Gordon Food Service Employee Reviews in United States

Great place to work if you complain a lot.
Packer (Former Employee) –  Imperial, PANovember 23, 2015
I was sent for training which was nice, fully paid travel and food expenses. But upon returning to the new warehouse, everyone complained about the jobs they were hired and trained for. It got to the point where these guys were promoted to easier more of a supervisor position by default. Not myself or the other guys that broke our backs and stood quiet. Management was completely clueless on how to delegate work. Forget about breaks as well. You start at 4pm get a break around 6pm then can work till 6 am with no other breaks. Plus you work until work is finished. Your paychecks will change. You may work 12 hours one day and 7 the next.
Pros
Great benefits.(health)
Cons
Lack of breaks. Inconsistent pay. Poor management.
Fun people, busy fast passed
Freezer Associate (Former Employee) –  Waterford, MIFebruary 1, 2016
fast passed day
Freezer work
customer service
management worked with employee
responsibility over stock rotation
hard to stand the long hours in the cold
I enjoy the variety of customers
Pros
keeps you very busy
Cons
only part time employee
Horribly disrespectful and rude boss
Cashier Associate (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MIApril 21, 2016
I first started and they told me I was going to be a cashier. I am 17 years old and had never worked register before. I received literally no training at all and the boss even acknowledged that. I was thrown in and every time I called for help because I had no idea what I was doing the boss would get mad. Everyone that works here was EXTREMELY disrespectful. I felt like I was back in school with the rumors and gossip that would be going on. I absolutely hated it after only 3 weeks and I ended up quitting after one of my shifts that the managers took the amount of disrespect to a whole new level. I will never be back at a Gordon's store. Nor will any of my family and I'm going to let everyone know just how badly I was treated.
No a bad place to work.
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Springfield, OHApril 8, 2016
Gordon Food Services (warehouse) is not a bad place to work, honestly. You have drama, baby criers everywhere.

GFS provides incentive, bonuses, a pretty good health insurance, 401k, profit sharing, college & adoption assistant, pretty good pay rate around Springfield, Dayton, London or Hilliard.

The warehouse in Springfield is old, pretty old. Coworkers are pretty good. Management gets a C.

It's hard to get fired from this place or company. That's why a lot of people get along with some laziness and terrible attitude.
Stealing, calling off all the time, and going off on people, will help you out to be homeless.Stay away from those job behavior and you will have a job.

This is a HARD job, especially in selection. The longer you stay here, better jobs you may get. HUGE turnover rate. If you don't go anywhere in 4-5 years, feel welcome to look for another job or you will be unhappy for the rest of your life.
Cons
Management and ridiculous sick days policy.
Very good work environment with an awesome team
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Altamonte Springs, FLJanuary 4, 2016
As a Sales Associates, i was in charge of helping any customer find what they were looking for and assist them with any thing that they needed. I would organize merchandise and make sure the store was clean and organized for a better shopping experience for the customer. the co-workers and the management were all great people and we would always encourage each other to work as a team.
Pros
discount on food
Cons
a lot physical work
Culture and work environment have gone down hill.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 19, 2015
GFS has gone from a job I loved to just another company. Company culture has gone down hill over the last couple of years. They have got in the habit of promoting unqualified people to leadership positions and have lost a number of good people now as a result. Insurance rates and profit sharing are great however they do not pay staff or store management very well.
Pros
Only open until 8pm.
Cons
Pay
Good Management, Small Supply Store Environment
Stocker/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLNovember 6, 2015
Good restaurant supply store with competitive prices, great management team with loyal customers. Great selection for the small business owner. Good rewards program for the constant buyer.
Really good Coworkers and Awesome managers
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Midland, MIMay 21, 2016
the managers are all really cool, they can help you with just about anything if you yourself need help and this is probably one of the best entry level jobs out there especially for retail. I've never had any problems with any of my coworkers they are all easy to get along with
Pros
10% discount on all merchandise, once in a while food in the break room, coworkers are friendly and fun, form professional relationships with business owners in the area.
Cons
Not required to be given a break, lots of standing and movement....recommend good shoes
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 8, 2015
I really appreciate GFS because they gave me a shot when I was just a 19 year old with no previous experience. Working for GFS gave me the experience necessary to move forward in my career path. All the managers were great to work with. They were very understanding of class schedules and last minute schedule changes. I found almost all of my co-workers to be very friendly people who I could get along with. The job was not very difficult, just stocking shelves, assisting customers, slicing meat, etc. The hardest part was probably working in the freezer, but that was simply due to the temperature. After two years, GFS started 80% matching 401K contributions. It was a great place to work for my first job.
Fun and productive place
P/T Associate (Former Employee) –  South Euclid, OHFebruary 25, 2016
Great opportunities and incentives to meet satisfactory needs of both consumers as well as employees. They really allow advancement to offer the guests and honor their company values.

Want to know more about Gordon Food Service?

Ask a question
Fun place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMarch 3, 2016
GFS was a good place to work to get me through school; management was very easy to work with; co-workers were all nice; would recommend this place to anyone
cashier
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  South Euclid, OHMarch 21, 2016
 Clerical
 Active Listening
 Reading Comprehension
 Time Management
It was a poor job they did not offer enough money, and only part time work
Great place to work when you're young.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJune 13, 2015
There were slow and busy days. You get the chance to meet new customers and learn about their business. Some of them will let you know what they need and why they need it. Management was great and more than likely willing to work with any conflicts.Most of the co-workers were young and didn't care about their job, it mostly came down to maturity. The hardest part of the job was trying to make sure that every customer was taken care of and everyone was happy. That's your job though, to make sure that everyone is taken care of to the best of your ability. The most enjoyable part of the job is to know that you had a part in helping the customer fulfill their needs.
Pros
Work with great people
Cons
No benefits
Stressful but fun and energenic
Shift Leader/Manager (Current Employee) –  Hilliard, OHOctober 14, 2015
Get to work with customers figuring out what their needs are to grow their business. As a manager, there is a lot of training opportunities for self-development. There is access to a full library and access to the district manager and even the regional manager for questions. The hardest part of the job is having to deal with customers that upset when something goes wrong with their order. We do try to do fun things like Bow Tie Wednesday and ordering pizza on a late night of stocking.
Pros
Great Benefits!
Cons
working on weekends and nights.
awesome
Customer service, cashier, stocker and meat slicer (Former Employee) –  Saginaw, MIJanuary 15, 2016
it was the best job ever. wish that I could go back in time. management was awesome, I enjoyed everything about this job. co workers were amazing.
Pros
co workers
Cons
na
Great Company
Data Integrity Coordinator - eCommerce and GDSN (Current Employee) –  Wyoming, MINovember 23, 2015
I enjoyed my experience at GFS. The culture and how they like to grow their employees potential are wonderful. I have worked on three different projects within the company and enjoyed every day being there.
Great company
Repair/mechanic (Former Employee) –  Shepherdsville, KYNovember 11, 2015
I enjoyed working for GFS. Unfortunatley, I was married to a woman at the time that liked the money, not the hours, convinced me to quit the job. I have since divorced as well as grown up. I would love another opportunity to work there again. I am engaged, I have my only child, a son, and my fiance has three children. So, I want a permanent stable job with room for advancement to be able to provide for my family
Pros
great
okay place to work
work long hours
no room for advancement
good people work there
Great Experience
Shipping Leader, Selector, Packer (Former Employee) –  Kentwood, MIOctober 19, 2015
Working for GFC was a great experience. Within a year I work my was from the bottom to leading. I learned companies promote hard work. I enjoyed the friendships I build and the goals we accomplished as a team.
Pros
Great Pay, Bonuses for hitting goals, Great team members
Cons
Management not being across the board with rules, Needs more training in Managemnt, 20 year hi low drive promoted to manager to quick
Good...not great.
Inside Sales (Former Employee) –  Wyoming, MIJanuary 8, 2016
Very fast paced especially during school season so you need to be a great multi-tasker. Management overseeing my department was not management material but I did enjoy co-workers.
Pros
Learning the industry
Cons
Working Holidays