Goodwill of Central Arizona Employee Reviews

laid back
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZJanuary 12, 2016
easy going laid back great work life balance super training program district managers very involved attainable quotas for sales and production
Decent job, aside from the managment.
Customer Service Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZJanuary 9, 2016
Goodwill is a very routine job, go in same time everyday and repeat the same stuff from before. The Co-workers I dealt with were amazing but the management was very difficult to work with after I got promoted. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the may the management is treating me. The best part of the job is being surrounded by caring coworkers who make the day fun no matter what.
Most enjoyed
Sales Associate/Producer (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 13, 2015
I love how all of my coworkers are extremely down to earth and we have a good time being together. We each other fairly and with a lot of respect. We are kind of like a big happy family. The relationship with me and my managers are extremely exciting because we have a bond that's respect but at the same time its also firm. I love being at work laughing and joking with the people around me.
Pros
freedom of speech
Cons
short breaks
Makes you hate yourself and your life
sales associate (Former Employee) –  Yuma, AZOctober 27, 2015
you're always cleaning after disrespectful peoples messes, the managers treat you like its your first day there even though youve been there for 7+ months, the managers are also very condescending. my coworkers are great people. the managers, no. the customers are the worst part of everything. always very rude, but you have to keep up that service with a smile :)
Pros
nothing
Cons
absolutely everything
Joke of an organization and workplace
Career Advisor (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 25, 2015
I work in Workforce Development, a.k.a, it is my job to try to help other people find jobs (the overall 'mission of goodwill'). Sounds great on paper, right? The reality is awful. If you're okay with having heroin/meth addicts, ex-felons, pedophiles, transients who exploit the services, and down right rude and system-milking people walk through the door and being forced to deal with them and their every demand... this is the job for you! GW does not care about the kinds of jobs they help people get (average wage is less that $9.50, and held for less than 3 months). As long as the metrics show '50,000' placed, and upper management gets their 6-figure paychecks (Yes, far above $100,000 while retail makes $8.50), who cares if the 'mission' is really adhered to. Terrible middle management, severely under staffed (we lose about 2-3 people every month to better, less morally degrading jobs), no room for advancement unless you are drinking buddies with those above you or are willing to backstab coworkers... DO NOT WORK HERE.
Pros
Mileage reimbursement, PTO and 10 holidays
Cons
Healthcare options, advancement, senior and middle management
good work place
Donation Attendant/ PT processor (Former Employee) –  Mesa AZOctober 13, 2015
it was fantastic team that took care of each other, regardless of the situation. management knew each member on a personal level and knew their strengths well and placed them in positions that will allow them to shine on the job.
Pros
benefits, co workers, management
Cons
productive and good working enviroment
Job Coach - Work Site Training (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 16, 2015
Enjoyed working with students and co-workers
Learned how to work with students with developmental disabilities
Job was easy enjoyed working with students mgmt was awsome
Pros
good working atmosphere
Cons
good breaks
worked to death with little pay
retail processer (Former Employee) –  AZSeptember 3, 2015
Worked as a linens processor be ready for smelly sheets and trash to look through all day. And ask yourself why am I doing this, I deserve better
Pros
Cons
dirty work environment, and high turnover
Comfortable work place if we had a breakroom that was indoors.
Floor Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, ArizonaAugust 24, 2015
Load trailor with equipment assigned to clean stores for that night, hardest part of job is staying awake traveling in between stores.
Production Manager/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 6, 2015
Wow what a great place to be employed. Upper management and CEO cared for the workers. It was not easy work but it was a great place to continuously learn new things. I got to work with great people.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
constantly changing upper managemet

Want to know more about Goodwill of Central Arizona?

Ask a question
Hardest part of the job
Career Advisor (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 27, 2015
Not located on GW property, people may not know the location of where I work at. With recent re-org, I have to wait for job seekers to come into my career center, so sometimes the work load is light
Pros
Ability to help others
Cons
People not knowing what kind of services GW can offer
It is an enjoyable place to train
Career Center Assistant (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 19, 2015
Great place to learn and prepare to enter the job market for a desired career. I enjoy the people that I am training with. I have learned so much from all of them. I am very grateful to Goodwill for having a program to bring seniors in to train and help transition into the work force. Goodwill is an answer to my prayers. Thank God for all Goodwill does to help serve our community.
Pros
Fun place to work while learning.
I'm so blessed to be part of the Goodwill Team.
Donation Attendant (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 17, 2015
Goodwill gave me the opportunity other employers wouldn't. i'm so blessed to be a part of this Non Profit Organization. They gave me hope when i was loosing hope and not only that but with there help ive been able to change my life around. My financial status is getting better thanks to them and im so thankful.
Thanks Goodwill.
SCCEP PROGRAM
Career Advisor Asissant (Current Employee) –  PhoenixMarch 23, 2015
I Like the Goodwill. I(t is a great company to work for I like being in the career center, I have a great understanding of computer programs and how Human Resources work today.
Pros
experience
Fun, but highly productive place to work.
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Goodyear, AZJanuary 15, 2015
A typical day here consisted of completing a routine daily report as a team, while being able to answer phones and provide information simultaneously. The rest of your day was spent providing useful information to callers regarding no cost job search and training opportunities as well as various other forms of referrals and positive coaching. One needed to have a sense of initiative and common sense in order to provide the utmost in Customer Service, both internally and externally. Other reports were to be completed with a specific daily quota and this was the least enjoyable part of the job as it required a great deal of guesswork to complete. I enjoy having specific guidelines to follow rather than a responsibility that involves guesswork. Management was very helpful in ensuring that one had all the tools needed to succeed and meat the needs of the caller, but it was ultimately one's positivity, organizational skills, and sense of helpfulness that allowed one to succeed. At the end of the day, assisting folks who are 'at the end of their rope' to the path of gainful employment was definitively rewarding indeed. We ran our team as a smooth operational workplace. I would return to this position if ever requested to do so as I excelled at the opportunity.
Pros
gainful employment; excellent pay; fun co-workers
Cons
job location changed frequently
Assistant Career Advisor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 7, 2015
Productive training for me to help give me more confidence to re-enter the work force after being out of the work field for over ten years taking care of my Mother. I have learned so much while advocating for the job seekers. They have varied needs outside of seeking a job. I take pride in the fact that Goodwill allows me to advocate for the job seekers in other areas as needed. My computer skills were at the minimum when I started a few months ago and now my knowledge of how to use the computer has increased tremendously. I still have much more to learn, but I am convinced that I will be ready for employment when I leave Goodwill. I have never had so much fun while learning. My supervisor is amazing and I am learning so much watching and listening to how she engages the job seekers no matter how challenging they might be. Advocating for the job seekers is the most enjoyable part of my training. The hardest part of my day is when it is slow and there are not any job seekers to help. I enjoy working with my co-workers. I am so grateful that I am blessed to have been given this opportunity to train here while waiting to finish school and to become employed.
Pros
wonderful place to provide resources for everyone when searching for employment
Cons
wishing we could get everyone a job
Fun place to work, great employees!
Head Cashier (Current Employee) –  Prescott, AZDecember 16, 2014
Great place, some people dont really think of the workers as they should. Meet lots of great people and make friends!
Pros
coworkers, new people
Getting quirky at Goodwill
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fountain Hills, AZOctober 3, 2014
A typical day would consist of getting to talk to all the regulars and meeting new people. I learned to deal with people, even the difficult ones. The management was made up of incredible people who wanted to see everyone succeed in the job and outside of it as well. Co-workers were great for the most part, a couple of them I still am best friends with. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the busy days (every other Saturday was 50% off everything). The most enjoyable part of the job was the regulars. Living in a small town, I got to know so many people on a personal level.
Pros
great work environment.
Cons
usually understaffed
Do not work for this company unless there is no other hope of getting a job.
Donations, production backup, Production pricer. (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZSeptember 25, 2014
Good for a Starting job but don't expect to make it a lasting career. Although I like the fact that their Career Center really helps people. Working for them is not worth the stress. I am a very hard worker, and love to work hard, but they pay very little. For the last 3 years working for them I started at minimum wage and ended at only 9.00 an hour. To tell the truth I really enjoyed working for them the first 2 years then new management rolled in, but even before things started to change. I never worked for a company that had such strange and absurd rules. Hard work in some cases is rarely complemented. Production is always worried about losing there jobs. At times there distribution center management is poorly informed and organized, and most store and production managers are always breathing down your neck. Retail management is always stressed an I have witnessed too many to ether quit or be terminated. Working as a Donation Attendant at times you will be the only one closing at night. Management to keep budget shorts staff and cuts hours after Holiday pay in some cases and expects to get double the work out of production. At busy times OSHA safety regulations are not followed. I have witnessed workers quitting or being harassed to quit. Although I am not sure how every store is, but at a recertification meeting talking to other workers it seems like the same vibe and frustration. I am not saying do not donate to them because I think their Career Centers really can help people, but at times they really take advantage.
Pros
the career centers are great places to work and have great programs
Cons
working in retal donation stores is not worth the stress, and you are payed very little with low raise.
The Mission is Great! Now only if they followed it!
Human Resources Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 3, 2014
I enjoyed the idea of working for a company who's mission is to" put people to work" but the fact of the matter is turnover is super high, management does not care about the little guy and growing employees not in their circle.
Pros
nice office
Cons
management to many chief not enough indians, if you are not in managements circle, you will not advance