Goodwin House Employee Reviews

Goodwin House is a Five star facility making me very proud to work there.
Certified Nurse Aide (Former Employee) –  VirginiaAugust 22, 2017
Goodwin House is a Five star facility making me very proud to work for this organization. I look forward to working at Goodwin house again if i happens to return to Virginia.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
They care about my future.
Dining Services Catering Manager (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJuly 30, 2017
this company has given me many opportunities to expand on many of my skill sets via training/classes/autonomy in my role. very professional and friendly.
Pros
Great environment. advancement. benefits. fair pay. friendly residents.
No fun
Cook (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJuly 29, 2017
• Prepared specialized meals at an assisted living facility serving 400 full-time residents.
• Delivered daily lunch and dinner service focused on entrees with vegetables, fish, poultry, beef, pork.
• Created specialized meals, including sugar free, reduced sodium, gluten free, and low fat options.
I.T. Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJuly 24, 2017
My experience here at Goodwin House has been great, I like the people that I work with. I like the residents. They are always planning something fun for everyone. they have a great work life balance. and they are always learning and growing.
Pros
$3 lunches, low stress, good work life balance
Cons
At least for my department their isn't much room for advancement
Excellent Place to Work
Charge Nurse, RN (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJuly 16, 2017
Goodwin house is an excellent place to work. The facility is beautiful and clean. The working environment is friendly, almost like a family. Many people have worked there for years. Management is good, everyone is willing to help. The residents are the best part of the job. There are frequent call offs and the usual industry short staffing, the only downside of the job. There is room to grow and advance into other roles within the company. If I moved back to the area, I would go back to work for the company for sure!
Productive and nice place to work
Staffing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Falls Church, VAJune 22, 2017
Great place to work! Efficient organizational structure, great management. Work as a team to meet the needs of the residents. The only downside is we don't have many interdepartmental activities and events to get to know employees outside of department.
Provides basic nursing care:
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAMay 28, 2017
Preform routine vitals signs, meal trays, leaning my residents and managements staff, strong work ethic and team player, hardest (none), enjoy working;
Incredible Place to work
Assistant Director of Nursing (Current Employee) –  Falls Church, VAMay 27, 2017
Goodwin House Bailey's Crossroads (GHBC) is a phenomenal place to work. The facility is beautifully appointed and well-maintained. The senior leadership team is innovative, progressive, compassionate and attentive. Everyone is smiling and friendly and it is truly a joy to come to work every day.

As busy as it can get at times, there is never a sense of chaos or disorganization. The staff love the residents and it truly shows in their care and concern.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
some pf the workplace culture is ambiguous.
My First Job
Server, Cashier (Former Employee) –  Baileys Crossroads, VAApril 25, 2017
Management was Good. There was a Lady Manager There She Was Older and She Was Very Racist So I Reported Her And She Apologized to me and was also placed on suspension. I loved my team there we were all young and had goals and everybody worked together I would go work there now I swear I would. the residence brightened my heart just as much too1
Managenment is terrible!
Dining Room Server (Former Employee) –  Bailey's Crossroads, VAApril 22, 2017
Good pay and benefits but I feel like it is not worth it, because the managenment seems nice but they play a lot preferences and also if you made a mistake they will keep yelling at you and reminding you how you don't deserve to work with them when they called you to their office. Also you have to push them a lot to get them to work with your schedule.
Pros
Managenment, schedule
Benefits
Fun work place
SERVER/HOSTESS (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAMarch 23, 2017
It was good team building and a place where you were treated like family. It was a good place to start as a part-time worker because the hours were right after school and the hours were flexible.
Strange place
Nurse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Goodwin House AlexandriaJanuary 3, 2017
Leadership and management is lacking at this place. Hang around for a day and there is a new healthcare model and structure. Not sure what this organization values.... but it's not what most employers do.
Pros
people seem nice
Cons
things are not as they seem
Dining services
Server (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VADecember 13, 2016
This place is a great place to work. Dining services employee are great. All the managers are nice but they play favoritism, especially the females. They are a bunch of hypocrites. With all that money they are making, they can't even serve these nice resident clean utensils. Apart from that, the residents are cool.
The mangers are not even organized. Bailey crossroads is so much better and much more organized and they are more serious than Alexandria
Pros
Cool residents
Cons
Bad management
nice place to work
CNA (Former Employee) –  Falls Church, VAJuly 26, 2016
I had hands on experience on all the CNA knowledge I learned on book. The facility is nice and clean, well maintained. Supervisors are friendly and helpful.
great for clinical
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Falls Church, VAJanuary 14, 2016
didn't actually work here this is were i had my clinicals, before i became certified. It was a great place i really learned a lot while being here, the CNA's where very helpful.
Cna
Certified Nurse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VASeptember 26, 2015
I had a great experience working with this company. This company had great growing potential and support to further my education.
My Workplace
Licensed Practical Nurse (Charge Nurse) (Current Employee) –  Alexandria V.AAugust 6, 2015
Every time I am at work I learned how precious life is. My job is to make sure my patient are comfortable and free of pain. I enjoy working with different cultures. T
he hardest part of my job is to keep my staff and my patient safe at all times.
Pros
Goodwin house offer school tuition assistant.
Cons
Goodwin house don't hire new graduate.
well maintained building, computerized nursing notes, supplies available
Registered Nurse - Charge Nurse (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAAugust 4, 2015
nice place to work. Busy but not overwhelming patient load, great co-workers. Most enjoyable is getting to know the residents. Most unenjoyable is constant interruption while doing the medication passes and documentation.
Pros
great benefits, nice co-workers
Cons
interruptions
Well organized and clean
In-Room Dining Server (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAApril 9, 2015
They made sure that their residents are well taken cared of, they make sure they have their meals ready on time and well prepared. They are very friendly
A Day in the Life of a Prep-Cook
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAAugust 1, 2014
Working at Goodwin House, I noticed that the commitment to high quality standards was not the only commitment made by working there. The commitment to working for each other was what made my experience in Goodwin House's Dining Services department so worthwhile. As a beginner in the field of cooking, I worked my hardest to learn everything I could to be of use to my team (head chef, replaced by head chef Campbell, Lead cooks Howard and Nerissa) who supported me through every struggle and accomplishment I had. From guidance and support, to critiques on my creations, my coworkers helped me to become a valuable asset to the team. My work quickly improved thanks to their help, and my duties expanded from serving plates and checking labels to preparation of entrees and side dishes (and my favorite, omelets).

On an ordinary day, I would start my shift at 4 o'clock. I would begin by helping to prepare the serving line where food servers would bring table orders for me to serve up. After preparing the line, I would begin assisting with loading food carts, taking temperature sheets, and ensuring that there were plenty of bread rolls in the warmer. At dinner time, coordination was key. As the line server, I had to coordinate with servers to get meals out the door with the food in the best condition. I also had to coordinate with coworkers at food prep tables to replenish the lines food before we ran out of anything and delayed a residents meal. Upon closing, my duties were to clean up the line, help prepare food for the next day, and check the walk-in fridge for correct food labels
  more... and expiration dates. Expired food would obviously be unacceptable, so ensuring we only kept the highest quality food in the walk-in was paramount.

The hardest part about this job was ensuring that I kept my head straight and cool, a fast paced environment is the breeding ground for disaster. However, by staying calm and collected, coordinating these tasks was a breeze. After all, a team environment requires team members to stay cool and to communicate effectively, otherwise if one person is in a bad mood, the whole team will be affected. As a team, we identified tasks and potential problems, established how we would handle the problems, and dealt with it. As I said before, the commitment was not only to the quality of service, but also to each other. That is what I loved most about my job at Goodwin House, the team was like a second family.
Pros
Excellent experience in cooking, strong team members, friendly work environment, free lunches.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Goodwin House. Our community is ready to answer.