Good Shepherd Services Employee Reviews in United States

Automotive HS Location
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 25, 2015
Worked as a temp but had the opportunity to move up. Co-workers very professional and friendly. Awesome management. Work with 17 1/2 years old to 20 year old kids to help them get their HS diploma via night classes. Interacted with the principal of the school and reported the attendance daily.
Pros
Get to attend the school events with the kids
Productive and Fun Work
Youth Development Counselor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 31, 2014
Positive work environment, some stressful days, Worked with Children between the ages of 12-18
Pros
health benefits
Cons
no employee recognition
Program Aide (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 7, 2015
Typical day at work is a lot of work being done, sort on staff and no type of organization. I've learned you cant always look out for others because they only look out for themselves. Management wasn't so great, a lot of things wasn't handled properly. My co workers were ok. Most of the time they wasn't there so I had to cover for them. The hardest part of the job I would say would be handling a child that needs more help then we could have provided. The most enjoyable part of the job was teaching the kids something new and different each day no matter how bad the conditions were.
Great for the youth not the adults that take care of them
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 15, 2014
Good Shepherd was a great place to work, but recently, management doesn't manage. Days are scheduled to be structured, but in actuality, they are not and the environment is chaotic. Directors do not direct. This is as of recently. Money is either missing or there isnt any, co-workers date laterally supervisors/line staff. They promote "Sanctuary" but that's all it is promotion. It isn't a belief. I learned that when the top dogs leave the directors and division directors really are clueless as to what is REALLY going on. The hardest part is no respect for your own time. You are volunteered or expected to stay. People should have been fired but are still there and that's because they kiss butt. Gossip amongst adults where truth is thought to be a lie and lies are taken for truth. Stay away from the detentions and placement.
Pros
good shepherd looks good on your resume
Cons
poor leadership and communication. low balled on pay
i learned
summer intern (Former Employee) –  bronx new yorkSeptember 9, 2015
I learned how to manage myself under stressful environments with large groups of children going on trips everyday on busy public transportation such as the MTA train.
Pros
bonding with children
Cons
exetrmely stressful job with very little pay
Workplace provides an in depth look at the underprivilaged youth you serve and assist
Afterschool Lead Counselor & Step Dance Instructor (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 31, 2015
Good Shepherd Services is an outlet of service really to all mankind, with a specific importance on disadvantaged youth. The many services the organization provides is astounding, but the personnel may be to blame for lackluster service.
great place to work, passion job
Activities Specialist (Promotion) (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 11, 2013
good start up job. atmosphere is great in any department but salary is a little low
Good Shephards
Group Leader/ Admin (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, New yorkJune 23, 2015
Very fun environment kids were amazing. Good shepherds also has a very good reputation. They cared about the children and the employees if you ever needed anything there where there to assist. I also feel the hardest part of my job is when the company at this school closed down due to organization. I feel like we should have been given the opportunity as whole company to make this work for the children's sake.
Pros
work with my college schedule
Cons
Afterschool was shut down
Productive and fun work place
Administrative Assistant intern (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 15, 2015
My time working there was enjoyable and memorable the workers there was always helpful and cool. In this job I learned how to use a fax machine. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to work together with a few friends to get things done. A typical day at work was always funny and hard working
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
there was none
Great introduction to youth development
staff member (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJuly 7, 2014
I truly loved my experience working with youth and families in the Bronx. a typical day included making phone calls, attending meetings, conducting home visits, and preparing for workshops. Management was great in terms of supervising and assisting with supporting the work and professional development. The organization gives employees a chance to increase skills by having them take trainings. The hardest part of the job was unexpected situations that impacted the deliverables needed to give concrete outcomes. The most enjoyable part of the job was connecting community members to programming for youth and families of foster care youth.
Pros
trainings, support by supervisors, co-workers, work culture excellent
Cons
lack of capacity for programs
Great workplace, awesome co-workers!
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYMay 20, 2015
I really enjoy what I do here at Good Shepherd Services. However, the fact that there is no job advancement options for me really frustrates me.
Pros
Great company!
Cons
No advancement option(s)
Fun work environment
Program Aide (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 31, 2015
Working with children on projects, escorting children to activities and events, supervising and participating in children's activities.
Pros
Free trips
If you're a professional boxer or wrestler please apply
Residential (Former Employee) –  Halethrope, mdJuly 6, 2015
This place should not be still standing. The building is not equipped for the individuals that they provide help for. Turn over rate is high. Staff is consistently getting hurt. The mission is great but can be fulfilled at this day and age.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Unsafe environment, no structure
Can be productive, but the structure of the facility is not professional.
Group Leader (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYMay 5, 2015
A typical day at work would be overseeing the participants (teens) who attend the after school program while they attend their activities i.e basketball, computers etc. My coworkers are not as receptive as they should when it comes to viewing things from other perspectives and etc..
Pros
My role suits being a mentor for children and teenagers.
Cons
unsafe neighborhood, poor structure, poor managment and professionalism.
Warm place to work
Nurse Case Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 26, 2015
Great place to work. The goal is to reunite families and build brighter futures for children and families. The hardest part of the job is parents that are unable to reclaim their lives because of substance abuse or personal dysfunction.
Pros
Flexible work schedules
Cons
A supportive environment tht encourages regular growth in terms of techniques that will enhance work.
foster care caseworker (Former Employee) –  Bronx, New YorkSeptember 26, 2014
A typical day at work would begin with a home visit to one of our teen's home and assess he/she's safety and adjustment. The most important lesson learned at Good Shepherd is to always be available for each of our participants when they need us, even if it is inconvenient for us. Management always took the time to ask what we thought and our thoughts on how to approach a particular case. My co-workers were always competent and available in case of an extreme emergency and wold often help out when needed, even though the most challenging part of the job was effectively dealing with abused teens with special needs and engaging them to trust me. Once done, this became the most enjoyable part of the job and would sometimes lead to the accomplishment of the permanency goal.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
the health coverage co-payment was high.
poductive work place
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 21, 2015
Take over the evening shift. Answer phones and forward calls. Answer emails, schedule conference rooms. make copies. the most enjoyable part is my co workers. Very helpful and friendly
Pros
free snacks
Cons
short hours
Productive And Cool To Be Around So Many Different Personalities
Leader in Training (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 27, 2015
A day at work would be some kids catching fits because they don't want to do a certain activity. I learned how to react to certain situations with the kids.My co-workers were hilarious and very open minded.The hardest part of my job was to not knock them kids upside they head when they get really disrespectful.The most enjoyable part of my job was seeing the kids happy and having fun.
Pros
Free Snacks
A fun place to work
Advocate Mentor/ Case Worker (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 1, 2015
Spoke with your supervisor about case load and did daily home visits. Did probation visits and court appointments as needed as well as school assements. prepare service plans for youth and their families
Pros
great support from director
Cons
no cons
Productive and Flexible
Receptionist (Part-Time) (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 4, 2015
The reward of working is the productivity and the co workers are team players. Love the flexible time and the break. Great Medical insurance. Dental insurance not so good, job is demanding at times also noisy.
Pros
Medical and Flexibility
Cons
Dental Insurance not well and ocasionally very noisy

4.2