Goodwill Industries Employee Reviews

Found 8,862 reviews matching the search
Slow-paced environment.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 22, 2017
The job itself isn't bad, but the people you surround yourself with. We need better structure, more workers & more training. Also, there needs to be bilingual speakers.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Short breaks, slow paced
Not what you would expect
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  ILJune 22, 2017
While they lure you in with the promise of the "amazing" goodwill, it is anything but amazing. The company itself has very little direction and unsure of its own future. The one consistency are rising prices.
Understanding
Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSJune 22, 2017
You'll work the schedule given but life happens, so you can either take or leave the extra hours management offers. Working in retail is fun, but you have to learn how to work the way customers think or you will not like working anywhere that requires customer service.
Pros
Alot of hours for cashiers, flexible schedule for PT employees, a little above min wage
Cons
short breaks for 6 hrs, understaffed depending in location, overworked
great work place
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Conway, ARJune 22, 2017
cares about customers and employees, great work enviroment and very clean and orgainzed store. Very particular on the items they get threw donations and prices them reasonable
Fast paced
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJune 22, 2017
I really liked working at Goodwill, you never knew what things you were going to see get donated. The managers were really nice, and everyone got along together most of the time.
Pros
discount
Cons
not getting the hours you need
really cool place to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  La Mirada, CAJune 22, 2017
I like working at Goodwill, there are a lot of cool things people donate. I have also learned how to tell when different merchandise is fake or real like purses.
Pros
friendly people
Cons
no benefits
Life at GW
Associate (Current Employee) –  Kingston, NYJune 22, 2017
Goodwill is a good company to work for. I have a few wonderful coworkers, the manager can be a little moody at times but not that bad. You are told to apply for the cashier position but you do very little cashiering. Most of the time you're hanging clothing and picking up behind customers. The hardest part of the job is trying to keep things in order and having some coworkers who slack, The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with the customers.
The typical day of donation attendant
Donation Attendant (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAJune 22, 2017
the typical day was showing up at the donation site taking and sorting donations in catigors of Eletronics, house wares,clothing, and misolanis items. packing them for pick up. And being the only one their and being swamped.
Pros
Its a good job to keep your mind going.
Cons
its stressful.
Great idea in theory, but not execution
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 22, 2017
Goodwill was by far, the most stressful of all my jobs. The constant threats and intimidation practices that are used by the district manager all the way through to corporate, was insane. Every manager meeting that was held, was nothing but fear tactics and threats of firing, if sales quotas weren't met.I had many ideas to try to help increase production, but ideas were always shot down with "this is the way we've always done it", but yet their productions numbers were never being met, company wide. I went into goodwill with intents on helping people, the community, the less fortunate. But the scare tactics and constant verbal bullying by the District Manager, forced me out the door. I wouldn't recommend this company to anyone. Much less shop there anymore to pad upper managements pocket.
Pros
Pretty sweet schedule, my staff
Cons
All of the corporate and District Manager, unfair work practices, discrimination against women, so many cons...
Hard Labor for little pay
Processor (Current Employee) –  Willingboro, NJJune 22, 2017
As a processor you are emptying 5+ gaylords a day and stressed to make numbers while trying to stay competetive. request made for less hours in a shift granted by general management however store management is not able to comply with my 6 hour shift request due to my disabilities.
Pros
its a job
Cons
short breaks, little pay, lack of air conditioning

Want to know more about Goodwill Industries?

Ask a question
poor
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 22, 2017
there was not enough work there being that I was part time they tried to find things for me to do but they gave the older people more time and shifts that was busy
Pros
nothing at all
Cons
treated workers unfriendly
Need more employees and trainging provided.
Sales Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Charlottesvilles, VAJune 22, 2017
It provided help when it was really needed, but there are no long term programs set to keep employees or training given to ensure that the job is done according to their handbook. The other employees are great to work with and they are always smiling no matter what.
Pros
You get holidays and vacations.
Cons
You get punished for any mistakes made.
The Goodwill is a good place to start off and it keep's the Bill's paid
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 22, 2017
It would be better if there was more respect in the work place. The worker's opinion's seems not to matter we as the worker's are the backbone of the company I would like to feel and be more appropriated. There is great young minds in this company with great idea's that could really take the company further into the future of retail. Worker's want to look forward to coming to work not dread coming in just to get a paycheck to pay the bills living paycheck to paycheck is hard life is harder all the worker's want is to grow with the company and even learn from them if one day they decided to start their own business. Is there way's to buy stock in the company and/or get a 401k.
Pros
Growing in the company
Cons
There is no team effort and no respect for anyone working there without a title
Fun, fast paced workplace
Cashier, Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNJune 21, 2017
This was my absolute favorite job!
Fast paced, always something to do. Amazing management, so helpful and nice. Amazing co-workers, met some of the best people there.

Would recommend.
fun place to work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Paris, TXJune 21, 2017
A typical day at work started with a good morning, then we practiced our drill for the day. I learned how to get along with everyone and how to perform in public. Management was excellent. The workplace. Culture. Was unique in its on way,we were like one big family everyone. Cared for the others well being. It was having. A dissatisfied. Customer. Getting. To spend the day with my co-workers. I really enjoyed the years that I worked at GoodWill. It was s very learning experience for me. I learned management skills that really helped me. I feel very blessed at all the years that I was working for Goodwill Industries.
fun workplace
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 21, 2017
Goodwill industries help alot of people who are handicap and disabled. It provide them a better job that'll match with our potential for the job and good working environment.
Pros
potluck
Wish I could rate higher
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INJune 21, 2017
I am in no means putting The company itself down but they need to be careful with conduct. While working for Goodwill, an incident happened. I was openly honest about the situation only to be told that I did the wrong thing and basically to lie to a customer. Then I told my manager I needed to step down from my full time position. I was told I'd be able to stay on. Literally 5 days before this position change was due to happen I was told they didn't have the funds to keep me on. I LOVED this job and would probably still be there if they would have worked with me. Literally after telling me they couldn't open a position for me I saw 6 positions on here within two days! It hurt to know that they basically pushed me out. Poor conduct and handling on HR end and my managers. With this being said, it is a fantastic company to work for and most of the staff are amazing. I am not resentful, bacsue this allowed me more time to be a mom. I was just heartbroken.
Pros
Great team, busy pace
Cons
Poor management, HR issues
Fire place to work it allows you to move around
Sales Associate/Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 21, 2017
Fire place to work it allows you to move around this is a great place to work if you're looking for part-time work it allows you to interact with your customers. You're able to walk around in your workspace you don't have to be in one space and you're able to take meant the payments from your customers as well as assist your customers
A non-profit in name only
Area Manager-Western Region (Former Employee) –  North Platte, NEJune 21, 2017
Management is clueless when it comes to creating a positive work environment. Retail stores are pushed beyond limits to meet sales goals so management can get their bonuses.
Pros
Some of the money goes to help people
Cons
The majority of the money is spent on management perks, bonuses, etc.
I learned alot about office work, here.
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 21, 2017
I learned a lot about office work here. Paper work, mail room duties, keep up with extra copies of documents on stock, answer telephone, send off faxes, and other duties as assigned.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Goodwill Industries. Our community is ready to answer.