Good Shepherd Services Employee Reviews in United States

Always active
Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMarch 25, 2016
I would come in the morning and be home by the afternoon. i would be place where ever they needed a position filled in. Every group I was placed in I had fun with the kids. my co-workers were once my group leaders. There weren't really any hard times in my job
Pros
Always moving and enjoying myself
Cons
some disrespect children
productive and build on patience
program aid (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 14, 2016
working with children can be over whelming. but the company prepares you by sending you to training so you can understand what to do at all times very organize. also a lot of great people work there so its easy to work on your team building.
Pros
works around your school schedule
Cons
healthcare, not a lot of hours
productive great learning experience
Beginning Intern (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYMay 1, 2016
fun preparing for new students to enroll
learn how to do payroll and take notes
calling other schools
preparing for events
Pros
worked in a school i attended
Excellent family oriented agency
Case Planner (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYDecember 12, 2015
At my time at Good Shephered Services, I not only learned the essentials to being an effective Case Planner, I was entrusted in handling my work as my leadership enstilled effective problem soliving tactics which helped get the job done on a daily basis.
Youth Development Counselor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 19, 2016
Great place to work, some of the staff is supportive, allows you to return back to school to further you education. The residents become more like family.
Pros
Bulid meaning relationships
Cons
Under staff
Productive and enjoyable job.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYDecember 1, 2015
Colleagues are a pleasure to work with. Management and HR could be better supportive. Working with children is the best part of the job. Being Administrative Assistant can be a very fast paced. There is room for growth.
Sanctuary Based Agency
Case Planner (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYOctober 20, 2015
The agency makes it its business to ensure the physical and emotional well-being of its participants and employees. The agency encourages its employees to return to school and work on their personal growth, as an indiviudal and professionally.
Pros
Supportive administrative staff
Cons
Long hours, Stressful
High energy/ welcoming environment
Assistant Program Director (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 25, 2015
Welcoming work place. Outgoing people. Hard workers. Organized. Each day was unexpected. I love the participants and their families. The staff were like a family. There was always something new or exciting happening.
Pros
The children and the relationships that were built
Cons
Never enogh time in the day.
Very productive
Summer Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYNovember 5, 2015
I enjoyed working with the children. I learned a lot of others although there were some challenges such as dealing with different emotions I still managed to keep thing well.
Workplace provides an in depth look at the underprivilaged youth you serve and assist
Afterschool Lead Counselor & Step Dance Instructor (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 31, 2015
Good Shepherd Services is an outlet of service really to all mankind, with a specific importance on disadvantaged youth. The many services the organization provides is astounding, but the personnel may be to blame for lackluster service.
Productive and fun work place
Administrative Assistant intern (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 15, 2015
My time working there was enjoyable and memorable the workers there was always helpful and cool. In this job I learned how to use a fax machine. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to work together with a few friends to get things done. A typical day at work was always funny and hard working
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
there was none
Good Shephards
Group Leader/ Admin (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, New yorkJune 23, 2015
Very fun environment kids were amazing. Good shepherds also has a very good reputation. They cared about the children and the employees if you ever needed anything there where there to assist. I also feel the hardest part of my job is when the company at this school closed down due to organization. I feel like we should have been given the opportunity as whole company to make this work for the children's sake.
Pros
work with my college schedule
Cons
Afterschool was shut down
i learned
summer intern (Former Employee) –  bronx new yorkSeptember 9, 2015
I learned how to manage myself under stressful environments with large groups of children going on trips everyday on busy public transportation such as the MTA train.
Pros
bonding with children
Cons
exetrmely stressful job with very little pay
If you're a professional boxer or wrestler please apply
Residential (Former Employee) –  Halethrope, mdJuly 6, 2015
This place should not be still standing. The building is not equipped for the individuals that they provide help for. Turn over rate is high. Staff is consistently getting hurt. The mission is great but can be fulfilled at this day and age.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Unsafe environment, no structure
Automotive HS Location
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 25, 2015
Worked as a temp but had the opportunity to move up. Co-workers very professional and friendly. Awesome management. Work with 17 1/2 years old to 20 year old kids to help them get their HS diploma via night classes. Interacted with the principal of the school and reported the attendance daily.
Pros
Get to attend the school events with the kids
Awesome place to work.
Career Success Coach (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 8, 2015
Love working here at GSS, there is room for advancement always. I love the way management cares about line staff as people and not numbers.
A good non profit
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 12, 2015
I loved the staff/team I was able to work with (at an afterschool program). For the most part, everyone is really passionate about helping children.
For a nonprofit, the hourly pay rate is great, however hours are capped at about 18-20 for part time workers.
The upper management was annoying and a big downside to this organization. Seem to do so little, but always have unnecessary suggestions.
Essentially, be ready to do a lot of work outside of your job description and rarely get noticed or rewarded. I didn't mind this aspect because I loved being able to help, but if bonuses and rewards are what you seek, look elsewhere.
Pros
Fun and passionate coworkers
Cons
district directors, not a lot of hours offered, few incentives
Can be productive, but the structure of the facility is not professional.
Group Leader (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYMay 5, 2015
A typical day at work would be overseeing the participants (teens) who attend the after school program while they attend their activities i.e basketball, computers etc. My coworkers are not as receptive as they should when it comes to viewing things from other perspectives and etc..
Pros
My role suits being a mentor for children and teenagers.
Cons
unsafe neighborhood, poor structure, poor managment and professionalism.
Productive And Cool To Be Around So Many Different Personalities
Leader in Training (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 27, 2015
A day at work would be some kids catching fits because they don't want to do a certain activity. I learned how to react to certain situations with the kids.My co-workers were hilarious and very open minded.The hardest part of my job was to not knock them kids upside they head when they get really disrespectful.The most enjoyable part of my job was seeing the kids happy and having fun.
Pros
Free Snacks
A fun place to work
Advocate Mentor/ Case Worker (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 1, 2015
Spoke with your supervisor about case load and did daily home visits. Did probation visits and court appointments as needed as well as school assements. prepare service plans for youth and their families
Pros
great support from director
Cons
no cons

4.2