Goodwill Industries of Northern New England

Goodwill Industries of Northern New England Employee Reviews

Hire process
Management Trainee (Former Employee) –  MaineNovember 3, 2017
If your going to do interviews... 3 hrs long , phone , person, 3rd time. Doesn't call you back until a week or two later. Waste of time. No time concerned.
Cons
Not worth it
Horrendous place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Biddeford, MESeptember 2, 2017
Really bad place to work management is horrible it's a joke here. Manager listened to nothing I had to say very pushy mangers talk about employees act like it's no big deal to call out employees in front of people do not apply here
Pros
Discount
Cons
Bad management
Good place to start a career in retail or management
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Gorham, MEAugust 31, 2017
Goodwill of NNE is a great place to work if you are a student, switching career paths, or want to start a career in retail management. The management team was under-developed and they didn't care to help you advance. But, they will hire from within if a position above yours empties out.
E-Commerce Sales Associate
Ecommerce Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Gorham, MEAugust 29, 2017
The work varies from day to day. One day you might be picking and packing books for shipment. Another day, you might be researching and choosing which donated items to put up for auction on eBay. I've learned a lot about the operations of a non-profit e-commerce retail business from production to shipping to customer service (answering e-mails from customers). The management at Goodwill e-commerce works very hard to keep us motivated and informed about our goals and how they relate to the agency's mission. The workplace culture of Goodwill Industries of Northern New England is very focused on encouraging the best out of their employees and emphasizing that we aren't just in retail for profit, but to help our clients. The hardest part of the job is that, even though they pay competitively, they cannot, understandably, compete with what a for-profit retail business. They compensate for this by offering full benefits to full-time employees and many other perks. The most enjoyable part of the job is that they always try to fit the employee with what they love to do.
Pros
Feeling good about being in a service-oriented occupation, doing what you love to do.
Cons
The pay doesn't quite cut it, and some of the policies seem are little more stringent than they should be.
Needs improvement
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHAugust 17, 2017
Management is a mess. No communication between any of the employees. No real train process no trainor title. Employees should be paid more for teaching or training new associates.
Mediocre at best
Ecommerce (Current Employee) –  Gorham, MEAugust 11, 2017
Goodwill as a whole is a good company. That means well and trys to help out the community as a whole. Though there are some people inside the company that arent exactly the best people to work with or for.
Pros
Paid breaks, Pto, BBQs, Holiday parties, Nice people
Cons
Poor managment, unfair wage
Career Oriented Group
GoodTech Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Gorham, MEJuly 31, 2017
Overall I enjoyed my time at Goodwill of NNE. They managers were knowledgeable, and willing to assist you if you needed it. The structure was open to new ideas, and focused around having fun in the workplace along with hitting goals on time and accurately performing your work.
Pros
Frequent fun events such as cook-outs, parties, and great management. Communication oriented.
Cons
Not focussed on raising the bar of fair pay to supervisors. They pay more attention to the managers, and store workers.
Good at first, then it goes downhill.
Ecommerce Retail Sales Associate II (Current Employee) –  Gorham, MEJuly 29, 2017
Everyone is treated equally, even if they suck. Doesn't matter how hard you work just how much you brown nose for promotions. People being hired at a higher rate than me and I've been here 2 years now, never seen a raise. If you value your time and take pride in your work this is not the place for you. Quantity over Quality. Mostly enjoyable crew only thing keeping me here.
Pros
Not dealing with customers
Cons
Relaxed staff, no one is held accountable for anything. Extremely frustrating for hard working individuals.
Quality Company
Direct Support Professional III (Current Employee) –  Portland, MEJuly 23, 2017
A quality company that provides great training programs and is a leader in Maine. I have worked here for 18 years and have been a valued member of many work teams serving the needs of developmentally disabled individuals living in Portland and surrounding areas.
Pros
Many job opportunities
Laid back place to work
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Topsham, MEJuly 10, 2017
For a retail job this is a pretty laid back position for supervisors. Most my time was spent supervising rather than actually working. If this sounds good to you then this is the job for you.
Great job
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Williston, VTMay 22, 2017
I love Goodwill, the people that work there are amazing and hard working. The experience of working here was great because there's such a variety of people that come in, it exposes you to lots of different ways of life if your open to the job. It can be stressful at times, especially at closing but if you like clothes and people I really recommend this.
Pros
Diversity, organization
Cons
Stressful
waste of time and effort.
Sorter/Packer (Former Employee) –  Laconia, NHApril 18, 2017
One of the worst places to work. The so called training is half assed and computer based and did not work at all when I tried to do it. So I essentially got no training at all, and then they fired me for really no reason at all. So don't waste your time applying there, .
Pros
Cons
incompetent management
Positive Environment with Room for Advancement
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Somersworth, NHMarch 6, 2017
Goodwill has numerous programs helping people with disabilities, head trauma, those who have trouble finding work and the elderly. I am proud to be part of a company that does so much good for the community.
awesome and challenge
Direct Support Professional with Deaf plus DD (Former Employee) –  South Portland, MEJanuary 3, 2017
Great teamworks with my co-workers and my boss is awesome and is really flexiable when i really need to change my schedule or to fit in my hours weekly.

Worked for Good will at year 2006 i got 10.50 per hour and then I had to resigned and i went back there and they offer me 10.00 ? and I took it anyway then increase my pay over my complaint after about six months i get 10.25 . but better than nothing . I should of had more since i have more experience but yea .... that what it is . not cool at all .
Pros
sign language communication, socializing with clients, help others
Cons
no benefit for part time
Not sure if Goodwill is really non-profit or just a scam for board of directors
aftermarket (Former Employee) –  Hudson, NHDecember 30, 2016
Pros: Easy work
Mostly good coworkers
Fairly relaxed atmosphere

Cons: No pay raises
No advancement
Management is a joke
Does not feel like a real non-profit organization
very disorganized company
Pros
easy work
Cons
to many to list
Any good thing must go away.
Warehouse Associate 2 (Current Employee) –  Gorham, MEDecember 28, 2016
There is no need for you here. If you work here be in the mind set that its temporary. To stay on permanent you must become a favorite of someone important. If you do manage to stay on be prepared to watch any benefits you have taken away and watch hard working temps and seasonals get let go constantly to be replaced with incompetent ones or even more hard working ones to be eventually replaced. There's no need to hire too many permanent employees when temps and seasonals can always be brought on to help avoid all those pesky costs of having a real work force. If you like training people you'll have plenty of opportunities to train every few weeks, sometimes months. The people who work here are mostly good and even some of the management is good but it is a non-profit that claims to do good for people and says they will do good by you but it is only words. Part of their mission statement is to supposedly help their employees have a livable income. Those are a few complaints to remind you that if you work here you should really be in the mindset that this is only temporary, this place is not worth it.
Pros
Fairly good about accepting time off.
Cons
Incentives and benefits are constantly stripped from you
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Current Employee) –  Augusta, MEDecember 6, 2016
I've worked at Goodwill's Lifeworks program (a community day program for DD adults) for five years. I enjoy the people I work with (staff/clients alike) and it's a fun, easy-going work environment. There are a variety of activities from week to week and opportunities to utilize your strengths.
Pros
Fairly flexible, laid-back environment
Cons
Breaks can be hard to get some days, some clients can be challenging to work with
Horrible place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Gorham, MENovember 27, 2016
The management is a joke as well as the HR department. You won't be compensated or praised for your hard work. They never hire within unless you are a "favorite". They are famous for eliminating a position, then 6 months later will recreate the job but call it something else. They have no compassion or loyalty to employees that have been there for years. They will fire you with NO warnings or write ups, if they want you gone, you're gone. It's a horrible atmosphere to work in. They were losing money due to mismanagement in 201 5, so they cut benefits, gave no raises and laid of numerous employees. I would NEVER recommend Goodwill as a place to work. They do more for those without jobs than their own employees.
Cons
everything
Horrible Management
Warehouse Supervisor (Former Employee) –  NHNovember 15, 2016
Horrible managers who never get held accountable for anything they do. When a hard worker who always tries to help everyone out tries to do the right thing and gets in trouble for it.
Decent Place to Work
Career Advisor (Current Employee) –  Portland, MEAugust 30, 2016
Management varies team by team and department by department. Overall, offers good retirement plan and match, decent health plan for full time employees.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Goodwill Industries of Northern New England. Our community is ready to answer.