Google Employee Reviews

San Francisco is not Mountainview
Member of Technical Staff (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 11, 2017
Many of the perks you will hear about are only in Mountainview. San Francisco is growing but has limited perks and opportunities in comparison. Recruiters may not even mention the San Francisco office even if working in the city is important to you. You may have to ask about it.
Very fun enviornment.
Contractor (Former Employee) –  1100 eisenhower ann arborJanuary 11, 2017
Quarterly bonuses given. Could listen to music and the hours were very versatile. The company even bought lunch every month for all its employees. Very sad it was only a 24 month assignment.😞
Pros
Had free food every single day treated their employees with dignity and respect
Cons
Not longer than 24 months
SDI was acquired by IMS
Database Analyst (Former Employee) –  Plymouth Meeting, PAJanuary 5, 2017
At SDI I really enjoyed being an employee there and learned so much about payer, prescriber, and patients. I worked there when applications became live online and my coworkers were easy to get along with and very nice it was a great place to work at.
Google: smart people, but jerks
Software Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Kirkland, WAJanuary 4, 2017
Google is full of smart people, and they know it. The compensation and the perks (on-site meals, gym, etc) are amazing, but I think it's the only thing keeping people here because most of your coworkers are jerks.
Developer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 2, 2017
You will not be disappointed. Google is one the top company's to work for and they will take care of you. You will be flexible with the schedule and much more.
Excellent place to work
Video Producer/Photographer (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CADecember 30, 2016
I can only speak for working in Google X, but it was hands down one of the best experiences of my life. It was an unforgettable time with the most inspiring people and projects. Extremely challenging at times, but very rewarding knowing you're contributing to really great products/experiences.
Intern experience at Google
Intern (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CADecember 29, 2016
Great place to work at. Great work life balance and challenging work. I learned how to operate in a very large code base, and learned how to test code and write readable code.
Pros
Free Lunches
Fast Pace Environment
Store Operator (Former Employee) –  Various LocationsDecember 28, 2016
Everyone were hard workers and the typical day was very busy. The hardest part of the job was working within a daily time-frame. I learned how to work warehouse.
Sales operator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 26, 2016
Wasn't really a good life balance between work school and family life. I wish I could of gotten more out of working for google, and put more importance into my family life.
Great place to learn and grow
Technical Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 26, 2016
Very hectic and high paced environment. Lots of perks to keep in in the office as long as possible. Work/life balance could use improvement. Corporate culture is great, but office culture is very entitled and fraternity-like. People create a lot of distractions and don't seem very career focused.
Pros
free food, flexible hours
Cons
no remote working, high stress
Excellent culture, great products, but watch out if you're a contract employee
CAD Manager (Current Employee) –  Mountain View, CADecember 25, 2016
While I highly recommend taking a job at Google if one is offered to you, I would proceed with caution if you are a contract worker (or "TVC"). There are certain perks and company functions you're not allowed to enjoy, but the biggest caution is that Google is only allowed to keep a temp on for two years. If your contract is renewed after the first year, great. But if they don't hire you on as permanent by the time the second year comes around, start looking for a new gig. In theory, you can be re-hired as a TVC if you are out of the company for a minimum of three months, but I've never seen that happen.

Again, great job (and free food), but don't expect it to last longer than two years if you are hired as a contract worker.
Pros
Culture, highly innovative products
Cons
Gig as a contract worker will be two years maximum.
Google
Operations Lead at Google (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 22, 2016
As a contractor, you see almost as many benefits as an FTE, as long as your willing to work for them. Your job is not as secure as a contractor, however its because so many people would love to have the position. If you're willing to work hards, correctly and as a team then you will absolutely succeed within this company.
Fun workplace, welcoming
Production Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CADecember 21, 2016
Worked here for a few months and enjoyed the people I met and worked with, really happy they opened their arms to me. Everyone was willing to teach me and I hope to learn and work more with them in the future.
Incredibly Caring Management Devoted to Employees Growth both Personally and Professionally
Account Executive/Sales (Current Employee) –  Mountain View, CADecember 21, 2016
I'm so grateful to be working at Google. The team I work on is scrappy, entrepreneurial and has the freedom to take risks and fail. People managers at Google take immense pride in developing their teams both professionally and personally. My manager constantly reminds us that family comes first and the company backs this sentiment with plenty of creative benefits geared towards women, and family alike. My teammates are not only some of the most intelligent people I have worked with, but they are caring and have become lifelong friends.
Pros
Benefits, flexibility, personal and professional development, resources
Cons
Cost of living in the Bay Area
A unique experience and I gained a lot of insight
Student (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 18, 2016
I loved being able to work with Google as well as a local business within Philadelphia. I learned a lot about Google and how it works as well as interesting facts about Philadelphia.
A great place to work, if you're willing to dedicate your life
People Programs Specialist (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CADecember 14, 2016
The best part of the company is the teams you'll have the opportunity to work for. My team was among the greatest group of individuals I've ever met and I feel immensely fortunate to have been able to get to know them.

The company as a whole is also ripe with opportunities and is just a joy to be able to be a part of. From the good that is done in the world, to the amazing products you get to be a part of - it's hard not to be impressed.

Departmental politics would be Google's Achilles heal. I felt that often times great products or teams felt the arbitrary wrath that is department leads fighting for resources.

On the whole, the day to day and the long term are really great, but some years can be a bit of a grind. The biggest concern would be trying to carve out enough time for life with your family while also trying to work enough to stand out.
Pros
Perk, Compensation, Great Teams
Cons
Politics of a growing and maturing conglomerate
Senior Manager, Strategic Sourcing (Current Employee) –  Mountain View, CADecember 14, 2016
I enjoy the challenges that my management offers me and the freedom in how I get my work done. Co-workers are collaborative and great to work with. Benefits are terrific and food is awesome.
Cool projects to work on
Student Developer (Former Employee) –  RemoteDecember 13, 2016
Very good experience. Good stipend, good work satisfaction, you can work on the projects you are passionate about. Very good mentorship and direction.
Pros
Good Stipend
Cons
No cons
You will never find a better place to work
Rep (Former Employee) –  Monroeville, PADecember 12, 2016
All the crazy things you read about google, like having put put in their offices etc are true, if you can get in do it, because you will never ever again enjoy and experience a job like this in your life.
Pros
everything
Cons
nonce
Fun place
Information Technology Technician (Current Employee) –  Venice, CADecember 11, 2016
Great place to work fun people no job security poor management free food all day juice bar food trucks come sometimes team oriented somewhat great fruit

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Google. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3