Good Shepherd Services Employee Reviews

Experience Leading a Multi-faceted Program
Program Director (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 22, 2017
Good Shepherd Services was my most challenging position as a Program Director. We were located in a tough area where engaging the community was difficult. I had to get super creative! That part of the job I enjoyed the most. Unfortunately, I wish I had more time to turn the program around as the given timeframe was not practical. Also, I wish there was more support from the community leadership in reaching creative collaborations as well as more support from my executive management team in shifting the culture of my program.
Pros
Able to Use My Creativity
Cons
Had a Challenging Time Shifting the Culture of the Center/ Community
relaxed atmosphere
Youth Internship Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYMay 12, 2017
Although the environment was not so rigid, work was done and the students were able to get the support that they sought. the company offered many training classes to help push staff to advance in their career.
Excellent summer job
Water Safety Instructor (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYMay 10, 2017
It never felt like I was working. The employees and children made the day run smooth. Management was accessible and helpful. All the information I need to work was provided.
Pros
Traveled around NYC
Cons
Temporary employment
fun workplace
Group Leader (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYApril 25, 2017
I love working with kids. Fun and safe environment. This is a job that I have worked the least hours but enjoyed the most working at. Very family oriented.
management
Family Foster Care (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYApril 21, 2017
Management is poor, leadership needs to be retrained in people skills and management skills. Often felt like there is no guidance. Supervision is a joke. This is a job to earn money its not like career based. there is no growth.
Cons
salary
workplace culture
Social Work Intern (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 20, 2017
Interning at Good Shepherds is a beneficial experience. The Juvenile justice division is simply amazing. I would love to continue being a part of this great organization.
Nice place to work at
Office Assistant / Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYApril 18, 2017
Family oriented environment. the workers at the agency are very friendly. the director is very reasonable and compassionate. they try their best to work as a team.
Incredible workplace with an amazing mission
Electronic Medical Record Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Halethorpe, MDApril 10, 2017
Good Shepherd Services has been a place for me to grow miles in my career and more importantly as a human being.

Besides the work, the mission to help youth who have been through some of the roughest walks of life is an amazing one. I have seen countless youth come through here and leave with a much better outlook on life because of the incredible staff and the hard work that everyone as a team puts in to make a difference. We really are making a difference here and that is something you can't put a value on.

Each day, I come in and greet my department of phenomenal people. There are only 3 of us but we work hard and seamlessly together to get everything Medical Records related and otherwise taken care of in as quick a manner as possible. I have learned so much from my co-workers in how a Medical Records department should be run and how to effectively keep everything organized and easily accessible.

I run audits to check for accuracy on important documentation such as clinical notes and assessments, shift notes, medical assessments and progress notes, education summaries, and much more. I assist staff in completing their work and help anyone who needs support with Avenues, our SQL based electronic medical record system. I check information in unusual incident reports to make sure that incidents are documented properly and accurately.

Among those daily duties, I also develop the EMR to create new forms, notes and assessments that we will use to improve our documentation and record keeping of the youth we are providing treatment for. I use my general IT skills
  more... to setup machines, support computer, printer, network, driver issues etc for all the departments. Though not technically part of the IT department I have a very close relationship with them and like to be involved in anything they could use my help with. I have also developed a database for tracking incident reports that get sent to referring agencies.

A big part of my job is training. I train all new users on our EMR system, and more importantly how to properly document notes and assessments as well as incident reports to follow protocol. I have become very acquainted with orientation and training new employees on our protocols, HIPAA law, and also guiding through our large complex lock-down building.

The management are always friendly and supportive. I always feel welcome to come to them and chat.

The general workplace is one full of positive vibes. Even though the work can be stressful and many staff are tasked with taking care of the youth who may not always be co-operative, I always pass people smiling in the hallways. One of my favorite things about working here is that some of the nicest and positive people I've ever met are here. No matter what may be going on in people's personal lives, we all look out for each other here and all your coworkers will make sure that there is no negativity.

The hardest part about the job is generally the amount of pressure that can be put on you sometimes as we have to follow strict deadlines and comply with Joint Commission and many others but this comes with the territory of working in a residential treatment center for youth.

I have learned a lot of communication skills and the job being what is has definitely brought me out of my shell as you are always communicating with others. I have learned SQL coding, medical records skills and organizational skills, how to follow and enforce HIPAA laws. I have learned a lot about teaching and proper training procedures, working with nurses, doctors and therapists as well as education teachers and upper management.

Good Shepherd Services is a wonderful place to work and I will always recommend and remember this place with a special spot in my heart!
Pros
Wonderful staff, great environment, flexible hours, beautiful campus, lots of events & giveaways, long breaks, benefits, support
Cons
Stressful deadlines, raises are not guaranteed as they are based on census, difficult times when not in compliance, sometimes building maintenance issues due to property damage from youth
Non profit bureaucracy filled with politics
Case Planner (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYApril 9, 2017
absorb as much as you can and move on. no benefits, low salary, no support from mgmt, just terrible how employees are treated like mule. one should really question ACS/GSS and how they treat employees who deal with children and familys on a daily basis.
Loooooved it!
Paid Internship Program (Former Employee) –  503 5th Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11215April 6, 2017
This job was the best job ever! Interned for my highschool principal, being his administrative assistant. I worked in the school I went to every day. So convenient! Great work environment and staff.
Pros
Worked with people I enjoyed being around
Cons
It ended when I graduated
Productive place to work for women
Youth Development Counselor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 31, 2017
I feel as though this company is great but not a place to try to grow as a male. There is no room for growth unless you are a woman. They have specifically sent out emails for higher positions that specified only women to apply.
excellent place to work
LVN (Current Employee) –  Edcouch, TXMarch 26, 2017
nice staff always ready to assist in any way
if you like what you do it will not feel like work
good caring people
hardest part of the job getting attached to your patients and have to deal with their complications without getting mentally emotional and hurt
Productive and Rewarding
Campus Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Halethorpe, MDMarch 15, 2017
Great Company i am so upset about them closing because it really change my life. I work my way up in a company to the title I currently hold and this company help and lead me towards those dreams.
Pros
Changing the lives of the children
Great Management & Stable Job
Caregiver/Personal Assistant (Current Employee) –  Downey, CAMarch 9, 2017
I have been working with them for 1 year now and I love it! Their management team is great. When it comes to providing patients to caregivers, they match you with the perfect one.
It has been a pleasure
FACILITIES COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Halethorpe, MDMarch 9, 2017
Never the same day twice, constantly growing and learning something new. the Director of our department truly cared for our staff & children of the facility.
Clinical Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Halethorpe, MDMarch 1, 2017
Good Shepherd Services has been a rewarding job for me. I have been employed with Good Shepherd Services for 19 years and have held many positions within the organization. Good Shepherd Services has a great mission and treats the students and staff with empathy, compassion and respect.
Pros
Great mission
Cons
Some times long work hours
We're closing
Clinical Director of Treatment Services (Current Employee) –  Halethorpe, MDFebruary 27, 2017
Well, GSS is closing in April; and I have very mixed feelings about it. While I feel strongly about the reasons/decisions which led the agency to this place, I have thoroughly enjoyed working here with the team of people I'm working with. I've built life-long professional and personal relationships and I will forever be grateful for them!
Pros
Great clinical team to work with!
Cons
Little to no time for lunch breaks, outside appointments, etc.
Hours are flexible.
Residential Counselor (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 25, 2017
Job will be closing in April of 2017. Was an ok place to work. They are very flexible when it comes to the hours you want or need to work.
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
No consequences for the kids behavior.
Manager of Program Outcomes/Trainer (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 17, 2017
They had a true heart for helping kids and I was honored to be able to assist in many capacities to support the kids and the staff. Sadly they will be closing.
Growth
Senior Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Halethorpe, MDFebruary 17, 2017
I give thanks! Great learning experience awesome people that I will remember for life. This was truly a blessing. Nothing more to say I give thanks!
Pros
God Centered
Cons
Closing

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Good Shepherd Services. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval