Goodwill Industries Employee Reviews

Found 7,613 reviews matching the search
it is productive but not fun
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Trinity, NCJanuary 22, 2017
No it was not a fun place to work, It was hard work which is fine, but they take advantage of people who work hard and let people who could care less about their job get away with murder. People calling off several times a week, and asking ppl who have been working an 8 hour shift to start to cover all the time and if you said no they would guilt you into staying. Management there is terrible, Some weeks you would work 12 straight days in a row without a day off
Full of lies
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 31, 2017
I've worked here for a while. Now while they do serve the community and help people get jobs, it is funded by the stores. They push those poor people to the limit. The stores is terrible, the customers treat a thrift store like its a department store. The management is very backwards. They say the company champions integrity, but only the integrity they want to hear. They also have a huge problem with favoritism. Now they do have great benefits as a whole but deny women a maternity leave. Theres also a lot of back stabbing, you can't go to anyone for help without them telling everyone in the building about it.
Pros
Breaks are given faithfully
Cons
Bulllying, favoritism, dishonesty, drama
Stay Away
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Norton Shores, MIFebruary 6, 2017
I wouldn't make my worst enemy work for this company. The job itself was fine, fun, and exciting to see what kind of nifty donations we'd get in... But management is on a tier all their own of terrible. They're cutthroat, vindictive, and only care about themselves. Advancing in this company is unheard of. They're all a little club their own that you're not allowed in. Pay is garbage. Expect to make minimum wage with minimum hours, and be screwed out of your raise as they don't compensate for minimum wage going up. It's an allowance for high school kids.
Pros
20% discount in store
Cons
Nightmare managment, low pay with no advancement
It wasn't a bad place to work but how they treat people could be better.
Lead - Retail Store Worker (Former Employee) –  Zanesville, OHFebruary 16, 2017
I loved working there and loved what I did. I loved everyone I worked with and loved the customers. It wasn't a bad place just a lot of drama and how they treated people could've been better. I learned how to do a lot though. I ran the register, i hung clothes, worked the warehouse, did cash reports, cash deposits, i ran the store everyday, and made sure that everyone was doing what they was suppose to be doing.
Pros
The employees with worked with and the customers
Cons
How they treated people
Productive workplace that will work with needs.
Ecommerce Associate (Current Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 13, 2017
E-commerce is pretty easy. You're basically given a task, trained how to do it and work to that task. It tends to be an independent work environment. While you do rely on each other to complete one task to do your task, everyone just does their stuff and works on. Management is in a bit of a rocky place right now. Recently one of the managers was laid off and the assistant manager has taken over his duties. The people would have to be the most enjoyable part of the job. Everyone has some sort of character to bring to the table.
It had potential
Back Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Arlington Heights, ILFebruary 16, 2017
I wish I could say better things about the store I worked at, but I think the company as a whole has very good intentions. If you are a high school student looking for some simple work, then this is the place for you. If you are trying to support yourself then look elsewhere, because the hourly wage you get is barely enough to cover food and even some smaller bills like a car payment. The management team I unfortunately had an encounter with was selfish and put almost everyone down that they talked to. No one really did anything "well" for out managers, and forbid if you didn't feel well! You heard about your poor performance every hour of every day.
Productive, organized, and well working experience
Goodwill Store Volunteer (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTFebruary 23, 2017
The experience I shared volunteering at the goodwill was beneficial to a job that I'll get in the future. A typical day working at the goodwill was organizing clothes in the back, hanging clothes up, cleaning the isles, and working behind the cash register. The management was well. Everyone that worked at the goodwill was very helpful and understanding. My hardest part of the day working at the goodwill never getting a break and having to stand all day. I was able to manage to be a hard worker and not give up on my job. The most enjoyable part of the day volunteering at the goodwill was seeing how happy the customers were.
Lots of work but it can be fun
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Imlay City, MIJanuary 31, 2017
Cooperate sucks and doesn't really pay attention or take care if its employees. However managment was awsome. She made sure she gave everyone their requested days off, always had something to do. Everyday was fun. Definitely loved who I worked with. Pay wasnt that great, when min wage went up assistant management wages stayed where they were. Besides for that you get benefits and vacation hours which was nice. If they wouldve given out raises and such like promised I wouldve stayed since i loved my crew so much
Pros
Good manager, vacation hours, days off
Cons
No bonuses or raises, stressful work, cooperate
Good company with terrible senior retail management
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 5, 2017
Terrible senior management

Their management team in the retail side of the organization is terrible.

The job is good, benefits are good, pay is below average, but it's acceptable. The workplace culture is good, hardest part of job is believing that the senior management is still employed there. The most enjoyable part is interaction with the company's great customers.
Pros
Company culture
Cons
Retail senior management running it into the ground
Very poor experience
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Laramie, WYFebruary 5, 2017
Very low wages that are impossible to live on with very little opportunity for full time positions. No sick leave, no paid time off, no vacation time accrued, and if an employee wishes to hold a second job, he/she must fill out a form for a approval from their manager. Management was poor and very unprofessional. Retaliation with personal agendas were often seen especially in the higher management.
Pros
A lot of free time away from work
Cons
Poor wages, poor management, poor working conditions, poor staff demeanor
Production. The worst place I have ever worked.
Clothing Processor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 12, 2017
I worked at goodwill in Phoenix. In clothing production. This was the worst job I have ever worked. They could not keep people. Management yelled at us daily. They made some employees cry. They say that they care about their people not with my experience. They treat people so badly I will not donate their and I tell every one I know not to donate and not to support their. There are many other very deserving places to support. That actually treat people the way they advertise. Stay away!!!
Pros
Cons
Every thing about them is a lie.
Good entry level work with moderate benefits
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Oberlin, OHFebruary 4, 2017
Started this job right out of high school as a retail sales associate and was given a great amount of opportunity to advance due to my hard work and dedication to the company. Within 5 months, I was promoted to Assistant Manager. The Goodwill Mission is a good one but as a non-profit company, raises are sparse and compensation is slightly below average. It would be a great entry level job for someone trying to get back into the work force or a young adult getting their first job.
Pros
gather good work experience, friendly environment, helping the community, full-time benefits
Cons
1/2 hour un-paid lunches, minimum wage, occasionally physically strenuous
High Volume Recruiter - Retail Operations Center
Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 2, 2017
Each day at the warehouse is unpredictable. I can leave on on a Friday with positions filled and come back on Monday needing 15 people ASAP. Many of the applicants are looking for second chances at getting a job. They come to Goodwill to be a part of a stable company. The CEO has an open door policy. Encourages people to come and talk with him. He wants each employee to have a good work experience and for them to know he cares about their success.
The hardest part of the job is to giving applicants the results of an unfavorable background. Putting people to work is the most enjoyable part of the job.
Great clothes at very reasonable prices.
ADC/Production (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAFebruary 17, 2017
Shopping here has its perks, but it has its flaws as well. We weren't perfect with our products, but we were an alternative for those who couldn't afford the standard retail prices for furniture and the like. We also got our fair share of...questionable things. It was definitely an enlightening experience to say the least.

Overall, everyone should seek out a Goodwill store. Don't pay hundreds of dollars for a tacky dress when you can pay only $13 for one.
Pros
Good prices, great flow of merchandise on weekends, unique items
Cons
Slow days can be counterproductive, low sales mean the higher ups could pay a visit...
an ok place to work
Data Entry/Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  San Francisco Bay Area, CAJanuary 25, 2017
Only bad thing I can say about this place is I believe the last ceo stole money and moved the location very quickly without proper inspection of building to cover up what she stole. Was a learning experience working at goodwill but wouldn't recommend if you don't have self control. They moved the building to south sf in june of 2016 building had no heating or air condition I'm glad I quit before the harsher weather hit because they still don't have it. Its only one bus that will take you to and from sf and it runs every half hour. Overrall they were understanding when it came to attendance I feel like that's one pro
Relaxed atmosphere, but much confusion and no set directions
Sales Floor Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Fridley, MNJanuary 26, 2017
Being a sales floor supervisor at Goodwill is not hard, but we do not receive much if any help from our district manager or other superiors when we are in need. A culture has been created where the DM will come in and tell us everything we've been doing wrong for years without helping us find solutions, which makes the supervisors and managers look incompetent and then the employees trust and moral vanish.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Lack of training
Great consept
NW Texas, Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXJanuary 26, 2017
I was an assistant manager at Goodwill of West Texas. I had a hard time with this job because my manager was not very nice to me but I worked through it for almost a year. I got to work with all age groups and this was fun yet difficult at the same time because I was a young assistant manager.I learned how to be a good leader and how to manage people of all age groups. I was responsible for making deposits and closing up the store for the day and I was left alone on Sundays to manage by myself.
Pros
mean manager
Cons
learned alot
Supportive Environment
Youth Specialist (Current Employee) –  Rocky Mount, VAJanuary 26, 2017
The supervisor is not a micro manager and allows you to do your job and trust that you will do it. Working with kids is always an adventure and it is something new each day. Schedule is extremely flexible and easy to work with. The hardest part of the job is making sure all the kids get their hours that they are required to get each week and balancing your schedule around theirs. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the kids and getting to know them on a personal level and developing relationships with them and your co-workers. I learned more from the kids than I ever thought I would.
Pros
Schedule flexibility, work environment and management
Cons
Pay
Great first work experience
Sales Associate Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Forest Lake, MNFebruary 1, 2017
I was a student worker at Goodwill as part of their Easter Seals program. It was an excellent choice due to the friendly co-workers, the reasonable and mental disability-friendly managers, and the right amount of activity on an average day that it doesn't get boring, nor does it overwhelm (except on holidays, but that's expected.) I helped in many miscellaneous jobs that helped me learn how to handle a job in the future.
Pros
Good job culture, friendly managers, fairly active storefront
CEO has gutted a once very good company
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LAFebruary 1, 2017
He along with the Hr team are trying to fool the Board of Directors into thinking they are doing a good job by not paying bills to make it look like they are turning a profit. But all they are doing is ruining the reputation of the company and the board. The warehouse leaks every where and the electrical panels have the breakers taped so they can't flip off and are very dangerous.
Pros
Were none, the CEO and Hr team have gutted what was formerly a good company
Cons
They are so far behind on bills that we couldn't get any service from our providers.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Goodwill Industries. Our community is ready to answer.