Good Shepherd Services Employee Reviews

High energy/ welcoming environment
Assistant Program Director (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 25, 2015
Welcoming work place. Outgoing people. Hard workers. Organized. Each day was unexpected. I love the participants and their families. The staff were like a family. There was always something new or exciting happening.
Pros
The children and the relationships that were built
Cons
Never enogh time in the day.
Good Shephards
Group Leader/ Admin (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, New yorkJune 23, 2015
Very fun environment kids were amazing. Good shepherds also has a very good reputation. They cared about the children and the employees if you ever needed anything there where there to assist. I also feel the hardest part of my job is when the company at this school closed down due to organization. I feel like we should have been given the opportunity as whole company to make this work for the children's sake.
Pros
work with my college schedule
Cons
Afterschool was shut down
Workplace provides an in depth look at the underprivilaged youth you serve and assist
Afterschool Lead Counselor & Step Dance Instructor (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 31, 2015
Good Shepherd Services is an outlet of service really to all mankind, with a specific importance on disadvantaged youth. The many services the organization provides is astounding, but the personnel may be to blame for lackluster service.
Productive and fun work place
Administrative Assistant intern (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 15, 2015
My time working there was enjoyable and memorable the workers there was always helpful and cool. In this job I learned how to use a fax machine. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to work together with a few friends to get things done. A typical day at work was always funny and hard working
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
there was none
A good non profit
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 12, 2015
I loved the staff/team I was able to work with (at an afterschool program). For the most part, everyone is really passionate about helping children.
For a nonprofit, the hourly pay rate is great, however hours are capped at about 18-20 for part time workers.
The upper management was annoying and a big downside to this organization. Seem to do so little, but always have unnecessary suggestions.
Essentially, be ready to do a lot of work outside of your job description and rarely get noticed or rewarded. I didn't mind this aspect because I loved being able to help, but if bonuses and rewards are what you seek, look elsewhere.
Pros
Fun and passionate coworkers
Cons
district directors, not a lot of hours offered, few incentives
Can be productive, but the structure of the facility is not professional.
Group Leader (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYMay 5, 2015
A typical day at work would be overseeing the participants (teens) who attend the after school program while they attend their activities i.e basketball, computers etc. My coworkers are not as receptive as they should when it comes to viewing things from other perspectives and etc..
Pros
My role suits being a mentor for children and teenagers.
Cons
unsafe neighborhood, poor structure, poor managment and professionalism.
Productive And Cool To Be Around So Many Different Personalities
Leader in Training (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 27, 2015
A day at work would be some kids catching fits because they don't want to do a certain activity. I learned how to react to certain situations with the kids.My co-workers were hilarious and very open minded.The hardest part of my job was to not knock them kids upside they head when they get really disrespectful.The most enjoyable part of my job was seeing the kids happy and having fun.
Pros
Free Snacks
Automotive HS Location
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 25, 2015
Worked as a temp but had the opportunity to move up. Co-workers very professional and friendly. Awesome management. Work with 17 1/2 years old to 20 year old kids to help them get their HS diploma via night classes. Interacted with the principal of the school and reported the attendance daily.
Pros
Get to attend the school events with the kids
Program Aide (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 7, 2015
Typical day at work is a lot of work being done, sort on staff and no type of organization. I've learned you cant always look out for others because they only look out for themselves. Management wasn't so great, a lot of things wasn't handled properly. My co workers were ok. Most of the time they wasn't there so I had to cover for them. The hardest part of the job I would say would be handling a child that needs more help then we could have provided. The most enjoyable part of the job was teaching the kids something new and different each day no matter how bad the conditions were.
If you're a professional boxer or wrestler please apply
Residential (Former Employee) –  Halethrope, mdJuly 6, 2015
This place should not be still standing. The building is not equipped for the individuals that they provide help for. Turn over rate is high. Staff is consistently getting hurt. The mission is great but can be fulfilled at this day and age.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Unsafe environment, no structure
Good work value and committment to foster growth
Supervisor, Family Foster Care/Adoption Services (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYFebruary 11, 2015
Foster care is a difficult job in itself and Good Shepherd offers you the basic knowledge and opportunities to advance in the field to certain degree, more so through education. The hardest part is job work/life balance but the best part of the job is sharing a family's overall growth.
Pros
The wealth of knowledge available if you seek it
Cons
Job culture diminished as management shifted
Diverse cultures which comes together to better the community for youths and parents.
Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Bronx/Brooklyn, NYSeptember 10, 2014
A typical day at work consists of engaging students to expand their academics & skills. I have learned so much about the communities and cultures. Management is good. Co-workers were alright for most of the times. The hardest part of the job is not having enough time with helping a child. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing you made a difference in a child life, for the better.
Pros
Company pays well.
Cons
No benefits.
A place full of activitites and education
5th Grade Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJune 21, 2014
A typical day at work would be like having a full class of students talking and having fun. I learned that just keeping the students in a room all day while they are in the program is pretty boring being that they are children. The co-workers all get along very well. The hardest part of this job was to keep all students together at all times and prevent trouble with the group and the program. The most enjoyable part of this job is having the children go on fun trips and view all the places that they probably have never seen in their lives. Taking pictures of them and posting them on their yearbooks for memories in the program.
Pros
Free lunches, Lots of trips.
Cons
Short brakes.
At times it could be very a exciting and fun work place and at other times it was stressful and painful.
Youth Development Counselor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 18, 2014
The days could range from exciting and fun to stressful and dangerous. You never knew what you were walking into on a day to day bases. It could be a calm and productive day and the next minute your life as well as the staff and residents you were dealing with could be places in extreme danger.
Pros
Helping the youth become the best individuals that they could be.
Cons
My life being put in danger at any given minute.
productive place
Teachers Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 3, 2014
A typical day at that intership consisted of me helping the children with homewoke and supplying snakes.If the children behaved we would do a fun activity close to the end of the afterschool program. The managemet was pretty cool everything seemed in place. All of my coworkers were more like bosses. The hardest part was to actually controll nearly 20-30 children frome ages 6-13. The enjoyable part was the layed back part of the job when i was doing inventory and waiting for parents to come.
Very productive
Summer Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYNovember 5, 2015
I enjoyed working with the children. I learned a lot of others although there were some challenges such as dealing with different emotions I still managed to keep thing well.
Entry Level Training Adimistration
Assistant Training Coordinator (Former Employee) –  new York, NYJanuary 20, 2012
I enjoyed working with the Training Department with Good Shepherd Services, due to my outstanding newly engagement with learning how to train employees to company's policies. I hosted and wrote charts for few events as well as attend the early childhood teaching and mission effectiveness trainings as they enhanced my understanding of children and their habitats, as well as clerical duties in the making.
Pros
learned microsoft offices, free breakfast, arrangments of snacks during training sessions
Cons
since it was an internship i didnt have any hours
Very Productive day
Reception Intern (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYMay 8, 2012
A day on the job is something i look forward too. Meeting new people and learning new things on the work field is a great experience. I learn alot about using telephones, paging workers, and help setting up staff meetings. The people i work with are great and respectful there. My boss is a great guy and id have no problem ever working for him again. the hardest part of the job was interacting with people who couldn't speak english. The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to accomplish all the tasks given to me.
Pros
long breaks
Cons
pay for lunches.
Growing employee centered agency
Administrative Assistant/Data Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 19, 2012
This organization is very vested in growth. They are constantly offering training courses and wellness programs for the employees. There are also several conferences and workshops where the employees get together and share there expertise in order to improve all of the other programs in the agency.
Pros
this agency cares alot about its employees, they are always looking for ways to improve.
Cons
the educational requirements for each position is very strict, you can not advance without these requirements.
Its something that I looked forward to waking up every morning to do
Group Leader (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYJuly 9, 2013
Helping kids with homework conducting STEM activities. Assisting day teachers with after school tutoring. I've learned to control my anger over the three years. I got along with all my co-workers. The hardest part of the job was the language bearer. The most enjoyable thing about my job is being able to put a smile on a kids face and seeing them progress each and every day.
Pros
Love being around the kids and seeing them with smiles on their face
Cons
Not enough hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Good Shepherd Services. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2