Goodwill Industries Employee Reviews

Found 7,073 reviews matching the search
Not a great place to work
TEAM LEAD (Former Employee) –  Murrysville, PA 15668November 29, 2016
A typical day at Goodwill in management consists of 14 - 15 hour shifts. When you are hired you are told that it is a spectacular non-profit company that helps the community in many ways. I have learned at my time there that it does not help the people of Westmoreland County, it only helps Allegheny County. For being a "non-profit" company it is all about the Corporate Level employees making the "big" money. They are constantly raising prices on used merchandise and implementing policies that do not benefit the employees or the customers. Employees do not stay long at this company.

The hardest part of this job is the long hours and no support from the District Managers or from the Corporate Office. The most enjoyable part of the job there is the great group of people who work there.
Pros
great co-workers, 20% discount
Cons
Long hours, no support from the Corporate Management, terrible benefits
Hard and fast paced. Good benefits, Opprotunity for advancement
Warehouse/Chashier (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 30, 2016
A typical day at Goodwill would be hard and fast paced. I worked at a outlet store in the warehouse. It was very hot in the summer. You worked very hard and with little breaks. You often worked with co-workers whom had very bad attitudes and bad work ethics. "Team" work was rare. If you did not pull your weight in work coworkers were very vocal about it. Management worked very hard as well. A lot of times right beside you to help you. I learned to be patient and use grace often. The most enjoyable part of my job was the diversity of my co-workers and customers.
Pros
Good Benefits, Great opportunity for advancement
Cons
Very physically demanding, Co-workers lack of teamwork
Fun but very low chance of advancement
Senior Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Wesley Chapel, FLSeptember 22, 2016
Customers are snobs and tend to trash the whole store.
No discounts and you have to wait 4 days to buy the item after it's been put out on the sales floor.
No way in advancing unless the person leaves or gets fired (very low chances for either to happen)
The hard workers are left to deal with the lazy ones which causes more work on them.
Management is not too fair on promotions or raises.
As a senior you're pretty much an assistant manager but without the paperwork.
Can get in trouble for the stupidest little things.
Pros
2 breaks and 30min lunch, Good benefits, Great place as long as everyone works hard.
Cons
Management is unfair, overworking as a senior since the assistant managers tend to leave all the work for you.
Great benefits and perks but very physically demanding
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg VirginiaNovember 12, 2016
Goodwill has great benefits and growth potential with many opportunities for advancement. If you are going to work their you need to be in very good physical condition if you are 40 or older and work with donations. You will wear many hats and do the work of three at times. Other coworkers have a very bad habit of being lackadaisical and leaving their work for others to do. Great benefits and management is wonderful to work with.
Pros
Health benefits and perks
Cons
Low pay, yearly raises with very little compensation, very physically demanding
Team oriented and Fun
Materials Processor (Current Employee) –  Walker, MIAugust 5, 2016
Goodwill is a teamwork based workplace with helpful and experienced managers. A typical work day consists of anything from pricing clothing, assisting customers, cleaning the store, or taking donations. From this experience I have learned valuable customer service skills and how to work in a factory like setting. The management is knowledgeable and hold meetings once a month to keep staff informed. Co-workers are more like a team who work together well and support one another. The hardest aspect of this job is the stress of keeping the store clean on a busy evening, but as a team it is always done quickly and efficiently. The most enjoyable aspect of working for goodwill is the atmosphere of the company, and the knowledge that what we do helps others continuously.
Pros
paid time off, pizza parties
Cons
minimal raises
stressful work environment, no family life balance
Store manager (Former Employee) –  Baxley, GANovember 16, 2016
open/close store, payroll, staff schedule, cashier, email correspondence, interviewing, hiring new employees, customer service, drive sales. Motivate and train employees.

Upper management had no clue which direction they were taking the company...this was almost daily .

Most enjoyable part was advancement opportunities for those who work hard.

Hardest part was upper management was so disorganized.
Pros
advancement opportunities
Cons
upper management not respectful to employees, disorganized upper management
It is a great place to work knowing we're giving back to the community.
RETAIL LEAD (Current Employee) –  Gallup, NMJuly 12, 2016
It is a pretty fast paced work environment. Can get messy at times and pretty hectic but with the right employees ready to work it can be a very satisfying productive day! I learned so much being behind the scenes learning management skills and how much this company is giving back to our veterans and being able to work along side a couple of veterans has been an awesome experience. The money being raised through our donations made me realize this is what gave me a job. I went and applied for jobs using the career center. It's been a rough life for me and the moment I started working with Goodwill and the family it gave me a second chance at living life right.
Pros
Health insurance Paid Time Off Floating Holidays
Cons
Non-profit Organization so need to be able to work with what is given and be ready to get dirty.
Family oriented workplace
Job coach - Coached individuals (Current Employee) –  Denton, TXOctober 10, 2016
Goodwill is an amazing company to work for. It is a non profit organization therefore the new Federal mandate does not allow for adequate compensation. The hours are long, the pay is little and the time away from my family is too much. The company while amazing to work for the turn over rate is high due to lack of funding. Leaving current employees to take on the work of 3, 4 or even 5 people without performance raises.
Pros
Amazing people to work with
Cons
long hours, little pay
Rewarding experience with few advancement opportunities
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Pasco, WAJune 27, 2016
Goodwill is a very rewarding company to work for. As an Assistant Manager, I had the pleasure to work with and train several associates who were disabled and help them build the skills and experience necessary to gain full-time employment.

The two biggest issues I've seen company wide are compensation and the work environment. Goodwill is a non-profit, so pay is low and because the products they sell are relatively inexpensive they push associates to produce large amounts of volume. Associates are expected to produce X products per hour. Those goals are often difficult to meet and frustrating for some associates.

Because the pay is low, and each Goodwill company operates within their own defined regions, upper-level management positions are difficult to come by. It is normal to see high turn-over of Mid-Level management as they seek better pay and advancement opportunities.
Pros
Work-life balance, tuition reimbursement, rewarding to help others
Cons
Few advancement opportunities in higher positions, low pay
Goodwill Industries is a fun place to work, and I love the fact that they hire and train people with disabilities.
Machinist and Forklift Driver (Former Employee) –  Lufkin, TXAugust 5, 2016
Goodwill Industries was a good place to work, and provided me an opportunity to earl a living until I went off to welding school. Goodwill industries does a good job of hiring people with disabilities, which enables them to be a part of the community in a functioning capacity. On a typical day at work you get to work with people who care about others, and it shows when interaction with each other, as well as with the customers who visit the stores. Management is easy to work for, and shows concern and compassion for the workers, and will do everything that they can to make sure that you have a good day at work each day. The co-workers were good people, and will to work hard each day. The hardest part of the day was seeing so many needy people come into the stores and not have the funds; therefore, a lot of them were looking for handouts just to help them in their needs. The most enjoyable part was being able to assist those in need.
Pros
Friendly Environment
Cons
Lack of benefits
It can be like family.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Salisbury, NCSeptember 12, 2016
The not knowing from one day to the next what the work load will be can be fun and challenging at the same time. In store you grow close and care for one another then you have the in-laws that come in (executives) that frown upon the family culture. The benefits are great and learning opportunities are like none I have ever seen from a company. It is about your people build them up and accept diversity.
Pros
PTO and bonus insentives
Cons
micromanagement instead of co-management
On behalf of the Working Class
Attendant Donation Center Regional Trainer (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVJune 18, 2016
Sometimes a job is worth the time and effort you put into it, and sometimes it is not. This would be an example of one of those latter times. While there are many great people working for this company, including some in management (and beyond!), this company simply does NOT appreciate their employees. Minimum wage earnings with salaried performance expectations is a recipe for disaster, hence this company's revolving door of employees at all levels. When you get your product for FREE from the public (because you have cleverly convinced them it is for a charitable cause), there should be absolutely no reason to pay people less than what they, and, quite frankly, the positions themselves, are worth.
Pros
10% discount on merchandise that has been on the sales floor for at least a week
Cons
Unaffordable Health Insurance, No Incentive Pay/Raises/Bonuses, General Lack of Empathy from Most
Amazing place to work!
PRODUCTION CLERK (Former Employee) –  Bettendorf, IADecember 9, 2016
Provided paid training including gas reimbursement (training facility was located about 40 miles from my home). Full-time position with very affordable benefits. Management awesome and approachable. Coworkers and environment fun while getting the work done. Clean, nice place to work. Opportunity for raise after 90 days.
Pros
Raise after 90 days, approachable management, inexpensive benefits
Productive, fun, busy environment.
Processor (Current Employee) –  Woodland, CASeptember 20, 2016
Although I enjoy my place of employment, interacting with customers and staying knowledgeable about pricing and merchandise, I like a challenge. I've learned that our customers love a bargain and will purchase just about anything if the price is right. Management is very flexible and pushes us to meet our company goals each day. My coworkers are a joy, they are open for suggestions and truly care about our store. Working for Goodwill has taught me to be patient; working with developmentally disabled adults is challenging and a lot of fun. It has been a great learning experience and I enjoy helping our customers and smiling with them.
Pros
Enjoy working with fun people, fast paced environment, I like helping customers.
Cons
No chance for advancement, high turnover rate, no fulltime positions, work schedule varies week to week.
Want to feel undervalued?
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INAugust 22, 2016
This was the worst job I have ever had. When I started working at Goodwill I thought they were an amazing company. I thought they were trying to make a difference in the world. I was sadly mistaken. I won't go into detail, you can look up how much they actually donate on your own.
The only positive thing I can say about them is they will hire anyone. If you NEED a job and apply at Goodwill, chances are you will get the job. You won't make enough to support yourself in any way. The raises are a joke. You can work as hard as humanly possible and you will still be treated the same way as someone who has a poor work ethic. Exceed their expectations and they will set a higher goal for you.
I understand everyone is there to work but you shouldn't be felt like you are going to be reprimanded for making small talk with someone you spend 30+ hours a week with. The work environment is not pleasant.
Janitorial dept. Wilmington, DE
Construction clean up (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEJuly 9, 2016
I worked with Goodwill for almost 3 years, I learned a lot and I worked steady. I was told by management that there would be advancement, well there wasn't, not for any employees, some of us worked very hard. I was heart broken, they hired inexperienced people right out of prison, which is ok but they never praise you or appreciate you or give you a raise, I worked for $9, for 2 years, I recently left and started with another company making $1.50 more ph.. but I loved everyone I worked with an I miss them dearly, although most of them left
Easy work if you're a decent worker
Pt3/line lead (Former Employee) –  Sturtevant, WINovember 16, 2016
The plant I worked in had it's own temp agency. Background checks and everything else to get into the job seemed a little sketchy. My supervisor had told me the plant was for those who wanted/needed a second chance. Didn't seem like too many people cared to keep their job but management was expected to produce numbers. Kind of a difficult thing to do when people think they should get paid to just stand around and talk all day. Benefits didn't get offered to everyone because they were only temps. Few people were hired into the company to keep it this way.
Goodwill is an excellent company
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 24, 2016
My typical workday began about 8 or 9am..i would begin putting out racks of clothing, and bins of merchandise...I would alternate this duty with cleaning dressing rooms...dusting and straightening shelves..bailing clothing in the back..and cleaning restrooms. I learned order and organization and how to stock merchandise...Management team was awesome..I worked with a lot of people who had a variety of disabilities..they were really amazing...the hardest part of my job had to be cleaning the fitting room...the most enjoyable part of my job was the people I worked with
Pros
Rewards of doing good job
Cons
no benefits
Overall great job working with clients
Specialist (Former Employee) –  Radford, VASeptember 26, 2016
Goodwill focuses mainly on quantity of work over quality of work. Managers need to be trained on how to work hand in hand with their employees to have a better outcome. Quality of services outweighs quantity especially when working with disabled and mentally ill clients.
Pros
Pay, benefits
Cons
lack of management training, culture, quantity over quality
Job Security with no potential for promotion.
HVAC Technician (Current Employee) –  Ft Sm Houston, TXSeptember 26, 2016
Load up Truck with Materials needed for each building. Obtain Schedule from Supervisor. Drive out to destination to complete required task.

I've learned how to replace A/C filters correctly, but I'm still learning the locations of each building and also the location of all the Air Handling Units.

Management is always there for Employee Support.

Co-workers are from different backgrounds. A multi-cultured working environment.

Not enough work to keep us busy throughout the day.

Most enjoyable part of this job is: Meeting Different People Everyday!
Pros
Meeting Different People.
Cons
Not Enough Work on a Daily Basis.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Goodwill Industries. Our community is ready to answer.