Google Employee Reviews in United States

Creative, fun, and progressive work environment
Operations Associate (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaMarch 31, 2016
It is exhilarating to walk into the Google X building everyday and do what we do. The self-driving car project is truly one of a kind and I would not trade the experience for anything. Although day to day duties and responsibilities are constantly shifting, management does a fantastic job of keeping our team together. The hardest part of our job is to face these constant changes and be able to adapt quickly to them. It is quite amazing how everyone on the team is able to learn on the go. I am proud to be a worker here.
Pros
free meals, massage chairs, great perks
Cons
no full benefits
Generally a great place to work
Operational Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAApril 4, 2016
Great place to work, unbelievable amenities, great salary and benefits better than ever expected. Co-workers were for the most part a lot of fun and very bright. Middle level managers many times were looking up instead of helping to push their employees along to further their careers. But still a great place to work.
Pros
Free food, ability to travel, nice folks
Cons
great expectations, mid-level managers not up to expectations
Good Pay, every single manager is unhappy
YouTube Partner (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJanuary 27, 2016
Sherwin-Williams has good pay and decent benefits however the work-life balance is poor, management is poor, and it trickles down. Every single manager in the district was not happy and the best ones have left or will leave to pursue much better opportunities. Good first job out of college.
Great company - chaotic and disconnected division/team
Curriculum Manager/Training Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CADecember 16, 2015
I worked for the Google Technical Consumer Support (gTech). While Google promotes several laudable characteristics - support for the individual, encouraging innovation and independent thinking - I did not witness this in my environment. There was much in-fighting - often erupting in open fights and crying. It was a very stressful and unpleasant work environment.
Pros
Great compensation package, on-site perks (lunches, massages, team events)
Cons
You'll need those perks because you'll never go home, team in-fighting, poor work/life balance
Great place to work but increasingly corporate
Business Development Lead (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 4, 2015
Google is a great place to work if you want job security and a high paying salary. Your team is usually a 6:1 ratio with manager. However given Google's growth, the company is increasingly becoming large and corporate minimizing innovation in the business unit of Google.
Pros
Free Lunches, Work-Life Balance
Cons
Managers vary greatly
Innovative
Data Center Facilities Specialist (Former Employee) –  Council Bluffs, IANovember 13, 2015
Pro's:
~Wonderful compensation and benefits.
~Team Cohesion
~Community Outreach Programs

Con's:
~To HQ centric
~Managers at outlying facilities have to much power and not enough oversight. i.e. ineffective and/or nonexistent manager/employee collaboration.
~Insufficient promotion/pay increase processes.
~Unrealistic expectations
Pros
Cons
Culture not what it seems
great company
Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CAMarch 30, 2016
It is a renowned company with great culture. In recent years, google has grown too much in size which makes management less efficient and low. Still a top place to work for.
Fun place
Quantitative Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 11, 2016
Fun place but work life balance is missing. Need to improve more on the openness and culture. Need to have a good onboarding program.
Pros
Free lunches, shuttles, good pay
Cons
Timings of work and expectations
Google Express - Start up within a Start up
Google Express Merchant Services Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 3, 2016
This job was a unique opportunity to learn in a start up within a start up environment. There is no typical day on the job. Every day brings new challenges and tests your ability to roll with the punches. I learned a lot from the amazing people who work on the project and from our merchant partners who have so much experience in retail operations. This project is powered by a significant number of temps/contractors (as opposed to full staffed with Googlers) and would benefit from increasing their focus on retaining their talent/tribal knowledge by promoting within.
Pros
Free lunch & snacks, Google brand, and great culture!
Cons
High turnover on mostly contractor based staffing
The best place to work on Earth!
Trainer/Building (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CAFebruary 17, 2016
Believe me when I say this.

There has not been one day from the years that I have worked at Google to where I would dread going to work.

I loved working here and I really hope to work with Google again and work there for the rest of my career!

What's not to love about this place? Great area, awesome people, it's fun, you meet great people everyday. It's my ideal place to work. I should of had never left.
Google Vendor
Account Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Mountain View, CAMay 25, 2016
Google is as great to work for as everyone thinks. It is a very relaxed and collaborative work culture. Lost of free time to do what you need to in your personal life, able to bring your dog(s) into work and everyone is extremely friendly. This has probably the greatest company I have worked for because of the overall culture of the company.

The only problem I have would be the fact that some teams give you very short notice on whether or not you will stay with the next every quarter. I am always in a panic when it comes close to the end of the quarter.
Pros
Free food, free transportation, great collaborative teams
Cons
Little/short notice one contract renewal
The Google Express project is a fast past work environment and a great learning experience.
Merchant Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAApril 13, 2016
Google Express was my first introduction into the tech world and I wouldn't have wanted to start any other place. A typical day at work is you get into the office, get a free breakfast, and then get to work. We are usually working on multiple side projects at one time while scheduling upcoming trainings or new stores to onboard. I am usually in and out of meetings throughout the day depending on the day and how busy we are at the time. My co-workers are all awesome and we do a lot of collaborative work together. Our team started out small when I first joined and we have now grown to a 18 man team and taken over the Google Express Merchant Owned and Operated world. It's been a great ride.
Leading example of work/life balance
ChromeOS Hardware Technician (Current Employee) –  Mountain View, CAApril 12, 2016
I've heard and seen many companies use the term work/life balance but only have I witnessed it here at Google. With the proper design and flexibility, they have managed to create an atmosphere of higher learning and constant evolution in the DRIVE to come to work.

It's not the benefits and pay (although that always helps) that make working here so great, its the feeling of wanting to come to work to achieve more. I've yet to encounter a single person who grips or complains about management or peers here. The collaboration and effort I see in the faces of co-workers and peers is unlike any place I've seen to date.

I'd have to say that my most challenging and fulfilling part of my job as a Hardware Test Technician, is that fact that there is ALWAYS something for me to improve on and I have the freedom and flexibility to choose.
Pros
You name it, they got it
Cons
Freedom to succeed and freedom to fail
Fun and New
Courier (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYJanuary 5, 2016
A typical day at Google Express consisted of going to the pick up location at the beginning of my shift to meet my driver for the shift. I learned how to use my phone to scan parcels and confirm deliveries via the GSX app. Management was reasonable and considerate and very willing to help me and my co workers in anyway they could. The most enjoyable part of the was being outside and interacting with different people everyday.
Pros
No one pushing you to do your job
Cons
Occasionally it was hard to find places to use the bathroom or park to take lunch.
Outstanding employer
SENIOR SIX SIGMA BLACK BELT - ANALYTICS (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 21, 2016
Work day was very flexible, also had a work at home option, but that was not something I used often because I could not access all of the systems I needed due to security issues. Had some long days but did not mind due to the interesting nature of the work and the fact that the company gave me the freedom to manage the "when" as far as getting the work done.

I learned a lot of Advanced Analytics from peers and formal training that was offered.

Management was outstanding with the boss being in the top 4 of over 35 bosses I have had in my career. Had the flexibility to work on projects that were not formally sponsored by the company but worked out and used by the company. That level of freedom is rare in business.

Boss was very good, no micromanagement what so ever but was generally available if you needed him. I felt comfortable suggesting crazy ideas without the fear of it destroying my career.
Pros
Flexibility, Money, good management, great culture.
Cons
Really???
Overall a great experience one has to be apart of to properly pass judgement. experience is different for everyone.
Store Operator (Current Employee) –  East 117 Pleasant AvenueMay 23, 2016
A typical day at work consist of a staff ranged from 1-20 depending on the site assigned. co workers for the most part are welcoming and the leads are knowledgable.There are some leads who require further examination within their led position but that can also be said about management. Management try to maintain punctuality even though there are many who may not be able to grab the necessary attention needed to completely handle a situation that only management can touch on such as availability, Pay stub's and Sick Hour adjustments.
The hardest part of the Job depends on the associates ability to handle different positions within one work day.
The best part about the job is the co workers and compensation and the only thing I've learned is that there are jobs out there with leadership that completely understands those they oversee while at the same time equally respecting them as an adult and a human being.

other jobs can learn from this one.
sdf sfdfds dfs f dsfds fdsfds sfd
saddsa sdf sfsdsdf (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 8, 2016

Great project, but I don't like their temporary policy.
Operations and Logistic Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 18, 2016
Unfortunately Google works with Staffing Companies that don't have the best benefits.

They have temporary jobs with a max of 2 years contract.
GodChronos on Youtube.
Youtube (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJune 12, 2016
I indirectly work for Google, my videos on Youtube make enough views that advertisements are able to pop up on my videos. The Advertisements make "Ad-Revenue", I don't know much else about it, I just know that Google makes money, and I end up making money. I don't make much because I'm not a HUGE youtuber. But at the end of the day, the money isn't what I care about, it's the fun. I'd say Youtube is more as an internship as I learn more about other people and connect in a way that I never would've thought I could.
Pros
Work when you want to work. It doesn't feel like a job.
Best company to work for
Corporate Engineering Integration (Current Employee) –  Mountain View, CANovember 4, 2015
Excellent benefits, great culture, internal mobility, and coworkers and the best and brightest in their fields. Senior leadership will continue to make great products and a wonderful workplace

4.3