The function of this position is to plan and implement purposeful social and community activities focusing on inclusion and in which functional skills are developed and maintained.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Facilitate individualized, purposeful and culturally diverse activities based upon participant interests, strengths and needs. Incorporate various teaching strategies utilizing available curriculum and encompassing all areas of life domains.
- Develop, write, implement and facilitate the progress of person centered I.P. personal goals as needed with participant Involvement.
- Involve persons served in planning community activities of interest and provide/arrange transportation as needed.
- Maintain and update required program documentation and paperwork.
- Develop and maintain on-going communication with Coordinator and Program Supervisor as needed regarding participants' services, interests and progress.
- Promote positive relationships between CARE and community agencies and resources that relate to the program.
- Intervene therapeutically during crisis situations as needed.
- Assist with personal care including transferring persons as needed.
- Provide direct training of persons served utilizing skills such as gentle teaching methods.
- Drive agency van to pickup and return program participants. Safely operate wheelchair lift on agency van.
- Assist new participants in adjusting to CARE along with assessing their abilities and choice for services.
- Provide and/or arrange transportation as needed, i.e., utilize own vehicle, local transit.
- Participate on IP team and prepare/complete assigned paperwork.
- Attend staff meetings, in-services and other meetings as assigned.
- Follow petty cash procedures as required.
- Maintain a clean and safe environment.
- Complete all required paperwork thoroughly and in a timely manner.
- Assist with identifying, developing and maintaining updated list of community organizations.
- Hours will be scheduled based on the needs of the department.
- Other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Must maintain the ability to pass a criminal background check.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
High School diploma required, some experience preferred. Increased years of experience will be considered in lieu of educational requirements.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, general business instructions, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals. Ability to speak effectively with participants, caregivers and the general public.
Ability to apply commonsense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with daily operational challenges with a calm demeanor.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; talk to hear; taste or smell. The employee frequently is required to stand and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to walk; sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
The employee must occasionally lift an/or move up to 100 pounds and be able to assist an adult participant from a lying or sitting position. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
The noise level in the environment is usually moderate unless special programming dictates otherwise.