Gordmans Employee Reviews in United States

First Job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Champaign, ILJune 12, 2016
This was the first job I ever had starting at the age of seven it helped me learn how to be on time and how to communicate with others.
Fun and Friendly Work Environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Avon, INJune 12, 2016
A typical day would include friendly management encouraging you to do your best and to give the customers the best experience possible. The co-workers are all like a big family and are more than willing to help out wherever.
Pros
competitive benefits, salaries.
Job
Sales Lead (Current Employee) –  Valparaiso, INJune 12, 2016
Its a great place to work. The people are friendly. they do expect you to work hard. They carry high expectations for themselves.
Good career starter, but no room for advancement.
Loss Prevention Agent (Former Employee) –  OhioJune 9, 2016
I worked for Gordmans for about 1.5 years. The company went through significant organizational changes in 2015, that in my opinion were bad for the organizations growth and profits.

The LP department is very top heavy, managememt wise, and highly unorganized. There are a few great managers in the LP department but the VP of LP seems clueless to the concerns of the agents in the stores. Believe me when i say this company views its employees as simply numbers to manipulate, not a family oriented company like they advertise. I had high hopes of moving up within the company but there is little to no room for advancement. The company does not value education and experience, they would rather hire someone with less experience so that they can pay them less money.

If you have never worked within Loss Prevention, then this job would be a good opportunity to learn the field, otherwise more experienced LP professionals should stay far, far away from Gordmans.
Pros
Good lp managers that understand the struggles, friendly coworkers.
Cons
Horrible pay, terrible benefits, slow stores, no room for growth.
Uplifting Atmosphere and a very fun workplace
Cahier (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJune 9, 2016
Gordmans is an amazing work place for people with a big, funny and open minded personality. They accept you for who you are. A Typical day at work is always interesting each day. Sometimes, for holidays or just for fun, they would play music and dance to it and sing to it. I learned that not in every work place, people are rude. I learned to meet new people and break shyness. The managers are awesome. They understand when an employee needs time off and sometimes they request us to take off if they fell we're in a horrible mood, that is if we show it. The hardest part was opening up and meeting new people and most enjoyable part was meeting
Not a good place to work.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJune 7, 2016
Not worth the time and effort. Not many hours given, usually two days a week. Managers picked favorites and worked with them. Would tell workers they couldn't have a position because their avalibility wouldn't work with the job, but then gave positions to others and would work with the hours they could work.
Pros
Cons
Favoritism, low pay, low work hours.
great company to work for
Stocker/Cashier/Recieving (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAJune 2, 2016
A typical day at work would involve helping stock shelves, running a cash register and putting returns back on the sales floor when necessary. Almost every coworker there was a great coworker to coop with. The hardest part of the job was the general manager himself. Almost everyday I would see him, he would be beyond frustrated for the smallest minor mistakes I would make. I personally think this manager had not a single ounce of respect or patience for any employee under the age of 21. With that being said, I would highly recommend to anybody under the age of 21 to never apply to this location if you don't want to deal with a manager that has almost no respect or appreciation for young minors. The most enjoyable part of this job was having every other employee and manager there besides the general manager himself that works there to talk to under any situation.
Pros
Paid lunch breaks
Cons
No health, dental or life inssurance
Great well managed store
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Fairview Heights, ILMay 29, 2016
A typical day at work includes many different tasks that keep you busy. Management is very professional. It is an overall great store to be apart of.
First Retail Job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMay 28, 2016
Though this may have been my first retail job, I thought I was going to hate it. I actually loved it. I was hired on before the store was open to the public and was a part of seeing a store be brought to life. I learned most out of this job that retail is only bad if you make it that way. Mostly at any job. I loved the team I had worked with and customers aren't customers to Gordmans. They're guests. We welcomed each guest into our store, as if we were welcoming guests into our home. Trust us and we trust you was a big part of the company goals.
Pros
hours
Cons
short breaks, no benefits
It was an okay job.
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Independence, MOMay 28, 2016
While working at Gordmans, I was always kept till closing which was till ten o'clock. I was still in school and wasn't able to keep up with my grades.
Good place to work as a part-time associate and hone your people and problem-solving skills
Guest Services, Stockroom/Floor Associate (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILMay 27, 2016
the managers were patient and helpful and knew how to handle agitated employees and customers. The job itself was engaging in that you never knew what exactly you were going to do each day.
Management is nice
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Naperville, ILMay 26, 2016
Its laid back, I learned a lot about the business world. The people who work there are nice. Its friendly and easy to work.
Nice experience
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Mishawaka, INMay 26, 2016
The job really focused on the guest service and I thought that was exceptional. They were really nice and a fun place to work.
My experience with working at Gordmans
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Burnsville, MNMay 18, 2016
A typical day at work consists of me cleaning up the sales floor and making sure to handle recovery; which means putting merchandise back onto the sales floor. What I've learned from working here is that you must always remain calm under any given situation. Whether the store becomes very busy to defusing a very upset customer. Because you never know what the outcome might be. The management knows how to handle difficult situations and are always around to help or inform. My co-workers are the ones that make working at Gordmans so fun. They know how to lift your spirits when you're not feeling the best and they make anyone feel welcome. The hardest part of the job I would say is knowing how to be in so many places at one time. One minute you could be cleaning, the next you could be looking for an item for a customer, you also need to know how to cashier just in case it gets super busy. The most enjoyable part of working at Gordmans though is the connections you make with not only your co-workers but also with customers.
Pros
Discounts, breaks
Cons
Little to no benefits, not enough hours for part timers, low pay
Fun place to work!
KEY LEAD (Current Employee) –  UtahMay 16, 2016
As a Key lead, I open and close the store, typically twice a week. Tell the team as they come in for their shift what the expectations are for the day. keep up on the work floor, greet and talk to as many guests in the store as possible and have a one on one experience with each guest.
We do Freight two days out of the week and have to get that all done within 24 hours. We have a great team and wonderful management.
Fast paced company within retail that had daily quotas
Sales Associate/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDMay 4, 2016
Constantly working, never a dull moment. Serving during all holidays. Helpful staff. Rigid, team-player oriented environment. Incentives based on performance. Worked independently when participating in a sale.
Pros
Bonuses, good hours, cross trained in all retail apects
Cons
None.
It was a good experience to learn to deal with difficult people
STOCKROOM ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Okemos, MIMay 4, 2016
A typical day would often involve being told to do one task then being told to do something completely different. I learned at this job how to be independent and how to be a manager rather then just a boss.
No hours
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  NapervilleApril 30, 2016
At first this job was fun I thought finally a place to work at but they like to give part-time workers they don't like 5 hours a week. The main management there young not married with no children and have no indication what struggles that entails. They are flexible with people's availability when they want to. The job is easy but they only show who they want certain things to do there job. You are only allowed 25 hours or less as a part time associate.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Lack of hours
Not a great place to work
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEApril 21, 2016
There is next to no training, poor staffing, poor management, hostile atmosphere, lack of dedicated employees. The only thing I really enjoyed was the customers.
I thought it was great, until the cut my hours by 75%
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Midvale, UTApril 18, 2016
The co-workers were great, the atmosphere was great, but the management was not so great, neither was the security. The management was either too playful and not professional or it was non-compassionate. Many of the other employees did not want to work there but had no other options jumping at them. The typical day was not very structured, they just kind of expected you to know what you were supposed to do, but it was different every day.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gordmans. Our community is ready to answer.