Goodwill Industries Employee Reviews

Found 7,056 reviews matching the search
It can be a fun place to work sometimes
Donor Specialist (Former Employee) –  GeorgiaSeptember 24, 2016
The job itself is a great job and you have good benefits but the management is very poor and unprofessional.... in human resources are just as bad and unprofessional as the management.. they overwork you don't want to pay you and they break the rules when it's convenient for them only when it's convenient for you... but besides all of that again it's a great place to work as far as dealing with customers and you get to meet a lot of different people if you're a people person that job would definitely work for you just beware of management..
High turnover, contant new-hire credits!
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WISeptember 15, 2016
A typical day is fine, when you're not being treated as a suspect. The pay is fair, raises are not worthwhile. The hardest part of the job is tolerating management, I learned that they enjoy a high turn-over, they enjoy getting the perks for hiring new people for credits and creating obstacles to get out the previous bunch. The most enjoyable part is when you are leaving, the bad energy there just brings you down.
Pros
prompt 15 minute breaks
Cons
they interrupt your breaks
clearance outlet goodwill
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TX 78237September 6, 2016
customers (flea market vendors)are horrible, haggling you over a dollar, dirty store full of trash, you will get sick from all the dust and dirt, customers will come with blood on hands from getting cut with junk,I learned how cheap some people are. favoritism from management for employees and customers. hardest part was dealing with stress from customers and pricing everything yourself if it was a regular goodwill it would be ok but it was a clearance goodwill. leaving was the most enjoyable part
Pros
good coworkers
Cons
no benefits, not getting scheduled breaks
A rewarding, fun workplace experience, recommended for job training.
Donations Worker (Former Employee) –  Brunswick, GAAugust 27, 2016
Work consists of many tasks involving stock and donations, learning how to retire and put out new things was rewarding for me and how to manage them was also good. The co-workers were friendly and helpful, the workplace generates a kind of atmosphere not found anywhere else. Management is fair and somewhat consistent. The hardest part of the job required quite a bit of stamina, but the most enjoyable part of the job was always having a new task to perform.
I enjoy helping others
Employment Training Specialist/Job Coach (Current Employee) –  Oceanside, CAAugust 30, 2016
I offer support to individuals with developmental disabilities so that they may excel at their job tasks. I've learned that patience is very important, and that I must remain calm at all times. Every participant has a different personality so it is very important to know their history, so that I won't cross any boundaries. Co-workers must work as a team to complete hours of overseeing the participants. Communication is key, and as a job coach, it is my job to communicate with my supervisor, clients, and client's manager.
Management asks way to much out of there workers !
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Carol Stream, ILSeptember 12, 2016
Management is the WORST, they expect way to much out of there floor workers! You can be working alone your whole shifts on fitting rooms unlocking them plus cleaning up after people and working racks alone on a Sunday with 3 people producing. Most of the time management are just in the back office or hanging out with production. They will not respect seniority and pick by favorites. They only good think about the job is the people you meet. Is no room for advancement, they would rather have people off the streets running the store.
Pros
Good first job, easy to get days off
Cons
Low pay, stressful, strict policy
It's a great place to work
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Northwest, NCSeptember 17, 2016
I've been working at Goodwill for almost five years now. Throughout those five years I got my associates degree in Arts and an Associates in Criminal Justice Technology. A typical work day is usually busy and there's always something to do. I've learned about people, working with the public and making friends in the process. Management is great. My boss is a good man and he works hard for all he has. My co-workers are great. I love them all. They're kind of like my second family. The hardest part of the job is standing on concrete all day. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing customers and my second family.
Pros
Great people and a great environment
Cons
It's difficult to stand on concrete all day sometimes
Great atmosphere to work in break room areas make me smile.
Quality Auditor (Former Employee) –  Elk Grove, CASeptember 21, 2016
I was not there for long, and I was sad to go. Thing in my life took a new turn I hope I can return soon. I WAITED A LONGER TIME THEN USUAL to transfer from one location to another it worried me but I was soon discharged for personal reasons.
Pros
There is something new starting with the company I just signed up.It a outsourcing temp job idea.
Cons
I did not know how My job options were changing after signing up with goodwill's new idea.
Making sure Customers leave happy and satisfied
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 24, 2016
A typical work day would include me coming in, as a manager, checking our sales and productivity of the food preparation line. I also had to delegate many tasks as well as training each and every employee. Mainly our goal each day was to get the food out as quickly and efficiantly as possible. Ive learned how to be a motivational leader at this establishment. I loved each and every customer, co-worker, and members of management. The hardest part of this job would have to be unloading the truck on the busiest day which in this case would be Monday. I loved the whole making it a point to satisfy our customers.
Pros
Employee Outtings
Cons
no benefits
Stressful
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Battle Creek, MISeptember 11, 2016
My co-workers were the best I have ever had. Very easy to get along with. It took only one manager a couple of months of harassing me verbally and drastically reducing weekly hours on the schedule to make things difficult. The other two managers were highly supportive as well as worried about their own job prospects because of the top store manager. One of them had commented that working at that specific store was like a dictatorship.
Pros
Wonderful co-workers. Great customers.
Cons
Poor management. Very tense work environment.
Absolutely Horrible
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Kennesaw, GASeptember 6, 2016
Do not apply to work in the KENNESAW GOODWILL. It is absolutely Horrible. The managers have no communication skills. They forget that they were working on the floor before they got that position. Some of the managers don't even come out to help or assist the workers unless they absolutely have to. And that's a problem. And when they also come out they just look at us and go back to office. While we are struggling to get our own supplies to get done what we need to do. And if we don't get it done we are belittled. But do they help no. There is no teamwork. You have to have a team in order to play. Just don't go there.
Cons
Management. No team players and poorly trained
Never a dull moment at Goodwill!
Retail Lead (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CAAugust 31, 2016
A typical day at work was sorting thru donations, greeting all customers as they came in, helped to maintain the upkeep of the store, we were also our own security! I learned that if you work hard and prove yourself you can move your way up. I started out as a volunteer and worked my way up to Retail Lead! My co-workers were great! I made a lot of lasting friendships, which is why they were the most enjoyable part of the job. The hardest part of the job was the fluctuating schedule.
Pros
Cons
No security
Customers are very nice and co-workers are very friendly.
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  New Berlin, WISeptember 6, 2016
A typical day at work was often exhausting. Lifting boxes and furniture for hours at a time can be difficult, but I learned that with a team, things can flow more smoothly. The management was very friendly and hard working. They always had a smile on their face as well as the co-workers. The hardest part of the job was managing school and work at the same time. However, I did enjoy all of our wonderful customers.
Pros
The hourly wage rate
Cons
Exhausting shifts
Good place to work. They are flexible with my schedule to a certain extent. Enjoy working there.
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Lafayette, INSeptember 8, 2016
Locate product to ship to Shop Goodwill, write a list and type up list to send in to Shop Goodwill. Learned how to pick out antiques and vintage items and other items of value, Get along with Management, co-workers equally well. The hardest part of my job is finding enough product to qualify for my goals each work. Rummaging through the items to find those interesting items that will make money for Shop Goodwill.
Pros
Good work hours. Good money for the work being done.
Cons
Poor Health care benefits, breaks too short, travel is too far.
It can be like family.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Salisbury, NCSeptember 12, 2016
The not knowing from one day to the next what the work load will be can be fun and challenging at the same time. In store you grow close and care for one another then you have the in-laws that come in (executives) that frown upon the family culture. The benefits are great and learning opportunities are like none I have ever seen from a company. It is about your people build them up and accept diversity.
Pros
PTO and bonus insentives
Cons
micromanagement instead of co-management
Wonderful establishment under correct circumstances
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVSeptember 15, 2016
I loved my job at goodwill it was fun and not too demanding but due to management issues i was forced to resign. Employees in my store were treated unfairly and in bias judgment. I also understand that i made mistakes in my approach to solve these problems myself instead of letting the chain of command do its job. I know if given a second chance at the opportunities allowed to me i would show my growth and dedication towards what could be a lifetime career.
Pros
close knit comunity
Cons
Fraudulent managment
Dirty, but learned a lot
Processor (Former Employee) –  Back Room, Napoleon OHSeptember 20, 2016
Working at Goodwill Industries of Northwest Ohio was overall an interesting experience. I sorted through raw textile donations and hung clothes. I learned quite a bit about different fabrics and materials, what distinguishes real from fake (fir, silk, etc.), and time management. This job was very dirty but the environment was pleasant and the people were, as a whole, nice to work with.
Pros
learned a lot, opportunity to move up, some benefits
Cons
dirty, sometimes a lack of work in the winter, dangerous
Hectic
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Scappoose, ORSeptember 20, 2016
A typical day at work would have you working to make sure that the store looked nice, customers were finding everything okay and that the clothing was organized the way it was supposed to be. I learned that you cannot do it all and that management actually has a fun side. My co-workers were amazing and as hard working as I am. The hardest part of my job which is the hardest part of any ones job is when customers don't find what they are looking for and blame you. On the opposite side, when they do find the little gem that made their life better, it is the best feeling in the world.
Fun workplace, Great co-worksrs, Self Managed
Adc donor specialist (Current Employee) –  Clarkesville, GASeptember 23, 2016
A typical day consist of sweeping the floors in the morning, dusting, washing Windows, and keeping the workplace environment clean. My job is to attend to donors that pull up and help unload their car and thank them for supporting goodwills mission and invite them to come see us again. After the donations are taken we sort them by what the item is. I've learned great customer service skills, and how to keep an organized work station. Management is great here any problems we have or any time off is addressed in a professional and friendly manner.
Pros
Self Managed
Cons
Short lunch break
Great Business, Obsessive Managment
Production Associate (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORSeptember 25, 2016
Goodwill is a good place to work. They offer wonderful benefits and ensure that their workers aren't overworked. Ensuring a good gap between breaks and lunch, but not making it so long that it's draining. However, it seems to me that anyone working at Goodwill without a strong, obvious disability is expected to produce more than necessary and if only seen as useful if they can meet the tinyest scrutiny of their management and if you can't meet those expectations, then you are let go.