Google Employee Reviews

A great place to work, if you're willing to dedicate your life
People Programs Specialist (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CADecember 14, 2016
The best part of the company is the teams you'll have the opportunity to work for. My team was among the greatest group of individuals I've ever met and I feel immensely fortunate to have been able to get to know them.

The company as a whole is also ripe with opportunities and is just a joy to be able to be a part of. From the good that is done in the world, to the amazing products you get to be a part of - it's hard not to be impressed.

Departmental politics would be Google's Achilles heal. I felt that often times great products or teams felt the arbitrary wrath that is department leads fighting for resources.

On the whole, the day to day and the long term are really great, but some years can be a bit of a grind. The biggest concern would be trying to carve out enough time for life with your family while also trying to work enough to stand out.
Pros
Perk, Compensation, Great Teams
Cons
Politics of a growing and maturing conglomerate
Incredibly Caring Management Devoted to Employees Growth both Personally and Professionally
Account Executive/Sales (Current Employee) –  Mountain View, CADecember 21, 2016
I'm so grateful to be working at Google. The team I work on is scrappy, entrepreneurial and has the freedom to take risks and fail. People managers at Google take immense pride in developing their teams both professionally and personally. My manager constantly reminds us that family comes first and the company backs this sentiment with plenty of creative benefits geared towards women, and family alike. My teammates are not only some of the most intelligent people I have worked with, but they are caring and have become lifelong friends.
Pros
Benefits, flexibility, personal and professional development, resources
Cons
Cost of living in the Bay Area
Stable and Consistent Work
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Mountain View, CASeptember 28, 2016
For those who are still trying to determine what to do with their careers, this would be a beneficial position to keep you financially afloat until that is figured out. A typical day consists of being very slow in the early morning and picking up the pace during the lunch period. The focus is to ensure the satisfaction and comfort of Google employees, whether it is giving them medical attention, helping them find a lost item, or doing activities more behind the scenes that they are unaware of. There really is no difficult part of the job, the coworkers and supervisors are wonderful, and human interaction is the best part, as well as being a part of a lively culture.
Pros
Free meals and snacks, great benefits
Cons
Not room for advancement in this specific department
A lot of perks and benefits, no work-life balance
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  DublinNovember 21, 2016
A lot of very smart people, with great ideas and the drive to innovate and make an impact.
Many top performers advance to manager but often don't have people skills, nor the vocation to manage people. This is a problem management should address.
Pros
A lot of benefits and free services
Cons
The perks and benefits are designed to make you never leave the office. No work-life balance.
Productive work environment
Equipment Maintenance Technician / Astreya (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 14, 2016
A regular day for me is mostly busy ... receiving putting accessories into camp and Guts tickets . I'm on my feet 80% of the day due to Inventory as well as prepping task tickets. Management is pretty good no one over your back to micro manage. I have a hard working team . We work together and get the job done. The hardest part of my day i would say would be receiving pallets and putting them into google camp at the same time..
Pros
Free Lunch, perks
Cons
Salary
Great job - not much opportunity for growth
NYC Field Operations Lead (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 1, 2016
My initial role involved geospatial data collection. It was contract position and 80% travel. I was promoted multiple times there within my time there to Operations Lead. In this role I was in charge of the admin process and management of associates administering data collection throughout the United States, Australia, and some parts of Canada.The project was fairly new and underwent a major operational infrastructure change.
The most enjoyable aspect of the position were my team members and the travel opportunities early on. Most of the team members I managed were great people with great work ethic. I was also able to exercise my creativity and leadership abilities to grow myself into a better person.
The hardest part of job were the increasing demands of project performance with zero opportunity of incentive based compensation. There was very little work life balance, no bonuses, and it was often expressed to me no growth outside of the project.
Pros
Free lunches, Hotel perks, Travel
Cons
Bad work life balance, healthcare package
Fun. Brilliant employees. Great culture.
Campaign Performance Analyst / Consultant (Former Employee) –  Celebration, FLSeptember 7, 2016
I had 5 conversations with my manager in a year. never personal and very short. I learned everything from my coworkers. Google hires some of the most intelligent people I have ever had the pleasure to work with. The food is great and Google takes care of coworkers with excellent benefits and fun employee functions. The down fall is that job security is a big issue. Google is always looking for someone better and will have no concern with letting you go in a heartbeat.
Pros
free food, good benefits, great coworkers
Cons
lack of job security. pay i low as well for the average employee
Google
Operations Lead at Google (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 22, 2016
As a contractor, you see almost as many benefits as an FTE, as long as your willing to work for them. Your job is not as secure as a contractor, however its because so many people would love to have the position. If you're willing to work hards, correctly and as a team then you will absolutely succeed within this company.
Very cool and progressive work atmosphere
Senior Product Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CAAugust 31, 2016
Google is a wonderful place to work for because they really know how to take care of their employees. Google offers lots of work benefits such as free meals, shuttle, health and fitness activities, etc.

Google is also very active in the community sponsoring all sorts of community functions and causes. It is a model corporate citizen which promote global awareness and is very visible and sought after worldwide. The products and services are outstanding and the standards are very high. Very high caliber of talents.
Pros
very high-tech and very computer savvy young talents
Cons
could use more "seasoned" or older talents for balance
Was a very good job wish I still had it
Warehouse Lead (Former Employee) –  San Francisco Bay Area, CAFebruary 1, 2017
It was a great company who was the delivery service in a lot of people got what they needed without having to go to the store to buy it it was same day delivery some of the managers were a little racist but besides that it was a pretty good experience
Pros
Free food
Cons
No raises
Missing Key Data
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAAugust 5, 2016
We are usually always ahead of the time when it comes to consumer data, but commerce we only have access to 10% which is online, the other 90% is in store from the point of sale. Other companies like IBM are taking an aggressive approach to retrieving this data and we need to stay up to speed. Its good to hear we are in talks with point of sale companies. With access to the other 90% of missing data we can finally close the loop and 9x our revenue in advertising.
Pros
Flexible hours, great benefits, paid vacation days, etc.
Cons
I think often times we miss the big picture here, we need to interact more with the customer and we need more sales minded people.
Senior Manager, Strategic Sourcing (Current Employee) –  Mountain View, CADecember 14, 2016
I enjoy the challenges that my management offers me and the freedom in how I get my work done. Co-workers are collaborative and great to work with. Benefits are terrific and food is awesome.
Amazing place to work
Staffing Services Associate (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CAAugust 29, 2016
I worked on a contract at Google for 1.5 years and it was better than I could have imagined. Free food, free gym, great facilities, and amazing people. I would go back in a heart beat if there was a Philadelphia location.
Pros
Free breakfast/lunch/dinner, free onsite gym, great culture
Cons
No healthcare benefits to temps, temps not able to go to same events or participate in the same functions as full-time employees
great industrial computing environment
Operations Engineer (Lead) (Former Employee) –  Lenoir, NCJuly 17, 2016
-led people in projects and maintenance
-plenty of work to stay busy
-constant change
-management utilities for tracking all work to within 15 minutes
-finishing projects on time a plus
-repetitiveness of work a challenge
-understaffing for certain tasks problematic
-far too much content to learn; not enough time to learn it all
Pros
free lunches, amazing benefits, stock bonuses
Cons
temps, micro-managing, promotion process
Great for young people
Global Advertising Operations Associate (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MINovember 23, 2016
Fun working environment for young people.
Good benefits, compensation and company perks.
Encourages creativity and team work although most of daily communication is via computers and chat.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Dorm like environment
Google: smart people, but jerks
Software Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Kirkland, WAJanuary 4, 2017
Google is full of smart people, and they know it. The compensation and the perks (on-site meals, gym, etc) are amazing, but I think it's the only thing keeping people here because most of your coworkers are jerks.
Great Company
Manager, Human Resources (Former Employee) –  EMEANovember 10, 2016
A company with great culture, ability to constantly learn and develop, and add value to the business. World class perks and benefits, and top rated talent.
Great Place to Work
Program Manager Lead (Current Employee) –  Mountain View, CANovember 15, 2016
Great benefits, great place to explore ideas and work with some of the brightest and kind people on earth. Transfers encouraged which creates a lot of opportunities, etc.
wonderful experienc
Store Operator (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAAugust 30, 2016
working for google express was a wonderful experience its a good job to have with wonderful compensation an d benefits the advancement opportunities is phenomenal but job security is not as good as everything else
Leading example of work/life balance
ChromeOS Hardware Technician (Current Employee) –  Mountain View, CAApril 12, 2016
I've heard and seen many companies use the term work/life balance but only have I witnessed it here at Google. With the proper design and flexibility, they have managed to create an atmosphere of higher learning and constant evolution in the DRIVE to come to work.

It's not the benefits and pay (although that always helps) that make working here so great, its the feeling of wanting to come to work to achieve more. I've yet to encounter a single person who grips or complains about management or peers here. The collaboration and effort I see in the faces of co-workers and peers is unlike any place I've seen to date.

I'd have to say that my most challenging and fulfilling part of my job as a Hardware Test Technician, is that fact that there is ALWAYS something for me to improve on and I have the freedom and flexibility to choose.
Pros
You name it, they got it
Cons
Freedom to succeed and freedom to fail

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Google. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3