Goodwill of Southwestern Pennsylvania Employee Reviews

The place is going nowhere and down the drain
SHELTER MONITOR (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 4, 2016
My work experience after 1.5 years: Working @ a homeless shelter you're thinking @ first you are helping people and it was the complete opposite. One thing about this company is that the rules and how work is performed is never consistent. The SUPERVISOR is very incompetent, immature and doesn't do anything but is more than willing to take credit for work they did not do. 2nd, the clients are just taking advantage of the goodness of people hearts who's actually has a bleeding heart for aiding those in need. I would measure the advance as far as standing on a stool. Plus, it use to bother me seeing the same people coming back all the time and no one took time or resources to move w/ someone else who can be an excellent product of the place and what it stood for. Believe as a so called Shelter Monitor the pay isn't great and it isn't worth the headache. I would strongly suggest looking for another job within the company or better. If you're competent, intellectual, and ideal person you'll see that potential is being wasted rather quickly.
Pros
Free Lunches, good for students working at night doing homework, the people who work upstairs are good people especially the guy who runs the place
Cons
Lazy Supervisor/hypocrite
not a fun place to work they use you and treat you bad
driver (Former Employee) –  northversaills paNovember 24, 2015
Worked at northversaills and at DC in northhuntingdon before moving to the new DC in northversaills we moved there to have so much room and make it better that was wrong dirty dusty hot cold one bathroom in back for like 30 to 40 workers to use sucky pay if you don't kiss management butt you won't get any where if your a favorite you can get away with what you want that includes getting a better pay or raise other words you are a nobody all you do is pickup peoples donations for them to throw over half in trash
Pros
non low pay and 5 cent raise for the year
Cons
alot if your a favorite
Former Management Position-N. Versailles Outlet
Lead Supervisor (Former Employee) –  N Versailles, PANovember 13, 2015
Changing tables on the hour--changing table on the 1/2 hour--hectic...some not all employees complied--probably one oh those who reviewed and said talking to co-workers was a perk.

Don't be mislead--it is a dirty-dusty-hot and cold environment.

You are there to work--and they want nothing less than that.
Pros
for mgmnt OT out the wahzoo
Cons
employees that were lackadaisical., they would just wander off--but then again it was hot and very miserable in the warehouse
first internship
Accounting Intern (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 28, 2015
gain understanding of accounting job and get to know non-profit industry
nice people, on-hand experiences, unpaid, less career development opportunities
Enjoyed working witb individuals with disabillities, but there are many problems in their system.
Dissability Servoces (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 25, 2015
This company hires, and promotes people based upon friendships not skill. I enjoyed working and helping the clients who work there, but it often felt that the consumers true potential was restricted in order to keep the clients there so that the money or units for each individual didnt go away. In house training isnt good because it creates greed more than good workers. I believe an individual should learn a skill get proficiant in it, and then use that skill in a comunity based session. Goodwill keeps its clients there for years regardless of the changing rules in the legislature, they find ways to keep people with potental for comunity employment bottled up to keep the money / units coming in. Supervisors are very imature, they are good at backstabbing, and definately talk behind everyones back on a daily basis. Stay away!
Pros
Helping individuals improve their lives through work related activities.
Cons
little oportunities for advancement, supervisors who dont know what they are doing, Making promises that are not kept.
Started good, but went downhill
Production Processor (Former Employee) –  Monroeville, PAJuly 24, 2015
When I first started working at the Goodwill, everything was great. Then about a year after I started the rule changes started happening. They were ridiculous. Management was poor and none of the higher ups actually cared about the employees. The hardest part of the job was when we were understaffed because everyone got fired or quit under pressure. Running around doing a ton of things because there was no one else to do them only to be paid a measly amount.
Amazing experience and gratifying work
JOB COACH/1-on-1/job coach trainer (Former Employee) –  52nd Butler Street, Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 18, 2015
I absolutely loved working with all the clients and co-workers at Goodwill of SWPA.
I had gone over and beyond requirements. I was a very strong advocator for all the individuals with disabilities. I kept excellent communication and had great work relationship with client's case manager/worker and ISP. I also had recreated all paperwork documentation templates that are still being used.
Pros
great clientele base, knowledgeable mentor co-workers
Cons
the politic base cut in with job cutting, not the greatest benefits
Fun, tough, learned a great deal.
Top Donation door man (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 26, 2014
Loaded and unloaded trucks for the GoodWill store. Worked with and helped customers who were looking for donations to take home as well as helped the customers when they would donate items/products to the store. Also answered donors' questions regarding the tax write-off for their respected donations.
Pros
worked with multiple great individuals
a great place to work
Production Processor (Former Employee) –  North Huntingdon, PAFebruary 1, 2014
You get a good feeling to help people find items they need. The co-workers are great. The benefits is alright. The hardest part of the job was to figure out between women's small and children larges. The best part about the job was the other workers and the customers that goes through the doors daily.
To create a team working enviroment to achieve sales and excellant customer service.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVJanuary 22, 2014
During my employment with Goodwill I was able to train and evaluate the work of clients and working staff to help them meet their full potential to go out into the working field on their own. Worked together to create jobs where staff wanted to work.
Pros
discounts for staff
Cons
insurance for both full and part time.
Quality of Life for people with barriers
Case Worker (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 18, 2014
Have great compassion in working with people with barriers to obtain employment to be successful part of our working community.
Great work place
E-books associate (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 2, 2013
This is a great place to work. I am part of a great team that is self reliant and full of strong, but great personalities. We all work together with minimal supervision, but have great managers that are there to support us in times that it is necessary. Management is always there to lend a hand or grant requests when we need it. Everyone gets along like family and supports each other. We are responsible for getting as many books placed on our website as possible, as well as putting them through our elimination process to see if they are able to be sold online, or it they would be more suited to be sold in our outlet location. Presently we are all being trained on the resurfacing machine and we are also responsible for assisting in shipping out our products. We have to have basic computer skills and manage our time accordingly.
Pros
positive work force, great hours, flexible schedule, great managers
Cons
short breaks, low pay
Goodwill as a whole is a wonderful organization that does valuable work.
Loyal Employee (Former Employee) –  OffsiteOctober 5, 2012
That being said, there are many different sites across the county and city where Goodwill employees work depending on the contract. The offsite locations are not nearly as visible and have a lot more autonomy which can be good and bad.

There were many issues at the offsite location where I worked. Weak management at one time leading to a laissez-faire atmosphere to management that was a micro-manager. Interestingly the lack of professional boundaries, subtle racism- perhaps it was more favoritism, bullying from management as well as peer to peer didn't improve through the very different management styles but for the most part got worse.

I did try to make changes prior to leaving but it didn't solve anything. I made sure that my exit interview was not typical but included several members of management where I went over the multiples issues- there are more than listed above.

I would work for Goodwill again but not in the same capacity. Additionally, I would speak up much more quickly if I saw the same unhealthy and unprofessional situations begin to form.
Pros
lots of downtime, flexible with needing time off for the most part.
Cons
see below. lack of professional development.
A very compassionate organization.
EARN Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 1, 2012
The most enjoyable part of my job was the daily interaction with my clients, it contributed to my clients trusting me which in return gave me good positive outcomes for reports and evaluations.
Pros
employer support
Cons
getting layer off
FUN PLACE TO WORK AND SOCIALIZE
Warehouse worker (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 17, 2012
FUN AND EASY,I LEARNED TO WORK TOGETHER WITH OTHER EMPLOYEES. MANAGEMENT WAS FAIR,CO WORKERS EASY TO GET ALONG WITH.THERE WAS NOTHING HARD ABOUGHT WORKING THERE.TALKING WITH CO WORKERS.
All of my time has been spent working in the PA CareerLink. Both of these organizations have proven to be exceptional employers.
PA CareerLink Specialist Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 19, 2012
My typical day includes providing two 2-hour job readiness workshops & assisting customers as they navigate our database of employment opportunities.

This position has really taught me to be patient with computer illiterate customers.

The management team encouraged working independent of micro managing.

My co-workers provide exemplary customer service

The hardest part of the job are customers who are technology challenged

The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the light come on from customers who have benefited from the information in my workshops.
Pros
consistent technology upgrades
Cons
lack of adequate number of staff