Good Shepherd Services

Good Shepherd Services Employer Reviews

A place full of activitites and education
5th Grade Group Leader (Former Employee), Bronx, NYJune 21, 2014
Pros: free lunches, lots of trips.
Cons: short brakes.
A typical day at work would be like having a full class of students talking and having fun. I learned that just keeping the students in a room all day while they are in the program is pretty boring being that they are children. The co-workers all get along very well. The hardest part of this job was to keep all students together at all times and prevent trouble with the group and the program. The most enjoyable part of this job is having the children go on fun trips and view all the places that they probably have never seen in their lives. Taking pictures of them and posting them on their yearbooks for memories in the program.
Treat each other like family and are very hard workers.
Office Assistant Intern at Abraham Lincoln YABC (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYJune 1, 2014
Pros: great environment and surroundings, also free lunches
Cons: n/a
The staff welcomes you with open arms and are very loyal. We have fun but also know when its time to work and get the job done.
Trauma Informed environment. Great mission and overall agency vision.
Recreation Supervisor (Current Employee), New York, NYMay 28, 2014
Great organization to work for. Countless opportunities for growth.
Work Days
Administrative Assistant - Human Resources (Current Employee), New York, NYMay 15, 2014
A typical day at work consists of anticipation of what the day will bring. A normal day at work should consist of scanning, filing, responding to phone calls and emails, providing reception to the floor, and other miscellaneous things. However, normal days in the office are very rare due to the volume of employees we have. Our Human Resources team works extremely well together, and we overcome obstacles at the drop of a dime if necessary. I have learned a little bit of every piece of everyone's job in the department as well as general office duties. The hardest part of the job is having to balance and resolve inquiries, requests, and complaints all at the same time. We juggle a lot of balls regularly but we handle it well because we work so well together. The most enjoyable part of the job is my co-workers. I owe most of what I've learned to them and I thank them very much for that.
Fun workplace
Counselor (Former Employee), Bronx, NYMay 12, 2014
Pros: free lunch, free trips
Cons: 1 break throughout the whole day
The children were enjoyable to work with. It was always busy because there were a lot of trips and activities. My coworkers were fun and we all loved kids the same. The hardest part was when the children were being bad or rude. But I learned so much about kids and even things they enjoy.
TFFC great place to work
Therapeutic Case Manager (Former Employee), Bronx, NYMay 6, 2014
my time at GSS was a productive learning and steping stone into child welfare.
Productive and Fun Work
Youth Development Counselor (Former Employee), New York, NYMarch 31, 2014
Pros: health benefits
Cons: no employee recognition
Positive work environment, some stressful days, Worked with Children between the ages of 12-18
Great People!!
Assistant Director, Human Resources (Current Employee), New York, NYMarch 31, 2014
I have been with the agency for over 10 years and have enjoyed my epereince. Too bad they don't have an agency in NJ :(
At times it could be very a exciting and fun work place and at other times it was stressful and painful.
Youth Development Counselor (Former Employee), New York, NYMarch 18, 2014
Pros: helping the youth become the best individuals that they could be.
Cons: my life being put in danger at any given minute.
The days could range from exciting and fun to stressful and dangerous. You never knew what you were walking into on a day to day bases. It could be a calm and productive day and the next minute your life as well as the staff and residents you were dealing with could be places in extreme danger.
Activites, Lesson plans, enjoy working with kids.
Program Aide (Current Employee), Bronx, NYMarch 14, 2014
Pros: learning how to do lesson plans, i love working with kids.
Cons: no breaks, or benefits.
My experience as a Program Aide at Good Shepherd Services would be satisfactory. On a daily basis I pick up children from school and take them to the after school program that we provide. My duties are to make sure their homework is done and get them ready for an educational activity i.e learning sign language, arts and crafts or self esteem workshops. My hardest part of the job is keeping the children seated and away from distraction. Children tend to get distracted when there is not much to do, but I try my best to engage them in fun activities where they are having fun and learning all together. My most enjoyable time at work is when the kids have structure and they are feeling good. Management is okay, I understand who my superiors are but I am not treated like a subordinate, fortunately I am treated with respect including the rest of my co-workers, I consider us to be a family.
great job
Activity Specialist (Former Employee), Bronx, NYMarch 10, 2014
lead adults and large group of children, good management the kids was the best part
productive place
Teachers Assistant (Former Employee), New York, NYFebruary 3, 2014
A typical day at that intership consisted of me helping the children with homewoke and supplying snakes.If the children behaved we would do a fun activity close to the end of the afterschool program. The managemet was pretty cool everything seemed in place. All of my coworkers were more like bosses. The hardest part was to actually controll nearly 20-30 children frome ages 6-13. The enjoyable part was the layed back part of the job when i was doing inventory and waiting for parents to come.
Job
YOUTH DEVELOPMENT COUNSELOR (Former Employee), sharp house, bronx, nyJanuary 10, 2014
Pros: changing lives
Cons: poorly managed, low pay, little to no benefits
the work is fun and interesting because you change lives of the children within the program, but the organization is poorly managed. I have seen people lose their jobs because they wont have extra curriculum activities with the supervisors. its a at will organization long days no lunch or 15 min breaks, low pay and little to no benefits. great start but don't make a career out of it.
productive program
Peer Counselor (Former Employee), Bronx, NYJanuary 6, 2014
Pros: education
Cons: facilities.
This is a great program to help students go to school and lead them into the right path in life in being successful. The program also help with the students attendance, grades, and life problems as well. This is the best program iv'e been in and it help me go through the struggles in school.
great place to learn and apply
Youth Advocate Counselor (Former Employee), Bronx, NYNovember 21, 2013
Pros: community spirit, professional development
Cons: contractual work
There is nothing like working with youths. Everyday not only prmises to be different, but also offers unique opportunities to put into practice one's experience and education. From crisis management, to family intervention, to truancy, to peer pressure, as an advocate, I became influential in helping students achieve.
Activities events
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYSeptember 8, 2013
Pros: excellent vacation benefits, and health insurance benefits, 401k a+++
Cons: no cons
Working for Good Shepherd Services was a good experience, I am grateful to them for my livelihood, and as the name indicates, its an agency that cares about families of all walks of life, they are advocates for helping families at risks and so forth. As their administrative assistant, I worked with only the administrative aspects and liaised with teammates as necessary to support them. My co-workers were good people, my supervisor also great, they were difficult situations at times when things were not going well, but it eventually worked out. The hardest part of the job I'd would say actually cutting work week, it affected my income, other than that nothing, The most enjoyable time is having staff parties at restaurants where we were at ease to just be relaxed for a while.
Best Experience , fun work place , great people
Service Representative (Former Employee), Bronx, NYSeptember 8, 2013
Pros: free lunch
Cons: short breaks
During my time at good shepered Office i learned how to do filing, faxing, copying and mailing . I would set appointments for client within office . Answer and made phone calls . I Greeted people with the up most respect when entering and exiting the office . My bosses were cool and very outgoing . My coworker were so sweet and very funny . The hardest part of the job was customers that are very rude and going through there problems and would come in and take it out on us . I'm a very nice person and i kept my cool at all times . I didn't let them ruin my day . The best part was the foodddddddddddd ! They would have parties almost everyday and had great food . This was a very good experience for me .
WORK LIFE
Intern, Brownsville Recreation Center (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYAugust 20, 2013
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
IT WAS AN INTERNSHIP.
HOW TO MANAGEMENT MY MONEY.
LEARN HOW TO WORK WITH PEOPLE.
CO-WORKERS WORRY NICE.
THE HARDEST THING ABOUT MY JOB WAS LEAVE.
WHAT I ENJOY THE MOST ABOUT MY JOB WAS GOOING TO WORK EVERY DAY.
Uncommunicative
Caseworker (Former Employee), Bronx, NYAugust 9, 2013
This place didn't provide any opportunities to grow or help establish guidelines in which to follow.
Fun Workplace
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYJuly 14, 2013
Pros: free lunches, great staff, in my school
Cons: minimum wage
I was able to work with great staff members and make extra money after school at the office as a intern.