themselves. Management wasn't so great, a lot of things wasn't handled properly. My co workers were ok. Most of the time they wasn't there so I had to cover for them. The hardest part of the job I would say would be handling a child that needs more help then we could have provided. The most enjoyable part of the job was teaching the kids something new and different each day no matter how bad the conditions were.
Very productive
Summer Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYNovember 5, 2015
I enjoyed working with the children. I learned a lot of others although there were some challenges such as dealing with different emotions I still managed to keep thing well.
High energy/ welcoming environment
Assistant Program Director (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 25, 2015
Welcoming work place. Outgoing people. Hard workers. Organized. Each day was unexpected. I love the participants and their families. The staff were like a family. There was always something new or exciting happening.
Pros
The children and the relationships that were built
Cons
Never enogh time in the day.

4.2