Goodwin House

Goodwin House Employer Reviews

A Day in the Life of a Prep-Cook
Prep Cook (Former Employee), Alexandria, VAAugust 1, 2014
Pros: excellent experience in cooking, strong team members, friendly work environment, free lunches.
Working at Goodwin House, I noticed that the commitment to high quality standards was not the only commitment made by working there. The commitment to working for each other was what made my experience in Goodwin House's Dining Services department so worthwhile. As a beginner in the field of cooking, I worked my hardest to learn everything I could to – more... be of use to my team (head chef, replaced by head chef Campbell, Lead cooks Howard and Nerissa) who supported me through every struggle and accomplishment I had. From guidance and support, to critiques on my creations, my coworkers helped me to become a valuable asset to the team. My work quickly improved thanks to their help, and my duties expanded from serving plates and checking labels to preparation of entrees and side dishes (and my favorite, omelets).

On an ordinary day, I would start my shift at 4 o'clock. I would begin by helping to prepare the serving line where food servers would bring table orders for me to serve up. After preparing the line, I would begin assisting with loading food carts, taking temperature sheets, and ensuring that there were plenty of bread rolls in the warmer. At dinner time, coordination was key. As the line server, I had to coordinate with servers to get meals out the door with the food in the best condition. I also had to coordinate with coworkers at food prep tables to replenish the lines food before we ran out of anything and delayed a residents meal. Upon closing, my duties were to clean up the line, help prepare food for the next day, and check the walk-in fridge for correct food labels and expiration dates. Expired food would obviously be unacceptable, so ensuring we only kept the highest quality food in the walk-in was paramount.

The hardest part about this job was ensuring that I kept my head straight and cool, a fast paced environment is the breeding ground for disaster. However, by staying calm and collected, coordinating these tasks was a breeze. After all, a team environment requires team members to stay cool and to communicate effectively, otherwise if one person is in a bad mood, the whole team will be affected. As a team, we identified tasks and potential problems, established how we would handle the problems, and dealt with it. As I said before, the commitment was not only to the quality of service, but also to each other. That is what I loved most about my job at Goodwin House, the team was like a second family. – less
productive and fun work place.
Server (Former Employee), Alexandria, VAJuly 31, 2014
A typical day at work was busy and productive. I learned alot that can help me better understand and grow in my field. The hardest part of the job was leaving. I met so many good people. I enjoyed every aspect of the position.
Productive and Educational Environment
Volunteer/Training Work (Former Employee), Alexandria VAFebruary 27, 2014
Pros: excellent assisted senior environment
Cons: healtcare
Experience was rewarding as well as education working with geriatic residents. CNA staff was very nurturing and provided excellent direction and advice. Most enjoyable experience was working one on one with the residents learning about their past and current experiences and challenges.
My knowledge and expertise as a property technician at a nursing home
Maintenance Specialist (Former Employee), Arlington, VAJuly 14, 2013
Pros: can complete projects on property with great precision
Cons: long hours sometimes
Keeping up the maintenece and security of the property. Operations in the building ran smoothly
productive environment
Cafe server (Former Employee), Alexandria, VAMay 21, 2013
Pros: free food and beverages
Cons: no money a few rude people
I learned prep takes a lot of time and attention to detail, areas have to be cleaned properly and you are not allowed to touch your face and must wash your hands.
A very supportive and nice place to work
nursing supervisor (Former Employee), ALEXANDRIA VAAugust 17, 2012
Pros: learning new things everyday
Cons: when not appreciated by pt.
A normal work day for me starts a 0900 at prince william hospital ED is basically working with different levels of emmergancies anyway from gunshot wounds, fractures, ETOH to cutting rings from fingers. Most of my co-workers are very supportive and the hardest part of my job is when i can not figure out a pt. the most enjoyable part of my job is the – more... different situations that i get to deal with everyday – less
Productive workplace
Front Desk Rcptionist (Current Employee), Alexandria, VAJune 11, 2012
Goodwin House is a very warm and welcoming place to to work the people here are very nice and helpful
Its a wonderful place to work.
Lead Cook Supervisor (Current Employee), Falls Church, VAMay 29, 2012
*Creating great dishes for the residents to enjoy.
*I learned that if you really want to move up in the company u can and will if you really want to move up.
*Management is not that good.
*co-workers lack in motivation
*The hardest part of the job is getting people to do there job.
* The most enjoyable part of the job is talking with the residents.

Goodwin House Photos