Good Shepherd Services Employee Reviews

Horrible place to work but the pay is decent
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Halethorpe, MDJune 19, 2017
The turn over is very high . Working AT GSS is very stressed filled. There is not any room for advancement .If you're looking for good incentives please this place is not for you
creating lesson plans and activities for middle school kids.
Group Leader (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 13, 2017
the location im at me and the director dont click. its always something negative she finds to say to me about what udes i have for the students. im very creative and i would love to work in a more positive atmosphere
Pros
the pay rate
Cons
the director and short hours
Caring and supportive environment for at risk youth.
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 13, 2017
. I learned to be better listener and attentive to needs of young people that do not come from stable home situations. Management encouraged staff
and introduced unique methods to accomplish objectives.
Pros
Commited Staff
Cons
Short Staff
Productive workplace
Program Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 10, 2017
Worked about 4-8 hours a day. Professional coworkers and supervisors. Improved my interpersonal, and communication skills. Colleagues were friendly. The kids I worked with were absolutely lovely
Good workplace. Friendly.
Personal Care Assistant (PCA) (Former Employee) –  Rocky Mount, NCJune 10, 2017
Working here taught me "relationship" . I loved my patients to death. Of course these types of work arent the easiest but they need you to the fullest. Its all worth it to see a smile on thier face.
Pros
You know they are being left fed, clean, and happy.
Cons
Not enough pay unfortunately. They dont let you leave for lunch.
Creative and Flexible
Group Leader (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYMay 30, 2017
Good Shepherd provides a flexible and creative working environment thanks to the staff. There is an abundance of activities ranging from science to modern dance to visual arts and there is no shortage of choices for the students who are able to pick their activities.
Resident Assistant (On-Call)/ Activities (Current Employee) –  Seymour, WIMay 29, 2017
Most of the time people are willing to work together and are very nice. The elderly people are nice to work with and the food is good. For the most part it's a good place to work
Inpatient Residential Treatment Center for adolescents
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 29, 2017
GSS was full of nice, mission-driven people. Unfortunately, there was no leadership from the executive team, and as a result, the center was forced to close.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
CEO inexperienced and unqualified
Experience Leading a Multi-faceted Program
Program Director (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 22, 2017
Good Shepherd Services was my most challenging position as a Program Director. We were located in a tough area where engaging the community was difficult. I had to get super creative! That part of the job I enjoyed the most. Unfortunately, I wish I had more time to turn the program around as the given timeframe was not practical. Also, I wish there was more support from the community leadership in reaching creative collaborations as well as more support from my executive management team in shifting the culture of my program.
Pros
Able to Use My Creativity
Cons
Had a Challenging Time Shifting the Culture of the Center/ Community
relaxed atmosphere
Youth Internship Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYMay 12, 2017
Although the environment was not so rigid, work was done and the students were able to get the support that they sought. the company offered many training classes to help push staff to advance in their career.
Excellent summer job
Water Safety Instructor (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYMay 10, 2017
It never felt like I was working. The employees and children made the day run smooth. Management was accessible and helpful. All the information I need to work was provided.
Pros
Traveled around NYC
Cons
Temporary employment
fun workplace
Group Leader (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYApril 25, 2017
I love working with kids. Fun and safe environment. This is a job that I have worked the least hours but enjoyed the most working at. Very family oriented.
management
Family Foster Care (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYApril 21, 2017
Management is poor, leadership needs to be retrained in people skills and management skills. Often felt like there is no guidance. Supervision is a joke. This is a job to earn money its not like career based. there is no growth.
Cons
salary
workplace culture
Social Work Intern (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 20, 2017
Interning at Good Shepherds is a beneficial experience. The Juvenile justice division is simply amazing. I would love to continue being a part of this great organization.
Nice place to work at
Office Assistant / Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYApril 18, 2017
Family oriented environment. the workers at the agency are very friendly. the director is very reasonable and compassionate. they try their best to work as a team.
Incredible workplace with an amazing mission
Electronic Medical Record Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Halethorpe, MDApril 10, 2017
Good Shepherd Services has been a place for me to grow miles in my career and more importantly as a human being.

Besides the work, the mission to help youth who have been through some of the roughest walks of life is an amazing one. I have seen countless youth come through here and leave with a much better outlook on life because of the incredible staff and the hard work that everyone as a team puts in to make a difference. We really are making a difference here and that is something you can't put a value on.

Each day, I come in and greet my department of phenomenal people. There are only 3 of us but we work hard and seamlessly together to get everything Medical Records related and otherwise taken care of in as quick a manner as possible. I have learned so much from my co-workers in how a Medical Records department should be run and how to effectively keep everything organized and easily accessible.

I run audits to check for accuracy on important documentation such as clinical notes and assessments, shift notes, medical assessments and progress notes, education summaries, and much more. I assist staff in completing their work and help anyone who needs support with Avenues, our SQL based electronic medical record system. I check information in unusual incident reports to make sure that incidents are documented properly and accurately.

Among those daily duties, I also develop the EMR to create new forms, notes and assessments that we will use to improve our documentation and record keeping of the youth we are providing treatment for. I use my general IT skills
  more... to setup machines, support computer, printer, network, driver issues etc for all the departments. Though not technically part of the IT department I have a very close relationship with them and like to be involved in anything they could use my help with. I have also developed a database for tracking incident reports that get sent to referring agencies.

A big part of my job is training. I train all new users on our EMR system, and more importantly how to properly document notes and assessments as well as incident reports to follow protocol. I have become very acquainted with orientation and training new employees on our protocols, HIPAA law, and also guiding through our large complex lock-down building.

The management are always friendly and supportive. I always feel welcome to come to them and chat.

The general workplace is one full of positive vibes. Even though the work can be stressful and many staff are tasked with taking care of the youth who may not always be co-operative, I always pass people smiling in the hallways. One of my favorite things about working here is that some of the nicest and positive people I've ever met are here. No matter what may be going on in people's personal lives, we all look out for each other here and all your coworkers will make sure that there is no negativity.

The hardest part about the job is generally the amount of pressure that can be put on you sometimes as we have to follow strict deadlines and comply with Joint Commission and many others but this comes with the territory of working in a residential treatment center for youth.

I have learned a lot of communication skills and the job being what is has definitely brought me out of my shell as you are always communicating with others. I have learned SQL coding, medical records skills and organizational skills, how to follow and enforce HIPAA laws. I have learned a lot about teaching and proper training procedures, working with nurses, doctors and therapists as well as education teachers and upper management.

Good Shepherd Services is a wonderful place to work and I will always recommend and remember this place with a special spot in my heart!
Pros
Wonderful staff, great environment, flexible hours, beautiful campus, lots of events & giveaways, long breaks, benefits, support
Cons
Stressful deadlines, raises are not guaranteed as they are based on census, difficult times when not in compliance, sometimes building maintenance issues due to property damage from youth
Non profit bureaucracy filled with politics
Case Planner (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYApril 9, 2017
absorb as much as you can and move on. no benefits, low salary, no support from mgmt, just terrible how employees are treated like mule. one should really question ACS/GSS and how they treat employees who deal with children and familys on a daily basis.
Loooooved it!
Paid Internship Program (Former Employee) –  503 5th Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11215April 6, 2017
This job was the best job ever! Interned for my highschool principal, being his administrative assistant. I worked in the school I went to every day. So convenient! Great work environment and staff.
Pros
Worked with people I enjoyed being around
Cons
It ended when I graduated
Productive place to work for women
Youth Development Counselor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 31, 2017
I feel as though this company is great but not a place to try to grow as a male. There is no room for growth unless you are a woman. They have specifically sent out emails for higher positions that specified only women to apply.
excellent place to work
LVN (Current Employee) –  Edcouch, TXMarch 26, 2017
nice staff always ready to assist in any way
if you like what you do it will not feel like work
good caring people
hardest part of the job getting attached to your patients and have to deal with their complications without getting mentally emotional and hurt

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Good Shepherd Services. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval