Good Shepherd Services Employee Reviews in United States

Always active
Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMarch 25, 2016
I would come in the morning and be home by the afternoon. i would be place where ever they needed a position filled in. Every group I was placed in I had fun with the kids. my co-workers were once my group leaders. There weren't really any hard times in my job
Pros
Always moving and enjoying myself
Cons
some disrespect children
productive great learning experience
Beginning Intern (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYMay 1, 2016
fun preparing for new students to enroll
learn how to do payroll and take notes
calling other schools
preparing for events
Pros
worked in a school i attended
Rewarding and long hours
Assistant Program Director (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYNovember 15, 2012
My day at work included the coordination of community servive events to increase enrollment efforts, as well as creating and researching curriculum for the after school program. i have prepared reports and maintained records and databases to track participants attendance and for inventory purposes. Management was a great help in some aspects of this job, however the most beneficial component to this job was the children and the parents. the hardest part of this job was leaving to pursue my dream of finishing my degree. the most enjoyable experience of this position as the creation process and to witness familes gain independency and self sufficient lives.
Pros
school trips, vacation, and holiday schedules. as well as benefits and discounts.
Cons
short breaks
Activites, Lesson plans, enjoy working with kids.
Program Aide (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYMarch 14, 2014
My experience as a Program Aide at Good Shepherd Services would be satisfactory. On a daily basis I pick up children from school and take them to the after school program that we provide. My duties are to make sure their homework is done and get them ready for an educational activity i.e learning sign language, arts and crafts or self esteem workshops. My hardest part of the job is keeping the children seated and away from distraction. Children tend to get distracted when there is not much to do, but I try my best to engage them in fun activities where they are having fun and learning all together. My most enjoyable time at work is when the kids have structure and they are feeling good. Management is okay, I understand who my superiors are but I am not treated like a subordinate, fortunately I am treated with respect including the rest of my co-workers, I consider us to be a family.
Pros
learning how to do lesson plans, i love working with kids.
Cons
no breaks, or benefits.
productive and build on patience
program aid (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 14, 2016
working with children can be over whelming. but the company prepares you by sending you to training so you can understand what to do at all times very organize. also a lot of great people work there so its easy to work on your team building.
Pros
works around your school schedule
Cons
healthcare, not a lot of hours
Diverse cultures which comes together to better the community for youths and parents.
Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Bronx/Brooklyn, NYSeptember 10, 2014
A typical day at work consists of engaging students to expand their academics & skills. I have learned so much about the communities and cultures. Management is good. Co-workers were alright for most of the times. The hardest part of the job is not having enough time with helping a child. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing you made a difference in a child life, for the better.
Pros
company pays well.
Cons
no benefits.
Sanctuary Based Agency
Case Planner (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYOctober 20, 2015
The agency makes it its business to ensure the physical and emotional well-being of its participants and employees. The agency encourages its employees to return to school and work on their personal growth, as an indiviudal and professionally.
Pros
Supportive administrative staff
Cons
Long hours, Stressful
Activities events
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 8, 2013
Working for Good Shepherd Services was a good experience, I am grateful to them for my livelihood, and as the name indicates, its an agency that cares about families of all walks of life, they are advocates for helping families at risks and so forth. As their administrative assistant, I worked with only the administrative aspects and liaised with teammates as necessary to support them. My co-workers were good people, my supervisor also great, they were difficult situations at times when things were not going well, but it eventually worked out. The hardest part of the job I'd would say actually cutting work week, it affected my income, other than that nothing, The most enjoyable time is having staff parties at restaurants where we were at ease to just be relaxed for a while.
Pros
excellent vacation benefits, and health insurance benefits, 401k a+++
Cons
no cons
Productive and enjoyable job.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYDecember 1, 2015
Colleagues are a pleasure to work with. Management and HR could be better supportive. Working with children is the best part of the job. Being Administrative Assistant can be a very fast paced. There is room for growth.
Youth Development Counselor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 19, 2016
Great place to work, some of the staff is supportive, allows you to return back to school to further you education. The residents become more like family.
Pros
Bulid meaning relationships
Cons
Under staff
Awesome place to work.
Career Success Coach (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 8, 2015
Love working here at GSS, there is room for advancement always. I love the way management cares about line staff as people and not numbers.
After School Program teaching children to become productive individuals
Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 6, 2015
Overall beliefs and concept of teaching is great.
Some managers need to improve time management especially when it comes to scheduling training for their employees
Pros
salary is great.
Cons
i guess it could be great if you have great leaders.
Job
YOUTH DEVELOPMENT COUNSELOR (Former Employee) –  sharp house, bronx, nyJanuary 10, 2014
the work is fun and interesting because you change lives of the children within the program, but the organization is poorly managed. I have seen people lose their jobs because they wont have extra curriculum activities with the supervisors. its a at will organization long days no lunch or 15 min breaks, low pay and little to no benefits. great start but don't make a career out of it.
Pros
changing lives
Cons
poorly managed, low pay, little to no benefits
Excellent family oriented agency
Case Planner (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYDecember 12, 2015
At my time at Good Shephered Services, I not only learned the essentials to being an effective Case Planner, I was entrusted in handling my work as my leadership enstilled effective problem soliving tactics which helped get the job done on a daily basis.
Good work value and committment to foster growth
Supervisor, Family Foster Care/Adoption Services (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYFebruary 11, 2015
Foster care is a difficult job in itself and Good Shepherd offers you the basic knowledge and opportunities to advance in the field to certain degree, more so through education. The hardest part is job work/life balance but the best part of the job is sharing a family's overall growth.
Pros
the wealth of knowledge available if you seek it
Cons
job culture diminished as management shifted
A good non profit
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 12, 2015
I loved the staff/team I was able to work with (at an afterschool program). For the most part, everyone is really passionate about helping children.
For a nonprofit, the hourly pay rate is great, however hours are capped at about 18-20 for part time workers.
The upper management was annoying and a big downside to this organization. Seem to do so little, but always have unnecessary suggestions.
Essentially, be ready to do a lot of work outside of your job description and rarely get noticed or rewarded. I didn't mind this aspect because I loved being able to help, but if bonuses and rewards are what you seek, look elsewhere.
Pros
Fun and passionate coworkers
Cons
district directors, not a lot of hours offered, few incentives
Very productive
Summer Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYNovember 5, 2015
I enjoyed working with the children. I learned a lot of others although there were some challenges such as dealing with different emotions I still managed to keep thing well.
High energy/ welcoming environment
Assistant Program Director (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 25, 2015
Welcoming work place. Outgoing people. Hard workers. Organized. Each day was unexpected. I love the participants and their families. The staff were like a family. There was always something new or exciting happening.
Pros
The children and the relationships that were built
Cons
Never enogh time in the day.
Best Job I ever had! I learned so much and enjoyed the job.
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJune 10, 2015
A typical day at work consisted of constant communication, organization, and lots of paperwork. Overall I experienced a professional work environment in an office setting. I learned all about being reliable and learning to multitask and assist with responsibilities. My duties consisted of answering phonecalls, making phonecalls, faxing documents, reviewing and sending out paperwork, scheduling, faciliating communication between the staff and clients arranging and organizing information, events, and appointments for social workers, counselours, principals, and other staff. I also greeted students, clients and parents at the office, providing them with their needs and information, and even running errands like getting them coffee or food. The moment I started working, I clicked with the whole staff and management, and they really made me feel like a valued and trusted assistant. I felt very supported and grateful to be working with such kind and hard working people. The most enjoyable part of this job was, well.....everything! I don't have a single negative thing to say about this work experience.
Wonderful place to work
Director (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYOctober 15, 2014
Amazing work environment, caring staff and administration, room for growth and awesome benefits.

4.2