Goodwill Southern California Employee Reviews

Discount on all merchandise
Cashier/clerk (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAAugust 30, 2017
Learning work skills for jobs of same type. Excellent training for multiple skills. Three month training. Discount on all merchandise. Easy to work .
Pros
discount on all merchandise
Cons
none really
It help me to open new horizon and looking forward to be able to land a much more greener pasture.
SALES CREW (Current Employee) –  Carson, CAAugust 16, 2017
I witnessed how goodwill trained people to one day be independent enough in the field they choose. It also people from the median part of society owned things they wish through the affordable prices which they extended to the consuming public. I give goodwill 5 star.
Poor
Donations Associate (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 15, 2017
The co-workers were unfriendly and the management did not care if the employee's personalities fit with each others. New employees got preferential treatment over which days they wanted to work, and most wanted weekends off.
Pros
Cons
Cons are as stated above with no holiday pay even if you worked.
Good workplace wonderful employers good attitudes
Furniture mover/ clothes sorter (Former Employee) –  Whittier, CAJuly 27, 2017
managers with good work ethic, good employers ready to get things done always making sure they have all requirements, and always giving customers a good experience while shopping
Pros
Simple tasks
Cons
Short breaks
Productive workspace driven by mission
Attended Donation Center Attendant (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJuly 15, 2017
Goodwill is a fantastic company which focuses on its mission of help people with barriers to employment and other life essentials. It maintains a great atmosphere for employees, respectfully acknowledges their work while motivating them with how the company overall is helping people in their own communities.
hate
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CA 90045July 12, 2017
Special need employees paid less than minimum, about 4.50 an hour. Over pricing is encouraged. Management is worked to the bone and expected to available at all hours of the day.
Challenging but meaningful place to work
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Rialto, CAJuly 10, 2017
There are little opportunities for advancement unless you are willing to transfer to a different store. Company does not give full time hours unless you are a member of management, No performance raises.
Cons
Short breaks, no benifits, few hours.
Fun and busy place to work
Merchandise Handler/Cashier Los Angeles (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 29, 2017
Fun is what you put in and expect to get out. People need to remember it's called work for a reason not kick it spot. They're called managers for a reason, they get paid more for a reason.
Pros
Good Will perks
Cons
people who haven't devoleped work ethics
one star
IMAGE SCANNING ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 7, 2017
The manager is very good. He is good little sign language and take care of employee. Goodwill Southern California people are very friendly

I learned scanning image temporary for 3 months
Pros
no lunch
Cons
10 minutes break time
Good management/employees
donations, pricing (Current Employee) –  Culver City, CAJune 6, 2017
The job of my group (Keys 4-6) is to receive donations and help keys 1-3 plus provide costumer service and aid to those needing questions.

I've learned how to use a multitude of household items in order to better help the costumers.

Management is great. Personal and school issues are considered to give the day off when proper time is given.

Hardest part of the job is just the carry-outs when heavy furniture. But there are other employees and pivoting techniques that help with heavy items.

The most enjoyable part of my job is meeting new people and making friends for events and parties.
Productive and fun
Sales Associate/Processor (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAMay 25, 2017
I had a chance to meet new customers every day and provide them with great customer service. every day is a day full of duties and responsibilities. I also had the opportunity to teach new coworkers with their daily tasks.
Work experience only-- not a career move
Job Coach (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CAApril 25, 2017
Worked with Goodwill for two years as a job Coach. Loved the clients, but did not like the culture and management of Goodwill. Also, corporate was a poor example of professionalism and would not encourage anyone to want to make a lateral move unless they had no other choice. My sup quit because of the way I was treated :( they don't keep good people because they don't treat people good. Their management retention was like 12% :/
Pros
Clients
Cons
Salary, management and culture
Good Job
Senior Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 12, 2017
Great place to work, there are many good people who work at this place. Company is a good, don't really have anything negative to speak about this place.
A good environment to work
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 30, 2017
A typical day @ Work consisted of the monitoring of the traffic @ the the shipping and receiving area. Implemented a data base of the in and out traffic through the said area, Management was sufficient and it was very multi-cultured.
The hardest part of a day was when shipments were too close together and the we would experience a temporary 'bottleneck'.
I got to know a lot of the employees and it was a nice place to work.
Pros
Stability
Cons
Benefit package depleted.
Cashier and Work
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Palmdale, CAMarch 29, 2017
A typical day as front cashier is a great experience with customers and co-workers. I Enjoy customer and keeping the store clean. To have a great effect on the regular customer and the new. I learn a lot from my management and co-workers who has been working their for awhile they all are very helpful. the work culture is excellent we have all different culture we have pot lucks so many different food types and I love to learn about different cultures so its a plus. The hardest part about the job is making sure the customer is happy with their purchases so many customers with all type of personalities' so not sure what they wont and if they are happy with the item/items. So discounts really help outa lot. The most enjoyable part of the job is having great management and finishing your task on time.
Pros
Hours, co-workers, Management, Taxes, Pay sick days
Cons
Benifits
Overall great environment to work in
Job Coach Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CAJanuary 31, 2017
I love what I do. I work with adults who have disabilies in some form of cavity. I get the joy of watching them reach their goals and mov on to different things.
Goodwill Southern California
Business Development Process Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 24, 2017
If you're social service oriented, Goodwill Southern California is the best place to work at. Going to work everyday and seeing the faces of why you do what you do is PRICELESS! It brightens your day and you're pumped to do the best.

Unfortunately, in recent years Goodwill has progressively laid off it's workforce and cut-back on essential benefits.
Pros
Mission
Cons
Benefits, job instability.
Worst place to work for
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Diamond Bar, CAJanuary 15, 2017
Managementcwas the worst that exsisted.Regional manager is a self centered jerk. Got sock did not even offer to call 911. I had to ask to call 911. Would rather syarve then to work here agaim.
Place was fun
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 29, 2016
I clock in made sure that the textile staff had cloths to sort. Count the donations which was about 13 and 2 empties. Moved the empties and labled them either hardgoods, electrical, or shoe/bag/luggaged. Talk to my supervisers or manger to see which station they wanted us to be assigned. It was either the donation center, sorting donation bins, or price. What I really admired about my job is that we all worked as a team. But you know that if one of us is weak then the rest of the team is weak. We are only as strong as our weakest link. We worked hard to keep each other in check. What ever need to be done we did without no questions asked I just did what I was told. I found that a good relationship with staff members and mangers makes us better in working because we built that chemistry that want us to work. The leadership was there and we were incuraged to develope the skills need to assert ourselves in to becoming a superviser. My job was great but I felt that the company was changing and shifting to a different direction and my time with them was done. So as much as I liked my job was looking more for a challenge and became bored of the same routines.
Pros
Great place to get an oppertunity
Cons
Company was going thru too much changes that you could not adjust
production and fun to work
Retail Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Lake Elsinore, CAMarch 12, 2016
liked working with customers and liked fast paced work it was fun being a team member there..manager was nice and fun to work with.. alot to learn at goodwill and everyone is very freindly

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Goodwill Southern California. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8