Goodwill Industries of Central North Carolina Employee Reviews

Good place for an internship
Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCOctober 27, 2014
I would arrive after class in the afternoon, input volunteer data into the computer system. Help either recruit volunteers, set up appointments, give out information, or be working on fundraiser details. In the workplace there was lots of diversity which gave me time to meet and talk to people from all over the place. I learned how to be personable over the phone which I had no prior experience to as well as becoming a leader when it was needed. Some days were busier than others, those were the days I enjoyed the most, compared to the days where I did not have much to do. I still talk to my boss's and see how the office is doing, this internship was the best thing that could have happened to me.
Pros
got to get out of the office every now and then
Cons
did not get paid for the internship
Laziest People Ever
keyholder (Former Employee) –  S Church St; Burlington, NCOctober 6, 2014
The laziest people that I have ever encountered. Managers leave for lunch come back 15 minsutes later to clock out, because that's when their food arrived, then lunch for an hour, clock in and still go back to the break room to "finish" their lunch; and for some reason they all felt as if they "HAD" to eat together. I was a key holder and was left alone for entire shifts, while other managers said they had to do nothing but price yet every time I asked for help or a break they couldn't be found; and when they were located they would all be outside with the manager or assistant manager who would be smoking. Never received a evaluation or a raise yet people that started after me did. Did I mention that they are also some of the biggest liars.
Pros
good job
Cons
low pay, dishonest management
unecessary stress
hanger (Former Employee) –  greensboroApril 14, 2014
While working there, management did nothing but pass their work onto someone else. Folks would be doing the work of 2 or 3 people while still trying to do their own. Often times higher ups had to come in and work to make up for the staff's shortcomings. They are definitely about the money, maybe even moreso than helping folks. Didn't agree with people purchasing used undergarments, but I guess anything for the money. There was no teamwork. I learned that teamwork makes a job easier for all involved. I wished they would express that more instead of all about the money. I felt such a relief when I quit I wondered why I didn't do it sooner. Employees watched and treated like criminals but they sold other peoples things back to them?
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
working there
productive
Work Adjustment Trainee (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCSeptember 8, 2013
typical day doing job training there
Supervisors were good to work under
Pros
stayed busy
Cons
short term
great benefits for FT but lousy place to work
Keyholder (Former Employee) –  Randleman, NCMay 31, 2013
I was employed by the company for 3 years and every day was a struggle to get up and go in after the first 6 months of working for the company. 1 person does the job for 5 other co-workers. There is no teamwork and the home office just says contact your DM (district manager), they does no good when the manager is sleeping with your boss. Very unprofessional and the percentage of the money they make claims to go to the public, but most of it is spent within the company. Takes forever to get anywhere with the company. Benefits for the Full time employees was great though and being a keyholder did have some perks but overall worst mistake of my life.
Pros
benefits for ft employees
Cons
hardly ever get breaks, bad management
not a good place to work
Sales Associate/Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJanuary 21, 2013
Job start out been enjoyable but after working there for 6 mo. you find out that really what goodwill is that they all about the money, I learn how not to be inconsiderate of others, how not to work as team, bacily there is no team work, one person do the work of 4 people, the management is not that great, co-workers not all of them is hard to get along with no matter how hard you try, They will take your job from you if get hurt on job. I gotten hurt on the job twice and they start cutting my hours from 40 to 18 hrs. a week, they were trying to force me to quick, but sense that didnt work they just up and took my job with no explanation at all. So I really think Goodwill is not good place to work unless you have no other choice.
Pros
paid holidays and vacations
Cons
inconsiderate, hard work for little pay
Enjoyable work with low pay
Computer Technician (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCFebruary 25, 2012
I did like the work I performed, especially selling tech equipment in the retail store. However, I was not thrilled about the retail management staff and the communication was not that great.
Pros
flexible work schedules
Cons
low hourly pay

2.6