Goodwill Industries Employee Reviews

Found 7,073 reviews matching the search
Not a great place to work
TEAM LEAD (Former Employee) –  Murrysville, PA 15668November 29, 2016
A typical day at Goodwill in management consists of 14 - 15 hour shifts. When you are hired you are told that it is a spectacular non-profit company that helps the community in many ways. I have learned at my time there that it does not help the people of Westmoreland County, it only helps Allegheny County. For being a "non-profit" company it is all about the Corporate Level employees making the "big" money. They are constantly raising prices on used merchandise and implementing policies that do not benefit the employees or the customers. Employees do not stay long at this company.

The hardest part of this job is the long hours and no support from the District Managers or from the Corporate Office. The most enjoyable part of the job there is the great group of people who work there.
Pros
great co-workers, 20% discount
Cons
Long hours, no support from the Corporate Management, terrible benefits
Hard and fast paced. Good benefits, Opprotunity for advancement
Warehouse/Chashier (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 30, 2016
A typical day at Goodwill would be hard and fast paced. I worked at a outlet store in the warehouse. It was very hot in the summer. You worked very hard and with little breaks. You often worked with co-workers whom had very bad attitudes and bad work ethics. "Team" work was rare. If you did not pull your weight in work coworkers were very vocal about it. Management worked very hard as well. A lot of times right beside you to help you. I learned to be patient and use grace often. The most enjoyable part of my job was the diversity of my co-workers and customers.
Pros
Good Benefits, Great opportunity for advancement
Cons
Very physically demanding, Co-workers lack of teamwork
Fun but very low chance of advancement
Senior Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Wesley Chapel, FLSeptember 22, 2016
Customers are snobs and tend to trash the whole store.
No discounts and you have to wait 4 days to buy the item after it's been put out on the sales floor.
No way in advancing unless the person leaves or gets fired (very low chances for either to happen)
The hard workers are left to deal with the lazy ones which causes more work on them.
Management is not too fair on promotions or raises.
As a senior you're pretty much an assistant manager but without the paperwork.
Can get in trouble for the stupidest little things.
Pros
2 breaks and 30min lunch, Good benefits, Great place as long as everyone works hard.
Cons
Management is unfair, overworking as a senior since the assistant managers tend to leave all the work for you.
Great benefits and perks but very physically demanding
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg VirginiaNovember 12, 2016
Goodwill has great benefits and growth potential with many opportunities for advancement. If you are going to work their you need to be in very good physical condition if you are 40 or older and work with donations. You will wear many hats and do the work of three at times. Other coworkers have a very bad habit of being lackadaisical and leaving their work for others to do. Great benefits and management is wonderful to work with.
Pros
Health benefits and perks
Cons
Low pay, yearly raises with very little compensation, very physically demanding
Team oriented and Fun
Materials Processor (Current Employee) –  Walker, MIAugust 5, 2016
Goodwill is a teamwork based workplace with helpful and experienced managers. A typical work day consists of anything from pricing clothing, assisting customers, cleaning the store, or taking donations. From this experience I have learned valuable customer service skills and how to work in a factory like setting. The management is knowledgeable and hold meetings once a month to keep staff informed. Co-workers are more like a team who work together well and support one another. The hardest aspect of this job is the stress of keeping the store clean on a busy evening, but as a team it is always done quickly and efficiently. The most enjoyable aspect of working for goodwill is the atmosphere of the company, and the knowledge that what we do helps others continuously.
Pros
paid time off, pizza parties
Cons
minimal raises
Want to feel undervalued?
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INAugust 22, 2016
This was the worst job I have ever had. When I started working at Goodwill I thought they were an amazing company. I thought they were trying to make a difference in the world. I was sadly mistaken. I won't go into detail, you can look up how much they actually donate on your own.
The only positive thing I can say about them is they will hire anyone. If you NEED a job and apply at Goodwill, chances are you will get the job. You won't make enough to support yourself in any way. The raises are a joke. You can work as hard as humanly possible and you will still be treated the same way as someone who has a poor work ethic. Exceed their expectations and they will set a higher goal for you.
I understand everyone is there to work but you shouldn't be felt like you are going to be reprimanded for making small talk with someone you spend 30+ hours a week with. The work environment is not pleasant.
Pros
Goodwill is an excellent company
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 24, 2016
My typical workday began about 8 or 9am..i would begin putting out racks of clothing, and bins of merchandise...I would alternate this duty with cleaning dressing rooms...dusting and straightening shelves..bailing clothing in the back..and cleaning restrooms. I learned order and organization and how to stock merchandise...Management team was awesome..I worked with a lot of people who had a variety of disabilities..they were really amazing...the hardest part of my job had to be cleaning the fitting room...the most enjoyable part of my job was the people I worked with
Pros
Rewards of doing good job
Cons
no benefits
It is a great place to work knowing we're giving back to the community.
RETAIL LEAD (Current Employee) –  Gallup, NMJuly 12, 2016
It is a pretty fast paced work environment. Can get messy at times and pretty hectic but with the right employees ready to work it can be a very satisfying productive day! I learned so much being behind the scenes learning management skills and how much this company is giving back to our veterans and being able to work along side a couple of veterans has been an awesome experience. The money being raised through our donations made me realize this is what gave me a job. I went and applied for jobs using the career center. It's been a rough life for me and the moment I started working with Goodwill and the family it gave me a second chance at living life right.
Pros
Health insurance Paid Time Off Floating Holidays
Cons
Non-profit Organization so need to be able to work with what is given and be ready to get dirty.
Easy work if you're a decent worker
Pt3/line lead (Former Employee) –  Sturtevant, WINovember 16, 2016
The plant I worked in had it's own temp agency. Background checks and everything else to get into the job seemed a little sketchy. My supervisor had told me the plant was for those who wanted/needed a second chance. Didn't seem like too many people cared to keep their job but management was expected to produce numbers. Kind of a difficult thing to do when people think they should get paid to just stand around and talk all day. Benefits didn't get offered to everyone because they were only temps. Few people were hired into the company to keep it this way.
Family oriented workplace
Job coach - Coached individuals (Current Employee) –  Denton, TXOctober 10, 2016
Goodwill is an amazing company to work for. It is a non profit organization therefore the new Federal mandate does not allow for adequate compensation. The hours are long, the pay is little and the time away from my family is too much. The company while amazing to work for the turn over rate is high due to lack of funding. Leaving current employees to take on the work of 3, 4 or even 5 people without performance raises.
Pros
Amazing people to work with
Cons
long hours, little pay
Making sure Customers leave happy and satisfied
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 24, 2016
A typical work day would include me coming in, as a manager, checking our sales and productivity of the food preparation line. I also had to delegate many tasks as well as training each and every employee. Mainly our goal each day was to get the food out as quickly and efficiantly as possible. Ive learned how to be a motivational leader at this establishment. I loved each and every customer, co-worker, and members of management. The hardest part of this job would have to be unloading the truck on the busiest day which in this case would be Monday. I loved the whole making it a point to satisfy our customers.
Pros
Employee Outtings
Cons
no benefits
Good job at first and then things changed
Job Coach (Former Employee) –  Madison WIOctober 11, 2016
I loved the job when I started-it was a fun place to work and we were able to use our own judgement and make decisions within our team. We would typically travel all over town to different job sites and I liked the variety and really enjoyed working with my clients. I learned a lot about autisim and how to handle difficult situations. Eventually things changed, I am guessing because of directives from above. Goodwill "lost it's heart' as a coworker said. Instead of being respected for our abilities we lost some of the responsibilities we had and many of us no longer felt trusted or respected. I feel the management cared for the clients but not the job coaches. The co-workers were mostly great, on my team. The hardest part of the job was when someone would refuse to do something like go to work or do a certain part of their job; this could be very stressful but it was part of the job. What I liked best was the people, working with different kinds of people
Pros
Variety, great people, learning about different disabilities.
Cons
No breaks, too much driving, low pay, expensive benefits.
Good place to work. They are flexible with my schedule to a certain extent. Enjoy working there.
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Lafayette, INSeptember 8, 2016
Locate product to ship to Shop Goodwill, write a list and type up list to send in to Shop Goodwill. Learned how to pick out antiques and vintage items and other items of value, Get along with Management, co-workers equally well. The hardest part of my job is finding enough product to qualify for my goals each work. Rummaging through the items to find those interesting items that will make money for Shop Goodwill.
Pros
Good work hours. Good money for the work being done.
Cons
Poor Health care benefits, breaks too short, travel is too far.
Goodwill is a nice starter job for first time job seekers and part time job for college students.
Processor (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 8, 2016
A typical day at work at Goodwill consisted of sorting and processing through good clothes and bad clothes, sell-able housewares and garbage housewares, and meeting the quota for clothes or housewares processed per hour. Sometimes we would clean up messes out on the sales floor if our maintenance guy was too busy or on break. We would clean the store at night and straighten everything back out, and make sure it was nice and ready for the next day. We would work the back door, and take donations sometimes as well. We did a lot of laboring work, but I personally enjoyed it. It's a pretty easy job if you are looking to get a work out, and get some insight into the retail industry.
Pros
We were offered benefits, and were rewarded for our hard work.
Cons
Some of the clothes we had to process were absolutely disgusting.
Unfair employee treatment, fast pace, no extra hours
Textile Worker (Former Employee) –  South texasDecember 2, 2016
I worked at goodwill in south texas. There was employees who never do anything and they never got fired or written up and the hard working employees were told by crew leaders to finish up the work for them ( there was no manager) . Also you couldn't get extra hours, and they only give a .08 cent raise if you work there for a year. They would want us to work at a very fast pace just to finish a quota that was impossible to make just so they would get a bonus on their paycheck.
Cons
No hours, unfair treatment
Goodwill Industries is a fun place to work, and I love the fact that they hire and train people with disabilities.
Machinist and Forklift Driver (Former Employee) –  Lufkin, TXAugust 5, 2016
Goodwill Industries was a good place to work, and provided me an opportunity to earl a living until I went off to welding school. Goodwill industries does a good job of hiring people with disabilities, which enables them to be a part of the community in a functioning capacity. On a typical day at work you get to work with people who care about others, and it shows when interaction with each other, as well as with the customers who visit the stores. Management is easy to work for, and shows concern and compassion for the workers, and will do everything that they can to make sure that you have a good day at work each day. The co-workers were good people, and will to work hard each day. The hardest part of the day was seeing so many needy people come into the stores and not have the funds; therefore, a lot of them were looking for handouts just to help them in their needs. The most enjoyable part was being able to assist those in need.
Pros
Friendly Environment
Cons
Lack of benefits
Interesting , not dull
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAOctober 21, 2016
This place is very interesting. The days are always different. Never boring. Some days were really hard others were average. It was fun to see all the neat items that came in. Some of the workers were awesome some were drama queens. Always trying to get someone in trouble. Goodwill could keep good employees if they would weed out the bad ones.The place loses good employees all the time. They get tired of drama. Their employee turn around is really bad. They do not keep anyone long at all. They expect a lot and offer very little.
Pros
Fun, interesting, different everyday. plenty of time off
Cons
benefits are not good, do not tell the public the truth about donations.
clearance outlet goodwill
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TX 78237September 6, 2016
customers (flea market vendors)are horrible, haggling you over a dollar, dirty store full of trash, you will get sick from all the dust and dirt, customers will come with blood on hands from getting cut with junk,I learned how cheap some people are. favoritism from management for employees and customers. hardest part was dealing with stress from customers and pricing everything yourself if it was a regular goodwill it would be ok but it was a clearance goodwill. leaving was the most enjoyable part
Pros
good coworkers
Cons
no benefits, not getting scheduled breaks
Eh
Processor (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 25, 2016
I have been with the company less then a year and I have had nothing but problems. I need a day off or to come in a little late and I get scheduled to work said day consistently or blown off about being late. The managers run around like chickens with their heads cut off, so you can never talk to them and figure things out. The staff changes constantly. The pay isn't that great compared to the amount of work we have to do to reach the daily quotas they have for us, which is a ridiculous amount if they want us to put nice quality donations out onto the sales floor. I don't mind the work, getting paid more would be nice along with lowering the daily quota. But the real issue I have is with the people working there, the managers are more focused on over pricing items and the other employees like to cause drama, gossip, or complain about work constantly. I've had many customers tell me prices on items are almost the same or higher on the same product brand new.
Pros
Benefits for full time, employee discount, gym membership discount
Cons
Managers, co-workers, low pay
Good job enviornment for learning basic fundamental job skills.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  TusonOctober 1, 2016
Environment tailored for individuals with possible disabilities job qualifying impairments'. Job is mandatory full time positions, production requirements. Demanding, even for those with possible conditions. Good environment for job skills at work place. Coworkers seem to share common desire for maintaining cooperation, teamwork. Was grateful for employment opportunity though with existing disability not as much compensation as hoped.
Pros
Case worker/ Goal advisor.
Cons
Very strict about benifit for merchandise with employees. Demanding production goals.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Goodwill Industries. Our community is ready to answer.