Gordon Food Service Employee Reviews

Productive and fun wok place
Team Leader/Customer Service/Cashier/Stocker (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLMay 28, 2017
Gordon Food Service is a very successful company that is rapidly expanding. The workplace is a very open and friendly environment with many neat and clean products, following a strict "customer is king" motto.
Pros
employee discounts, free samples on new products, employees are allowed to buy damaged products unavailable for the sales floor at reduced prices.
Cons
Sketchy and unfair customers, busy store conditions cause unhappy secret shoppers.
forklift operator
Cashier/Sales (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLMay 23, 2017
My duties as a forklift operator is unload the morning truck with the products of the day. be effective and careful operating the forklift as the space is very limited.
Great place to work!
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Orland Park, ILMay 22, 2017
The pace was balanced meaning some days it was fast and some days it was slow. At first the hardest part about the job was constantly interacting with people. GFS has excellent customer service, so I had to learn how to communicate with people. I now have those same outstanding customer service skills instilled within me.
Its a really nice place to work
Forklift, order selector, loder ,cherry picker (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 22, 2017
Well gordon is a really nice place to work. One day at Gordon's. Get there be ready prepared with your equipment ready and your mind set to work fast.
Pros
It's close to my house like 5 mins
Cons
Short breaks
Awesome Company To Work For!
Diesel Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Imperial, PAMay 20, 2017
This is a very wonderful company that values its employees. They offer many bonuses and perks for working hard. Morals and values, excellent. If you're looking for long term and advancement, awesome place to start with.
Pros
Many different bonuses, they take good care of their employees.
Cons
Health Care so-so
Needed more hours and pay per week.
Customer Service/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Maumee, OHMay 18, 2017
I enjoyed working with customers and helping them where needed. I just needed a job that was with more hours, pay, and benefits. It was a fast paced job and that was enjoyable to me.
great place to work
Stocker/merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Olympia Fields, ILMay 18, 2017
The job gives back what you put in. Good work is often rewarded. The employees tend to work together creating a pleasant work environment. The is not the most difficult, but enjoyable.
Was fun but respect is a problem
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Okemos, MIMay 17, 2017
New people are very rude and we get too many of them and get no shifts. People who work there need more time to connect. It's fun but very repetitive and there needs to be more of a friendly feel.
Worst Job ever
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bradenton, FLMay 16, 2017
Dont ever work there. Managers are lazy and do not help. They want you to do all the work. Even after you do everything there is to be done for the day they still way to pretend that you are working so you have to go look for holes in shelves and fill it in even if its one thing its the worst job ever. I warn any one don't work there trust me you will be better off at another grocery store. Just don't do it unless you want to be miserable every day at work.
Pros
Cons
everything
family owned company
Customer Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNMay 16, 2017
Privately owned company has certain advantages. Challenging and competitive field with shifting priorities and deadlines. Good product mix. O
Started in michigan
Decent Place To Work
Packer/Shipper (Current Employee) –  Imperial, PAMay 15, 2017
Very physically demanding work in a very cold warehouse. Best paying warehouse job that I am aware of. Excellent benefit package and the retirement package is also very good.
Pros
pay
Cons
work environment
Management is awful
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Livonia, MIMay 11, 2017
When I first got hired, management was great! Unfortunately our current management is awful, unapproachable, volatile, and unprofessional.
Hours are not flexible, and the work load has been tripled. If you're good at your job, you get rewarded with everyone else's job too.
They offer virtually no training, just "figure it out."
Corporate constantly changes the focus of sales from retail to business customers, implementing non functional ideas with absolutely no regard to their employees. It's pretty obvious they haven't left their office desks in years. They give an unrealistic maximum amount of hours that managers can fill up to run the store for the entire week, meaning we are usually very VERY understaffed. Oh, and they are extremely cheap. Get used to covering old rusty shelves with cheap crinkly plastic, instead of replacing them, or selling subpar produce and meat.
Pros
Great co-workers (mostly), store discount, yearly reviews with possibility of a small raise if earned
Cons
Awful management
Went down hill fast
Replenisher (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, MDMay 10, 2017
They started off as an amazing company but went down hill as soon as they merged with the Pottsville dc. Management became terrible hours got cut in half or even less and the schedual changed by a 5 hour differnence ( going in at 6 at night to going in at 12 30 in the afternoon) they no longer care about the employees at all and will fire anyone who standshould up for themselves or if they get suspicious about them quiting. We also noticed working same amount of hours that as the weeks went by the paychecks kept getting smaller and smaller.
Pros
Good pay, used to be wonderful.
Cons
It went downhill fast.
enjoyable
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kettering, OHMay 10, 2017
Working with people who you dont know is hard at firdt and eberyone was nice and made me feel comfortable. the housre were very nice nad the pay was decent
good benefits fast pace hard work
Sales Associate/ Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, MIMay 10, 2017
It gets very busy around holidays and graduation, need to be able to multi task and customer service is the number one priority. You are standing for 8+ hours and bending and lifting up to 100 pounds and pulling even more.
Pros
benefits, fast paced
Cons
short to no breaks, pay, mostly part time
I hate my job
Sales Associate/Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Utica, MIMay 10, 2017
I have gotten nothing out of working their besides unacceptable pay. When you ask why you haven't received a raise in a while when you are working your self silly, they say "If you are looking for money, apply at McDonalds." that is not a company I want to be working for.
OK starting out or for PT supplimental job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIMay 10, 2017
Worked as a sales associate. Sales associates are supposed to alternate stock and cash positions. Sometimes though you'd get stuck in one particular position. Some sales associates were always cash and other always stock. Made it kind of boring and hard to answer customer questions about products when you never leave a register.
Lots of focus on upselling sales items and collecting customer info for marketing. Were required to meet a quota each shift. Also LOTS of secret shoppers so you had to be on your toes. But shops were easy to pass. In the time I worked there I was shopped 4 times and got a perfect score each time. Overall not a bad job for after school or a second job. Management supportive and accomodating with scheduling. Friendly and pleasant overall atmosphere to work in. Opportunity for advancement seemed to be there, but the hours assistant and managers worked seemed too excessive. They would only get one day a week off and frequently closed store and have to open next morning. Advancement not worth it if you never have time to see your family.
Pros
Discounts on groceries, incentives on sales, several raises
Cons
Focus on collecting customer info annoying at times
Fun and Productive place to work
Trainer/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 9, 2017
Loved this job as it was the second job I have ever worked, gained a lot of experience and had a lot of fun doing it. Management was awesome and my colleagues were overall great to work with.
Pros
Experience
Cons
rate of pay
Good summer job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kentwood, MIMay 4, 2017
Nice way to gain experience in super market fields. Very small personal connection with co-workers and managers. Needed more hours though and more employees to assist in day to day operations.
Pros
Good pay, nice starting place, great for gaining experience
Cons
Needed more stockers
Great place to work.
Marketing Communications (Current Employee) –  Taunton, MAMay 3, 2017
Great people and team members and excellent benefits. This review is written from someone who has worked at the divisional level at Gordon Food Service.
Benefits
Cons
no cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gordon Food Service. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval