Goodwill Industries of Central Texas Employee Reviews

Fast paced fun workplace
Retail Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 7, 2015
Busy stores with supportive management. Lots of room for development. Enjoyable teams, lots of incentives, insightful classes and training is provided.
Pros
Staff
Cons
Salary
Be wary of non-profits
Director of IT (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 14, 2015
Working for GICT was the greatest experience of my life, twice!

But lack of funding, staffing, and compensate salaries, made staying there too stressful.
Pros
Younger workforce (below management) so very upbeat, fun and generally positive.
Cons
Management saw IT as an expense not an investment.
Co-workers were great to work with always had fun at work
Warehouse Worker/ Truckdriver Helper (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 3, 2015
Twins was a nice place to learn a good trade the only trouble was it was mostly family related workers. The jobs were all new construction homes so at that time the work was at its peak also. I did learn more about wiring new homes than I ever thought I would.
Pros
Great electricians to work beside who cared about their work
Cons
Hard to get advancement with so many good electricians
okay company
Human Resources Clerk (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 11, 2015
There was really no room for me to advance at goodwill. Every time I would apply for a position someone would get it over me and they would not even have the experience.
Love the Customers
Retail 2/Cashier/ Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 21, 2014
It was a good company to work for it was just my school hours and making time to do school work, and I love talking to the customers. And showing how and where the items are and where to get them at.
benefits
Cons
hours
A growing experience
A. Logistics Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Austin,TXJuly 14, 2014
Take supply orders from 27 stores first thing, Plan routes for all drivers. Create driver/forklift operator board. Maintain DOT/OSHA safety through-out the day. Pay role/Time sheets. I supervised 35 employees and maintained a fleet of 6 Tractors/6 Box Trucks & 87 Dry Van Box Trailers
Pros
great benefits
Cons
upper managment un-informed
Good place to learn teamwork
Hardline Production (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 9, 2014
Great place to learn to work with a team. Participate in costumer service throughout the day.
Pros
location
Great Place to Work!!
Manager, Information Technology (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 9, 2014
A typical day for me was not a typical day for anyone else in the IT world when you work at Goodwill. In order to make it at Goodwill you have to wear "many hats" and work many hours in order to support the needs and demand that is required from this IT environment.
The very best thing I have learned here at Goodwill is that it has helped me become very well rounded in the IT world since I get to deal with every aspect of the environment, from desktop support all the way to trouble shooting the network at the "core" level.
My co-workers here at Goodwill are the best! I couldn't ask for a better team.
The most enjoyable part about my job is that I LOVE what I do and there is never a day that I wake up to go to work and think that for one second, I don't want to go. Getting up and going into work here at Goodwill has been very enjoyable and really do not even consider it to be work.
Pros
everything about the job is a great
Cons
cannot think of any
Hard work is the only thing that will see you advance
Retail III supervisor (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 18, 2013
It is necessary to be flexible and understand the purpose that you have in this job. Through dedication and hard work you are offered a multitude of opportunities to advance. Goodwill is all about the mission which is generating lifelong connections to work. Whether it is the individual taking the donations at the door or the one putting the revenue generated by those donations into one of the many programs Goodwill has to offer the job is very satisfying and it such a simple concept. to turn used goods into revenue that helps thousands of people every year find work, training ,housing, etc I can think of nothing negative to say about the company overall
Pros
team work and education offered to make your role more effecient
Cons
n/a
Ebooks Worker
Ebooks Worker (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 9, 2013
• Scanned donated items for online sale
• Stocked books for delivery; packaged items for delivery
• Sorted books and other donated items
Good place to work helps keep me in shape.
Production WorkerIII (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 3, 2013
Goodwill Production III is a good position for me, it is ever changing, and tough work, must lift and use pallet jack, helps keep me in shape. I enjoy working in a warehouse.
Pros
some bonus opportunity
Cons
some people, pay to low, p/t position
Enhancing my current abilities and learning new projects
Job Source Receptionist/Computer Monitor (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 22, 2013
My workdays would be medium-paced and would be filled with administrative projects throughout the day. I would be learning new projects as well. I work well with limited supervision;however, I like to speak to my supervisor about how a project is going or if there are any needs from my supervisor that they may need me to know. I enjoy being a team player as well. Their experience or insight into a project would enhance my work as well. The hardest part of my job would be fast-paced deadlines. I work well with deadlines, but at a slower pace. The most enjoyable part of my job would be working diligently and meticulously to move a project to completion.
Pros
healthcare; dental care
Cons
working overtime
Fun place to work
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 12, 2013
Goodwill provides great support in continued education. The atmosphere is dynamic. I enjoy seeing the results of the mission everyday and knowing that I am a part of that makes my day.
Fast paced and challenging job
Logistics Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 17, 2012
Due to the unpredictabilty of The Industry that Goodwill operates in the flow was very up and down through the year. Usually we were so busy that it was all you could do to keep up. I enjoyed the fast pace and chaos most of the time, there was never a dull moment. We found ourselves without the tools we needed to effectivly opperate at times, somehow we always got the job the job done. This was the hardest part of the position.

I will miss the people more than anything. I always found my employees are the most rewarding part of management. I found that as a whole the company cares deeply about its employees and continually trains and teaches them. I would say that watching them grow and suceed was the most enjoyable part of the position.
Pros
freedom to excel or fail, invested in employees.
Cons
uninvolved management, unwillingness to provide resources, negitive department infighting.
Austin Goodwill Industries runs circles around the rest
e-Commerce Online Auction Lister (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 6, 2012
Goodwill Industries come under different area and regional umbrellas that follow different missions. Goodwill Industries of Central Texas goes above and beyond it's mission statement with innovative e-commerce and huge recycling operations. Goodwill in Austin is huge and has a strong community presence with job search centers, plenty of retail stores throughout and partnerships with Dell and Workforce Solutions.
Having just relocated to Houston I'm shocked by how mom & pop Houston Goodwill is being run. The Houston board of directors, CEO and executive staff need to rethink their entire operation. Maybe go to Austin and learn how to run a seriously professional non profit organization with real community impact.
Pros
servant leadership philosphy, great benefits, education culture & plenty of opportunity to move up & build a career.
Fast paced friendly work community
Trainee (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 2, 2012
Over the years I have learned that it is important to be a responsible employee by coming to work on time, discussing needs and issues related to the business with my supervisor, and work hard to complete job objectives in a respectful, responsible manner. I have experience working in a warehouse setting doing manual labor. I was required to lift and organize large objects, sort recyclable materials, books, DVDS, CD’s and VHS tapes for future shipment and/or sales. I learned how to salvage TVS, radios and other electronics hardware so in order to recycle the copper material they contain. Another part of the recycling process required organizing luggage carefully onto pallets and bailing stuffed animals so that they could be transported to other facilities for re-sale. I also have extensive experience performing janitorial work. I have sanitized “clean rooms”, cleaned offices, conference rooms, and restrooms to ensure employee and customer satisfaction.
Fun Place
Retail Production II (Former Employee) –  Austin, TexasNovember 21, 2011
Place great to grow and learn and to move around in the company.
Pros
room of advancement
Cons
can get fired for anything really.

4.2