Goodwill of Greater Washington Employee Reviews

Not a bad place to work ( age 18 - 25 or retired )
E-Books Associate (Current Employee) –  Forestville, MDNovember 18, 2017
Now I've never worked at the stores so I'm speaking on the warehouse side of the company.

It's not a bad place to work if you just graduated from high school, retired, or just need a job till something better comes which leads me to my next point.

Management isn't bad but they could handle situations that occur on the job a lot better like floor space and other things that I won't speak on. Now you can work as much and as long as you want during the week with the incentive of overtime, leave, double time, and some paid holidays. However during orientation I recall them offering yearly raise on our anniversary and now the status of the leave change from receiving 80 hours for people who've worked 6 months - 5 year's ( I've worked for them almost 2 years ) to only receiving 8 hour.

So if you need a job Goodwill is not bad for a short stay..........
Pros
Easy work good hours
Cons
No long term goals can be achieved in this company.
Working at Goodwill
Wear Processor/ Donation Attendant (Current Employee) –  Annandale, VAOctober 31, 2017
I think it is a a good fit for a wide array of backgrounds, ages and experiences. it is a competitive place that allows you to grow and thrive. Management plays an essential role in coordinating the team work and building a healthy and strong relationships among the staff to insure adhering to the company`s policies. You can learn a lot from being a member of this company like, how to deal with various backgrounds. A typical day at work will be packed with different scheduled tasks(depends on your job description/management instructions) which will keep you busy, productive and on the run till the end of your work day.
cool work place to gain skills
Merchandise Processor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 25, 2017
Goodwill of Greater Washington was a good company to work for as I gained skills beyond my my expectations. I started as a processor and ended with the tools needed to work in computer recycling, shipping and receiving, stacking and staging merchandise using a forklift and other power equipment. I also learned the operations of
E-commence and online selling of used vintage goods.
Pros
excellent work hours. earned PTO, allotted a RISE coach and good work location
Cons
no room for advancement, no sick leave, company relocated
Great place
Merchandise Processor (Current Employee) –  Waldorf, MDSeptember 4, 2017
Great place for second chances! Laid back must be a quick learner and is a very diverse place to work. The CEO is awesome and always willing to here others input to better goodwill.
A wonderful place to work
Janitor (Current Employee) –  United StatesAugust 21, 2017
I Believe in this company because of the way they care about their employees ,they also gave you a change to grow in the company ,they will to help you.
Production/Retail Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Annandale, VAAugust 10, 2017
The job is great. Work is steady advancement is limited. Good starter Company The CEO is wonderful a real life people person down to earth.. Scheduling is difficult.
Meh, it pays the bills.
Production Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Clinton, MDJuly 30, 2017
It wasn't a job that I preferred, but it got the job done in terms of paying my bills. Work is moderate to difficult, considering you're almost constantly lifting and moving things. Being a team lead means you've got certain benefits of being a manager, but you yourself are not a "manager". Think of it as being a super employee. Pay was decent, would have liked more though, especially considering it was only a dollar higher than the wage of everyone else.
Pros
Decent pay, breaks, Pto, benefits, discounts
Cons
Hard work, long hours, general work stress
Great job, poor upper management
ASSISTANT MANAGER, PRODUCTION (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, NYJuly 13, 2017
The job itself is great and the people worked with make your day better, however the upper management implements, unrealistic expectations for the retail staff to follow when they have never worked a day in our shoes.
Flexible
Sale Associated (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJuly 7, 2017
I like that the work schedule was flexible around my schedule. I went to out of town school and I was looking for something to work around my schedule. The people I worked with were great.
Pros
flexible
Cons
Bad order
Very fun place to work and adjustable to your needs.
Donation Attendant (Former Employee) –  Clinton, MDJune 7, 2017
Very stable environment with very dedicated managers and leads. Tremendous customer service, and fluid work pace. Workers take pride in their job and the duties that come with it always putting forth maximum effort
productive and great workplace
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Waldorf, MDJune 3, 2017
its a great experience they train well and you i interact very well with the customers there management at good will is pretty fair and understanding of other people needs.,workplace is very organized and well kept. its pretty easy and long as you stay on key with what you have to do.
A good place to work if you just obtained a Social Work degree
PRODUCTION /RETAIL MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 26, 2017
If you enjoy selling anything from clothing to pots and pans this is the place to work. You meet all types of people from all walks of life and an encouraging place to work.
Pros
flexible work hours
Cons
salary
Good Company to work for
AP/ Data Entry Clerk (Temp) (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 24, 2017
This company was fun to work for a while

I learned how to become A/P clerk and HR clerk
they also taught me how to respond in an interview and how to writ an resume

Work force environment there was ok

The hardest part of the job was not having enough work to do everyday
Pros
Help people got a job
Cons
Not enough work
A place where Goodwill is a Goodthing
production team leader (Former Employee) –  Dale City, VAApril 24, 2017
Working at Goodwill gave me the opportunity to see and meet and make Good friends where people help each other and make sure you find what you are looking for and things you are not looking for. all of the employees have the customers interest in mind and want to make their visit a enjoyable one so that they come back for more.
Pros
To help people!
Cons
Having to leave at the end of your shift.
A workplace that helped me grow.
Intern (Former Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDMarch 24, 2017
When I arrived at work I would clock in and then head to my place of work. I would begin by making sure that I had enough boxes to accommodate the items that I would be packing. I would then begin to looking for the items that needed to be sent out on shelves and bring them to my station to be wrapped up. Over the years I would then help train new interns and oversaw some of their progress. This helped me to become more of a leader and gave me a new set of skills that I could use in other work places in the future. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with people that made the day fun and easy. They are great people and I had a pleasure working with them.
Pros
Working on leadership skills and discounts.
goodwill isn't so good
Lead sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJanuary 13, 2017
The company implements new ideas that save money in the long haul, but puts more time consuming work and stress on the lower end associates.
experience
RETAIL - SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Bowie, MDOctober 17, 2016
This job for me actually was one of my favorites. I actually only left to school starting back. This by far was one of the best experiences. Management relied on me a lot. Primarily because I worked at a fast pace, got things done, and picked on things exceptionally well.
Pros
Pay, new customers and co-workers met.
Cons
Advancement options, communications
Good people you work with ... management is inconsistent... communication is not always there
Merchandise Processor (Current Employee) –  Bowie, MDOctober 13, 2016
Cool job overall.. nothing hard about it... good benefits and most people are fun to work with. Do feel that roads to advancement are not clear... many good people are overlooked. Management lacks communication at times and there is room for improvement.
Pros
50% off merchandise
Cons
high turnover
Okay at first...
Cashier/Associate (Former Employee) –  MarylandJuly 26, 2016
The work environment was good at first then the management (more so the GM) became odd. They would expect 2 people to open or close when the store is HUGE! Props to the sales team that kept the store clean and organized. I just wish the management got themselves together and actually communicated EFFECTIVELY. Other than that, great people to be around!
Pros
Incentives, Free dinner/lunch if big event, raises
Cons
Management organization
Not A Good Company
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 31, 2016
I have nothing good to say this company does not have growth within and its not a secured place of employment. I would not recommend this place for employment to anyone.
Pros
Cons
everything

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Goodwill of Greater Washington. Our community is ready to answer.