Goodwill of the Heartland Employee Reviews

Rock Island Store former employee.
back room help. donations ect. (Current Employee) –  Rock Island ILMarch 11, 2013
This was the worst job I have ever had!! For many reasons. first You have to deal With the main manager who is unpredictable. She plays favorites, and talks badly about emplyees to other employees. If she is in a bad mood or just mad at you for no reason she will completely ignore you and any questions you have. You will be taught how to do the same job different by every supervisor. You stand at a table all day grabbing filthy clothes full of stains, dirt, animal hair, and even blood. just to find a "good" piece to tag and hang. again every supervisor will agree or disagree with the article you choose. if you enjoy being constantly picked on, carrying heavy boxes beds chairs ect. from peoples cars. then digging thru basically there garbage. then you will fit in. Oh I cant forget to mention the sewing circle of women who whisper gossip and snicker directly to your face. HORRIBLE ATMOSPHERE! If your willing to put up with these conditions for $10.50 Your a better person than I. This job caused me foot and back pain. Anxiety and alot of neck aches from shaking my darn head. Take my honest advice and do not apply for this job. Not worth it!! Oh and there open 4th of july, memorial day, Vets day, New Years eve ect. I have one good thing to say, the customers were mostly nice and if not nice entertaining watching them try and change price tags and fight over the line.
Pros
job
Cons
everything!
Job Coach
Job Coach (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAApril 22, 2015
Job coaching fulfills the mission of the company however job coaches are the least appreciated employees in the company. They are required to be available for scheduling days, nights, weekends and even holidays. You often get your schedule at the last minute so it's difficult to make any plans with your family or for social events. Most days you are scheduled back to back with clients leaving little to no time for a break/lunch. You are "required" to help the clients perform their job duties which is more than just job coaching as your title states. Communication within the company is extremely poor and the job coaches do not feel like they are a apart of the team and upper management is aware of this.
To top it all off job coaches only make $13-14 hr and work their butts off, while the employment specialists make $20 hr and don't always have a full case load.
Pros
working with clients
Cons
poor communication among staff, overworked, underpaid, no structure, no breaks
A great company that got too big too fast
Job Trainer (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IASeptember 16, 2015
Goodwill of the Heartland is a great company, and used to be really strong. It was among the Top 100 workplaces in Iowa for 2 years in a row recently. However, things are changing. The company is growing, which is wonderful, but has resulted in losing the personal touch that used to exist among employees and senior leadership. It feels like there's a wall there now, and I personally no longer feel like a valued employee. My direct supervisor is the most understanding I've ever had regarding balancing life and work, and pretty much everyone here is amazing to work with. There has, however, been a lot of changes within my department and I no longer have any job security whatsoever.
Goodwill day hab davenport
day habilitation trainer (Former Employee) –  davenport iaApril 17, 2013
I just got fired as a temp there and now their making it full time non temporary and making more money are you kidding me I got fired on some bogus reason don't work there you can get assaulted and say you wanna press charges and you can't cause its against their policies.
Pros
help people with disabilities
Cons
no break programming is hard to learn set you up for failure
Not A Great Place To Work
Production Clerk (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAAugust 4, 2015
Fired for taking maternity leave, said no doctors note or documents were needed over 7 times when asked, they then waited 2 weeks into the leave to call and ask for one from the 1st day I left. A lot of drama, managers are rude, over worked,favoritism & the head manager isn't fit for her position... she thinks she's better then everyone!
great place to work. crew is a team, fun to work with.
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAMarch 30, 2012
the crew and management were fun and helpful, a true team effort. management worked as hard and harder at times than employees. right there beside you most of the time. ensured everyone got their breaks even if it meant they took their place. they earned my loyalty and my respect and being a former Marine, loyalty came easy respect was earned.
Pros
fun team environment, work hard, play hard.
Cons
patience, is, required
A good place to work
Retail Associate (Current Employee) –  Rock Island, ILJanuary 16, 2013
A typical day involves stocking display floor, assisting customers, and recieving donations. Ilearned more about retail operations.The managers are fair and good at their jobs. Co-workers are very good. The hardest part for me is being on my feet and moving the entire shift. Dealing with the customers is the best part of the job.
Pros
break every 2 hours
Cons
evening and weekend hours. janitorial aspects. limited hours
Productive and fun place to work for.
Production Clerk (Former Employee) –  Bettendorf, IAJanuary 29, 2013
Everyone was very easy to get along with which made the job more enjoyable to go to. We all worked together as a team to get every job done which is why we were the number one store several years in a row and we hit 2 million dollars last year which is amazing. The managers are awesome. They work right along with you and very approachable.
Great teamwork within the retail work environment
Retail Job Trainer (Current Employee) –  Burlington, IAJuly 20, 2015
I teach prevocational skills to persons with a wide range of disabilities. I can adapt my training skills to meet the needs of each individual. The best part of my job is seeing the success each individual has. The hardest part of my job is dealing with the politics that come with working with government agencies.
Pros
flexability with teaching techniques
Cons
unavailable assitance when needed
pocket change
Retail Associate/Production (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAJanuary 17, 2014
I worked off and on for this company in the VAs' HVRP program..worked 12 hours a week n pay twice a month...good for pocket change
Pros
improve work ethic and give unlimited customer satisfaction
Cons
they screwed up my two checks this last time i worked and i lost money

Want to know more about Goodwill of the Heartland?

Ask a question
Busy well managed store
Stock clerk (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAJuly 17, 2013
Recieve donations,process,price and stock items. Learned how to work with team and give good patron service.Management hard working and efficent.Co-workers helpfull team players.Hardest part of job giving good patron services while meeting producion goals.Most enjoyable part interacting with patrons and co-workers
Pros
regular stable hours
Fun, social, room for advancement and lots of personal growth and development.
Production Clerk (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAJuly 21, 2015
I loved working for Goodwill of the Heartland. With this company you have many opportunities to work with different sorts of clients. I enjoyed the hours, the attire, the compensation, the benefits, and the fast paced/busy work environment. I would recommend to anyone.
Productive and fun work environment
Production Clerk (Current Employee) –  Moline, ILOctober 16, 2012
Typical day at work starts with stretching and getting your station ready- making sure you have all tools needed to do the job- Every station requires you to produce- either soft or hard goods.
Pros
goodwills mission is valuable to the community
Cons
compensation
work
Production Clerk (Former Employee) –  Bettendorf, IASeptember 23, 2015
My typical day is getting on 2 buses to get to work and for 3 - 4 hours 3 days a week i put inventory in the store and maintain a clean store and good customer service.
Pros
meeting new people daily
Cons
it was a temp job
Awesome Opportunity
Retail Associate (Current Employee) –  Davenport, IAFebruary 5, 2016
The HVRP program for veterans has been an awesome opportunity to not only improve on hard and soft skills, but also work within a community of fellow workers who are amazing..
Pros
both fellow workers and patrons
Cons
HVRP only allows 12 hours a week
Not working nights
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Clinton, IAJuly 24, 2013
For veterans and people with disabilites they are awfull, if a vet you work only 8 weeks for 7.25 an hour but they will hire someone else and pay them 11.00 a hour.
Fulfilling work with a purpose
Assistant Store Manager/DOL Retail Job Trainer (Current Employee) –  Clinton, IASeptember 16, 2015
Goodwill of the Heartland provides excellent compensation to work in a meaningful career helping others. The culture of the workplace is the best I've seen in any workplace.
Fun and friendly with good pay, excellant management
Production Clerk (Former Employee) –  Moline, ILOctober 8, 2015
Helpful co workers, hard working management, good pay. Ability to advance. Fast paced retail environment and I enjoyed working with customers
Cons
Late nights and manatory weekends
They have a good program for the Disabled and Veterans
Retail Associate (Current Employee) –  Rock Island, ILMay 15, 2014
My experience with the company alone is that they helped me overcome from being homeless and jobless.
Customer Servive
Retail Associate (Current Employee) –  Bettendorf, IAOctober 19, 2015
Customer Service helping customers find certain items.
Co-worker was very helpful.
Dealing with customers.
Answering questions and getting feedback/