Goodwill Industries of Northern New England

Goodwill Industries of Northern New England Employee Reviews in United States

Fun workplace with good benefits for entry level-skilled workers
Sales Associate II (Former Employee) –  Concord, NHOctober 21, 2015
This job had great benefits for people facing barriers to marketplace employment. I earned $9.15 per hour to participate in an assortment of duties that often changed daily. The most enjoyable part of this job was making customers feel happy and well-serviced. This job challenged me mentally and physically.
Pros
Employee discount, variety of duties
Cons
Lack of discipline, favoritism in management
Productive with very little fun allowed
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Belfast, MEAugust 17, 2015
The hardest part of the job is being understaffed for so long or having enough people and then having people leave. Another hard part is how little they give raises. A typical day at work I lift a lot of sort through a bunch of stuff. I've learned about many different items and I've learned to have more patience then when I started. My co-workers feed off of my positive, silly, but productive attitude. The most enjoyable part of my job is when people notice my work, unfortunately this doesn't happen a lot at this job.
Pros
store discount
Cons
group raises instead of individual and only $1.37 worth of raises within almost 4 years of service
great stuff
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  South Portland, MaineOctober 14, 2015
It was a joy working with my co-workers and discovering the neat things that are donated. There was a great environment and a desire to succeed.
In recent years there have been some changes in upper management which has caused a shift in the business climate in the retail division.
Pros
Great healthcare benifits for full timers!
Cons
Not a lot of opportunity to move up from the retail division.
I don't know how to rate no stars
retail (Former Employee) –  Maine, MEJuly 25, 2016
What Goodwill management thinks of Goodwill and what it's front line workers think are so far apart it is astounding. I think you will notice that those who rate this high were management and those who were underpaid... severely underpaid.. were not. This is not one store
this is a corporate culture.

Do not expect a raise for performance.. it doesn't happen .

What is expected changes every single day.. how it is to be done changes every single day. The turnover rate is high for a reason
Pros
store discount
Cons
bad pay, poor communication daily changing standards and methods
Great place to work. Something different everyday.
Sen. Dir. of Community Supports/Case Management (Former Employee) –  Portland, MaineJuly 28, 2015
My 25 years at Goodwill was rewarding and very fulfilling. Goodwill grew tremendously over those 25 years expanding their services to serve people from various backgrounds and cultures. The work environment enriched my life and I am fortunate to have had such a great work experience. Management was supportive and my coworkers utilized best practice methods to bring about success for our customers.
Pros
Energetic team, proactive rather than reactive, worked with wonderful caring people who were passionate about their work.
Cons
Long hours, much travel time
Immoral bussiness practice
Ecommerce associate (Former Employee) –  Gorham, MEOctober 25, 2015
In the past few years, Goodwill has transitioned from thrift shop to a big time ebay seller. They made this transition without informing the public and relying on their past presence to acquire goods. Most people don't know that any item thought to be worth at least 15 USD, is shipped out of the store it was given to and is placed on ebay after appraisal, to the highest bidder. They make massive profits and do not pay nearly as well as they should.
Pros
you can accrue time off
Cons
poor culture of people and bad pay compared to profits
Was sometimes a fun place and sometimes a stressful place to work
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  South Portland, MaineOctober 3, 2015
The job has a good variety of duties and things to keep you interested daily. The management can sometimes be difficult with expectations of the employees, especially during busy times of the year. The customers were interesting and working for a non profit was a good feeling.
Pros
30%discount
Cons
very hard work, physically and mentally
Great company
Payroll Manager (Former Employee) –  Gorham,MaineNovember 18, 2015
I was very impressed with how this company operates. The management and the CFO really care about the employees. I would recommend this company anytime for any position if you like working for non-profit.
Pros
Flexiable hrs
Encourages growth from within
Controller (Current Employee) –  Gorham MaineSeptember 29, 2015
Goodwill Industries of Northern New England is a company that encourages growth from within. They believe in investing in their employees and mentoring them to grow, knowing that may mean good employees may outgrow their growth potential. They firmly believe in helping individuals become self sustainable and engaged in their community.
Pros
Continue to put employees first
Cons
As a non-profit agency, there is always a tough financial balance
A good part-time job!
Custodian/Janitorial (Current Employee) –  Waterville, MEOctober 31, 2015
A job working with minimum of supervision due to job locations. On one location I'm one of a crew of 3 persons, in the lead and the other place I work alone. The most enjoyable part of my job is receiving complements from my customers.
Pros
Working as a self starter, planning your own day.
Cons
None really, It is what it is! a part time opertunity
Stay away from this store at ALL costs
Sales Associate II (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHAugust 1, 2015
The job is fairly easy. Take donations, sort them, price them, put them on the sales floor. However, the management there is awful. This place can not keep employees. Human resources is a joke.

I tried to report harassment to the store manager, nothing was done. I then contacted HR and they told me that it wasn't harassment and that the store manager had told them I had not reported anything. Human resources never even looked in to my claims about what was making me uncomfortable in the workplace and took my manager's word for everything, even though it was her butt on the line, not mine, and she had a reason to be lying.

The starting wage may look good to you, but it's not worth the drama. Lazy employees are not punished, while hardworkers are being pushed right out the door. Seems as though this place is purposely being run in to the ground.

Current management is refusing to promote within, no matter how much experience you have or the amount of work you do.

If you like the starting wage, do yourself a favor and apply to the Hooksett store or another one in the area, as the Manchester store is falling apart.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Management, work environment, scheduling, no room to advance, HR is no help
DSP (Former Employee) –  Augusta, MEJanuary 3, 2013
I enjoyed working with Goodwill because it was very rewarding having the opportunity to help others in need. Most of my co-workers were great team players. The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to take the consumers on outings. The hardest part of my job was having to leave due to needing surgery and personal family obligations.
Pros
assisting others in need
Cons
no benefits for part-time employees
Great work/life balance
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Gorham, MEJune 26, 2015
I dedicated 10 years of myself with the company. In that time period I had the opportunity to learn and grow throughout different areas of the organization. I worked alongside many different departments and made some life long friendships. Knowing the number of people the work we did served made getting up and going to work everyday very prideful. I was proud of what I did but more proud of who benefited from that.
Pros
working with great people
Cons
top management
Good pay to get ahead in life, bad and careless management.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brewer, MEMay 22, 2015
I worked at Goodwill Industries of NNE for five years and only felt disrespected in the last two years of my career. No room to grow; If you want to challenge and/or better your life and gain life skills by working here and at another job, run. Run for cover as fast as you can. Way too much tasks are placed on associates and little is ever shown from higher management that they appreciate it. In fact, the appreciation that is shown is to add more tasks to your already impossible production demands. I have never seen a retail store openly ignore their customers because they place so much of their production demands on associates, yet on their employment requirements they emphasize that customer focus is a must. If you rely on customer interactions to be a part of your career, keep looking. That will never happen here, and any and all in-store and executive managers really don't care to change that. And I have never seen so much butt-kissing in one place to make sure you get just a tiny bit of something. Only if your kissing butt so much will you ever gain anything that even relates to a managerial role within the company. My lips will never ever be hurting again, and I LOVE setting this bridge ablaze.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Way too short breaks, ignoring any customer service, proud disrespect and exploitation of their associates, lack of personal and professional growth.
Friendly environment!
Deaf Services Case Manager - MR/DD (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEJune 26, 2015
Everyday at Goodwill was very busy and even then, all of the personnel were very friendly and helpful. When I started working at Goodwill, my American Sign Language was "okay" and my co-workers were extremely patient with me, worked with me, and helped me become fluent.
Pros
Friendly evironment
Cons
Job security
Fun workplace
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Seabrook, NHAugust 12, 2015
Good coworkers. It's a lively work place that I enthusiastically often volunteer to participate in.

I have volunteered to cover gaps in shift coverage and taken initiative to accomplish needed tasks on my own and without direction.
Pros
Pleasant route to work.
Cons
I have higher aspirations.
Strong team player
Truck driver (Former Employee) –  Goodwill in Concord NH On Louden roadMay 20, 2015
I come into work every day.
Every day is different
Management ... I say good morning to them, And start my work.
I am a strong team player.
There isn't anything hard about my job..
Being there at work every day :)
Pros
There BBQs
Busy for all - great place to work
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Gorham, MEMarch 24, 2015
Working as a Project Manager for Goodwillnne I was able to learn great skills. Communication, organization, motivating others, motivating myself, and most important - people skills!
Inspiring
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Augusta, MEMay 2, 2013
I have worked for Goodwill over 7 years. My mother has worked for Goodwill 18 years. I love my job! I go to work every day, loving the fact that I can make a difference in someone's life. Most of the management, and employees that work for Goodwill are there not for money, or to be looked up to, but because they truly want to make a difference.
High accountability in all aspects of any job.
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Lewiston, MEMay 7, 2014
While I am a relatively new supervisor, I am expected to know all aspects of my job. When I make a mistake, it is because I did not know. While it is an effective way to learn, I feel it is unfair. Proper training in my position would have been helpful but the nature of the job does not allow time for this.
Pros
incredibly fast paced work where time flies by very quickly.
Cons
not enough time in the shift to accomplish all i would like to get done.

2.8