Goodwill Industries Employee Reviews

Found 7,337 reviews matching the search
Sometimes fun,could get a little hot in the section of the store where we were housed
E Commerce Lister (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJanuary 7, 2017
Atypical day at work was taking pictures of various inventory.

I learned a lot about things that collectors look for,what is a desired item or not,and how much people would pay for particular items

Management didn't always communicate with one another

Co- workers were not as helpful as I would have liked for them to be

Hardest part of job, was taking measurements on wedding gowns,that had a lot of material and veils, bustles,etc.
Pros
laid back atmosphere, no designated work uniform
Cons
not being able to purchase things in stores right away, employees had to wait 24hrs.
Team-oriented workplace.
Outreach Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 6, 2017
At Goodwill everyone is a team player. We all worked together to get the job done. They have a very clear mission that is inspiring. They go above and beyond to help their employees in any way that they can. They employ people with backgrounds that otherwise would be unemployable. They have an entire disability team that supports and motivates their employees. They believe in a better quality of life for these individuals. I thoroughly enjoyed employment with this company. Their mission and core values as a company are unmatched. It truly was an honor working with them.
Pros
Employee-focused company.
Cons
Not enough diversity.
Great company with variety of areas for development.
Job Coach (Former Employee) –  Long Island City, NYJanuary 6, 2017
One of my first full time positions and I was able to learn a lot and grow within the company. I do business a great majority of my professionalism and peoples skills are derived from my job coaching tenure at Goodwill Industries. You made you own schedule and worked out in the field with clients as well as families and other agencies involved in the clients day to day living. Many programs are offered and one of the few non profits I see with flexibility in terms of switching from one division to another.
Kind co-workers, poor management& poor treatment of employees
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYDecember 24, 2016
Came thinking I would be not just be working but helping a cause, but it seemed like they only helped themselves. Management was a mess they didn't seem to know what they were doing it was constant chaos. They didn't treat their workers very well so we constantly were short people off and on and the way they waited till the last minute to put out the schedules you couldn't ever plan to do anything. The pay was ok. But overall the experience was so bad it made me resent the organization.
Pros
Pay was ok, kind co workers
Cons
Almost everything else
Works to enhance the dignity and quality of life of individuals and families
Donation Station Assistant Manager/ Recycle Line (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJanuary 6, 2017
A typical day for myself was to go into the back receiving and take donations. People would drive up, and I would take the donations out of their vehicle, put them in a basket, and bring them inside. We would sort through the basket, and then that would go into another department. Knowing that I took part in making a change in someones life was the most enjoyable part.
Horrible staff
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ruskin, FLJanuary 8, 2017
You will be overworked and under paid. No over time pay..Goodwill in Ruskin FL has horrible senior cashiers. They will treat you badly if you're another female. They have been complained on so much but manager won't fire them because of lack of employees. You're not allowed to purchase anything unless it's 4 days old..you have to be to your lunch break and a supervisor will have to ring you up. Security is always there reviewing cameras. Lazy co workers who take advantage of you.
Pros
Its a job
The Basics
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLDecember 29, 2016
Typical day would include a briefing at the beginning of the shift. I would then perform drug tests on certain clients. I would perform room searches and security walks of the facility. Body searches of new inmates coming into the facility. Ensure all protocals and rules were met and followed by inmates daily along with other tasks as assigned. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the inmates to ensure that they didn't return after released.
Cons
Healthcare- Poor quality and Extremely overpriced for employees
Very intense working environment
Store Associate/Retail (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GA 30310December 26, 2016
Greet customers Help with their donations and also provide customer service with the attempts of purchasing items. I learned that many people donated more than I initially had imagined. In this job you have to adapt to establishing a progressive habit to stay on pace with daily work flow, but once you maintain that it's basically just like another day at the office. The customers that shopped at this store were unique so an employee has to enable a mind set to benefit them in utilizing their skill set
Fun and friendly place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Woodburn, ORDecember 31, 2016
The day starts out with clocking in, having a supervisor grab a till with you and leads you to the front of the store where the registers are located. You install the till and check the main cashier schedule. If it is not your main time up at the registers then you go to work on racks of clothing to put away; all the while looking for customers than need assistance with the fitting room and back-up at the registers when the line becomes long. When there are no racks to do, you pick up all the clothes that fell on the floor and keep your eye out for shoplifters.
Pros
Nice people to work with
Cons
Very busy job
Good workplace
Softliner (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJanuary 4, 2017
Sorting through items donated by others, to find items and sell. Maintaining a clean and updated sales floor for customers to find things easily. I learned how to quickly sort through items to determine if its sellable or not, I learned how to work quickly and multitask. The management was good and organized and the co-workers were polite and fast paced, but the difficult part was consistently putting out 68 pieces of clothing every 30 min, with tags and sizes.
Pros
Treats given when product numbers were high, management was relaxed
Cons
unrealistic numbers of clothing needed to be put out.
Regular and Loyal customers.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJanuary 16, 2017
A typical day is Always customer service. Processing clothes, cashiering, greetings. I have learned that "customer is king". Management was great most of the time. Co-workers were actually pretty cool. Teamwork!! The hardest part for me was not to cry when the elderly men and women came in and then they had to leave. It was such a pleasure assist them. I Love the elderly. My favorite part was helping everyone that came through the door.
Pros
Customers
Cons
Management needed to listen a little more.
Ability to help people who are not so fortunate
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Spanaway, WAJanuary 8, 2017
Goodwill was a good job. It didn't pay well but, it gave me the chance to work with people of all backgrounds. Not just ethnicity but, people with diverse stories to tell and a chance to listen diversely. With good customer service I have had people of all ages come and tell me that .they weren't even there to shop yet to talk to me for a little bit. This was really rewarding to and for me. I grew in character and personality while working there. I Would not change anything about the experience that I encountered there.
Pros
working directly with the public
Cons
not enough hours
very fast-paced and productive
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Maplewood, MNDecember 27, 2016
Main duties were to greet customers, and manage fitting rooms, which were difficult to at times due to the high volume of customers we would get each day. Many times there are special projects to do in a team of 3 or 4 people. Hardest part of the job is sometimes managing different tasks by yourself when staff is short, and most enjoyable were meeting many different customers who were regulars in the store.
Pros
great discounts
Cons
management
Great job, low hours
Retail Associate (Current Employee) –  Diamond Bar, CAJanuary 2, 2017
Management is very understanding, helpful, and will help you advance in the career if you show initiative and good work ethic. The employees and customers are for the most part very friendly and a pleasure to work with.

The biggest catch with this company is their disbursement of hours. A lot of times, my availability has been fully open to work 30+ hours, only to receive barely half that and told 'we simply don't have the hours to give.' It's only a great job to have as a second job, or if you live rent-free with family. It is not sustainable enough to live off on.
Pros
Friendly coworkers and management, flexible hours, fun work enviroment
Cons
Criminally low hours for part-time work
Just Run away from this company, they will violate all your rights,
Lead Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 5, 2017
I have seen manager verbally abuse their staff and customers, Things I have seen in this company is unheard of, they have no respect for employees or customers.the most unprofessional and rude individual work for this company, to top it off their pay is lousy and you will probably never get a raise.I know employees with bachelor degrees making minimum wage at this company. If you are a good person and value yourself and have dignity please find yourself a better company to work for.
Pros
25 percent discount
Cons
unprofessional, uneducated, rude, verbally abusive managers, uncaring -you will work in unsanitary conditions
Productive Staff
Dock Worker (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJanuary 5, 2017
Signs of a positive workplace almost always include employee appreciation. Employers demonstrate their appreciation for employee contributions in a number of ways, such as through compensation and benefits practices. Assuming the employer has the cash flow required to compensate employees competitively, designing a compensation structure that pays fair wages and a benefits package with health coverage and income protection is a fine way to demonstrate employer appreciation. Providing health coverage and retirement savings programs are two ways to ensure employees’ well-bring for both the present and the future.
Pros
Great Staff
Cons
Not enough hours
Enjoyable Workplace
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Camby, INJanuary 12, 2017
Every day at Goodwill is a new day.Getting to see the "usuals" everyday is a joy and meeting new customers as well is very nice. The goodwill team is just like family. Whenever there is a problem, it always gets handled in a mature positive way. Everyone gets along with everyone and we all work together as a great team. Iv learned better communication skills and better customer services skills while working for goodwill. Working at goodwill is actually pretty fun.
Pros
Great coworkers and managers
Cons
short breaks
Was fun due to direct supervisor's attitude.
Donations (Former Employee) –  Iron Mountain, MIJanuary 13, 2017
Bad management at both local and regional levels made staying with this company difficult. Sales were falling continuously and changes to policies that customers found horrible. Store was resized several times due to lack of sales. Even though we were supposed to be a nonprofit company; we didn't do much for the community to give back. However; this is not reflective of all Goodwills. Just the Upper Peninsula and Marionette WI region stores. My supervisor was a great and delightful person to work under though.
Pros
Great supervisor.
Cons
Everything else
Not bad job
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CAJanuary 10, 2017
This was a good place too work for. Lots of work when you have to clean up the whole store, people leave things everywhere. Employees were fun to work with, very good and positive atmosphere. Management could be rude at times but not too bad. Not bad pay, only thing is I broke out in rash on ar,s touching everything since it is not washed or cleaned. That's when I ended my job there. Overall not bad place to work.
Pros
Atmosphere, employees
Cons
Breaking out in rashes
Management was a nightmare
Lead (Former Employee) –  Mount Airy, NCDecember 13, 2016
The manager was a bully and very innapropriate. He lies and directs you to lie to human resources. He primarily hires women and there was no male assistance when unloading heavy furniture. I personally seen him arrange schedules to force employees to resign. He lied about employees to human resources to get people fired. Customers were generally kind,but that doesn't compensate for the behavior of management. I felt threatened and ultimately quit my job.
Pros
Customers were generally sweet
Cons
Management is terrible

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Goodwill Industries. Our community is ready to answer.