Goodwill Industries Employee Reviews in United States

Found 6,762 reviews matching the search
horrible.
Processor (Former Employee) –  Millville, NJMarch 12, 2016
Worked for this company for 6 weeks. During this time, I was harrassed by my coworkers daily, as well as the regional manager. Every week I was threatened to be fired because I wasn't producing enough items to meet the quotas due to the horrible donations we recieved. (60% of donations were literally filled with trash) Numerous times I was told if the processor position doesn't work out for me, I would be moved to a cashier position to secure my job.. however that never happened. I reported my issues to the CEO of this comapny as well as HR and the issues were never addressed. This is a money hungry company where the managers are relentless, tasteless, and hold no work ethic. Stay away!
Cons
horrible work ethic, broken promises, no opportunity for advancement, no benefits, short breaks, low pay
Decent salary. Management style and effort not very effecient or helpful.
Stock Clerk (Current Employee) –  Great Lakes Naval Training Center, ILFebruary 13, 2016
Goodwill is helpful in providing opportunities to people who may have some types of disabilities. Management seems only to be interested in their positions. They show little care or concern about regular employees. I worked at Uniform Issue, which involved handing out uniforms to new recruits at Great Lakes Naval Base. Hardest part of job was a feeling of little job security. Enjoyed working with naval recruits. I had a feeling that I was doing my part to help my country.
Pros
Adequate salary, Clean working enviroment, got along very well with co-workers.
Cons
Feeling that management was not willing to give support if needed, forced us to take a health insurance plan that was substandard and very expensesive.
Goodwill
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORFebruary 16, 2016
Goodwill was a good job to have for the time I was working there. Not much room for advancement or raises. I enjoyed the customer service I was able to provide and enjoyed seeing regular customers. Lower management tried harder than upper management and it created problems sometimes. Too much job drama for me, and Goodwill needs to appreciate the employees that work hard every day. Currently they do not appreciate employees that have helped them out and work as hard as they can every day. I only worked at one store so it could have just been the dynamics at that particular store.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Tedious work but it's only a job, not a career
Donation Processor (Former Employee) –  Danville, VAFebruary 10, 2016
Days here are different but strenuous and tedious. Basically, you're sorting through donated goods and placing them in bins. Some duties can be physically demanding and some higher-ups expect a lot from the workers, some of whom are part-times with disabilities. I have nothing nice to say in regards to management. The only thing I learned was to never work in such an environment if I can help it. As for advancement, you'll be lucky if you move from production to retail, not so much for any administrative positions.
Pros
Decent pay, benefits if you're a full-time employee
Cons
No advancement, miscommunication, apathy, strict on breaks, odd scheduling
My day as a sales associate at good will
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSApril 4, 2016
my typical day at Goodwill was basically the same when i was on the clock . i would clock in about 10 am and walk to my station. first i would organize my day, and start my day. i basically scanned books and media all day , i would process over one hundred books and media a day. i would take my first break around 11 30 am and then i would come back to work. i would take the books and media that were accepted into the system in blue totes and labeled them for shipment and those that didnt get approved i would stock on the shelves. before i went home i would pick up the sales floor .and the dressing rooms
Pros
Good Pay and benefits
Cons
no human contact
Stressful work environment, Unprofessional District Managers
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  North Charleston, SCJanuary 15, 2016
A typical day of work in management would consist of many, many tasks in operating the store but given only a small staff of employees to get the job done. District Managers were very unprofessional and manipulative. Wonderful and hard working employees but unable to compensate them due to pay raises being so low. The hardest part of my job was trying to meet unrealistic and ridiculous demands without being given a staff of capable people to accomplish those demands. The most enjoyable part of my job was when I was able to assist employees with barriers to employment with their needs and observe their growth and development into their full potential.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
unprofessional, shady District Managers
Beware
former employee (Former Employee) –  bluegrass divisionFebruary 24, 2016
Goodwill used to be about helping people now it's all about making the money. They might help a few people, but not anything like they claim to do. Most of the time they use the people that will work. In a year's time Goodwill has had to get all new managers for all its stores. And a lot of assistant managers have left, too. The new managers now sit in the office, but take all the credit when the work is done. And don't expect anybody in a job above yours to have your back either. It's everybody for themselves. I used to love to work for Goodwill, but in a years time and a new CEO it's all went down hill.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
lots of heavy lifting, backstabbing, and lying
Poor treatment to workers
Processor (Current Employee) –  West sanford flFebruary 8, 2016
Processor, west Sanford
Pros, good benefits, holiday, personal time
Cons: cutthroat environment, no loyalty from management.

Their "mission" is a smokescreen. The bottom line is money!!! They use scare tactics to all employees, produce or walk! Constant threat of being replaced. Any complaints are considered hostile. The programs for the disabled are actually a way to get free labor. They don't give anything, they take. Easily the worst company I've worked with. Donors are mislead to thinking their contribution is going to the needy. It's marked up so we can open more stores, give management bigger pay increases, and cash bonuses. Goodwill is a scam...
Pros
Holiday pay, personal time
Cons
The constant threats of being girrd
fast passed environment fun co-workers
Senior Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCMarch 1, 2016
come in get a list of what the managers wanted done that day.
assist customers work register, keep store clean.
assist managers with any special task they required.
clean store back to factory setting.
I learned that not all customers will want the same approach to helping them.
Managers had favorite workers and would complain if everything on there list to do was not done at the exact moment it was requested.
co workers were kind fun to work with and helped each other with the big job of selling merchandise.
the hardest part was rude customers we would get one a week or less than that.
most enjoyable part of the job was the regular customers that loved our opinion on what they were buying.
Pros
fantastic benefits
Cons
managers belittling the other coworkers
Good place to work, fun atmosphere
Cashier and Wares Producer (Current Employee) –  Manistee, MIMarch 18, 2016
I have worked at Goodwill for almost a year, and I am very happy with my job. Management is flexible and understanding, everyone gets along very well and I feel comfortable and secure in my position. The pay isn't great, but there are opportunities for advancement and raises are given on a regular basis.
Pros
Employee discount, flexible management, fun atmosphere and great work environment to be in
Cons
mediocre pay, can be stressful at times (like any job)
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAMarch 22, 2016
Good place to work fun team and management was very helpful and knowledgable and will work with you if you are having any issues will hear what your saying. Hours could be increased as not a whole lot of people can live on part time hours.The schedules are not the same and change every week times and days off no set schedules!
Pros
great co workers and management
Cons
no discounts working for company only part time and uneven work schedules, and no bonuses or extra compensation incentives
Good Place of Employment
Business Service Site Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVMarch 6, 2016
I worked as Business Service Site Supervisor. I worked under contract for the DHHR in West Virginia before being transferred to another nine story state building with fifteen workers under my supervision. I was responsible for maintaining a safe and healthy work place for all State Workers. My responsibilities included; logging Hours worked, grievances, disciplinary, Time-sheets, Supplies, etc...
The Hours were steady. The people were fun to work with.
Pros
Hours
Cons
Pay Raise
Busy, productive, and very challenging.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 4, 2016
Customers constantly change prices, steal and complain about prices. It was difficult to remain positive and to keep focused on "changing lives through the power of work" when loss prevention is more worried about the employees stealing than it's own customers. Very difficult to move up within this company. Good luck if you are part time and need full time. Be prepared for additional responsibilities but no compensation. A lot of egos and jealousy and of course favoritism. Bad apples that have been around for years and nothing being done about it. Good employees being lost daily while the bad ones are there to stay. Just keeping it real.
Pros
One hour lunches.
Cons
Cheap customers and bad employees
management not good
Processor (Former Employee) –  Sun City, FLApril 4, 2016
management has their favorites and let other work harder than others. Management is NOT good. NO raises at all. They don't appreciate what a good job you do and NO raises at all until the minimum wages go up.They expect you to do so much with less employees. People gets hired but no one stays.
Pros
some good employyes
Cons
BAD MANAGEMENT
laid back, casual atmosphere
E-Commerce Associate (Current Employee) –  Commerce, IAMarch 9, 2016
Job is in a laid back, casual atmosphere. deadlines and quotas are reasonable. I spend days listing used items donated to the company for online sales. Sometimes storage space can be an issue. Each employee is given an area of specialty in certain items for listing. for example I handle musical instruments and video games. Communication between employees and managers can be a little dodgy, though.
Pros
generous benefits and PTO plans
Cons
communication between departments is dodgy at times.
WORST job choice I ever made
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMDecember 12, 2015
Goodwill NM is a feminist run group from the CEO down who take advantage of their managers and associates every chance they can possibly get. Managers are expected to put in 50+ hour work weeks with no extra compensation. The bonus structure is ridiculous with payouts as low as $25. NO job security at all. GOODWILL NM HAS A TURNOVER RATE OF 112%!

REALLY, 112% OF NEWLY HIRED EMPLOYEES ARE FIRED WITHIN THE FIRST 6 MONTHS! This is why they are constantly hiring.

They pay disabled workers as little as .25 per hour for the same exact work as regular associates!

If you are thinking of joining this company, DON'T!
Pros
NONE
Cons
EVERYTHING
low pay and horrible management.
Merchandise Processor (Former Employee) –  Lakeway, TXMarch 11, 2016
I worked at the Lakeway location for almost 2 years for $9.50 an hour. That was with two raises. I gave a lot to this place and I finally hit my breaking point. They wouldn't give me my 30 min lunch break after overworking me the week before, and only giving me one day off. They expected me to train new employees when that is in the team leads work description. They had me doing all of the team leads work. After I submitted my two week notice not once but twice they offered to bump my pay, which never happened. So I tried to submit my two weeks a third time, then they made it so unbearable I quit so they wouldn't have to pay all my leave time saved up. they treat their employees like the gum on the bottom of their shoe. All they care about is money, money, and more money. The work atmosphere is always negative and always stressful. If you want more money maybe you should treat your employees like human beings and not robots. When we had managers that cared, we were making bonus every month and our store was in great condition. They bring in new management that has only worked for them for 3 months and every thing falls apart. Employees walked out left and right.
Pros
Co-workers are great, customers are great
Cons
Horrible management, negative work environment, do not care about employees, never any positive reinforcement.
Numbers Driven and High Turnover Rate
career development (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCDecember 29, 2015
Non-Profit, very numbers driven, not people driven. Goodwill just aims to get more grants and money for their organization. You are salary within Career Development, but you work 12-14 hr days. No respect from Vice Presidents or Upper Management. Poor Communication from Upper Management. Not a Great Employer, but benefits are okay.
Pros
NONE, they are numbers driven, and they will drive you crazy and write you up for not meeting numbers
Cons
They are numbers driven. Poor Communication and overall work Atmosphere
us army infantry man
Donations Attendant (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAApril 5, 2016
taught me discipline army values how to be punctual lead teams work togather in units set the foundation for my sales career was promoted early with waiver for my hard work and dedication
Pros
team college money benifits
Cons
long hours stressful
Not the best
Donor Services Associate (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAFebruary 24, 2016
If you're looking for a career or have hopes of moving up within the company, look elsewhere. This is a good job for young kids or people with no ambition. Management is poor, they will not pay you what you deserve and if you have hopes of even getting a raise, forget about it. You could spend 11 years there and make a whole 15 cents more than minimum wage.