Goodwill Industries Employee Reviews

Found 7,032 reviews matching the search
Professional work place with team work.
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCNovember 22, 2016
A typical day is routine daily assignments.

You learn through meetings monthly pertaining to permanent employment.

Management is very busy; but does make arrangements for face - face, returns your calls, and allows you to schedule a visit.

The hardest is when their isn't enough time for everyone.

The most enjoyable is during meeting everyone elaborates on important issues.
Pros
It gives me the opportunity to keep my skills current.
Cons
Not enough pay or hours.
stressful work environment, no family life balance
Store manager (Former Employee) –  Baxley, GANovember 16, 2016
open/close store, payroll, staff schedule, cashier, email correspondence, interviewing, hiring new employees, customer service, drive sales. Motivate and train employees.

Upper management had no clue which direction they were taking the company...this was almost daily .

Most enjoyable part was advancement opportunities for those who work hard.

Hardest part was upper management was so disorganized.
Pros
advancement opportunities
Cons
upper management not respectful to employees, disorganized upper management
Hard and fast paced. Good benefits, Opprotunity for advancement
Warehouse/Chashier (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 30, 2016
A typical day at Goodwill would be hard and fast paced. I worked at a outlet store in the warehouse. It was very hot in the summer. You worked very hard and with little breaks. You often worked with co-workers whom had very bad attitudes and bad work ethics. "Team" work was rare. If you did not pull your weight in work coworkers were very vocal about it. Management worked very hard as well. A lot of times right beside you to help you. I learned to be patient and use grace often. The most enjoyable part of my job was the diversity of my co-workers and customers.
Pros
Good Benefits, Great opportunity for advancement
Cons
Very physically demanding, Co-workers lack of teamwork
It is a good paying job with a diverse work force and Goodwill Industries believes in the power of work and helping people that are underprivileged.
Crew Leader (Former Employee) –  Great Lakes, ILNovember 23, 2016
Goodwill industries is a good paying job. I worked there for a long time and received my food service sanitation license. The job provides training and employment for those that are underprivileged. I believe it is a good place to work the pros outweigh the cons.
Pros
pays well, diverse work force, provides uniforms and health insurance
Cons
doesn't offer full time employment and has a high turn over rate in employees.
was a good company to work for. The Co workers was awesome, customers was awesome, wasn't nothing hard about the job itself.
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNNovember 8, 2016
My experience with the goodwill was great. They helped you when needed. Very understanding, the Co workers was awesome, the management was great. I actually learned alot. The customers played a big part in the company just by itself, by donating. I believe the hardest part was trying to keep the clothing in its place by colorizing, or size. Always was put in the wrong place, wrong size, no matter how hard you worked, it didn't matter. All n all, was an ok place.
Pros
they would let you know what time to go for lunch, or breaks.
Cons
health insurance, only for full-time.
Terrible.
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Moses Lake, WANovember 1, 2016
If you enjoy being yelled at constantly by customers who want something even cheaper, or be yelled at in spanish because you don't understand what they're saying, or even working your butt off and getting nothing for it, but the second you don't get something done, then you get yelled at by your manager who never left her office except to help production and expected retail half to have everything under control at all times. Worst management I have ever worked for, then wonders why everyone quits after a month.
Pros
discount on top of cheap prices
Cons
management, schedule, minimum wage
they gave me a job
Procession Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAOctober 31, 2016
A typical day at the goodwill was to make production we had a goal to reach each day we would go through crates full of donated clothes etc pick out the best of the best for sale. I learned how to make production goals and how to time manage.my co-works where very pleasant as well as the management team. Hardest part of the job was digging through some of the creates. most enjoyable was finding donated items that others could use.
Pros
lunch was provided sometimes
Cons
sometimes no brakes
Its a great place to work
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Tullahoma, TNNovember 4, 2016
Goodwill is a great company.They don't descriminate no matter who you are .They hire the less challenged people which is great bc everyone deserves a change to work.They help the blind get service dogs which I'd really great,help people get clothes etc that have lost everything dew to a house fire.They also help people who need medical supplies.All these services are free .No other companies does these sorta,of things.Thats what makes Goodwill stand out from all the rest.
Great benefits and perks but very physically demanding
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg VirginiaNovember 12, 2016
Goodwill has great benefits and growth potential with many opportunities for advancement. If you are going to work their you need to be in very good physical condition if you are 40 or older and work with donations. You will wear many hats and do the work of three at times. Other coworkers have a very bad habit of being lackadaisical and leaving their work for others to do. Great benefits and management is wonderful to work with.
Pros
Health benefits and perks
Cons
Low pay, yearly raises with very little compensation, very physically demanding
I have had a great time at Goodwill. Great place to feel appreciated
Warehouse Sorter (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 14, 2016
Great my team workers first thing in the morning. Getting our assignment. I worked on the sorting line. It was so much. It made the day go by fast. Getting to know other people with similar problems in life. I love the fact that know one look down on us. And was treated as we were as we were just as equal to someone that did not have the problem through as we had. I would just working at Goodwill gave me respect for this company, as well respect for myself.
Easy work if you're a decent worker
Pt3/line lead (Former Employee) –  Sturtevant, WINovember 16, 2016
The plant I worked in had it's own temp agency. Background checks and everything else to get into the job seemed a little sketchy. My supervisor had told me the plant was for those who wanted/needed a second chance. Didn't seem like too many people cared to keep their job but management was expected to produce numbers. Kind of a difficult thing to do when people think they should get paid to just stand around and talk all day. Benefits didn't get offered to everyone because they were only temps. Few people were hired into the company to keep it this way.
Great cashier experience, great with working with donations and very nice clothes.
Cashier/Retail (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 17, 2016
We are respected in the communities in which we work and provide services. We’re well known for our retail brand, but we also provide a comprehensive mix of programs and services through our other divisions that help people.Goodwill is Amazing. Goodwill is a discount retailer with core values of care and respect. The national chain looks for quality store associates who embody company core values and can provide excellent customer care. With careers for sales floor associate We have a wonderful place to work
Pros
Wonderful customers, great service
Cons
Hours working
I have a great day at work everyday.
Production Worker/Packer (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYNovember 18, 2016
A typical day at work would be enjoyable.. I've learned how tobe more creative with the various items which i process and have to go through within a normal work day.... I have respect for the entire management team, and they all have been so helpful to me... My co-workers are wonderful...There isn't anything hard about this job... The most enjoyable part about my job is that i work in a multi-cultural enviornment which helps me to network in many diversities....
A very good learning experience a nice and fun place to work
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WANovember 25, 2016
I really enjoyed working for Goodwill. I was sad to have to resign but personal issues I had deal with. I was physically and emotionally drained from all the stress that it was starting to affect my job my work performance. It has been a couple of months and I feeling a lot better. My dealing with things are much better and I am watching to see if there's a position is opening soon so I can go back I really love working there and I miss it.
Pros
Everyone's one big happy family welcome home
Cons
I really haven't seen anything that should or could be improved.
Very low paying jobs
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 26, 2016
Very low paying jobs, they make you work in multiple sites in san diego county, you do not have a fixed working schedule, sometimes you work nights then days, sometimes they make you work 8 hr turn arounds, you spend a lot of gas traveling from one goodwill location to another. Some retail managers are very rude and treat their low paying employees in disrespectful manner. You do not move up in the company if they do not like you (favoritism)
Pros
Safety days, holiday pay, vacaton, simpsa benefits
Cons
Low pay, ugly working schedules, etc.etc.etc
Unfair employee treatment, fast pace, no extra hours
Textile Worker (Former Employee) –  South texasDecember 2, 2016
I worked at goodwill in south texas. There was employees who never do anything and they never got fired or written up and the hard working employees were told by crew leaders to finish up the work for them ( there was no manager) . Also you couldn't get extra hours, and they only give a .08 cent raise if you work there for a year. They would want us to work at a very fast pace just to finish a quota that was impossible to make just so they would get a bonus on their paycheck.
Cons
No hours, unfair treatment
It's a difficult job in the Wares department
Wares Specialist (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAOctober 28, 2016
The people are really nice to work with .A typical day work would be sorting merchandise that is not often in good condition to be put out in the stores. I learned how to sort merchandise. I was not treated fairly by the management. My co-workers were wonderful to work with . The hardest part of the job was lifting heavy merchandise. The most enjoyable part of the job was sorting holiday merchandise.
Pros
Close to home, nice co-workers.
Cons
No benefits
Your work directly helps those in the community
Manager - South Lake Union locations (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 7, 2016
Great team of people, positive atmosphere, I enjoy this job and the opportunities available to me. I am challenged with staffing and directing a team of 15-40 people and managing the customer service and merchandising guidelines of a retail store with production room processing over 1,000 items daily.
Pros
environment, benefits, training for staff
Cons
working most holidays, weekend days & evenings
Good overall workplace
Outreach Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHNovember 7, 2016
A typical day included making phone calls, typing notes in the computer, reviewing emails. I learned the importance of networking within the work place. Management was supportive and willing to assist in upward mobility. Co-workers were friendly and supportive. Hardest part of that job was reaching people. Enjoyable parts included helping others, getting task done on time.
Pros
Climate controlled workplace, had my own office.
Cons
Goodwill is an excellent company
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 24, 2016
My typical workday began about 8 or 9am..i would begin putting out racks of clothing, and bins of merchandise...I would alternate this duty with cleaning dressing rooms...dusting and straightening shelves..bailing clothing in the back..and cleaning restrooms. I learned order and organization and how to stock merchandise...Management team was awesome..I worked with a lot of people who had a variety of disabilities..they were really amazing...the hardest part of my job had to be cleaning the fitting room...the most enjoyable part of my job was the people I worked with
Pros
Rewards of doing good job
Cons
no benefits