Good Shepherd Services Employee Reviews

Automotive HS Location
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 25, 2015
Worked as a temp but had the opportunity to move up. Co-workers very professional and friendly. Awesome management. Work with 17 1/2 years old to 20 year old kids to help them get their HS diploma via night classes. Interacted with the principal of the school and reported the attendance daily.
Pros
Get to attend the school events with the kids
Good Shephards
Group Leader/ Admin (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, New yorkJune 23, 2015
Very fun environment kids were amazing. Good shepherds also has a very good reputation. They cared about the children and the employees if you ever needed anything there where there to assist. I also feel the hardest part of my job is when the company at this school closed down due to organization. I feel like we should have been given the opportunity as whole company to make this work for the children's sake.
Pros
work with my college schedule
Cons
Afterschool was shut down
Best Job I ever had! I learned so much and enjoyed the job.
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJune 10, 2015
A typical day at work consisted of constant communication, organization, and lots of paperwork. Overall I experienced a professional work environment in an office setting. I learned all about being reliable and learning to multitask and assist with responsibilities. My duties consisted of answering phonecalls, making phonecalls, faxing documents, reviewing and sending out paperwork, scheduling, faciliating communication between the staff and clients arranging and organizing information, events, and appointments for social workers, counselours, principals, and other staff. I also greeted students, clients and parents at the office, providing them with their needs and information, and even running errands like getting them coffee or food. The moment I started working, I clicked with the whole staff and management, and they really made me feel like a valued and trusted assistant. I felt very supported and grateful to be working with such kind and hard working people. The most enjoyable part of this job was, well.....everything! I don't have a single negative thing to say about this work experience.
Productive and Flexible
Receptionist (Part-Time) (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 4, 2015
The reward of working is the productivity and the co workers are team players. Love the flexible time and the break. Great Medical insurance. Dental insurance not so good, job is demanding at times also noisy.
Pros
Medical and Flexibility
Cons
Dental Insurance not well and ocasionally very noisy
Monitor youth and do check ins. Supportive co-workers. Learned a lot of patience and learned a lot about myself.
Youth Development Counselor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 31, 2015
I work overnight so when I come in we do a community meeting check in with the youth to see their feelings also to make sure no one is triggered. Monitor youth interactions with other youth. If participants cant sleep counsel youth to see what changes has happened recently in their lives. If an altercation was to occur follow protocol. Participants are taken to the hosipital if they need to go, AWOL reports are done for children who do not return to the facility by their given curfew. I learned a lot of patient techniques and how to speak to children. What to do if they are triggered as well as what to do if I am triggered. My co-workers are amazing a well rounded support team. Management could be more supportive but I get extreme support from my co-workers so it balances out. The hardest part of the job would be hearing some of the trauma stories, dealing with extreme disrespect or getting too attached with a youth and she transitions out. The most enjoyable part is seeing the participants happy and them realizing certain mistakes their making and correcting them.
Cons
Long shifts
Great workplace, awesome co-workers!
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYMay 20, 2015
I really enjoy what I do here at Good Shepherd Services. However, the fact that there is no job advancement options for me really frustrates me.
Pros
Great company!
Cons
No advancement option(s)
A good non profit
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 12, 2015
I loved the staff/team I was able to work with (at an afterschool program). For the most part, everyone is really passionate about helping children.
For a nonprofit, the hourly pay rate is great, however hours are capped at about 18-20 for part time workers.
The upper management was annoying and a big downside to this organization. Seem to do so little, but always have unnecessary suggestions.
Essentially, be ready to do a lot of work outside of your job description and rarely get noticed or rewarded. I didn't mind this aspect because I loved being able to help, but if bonuses and rewards are what you seek, look elsewhere.
Pros
Fun and passionate coworkers
Cons
district directors, not a lot of hours offered, few incentives
Nice place to work until the Management changed.
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Halethorpe, MDMay 10, 2015
Responsible for two (2) 250 HP Clever Brooks Boilers, two (2) 275 Ton Trane Chillers, One BAC Cooling Tower, Seventeen (17) Air Handlers with Pneumatic Controls.
Numerous Pneumatic Systems throughout the Campus. Replaced Motors of all voltages, Repair/rebuild Motor Bearings, repair/rebuild Motor Starters. Arc weld. Braze, Silver Solder, and perform Preventive Maintenance on all Mechanical Equipment and help where needed.
Can be productive, but the structure of the facility is not professional.
Group Leader (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYMay 5, 2015
A typical day at work would be overseeing the participants (teens) who attend the after school program while they attend their activities i.e basketball, computers etc. My coworkers are not as receptive as they should when it comes to viewing things from other perspectives and etc..
Pros
My role suits being a mentor for children and teenagers.
Cons
unsafe neighborhood, poor structure, poor managment and professionalism.
Productive And Cool To Be Around So Many Different Personalities
Leader in Training (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 27, 2015
A day at work would be some kids catching fits because they don't want to do a certain activity. I learned how to react to certain situations with the kids.My co-workers were hilarious and very open minded.The hardest part of my job was to not knock them kids upside they head when they get really disrespectful.The most enjoyable part of my job was seeing the kids happy and having fun.
Pros
Free Snacks
Cons

Want to know more about Good Shepherd Services?

Ask a question
Program Aide (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 7, 2015
Typical day at work is a lot of work being done, sort on staff and no type of organization. I've learned you cant always look out for others because they only look out for themselves. Management wasn't so great, a lot of things wasn't handled properly. My co workers were ok. Most of the time they wasn't there so I had to cover for them. The hardest part of the job I would say would be handling a child that needs more help then we could have provided. The most enjoyable part of the job was teaching the kids something new and different each day no matter how bad the conditions were.
Warm place to work
Nurse Case Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 26, 2015
Great place to work. The goal is to reunite families and build brighter futures for children and families. The hardest part of the job is parents that are unable to reclaim their lives because of substance abuse or personal dysfunction.
Pros
Flexible work schedules
LAID BACK.
Youth Counselor (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYMarch 2, 2015
You have to really be on top of your A game. There is no time for slacking. IF YOU ARENT WILLING TO GIVE YOUR ALL, THEN DON'T APPLY!
Cons
n/a
This is a great company to work for
Administrative Manager (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYMarch 2, 2015
Good Shepherd is a fantastic agency to work for. This is a family oriented agency. The community knows and acknowledges the good work that we do.
Good work value and committment to foster growth
Supervisor, Family Foster Care/Adoption Services (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYFebruary 11, 2015
Foster care is a difficult job in itself and Good Shepherd offers you the basic knowledge and opportunities to advance in the field to certain degree, more so through education. The hardest part is job work/life balance but the best part of the job is sharing a family's overall growth.
Pros
the wealth of knowledge available if you seek it
Cons
job culture diminished as management shifted
productive place
Part-time Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 15, 2015
Good Place to work and advance your career.
Working here you must be compassionate about working with youth in foster care.
After School Program teaching children to become productive individuals
Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 6, 2015
Overall beliefs and concept of teaching is great.
Some managers need to improve time management especially when it comes to scheduling training for their employees
Pros
salary is great.
Cons
i guess it could be great if you have great leaders.
Good Shepherd
Group Leader (Former Employee) –  brooklyn, nyDecember 12, 2014
There are many ways to move up in this company. They are very helpful in any aspect
Fun Workplace
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 5, 2014
Great Non Profit Organization, nice co-workers and opportunity for growth within the organazation.
Wonderful place to work
Director (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYOctober 15, 2014
Amazing work environment, caring staff and administration, room for growth and awesome benefits.