Good Shepherd Services Employee Reviews

Fun work environment
Program Aide (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYAugust 31, 2015
Pros: Free trips
Working with children on projects, escorting children to activities and events, supervising and participating in children's activities.
Noble Job but employees treated very poor
Employee (Current Employee), Halethorpe, MDAugust 24, 2015
Pros: The students are able to change through staff help
Cons: under paid, maltreatment of staff, retaliatory environment, high injury rate
CEO is truly disconnected from what is happening from a human service perspective. She has no desire to connect with employees unless it directly impacts her. Extremely high turnover rate, staff are well underpaid, too top heavy, and the environment is unsafe for staff and a lot of times its unsafe for the students. CEO allows other department heads to act outside of their scope of practice and interfere with the productivity of other departments based on relationships not sound decision making.
Workplace provides an in depth look at the underprivilaged youth you serve and assist
Afterschool Lead Counselor & Step Dance Instructor (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYJuly 31, 2015
Good Shepherd Services is an outlet of service really to all mankind, with a specific importance on disadvantaged youth. The many services the organization provides is astounding, but the personnel may be to blame for lackluster service.
poductive work place
Receptionist (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYJuly 21, 2015
Pros: free snacks
Cons: short hours
Take over the evening shift. Answer phones and forward calls. Answer emails, schedule conference rooms. make copies. the most enjoyable part is my co workers. Very helpful and friendly
Productive and fun work place
Administrative Assistant intern (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYJuly 15, 2015
Pros: Free Lunches
Cons: there was none
My time working there was enjoyable and memorable the workers there was always helpful and cool. In this job I learned how to use a fax machine. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to work together with a few friends to get things done. A typical day at work was always funny and hard working
If you're a professional boxer or wrestler please apply
Residential (Former Employee), Halethrope, mdJuly 6, 2015
Pros: Great people to work with
Cons: Unsafe environment, no structure
This place should not be still standing. The building is not equipped for the individuals that they provide help for. Turn over rate is high. Staff is consistently getting hurt. The mission is great but can be fulfilled at this day and age.
A fun place to work
Advocate Mentor/ Case Worker (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYJuly 1, 2015
Pros: great support from director
Cons: no cons
Spoke with your supervisor about case load and did daily home visits. Did probation visits and court appointments as needed as well as school assements. prepare service plans for youth and their families
Automotive HS Location
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYJune 25, 2015
Pros: Get to attend the school events with the kids
Worked as a temp but had the opportunity to move up. Co-workers very professional and friendly. Awesome management. Work with 17 1/2 years old to 20 year old kids to help them get their HS diploma via night classes. Interacted with the principal of the school and reported the attendance daily.
Good Shephards
Group Leader/ Admin (Former Employee), Brooklyn, New yorkJune 23, 2015
Pros: work with my college schedule
Cons: Afterschool was shut down
Very fun environment kids were amazing. Good shepherds also has a very good reputation. They cared about the children and the employees if you ever needed anything there where there to assist. I also feel the hardest part of my job is when the company at this school closed down due to organization. I feel like we should have been given the opportunity as whole company to make this work for the children's sake.
Best Job I ever had! I learned so much and enjoyed the job.
Office Assistant (Former Employee), Bronx, NYJune 10, 2015
A typical day at work consisted of constant communication, organization, and lots of paperwork. Overall I experienced a professional work environment in an office setting. I learned all about being reliable and learning to multitask and assist with responsibilities. My duties consisted of answering phonecalls, making phonecalls, faxing documents, reviewing and sending out paperwork, scheduling, faciliating communication between the staff and clients arranging and organizing information, events, and appointments for social workers, counselours, principals, and other staff. I also greeted students, clients and parents at the office, providing them with their needs and information, and even running errands like getting them coffee or food. The moment I started working, I clicked with the whole staff and management, and they really made me feel like a valued and trusted assistant. I felt very supported and grateful to be working with such kind and hard working people. The most enjoyable part of this job was, well.....everything! I don't have a single negative thing to say about this work experience.
Productive and Flexible
Receptionist (Part-Time) (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYJune 4, 2015
Pros: Medical and Flexibility
Cons: Dental Insurance not well and ocasionally very noisy
The reward of working is the productivity and the co workers are team players. Love the flexible time and the break. Great Medical insurance. Dental insurance not so good, job is demanding at times also noisy.
Monitor youth and do check ins. Supportive co-workers. Learned a lot of patience and learned a lot about myself.
Youth Development Counselor (Current Employee), New York, NYMay 31, 2015
Cons: Long shifts
I work overnight so when I come in we do a community meeting check in with the youth to see their feelings also to make sure no one is triggered. Monitor youth interactions with other youth. If participants cant sleep counsel youth to see what changes has happened recently in their lives. If an altercation was to occur follow protocol. Participants are taken to the hosipital if they need to go, AWOL reports are done for children who do not return to the facility by their given curfew. I learned a lot of patient techniques and how to speak to children. What to do if they are triggered as well as what to do if I am triggered. My co-workers are amazing a well rounded support team. Management could be more supportive but I get extreme support from my co-workers so it balances out. The hardest part of the job would be hearing some of the trauma stories, dealing with extreme disrespect or getting too attached with a youth and she transitions out. The most enjoyable part is seeing the participants happy and them realizing certain mistakes their making and correcting them.
Great workplace, awesome co-workers!
Receptionist (Current Employee), Bronx, NYMay 20, 2015
Pros: Great company!
Cons: No advancement option(s)
I really enjoy what I do here at Good Shepherd Services. However, the fact that there is no job advancement options for me really frustrates me.
A good non profit
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYMay 12, 2015
Pros: Fun and passionate coworkers
Cons: district directors, not a lot of hours offered, few incentives
I loved the staff/team I was able to work with (at an afterschool program). For the most part, everyone is really passionate about helping children.
For a nonprofit, the hourly pay rate is great, however hours are capped at about 18-20 for part time workers.
The upper management was annoying and a big downside to this organization. Seem to do so little, but always have unnecessary suggestions.
Essentially, be ready to do a lot of work outside of your job description and rarely get noticed or rewarded. I didn't mind this aspect because I loved being able to help, but if bonuses and rewards are what you seek, look elsewhere.
Nice place to work until the Management changed.
Engineer (Former Employee), Halethorpe, MDMay 10, 2015
Responsible for two (2) 250 HP Clever Brooks Boilers, two (2) 275 Ton Trane Chillers, One BAC Cooling Tower, Seventeen (17) Air Handlers with Pneumatic Controls.
Numerous Pneumatic Systems throughout the Campus. Replaced Motors of all voltages, Repair/rebuild Motor Bearings, repair/rebuild Motor Starters. Arc weld. Braze, Silver Solder, and perform Preventive Maintenance on all Mechanical Equipment and help where needed.
Can be productive, but the structure of the facility is not professional.
Group Leader (Current Employee), Bronx, NYMay 5, 2015
Pros: My role suits being a mentor for children and teenagers.
Cons: unsafe neighborhood, poor structure, poor managment and professionalism.
A typical day at work would be overseeing the participants (teens) who attend the after school program while they attend their activities i.e basketball, computers etc. My coworkers are not as receptive as they should when it comes to viewing things from other perspectives and etc..
Productive And Cool To Be Around So Many Different Personalities
Leader in Training (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYApril 27, 2015
Pros: Free Snacks
Cons: none
A day at work would be some kids catching fits because they don't want to do a certain activity. I learned how to react to certain situations with the kids.My co-workers were hilarious and very open minded.The hardest part of my job was to not knock them kids upside they head when they get really disrespectful.The most enjoyable part of my job was seeing the kids happy and having fun.
Program Aide (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYApril 7, 2015
Typical day at work is a lot of work being done, sort on staff and no type of organization. I've learned you cant always look out for others because they only look out for themselves. Management wasn't so great, a lot of things wasn't handled properly. My co workers were ok. Most of the time they wasn't there so I had to cover for them. The hardest part of the job I would say would be handling a child that needs more help then we could have provided. The most enjoyable part of the job was teaching the kids something new and different each day no matter how bad the conditions were.
Warm place to work
Nurse Case Manager (Former Employee), New York, NYMarch 26, 2015
Pros: Flexible work schedules
Cons: long hours
Great place to work. The goal is to reunite families and build brighter futures for children and families. The hardest part of the job is parents that are unable to reclaim their lives because of substance abuse or personal dysfunction.
LAID BACK.
Youth Counselor (Current Employee), Bronx, NYMarch 2, 2015
Cons: n/a
You have to really be on top of your A game. There is no time for slacking. IF YOU ARENT WILLING TO GIVE YOUR ALL, THEN DON'T APPLY!