Goodwill Easter Seals Miami Valley Employee Reviews

Research before applying
Facilitator - Specialist (Former Employee), Dayton, OHFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: not working here
Cons: leadership, management, healthcare cost, low pay, seniority, no respect for policies, special favors
Do your research before you apply to this place. You will see mostly people praising the company but pay attention to their occupations. At quick glance, you may see this is a great place to work at, but unless you're in the retail division, believe me, you have no future here.

The company has been going through some changes for nearly a year (staff, management, leadership). The new leadership, not even sure where to begin. The former leader did great things for the company and the Miami Valley area. But recently, with the new changes in leadership, it has provided opposite results. Layoffs, terminations, and "job eliminations" as they are promoting "Now Hiring" on the tower of their new facility. If you satisfy yourself making around $8.50 an hour working a retail job, then this might be a place for you. But don't dream about making it big at the corporate office.

The environment at the main office is interesting to describe. The work isn't hard and their interviewing process is so easy that you could probably get a high management job with your interview being as difficult as getting hired for a sales clerk position. This place has no talent in maintaining a good retention rate and their so called "recruiters" have no experience in the field.

Management there, however, is untouchable. You make the smallest concern or complain, a guaranteed retaliation will happen. Even though retaliation in itself is unacceptable and their own company policy states that it is not tolerated. They will act as if they will address or look into the problem, however the only problem will be – more... any individual who makes any statements that may taint the reputation of anyone in upper management. Just to paint a small picture: a few employees have addressed a retaliation problem within their Facilitator division. Now, none of those employees who addressed the problem to the Executive Management are part of this company. They all either left willingly or terminated.

Again, do your research. If an easy retail job is what you look for and you're okay earning minimum wage, this might be the perfect place for you. Although, don't jump to the opportunity in a heart beat. Most of their jobs available are in retail. It really portrays how people are satisfied working for this company.

If you're looking at building a future and for professional growth, there are better things. They taunt their mission, time and time again. But I think that lately, they've forgotten the meaning of it. Now, it's more profit than non-profit. They do have a new building to pay for so they need all the money they can get. – less
Not what it used to be
Facilitator Division (Former Employee), DaytonFebruary 11, 2015
Cons: healthcare, pay, leadership, professional growth, employee favoritism, management
The leadership took a turn for the worse when the new leader took over. There have been a number of issues and major violations concerting a department within their Facilitator division. The evidence has been presented to their executive management team numerous times and they have turned a blind eye ignoring the violations that could cause the company money in legal issues. For a company like this, money is of the essence considering they just obtained a new building that they are struggling to pay for. They are promoting job growth and their plans to add jobs within the organization in 2015 as they have been laying off numerous people in the past few months.

Their retention rate is ridiculous and again, it's all due to bad management. Don't be fooled by the job postings you see here. That's not promoting growth, that's them struggling to maintain a good retention rate.

This is not a hard place to get hired into, however if you're hired in a position that does not make the company money in anyway, your future is uncertain.

With the new facility came a new leadership with the mentality of turning this organization from non-charitable to a corporation. You hear and see the adds and see their leadership promoting the services, however how can they provide what they promote when they are laying off staff on an every day basis?
new experience
Warehouse/ Loading Dock Laborer (Current Employee), Dayton, OHJanuary 20, 2015
it was a fast paced work place , i learned to work at a fast pace,
my supervisors was really good to work for, my co workers were professional, the hardest part of the job was keeping up with the quota , the most enjoyable part of the job was getting a good workout.
Wonderful Non-Profit
Supervisor (Current Employee), Dayton, OHJanuary 3, 2015
Great place to work, a non profit that cares about the consumers and the individuals served
Not a good place to work!!!!
Customer service (Current Employee), DaytonDecember 26, 2014
Upper management does not care what is going on. When evidence is brought to their attention they turn their heads.
great company
MAINTENANCE/JANITORIAL (Current Employee), Dayton, OHDecember 19, 2014
Pros: get togather
Cons: computer class.
ALL COMPANY WERE GREAT TO WORK FOR.I LEARN TO WORK HARD TO MOVE UP.MANAGEMENT WAE REALLYGOOD.CO-WORKERS WORK GREAT TOGETHER.THERE WAS NOT A HARD PARTI.I ENJOY WORKING WITH MY CO-WORKER.
Multi-faceted non-profit organization
Marketing/Communications Coordinator (Current Employee), dayton ohioOctober 14, 2014
Growing agency serving people with disabilities and other needs in a 23-county service area.
N/A
Facilitator (Current Employee), Dayton, OHApril 1, 2014
I was an okay company to work since I had just come straight out of college
Very good work place
Warehouse/ Loading Dock Laborer (Current Employee), Dayton, OHMarch 24, 2014
It is a good place to work. get alone with everyone and they are very respectful.
ok place to work people are nice
(Floor Crew) Team Leader (Former Employee), Dayton, OHMarch 12, 2014
Cons: get rid of you when work is slow
Manager gets rid of you when work is slow did good work b
ut still laid off
fun,friendly enviroment
Warehouse/ Loading Dock Laborer (Former Employee), Dayton, OHJanuary 30, 2014
goodwill is a good place to work it teaches you how to be a team player a typical day of work is loading and unloadig trucks using pallet and hand jacks management is always there to assist you in answering any questions you may have the co-workers are friendly and allways ready to give assistance the most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new people .
Overall, a nice place to work.
Production Worker (Former Employee), Dayton, OHJanuary 16, 2014
Pros: friendly atmosphere.
Cons: the pay was not piece rate but hourly - based on one test
Our crew arrived in the morning. There was plenty of time to socialize before the time to work. Our manager told us which clothes should be hung or discarded. We salvaged thru box crates that contained these clothes and put them where the manager had instructed. I am a hard worker and i did my best to sort these clothes while keeping a friendly attitude. I am glad the people there were friendly and easy to talk to. Basically that was the job.
Warehouse Production
Warehouse Production (Current Employee), Dayton, OHOctober 30, 2013
I work production. I maintain ingoing and outgoing inventory. I like working with the people. The pay was not enough.
Great place for second chances
Dock Worker (Current Employee), Dayton, OHOctober 30, 2013
I enjoy working with the people and the fact that they do not look down on me.
Enjoyable
Case Manager (Former Employee), Dayton, OHOctober 15, 2013
Pros: was contantly being busy
Cons: when the work load slow down
Answered, transferred, and place telephone calls
Multitask and adjust work load
Prioritize time utilize task and manage work load
Manager
Developmental Disabilities Supervisor (Former Employee), Dayton, OHSeptember 28, 2013
Pros: nice company with lots of great people
Cons: hired people that didn't have experience, and ones that were friends of other supervisor and then would work directly under them
Goodwill went through a ton of changes and terminated and demoted and also brought back staff that were friends only with current HR Administrator and had committed lots of things including false applications for benefits and benefits not being correct for several years.
Helpful and Happy place to work...they are giving me an oppurtunity to grow.
Dock Loader (Current Employee), Dayton, OHAugust 20, 2013
I have learned about safety and discipline. I have learned about setting goals and reaching them. I like that the staff is friendly and patient.
Loved working with the clients each day
Personal Care Technician (Former Employee), Dayton, OHJuly 21, 2013
Pros: able to drive clients to their activities and participate
Cons: parents of clients interfere with treatment at times
The company was rewarding to work for because I was able to build a healthy rapport with clients, while teaching them how to be self-sufficient in their daily activities.
great job great people hot warehouse but great people to work with.
Loading Dock/ Warehouse (Current Employee), Dayton, OHJune 7, 2013
Pros: free lunch
Cons: not long enough shifts
I enjoy working for goodwill the people are great. I would like to work there full-time or part-time.
used to love my job...but pay and advancement never came while i received more responsibilites
over a MRDD program (Former Employee), OhioApril 30, 2013
they do great things in their programs for their customers and clients but as far as being an employee...they really need to work on employee retention and happiness.