Good Shepherd Services Employee Reviews in United States

Dangerous & chaotic; no consistent programing for very disturbed youth
Therapist (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 26, 2015
Don't work here. The kids are very disturbed and some are violent, attacking each other, themselves and the staff daily. This is worthy work, but there is such high staff turnover at all levels that there is little consistent programming. In almost 3 years I saw 2 CEO's, 3 Clinical Directors, 3 Medical Directors, 5 School Principals, and a turnover of the entire clinical staff (no exaggeration). Of the education and paraprofessional staff, about 90% left during the time I was there. There were some really good and dedicated people there who were a delight to work with. However, most of them leave because they are not supported by the administration who appears not to know how out of control everything is. No raises in almost 3 years. I could not give zeroes on three of the ratings so I gave ones. Please don't work here.
Pros
Some fine, dedicated staff.
Cons
Dangerous, administration does not support direct care and education staff.
Horrible CEO; Dangerous Place to work
Clinical (Former Employee) –  Baltimore,October 21, 2015
I would not recommend anyone to work for GSS Maryland as it is a dangerous place to work with the administration not caring about employees. The CEO berates people; demonstrates favoritism; and is fearful of the clients. The Sisters are great and don't really see the damage being done by administration
Pros
Decent Salary; The Sisters
Cons
No support; CEO treats people badly
Awesome place to work.
Career Success Coach (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 8, 2015
Love working here at GSS, there is room for advancement always. I love the way management cares about line staff as people and not numbers.
Noble Job but employees treated very poor
Employee (Current Employee) –  Halethorpe, MDAugust 24, 2015
CEO is truly disconnected from what is happening from a human service perspective. She has no desire to connect with employees unless it directly impacts her. Extremely high turnover rate, staff are well underpaid, too top heavy, and the environment is unsafe for staff and a lot of times its unsafe for the students. CEO allows other department heads to act outside of their scope of practice and interfere with the productivity of other departments based on relationships not sound decision making.
Pros
The students are able to change through staff help
Cons
under paid, maltreatment of staff, retaliatory environment, high injury rate
Productive and enjoyable job.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYDecember 1, 2015
Colleagues are a pleasure to work with. Management and HR could be better supportive. Working with children is the best part of the job. Being Administrative Assistant can be a very fast paced. There is room for growth.
Sanctuary Based Agency
Case Planner (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYOctober 20, 2015
The agency makes it its business to ensure the physical and emotional well-being of its participants and employees. The agency encourages its employees to return to school and work on their personal growth, as an indiviudal and professionally.
Pros
Supportive administrative staff
Cons
Long hours, Stressful
unsafe environment
Senior Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  halethorpe,mdSeptember 16, 2015
This place is very unorganized and management does not care about the safety of the staff. Staff are injured daily and still expected to work throughout injury. Short staffed majority of the time which makes things harder on staff especially when crisis situations occur. Worst place I have ever worked at.
Pros
great staff that truly care
Cons
short staff, no support, unsafe
Good work value and committment to foster growth
Supervisor, Family Foster Care/Adoption Services (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYFebruary 11, 2015
Foster care is a difficult job in itself and Good Shepherd offers you the basic knowledge and opportunities to advance in the field to certain degree, more so through education. The hardest part is job work/life balance but the best part of the job is sharing a family's overall growth.
Pros
the wealth of knowledge available if you seek it
Cons
job culture diminished as management shifted
Always active
Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMarch 25, 2016
I would come in the morning and be home by the afternoon. i would be place where ever they needed a position filled in. Every group I was placed in I had fun with the kids. my co-workers were once my group leaders. There weren't really any hard times in my job
Pros
Always moving and enjoying myself
Cons
some disrespect children
productive and build on patience
program aid (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 14, 2016
working with children can be over whelming. but the company prepares you by sending you to training so you can understand what to do at all times very organize. also a lot of great people work there so its easy to work on your team building.
Pros
works around your school schedule
Cons
healthcare, not a lot of hours
Rtc
Therapist (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 5, 2015
Great Co-Workers! The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the kids. The change in upper management has made the work place less enjoyable and now lacks support to its employees. The changes made therapy take a back seat to the case management. Loved the experience
A good non profit
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 12, 2015
I loved the staff/team I was able to work with (at an afterschool program). For the most part, everyone is really passionate about helping children.
For a nonprofit, the hourly pay rate is great, however hours are capped at about 18-20 for part time workers.
The upper management was annoying and a big downside to this organization. Seem to do so little, but always have unnecessary suggestions.
Essentially, be ready to do a lot of work outside of your job description and rarely get noticed or rewarded. I didn't mind this aspect because I loved being able to help, but if bonuses and rewards are what you seek, look elsewhere.
Pros
Fun and passionate coworkers
Cons
district directors, not a lot of hours offered, few incentives
Youth Development Counselor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 19, 2016
Great place to work, some of the staff is supportive, allows you to return back to school to further you education. The residents become more like family.
Pros
Bulid meaning relationships
Cons
Under staff
Excellent family oriented agency
Case Planner (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYDecember 12, 2015
At my time at Good Shephered Services, I not only learned the essentials to being an effective Case Planner, I was entrusted in handling my work as my leadership enstilled effective problem soliving tactics which helped get the job done on a daily basis.
Best Job I ever had! I learned so much and enjoyed the job.
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJune 10, 2015
A typical day at work consisted of constant communication, organization, and lots of paperwork. Overall I experienced a professional work environment in an office setting. I learned all about being reliable and learning to multitask and assist with responsibilities. My duties consisted of answering phonecalls, making phonecalls, faxing documents, reviewing and sending out paperwork, scheduling, faciliating communication between the staff and clients arranging and organizing information, events, and appointments for social workers, counselours, principals, and other staff. I also greeted students, clients and parents at the office, providing them with their needs and information, and even running errands like getting them coffee or food. The moment I started working, I clicked with the whole staff and management, and they really made me feel like a valued and trusted assistant. I felt very supported and grateful to be working with such kind and hard working people. The most enjoyable part of this job was, well.....everything! I don't have a single negative thing to say about this work experience.
Monitor youth and do check ins. Supportive co-workers. Learned a lot of patience and learned a lot about myself.
Youth Development Counselor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 31, 2015
I work overnight so when I come in we do a community meeting check in with the youth to see their feelings also to make sure no one is triggered. Monitor youth interactions with other youth. If participants cant sleep counsel youth to see what changes has happened recently in their lives. If an altercation was to occur follow protocol. Participants are taken to the hosipital if they need to go, AWOL reports are done for children who do not return to the facility by their given curfew. I learned a lot of patient techniques and how to speak to children. What to do if they are triggered as well as what to do if I am triggered. My co-workers are amazing a well rounded support team. Management could be more supportive but I get extreme support from my co-workers so it balances out. The hardest part of the job would be hearing some of the trauma stories, dealing with extreme disrespect or getting too attached with a youth and she transitions out. The most enjoyable part is seeing the participants happy and them realizing certain mistakes their making and correcting them.
Cons
Long shifts
Automotive HS Location
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 25, 2015
Worked as a temp but had the opportunity to move up. Co-workers very professional and friendly. Awesome management. Work with 17 1/2 years old to 20 year old kids to help them get their HS diploma via night classes. Interacted with the principal of the school and reported the attendance daily.
Pros
Get to attend the school events with the kids
Diverse cultures which comes together to better the community for youths and parents.
Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Bronx/Brooklyn, NYSeptember 10, 2014
A typical day at work consists of engaging students to expand their academics & skills. I have learned so much about the communities and cultures. Management is good. Co-workers were alright for most of the times. The hardest part of the job is not having enough time with helping a child. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing you made a difference in a child life, for the better.
Pros
company pays well.
Cons
no benefits.
Program Aide (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 7, 2015
Typical day at work is a lot of work being done, sort on staff and no type of organization. I've learned you cant always look out for others because they only look out for themselves. Management wasn't so great, a lot of things wasn't handled properly. My co workers were ok. Most of the time they wasn't there so I had to cover for them. The hardest part of the job I would say would be handling a child that needs more help then we could have provided. The most enjoyable part of the job was teaching the kids something new and different each day no matter how bad the conditions were.
High energy/ welcoming environment
Assistant Program Director (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 25, 2015
Welcoming work place. Outgoing people. Hard workers. Organized. Each day was unexpected. I love the participants and their families. The staff were like a family. There was always something new or exciting happening.
Pros
The children and the relationships that were built
Cons
Never enogh time in the day.