Goodwill Industries of Northern New England

Goodwill Industries of Northern New England Employee Reviews

awesome and challenge
Direct Support Professional with Deaf plus DD (Former Employee) –  South Portland, MEJanuary 3, 2017
Great teamworks with my co-workers and my boss is awesome and is really flexiable when i really need to change my schedule or to fit in my hours weekly.

Worked for Good will at year 2006 i got 10.50 per hour and then I had to resigned and i went back there and they offer me 10.00 ? and I took it anyway then increase my pay over my complaint after about six months i get 10.25 . but better than nothing . I should of had more since i have more experience but yea .... that what it is . not cool at all .
Pros
sign language communication, socializing with clients, help others
Cons
no benefit for part time
Not sure if Goodwill is really non-profit or just a scam for board of directors
aftermarket (Former Employee) –  Hudson, NHDecember 30, 2016
Pros: Easy work
Mostly good coworkers
Fairly relaxed atmosphere

Cons: No pay raises
No advancement
Management is a joke
Does not feel like a real non-profit organization
very disorganized company
Pros
easy work
Cons
to many to list
Any good thing must go away.
Warehouse Associate 2 (Current Employee) –  Gorham, MEDecember 28, 2016
There is no need for you here. If you work here be in the mind set that its temporary. To stay on permanent you must become a favorite of someone important. If you do manage to stay on be prepared to watch any benefits you have taken away and watch hard working temps and seasonals get let go constantly to be replaced with incompetent ones or even more hard working ones to be eventually replaced. There's no need to hire too many permanent employees when temps and seasonals can always be brought on to help avoid all those pesky costs of having a real work force. If you like training people you'll have plenty of opportunities to train every few weeks, sometimes months. The people who work here are mostly good and even some of the management is good but it is a non-profit that claims to do good for people and says they will do good by you but it is only words. Part of their mission statement is to supposedly help their employees have a livable income. Those are a few complaints to remind you that if you work here you should really be in the mindset that this is only temporary, this place is not worth it.
Pros
Fairly good about accepting time off.
Cons
Incentives and benefits are constantly stripped from you
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Current Employee) –  Augusta, MEDecember 6, 2016
I've worked at Goodwill's Lifeworks program (a community day program for DD adults) for five years. I enjoy the people I work with (staff/clients alike) and it's a fun, easy-going work environment. There are a variety of activities from week to week and opportunities to utilize your strengths.
Pros
Fairly flexible, laid-back environment
Cons
Breaks can be hard to get some days, some clients can be challenging to work with
Horrible place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Gorham, MENovember 27, 2016
The management is a joke as well as the HR department. You won't be compensated or praised for your hard work. They never hire within unless you are a "favorite". They are famous for eliminating a position, then 6 months later will recreate the job but call it something else. They have no compassion or loyalty to employees that have been there for years. They will fire you with NO warnings or write ups, if they want you gone, you're gone. It's a horrible atmosphere to work in. They were losing money due to mismanagement in 201 5, so they cut benefits, gave no raises and laid of numerous employees. I would NEVER recommend Goodwill as a place to work. They do more for those without jobs than their own employees.
Cons
everything
Horrible Management
Warehouse Supervisor (Former Employee) –  NHNovember 15, 2016
Horrible managers who never get held accountable for anything they do. When a hard worker who always tries to help everyone out tries to do the right thing and gets in trouble for it.
Decent Place to Work
Career Advisor (Current Employee) –  Portland, MEAugust 30, 2016
Management varies team by team and department by department. Overall, offers good retirement plan and match, decent health plan for full time employees.
I don't know how to rate no stars
retail (Former Employee) –  Maine, MEJuly 25, 2016
What Goodwill management thinks of Goodwill and what it's front line workers think are so far apart it is astounding. I think you will notice that those who rate this high were management and those who were underpaid... severely underpaid.. were not. This is not one store
this is a corporate culture.

Do not expect a raise for performance.. it doesn't happen .

What is expected changes every single day.. how it is to be done changes every single day. The turnover rate is high for a reason
Pros
store discount
Cons
bad pay, poor communication daily changing standards and methods
A serious social enterprise that's challenging and rewarding
President, Retail Sales and Operations (Current Employee) –  Portland, MEFebruary 24, 2016
Goodwill is growing and building upon it's successes. Management is generally capable, but recent senior hires aren't acclimatized to the non-profit culture.
Pros
Highly driven to live the values
Cons
finding it's way as growth changes the culture
Great company
Payroll Manager (Former Employee) –  Gorham,MaineNovember 18, 2015
I was very impressed with how this company operates. The management and the CFO really care about the employees. I would recommend this company anytime for any position if you like working for non-profit.
Pros
Flexiable hrs
A good part-time job!
Custodian/Janitorial (Current Employee) –  Waterville, MEOctober 31, 2015
A job working with minimum of supervision due to job locations. On one location I'm one of a crew of 3 persons, in the lead and the other place I work alone. The most enjoyable part of my job is receiving complements from my customers.
Pros
Working as a self starter, planning your own day.
Cons
None really, It is what it is! a part time opertunity
Immoral bussiness practice
Ecommerce associate (Former Employee) –  Gorham, MEOctober 25, 2015
In the past few years, Goodwill has transitioned from thrift shop to a big time ebay seller. They made this transition without informing the public and relying on their past presence to acquire goods. Most people don't know that any item thought to be worth at least 15 USD, is shipped out of the store it was given to and is placed on ebay after appraisal, to the highest bidder. They make massive profits and do not pay nearly as well as they should.
Pros
you can accrue time off
Cons
poor culture of people and bad pay compared to profits
Fun workplace with good benefits for entry level-skilled workers
Sales Associate II (Former Employee) –  Concord, NHOctober 21, 2015
This job had great benefits for people facing barriers to marketplace employment. I earned $9.15 per hour to participate in an assortment of duties that often changed daily. The most enjoyable part of this job was making customers feel happy and well-serviced. This job challenged me mentally and physically.
Pros
Employee discount, variety of duties
Cons
Lack of discipline, favoritism in management
great stuff
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  South Portland, MaineOctober 14, 2015
It was a joy working with my co-workers and discovering the neat things that are donated. There was a great environment and a desire to succeed.
In recent years there have been some changes in upper management which has caused a shift in the business climate in the retail division.
Pros
Great healthcare benifits for full timers!
Cons
Not a lot of opportunity to move up from the retail division.
Was sometimes a fun place and sometimes a stressful place to work
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  South Portland, MaineOctober 3, 2015
The job has a good variety of duties and things to keep you interested daily. The management can sometimes be difficult with expectations of the employees, especially during busy times of the year. The customers were interesting and working for a non profit was a good feeling.
Pros
30%discount
Cons
very hard work, physically and mentally
Encourages growth from within
Controller (Current Employee) –  Gorham MaineSeptember 29, 2015
Goodwill Industries of Northern New England is a company that encourages growth from within. They believe in investing in their employees and mentoring them to grow, knowing that may mean good employees may outgrow their growth potential. They firmly believe in helping individuals become self sustainable and engaged in their community.
Pros
Continue to put employees first
Cons
As a non-profit agency, there is always a tough financial balance
Productive with very little fun allowed
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Belfast, MEAugust 17, 2015
The hardest part of the job is being understaffed for so long or having enough people and then having people leave. Another hard part is how little they give raises. A typical day at work I lift a lot of sort through a bunch of stuff. I've learned about many different items and I've learned to have more patience then when I started. My co-workers feed off of my positive, silly, but productive attitude. The most enjoyable part of my job is when people notice my work, unfortunately this doesn't happen a lot at this job.
Pros
store discount
Cons
group raises instead of individual and only $1.37 worth of raises within almost 4 years of service
Fun workplace
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Seabrook, NHAugust 12, 2015
Good coworkers. It's a lively work place that I enthusiastically often volunteer to participate in.

I have volunteered to cover gaps in shift coverage and taken initiative to accomplish needed tasks on my own and without direction.
Pros
Pleasant route to work.
Cons
I have higher aspirations.
Stay away from this store at ALL costs
Sales Associate II (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHAugust 1, 2015
The job is fairly easy. Take donations, sort them, price them, put them on the sales floor. However, the management there is awful. This place can not keep employees. Human resources is a joke.

I tried to report harassment to the store manager, nothing was done. I then contacted HR and they told me that it wasn't harassment and that the store manager had told them I had not reported anything. Human resources never even looked in to my claims about what was making me uncomfortable in the workplace and took my manager's word for everything, even though it was her butt on the line, not mine, and she had a reason to be lying.

The starting wage may look good to you, but it's not worth the drama. Lazy employees are not punished, while hardworkers are being pushed right out the door. Seems as though this place is purposely being run in to the ground.

Current management is refusing to promote within, no matter how much experience you have or the amount of work you do.

If you like the starting wage, do yourself a favor and apply to the Hooksett store or another one in the area, as the Manchester store is falling apart.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Management, work environment, scheduling, no room to advance, HR is no help
Great place to work. Something different everyday.
Sen. Dir. of Community Supports/Case Management (Former Employee) –  Portland, MaineJuly 28, 2015
My 25 years at Goodwill was rewarding and very fulfilling. Goodwill grew tremendously over those 25 years expanding their services to serve people from various backgrounds and cultures. The work environment enriched my life and I am fortunate to have had such a great work experience. Management was supportive and my coworkers utilized best practice methods to bring about success for our customers.
Pros
Energetic team, proactive rather than reactive, worked with wonderful caring people who were passionate about their work.
Cons
Long hours, much travel time

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Goodwill Industries of Northern New England. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8