Gordon Food Service Employee Reviews in United States

Fun and productive place
P/T Associate (Former Employee) –  South Euclid, OHFebruary 25, 2016
Great opportunities and incentives to meet satisfactory needs of both consumers as well as employees. They really allow advancement to offer the guests and honor their company values.
Not a Review, But the Truth
Product Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Douglasville, GAFebruary 18, 2016
In the beginning this was a pretty good company to work for (ATLEAST THAT'S WHAT I THOUGHT). I started out as a dispatcher in transportation, after a few months in that role I was asked to join the marketing department because my skillset was a better fit for myself and the company. Joining the marketing department was where I experienced that the Cornerstone Values of the company didn't exist. There are managers that are certainly not qualified for their roles they simply have tenure or relocated from another GFS location. As a result the performance results of certain departments/teams are show it. Well after I joined the marketing department a few months later I and other colleagues in my department were blindsided by a "company restructure" plan. We were told here is what is going to happen to with your jobs....they are going away...After that meeting we were told not to discuss with anyone and it's business as usual. We were giving the option to reapply for new roles that were created under this new restructure, but we would have to compete against our counterparts throughout the company. Keep in mind we were the newer employees to the company, and were up against some 10-20 year veterans. Speaking for myself I believe this "restructure plan" was pre planned and the employees for the new roles were already selected. This is about all I will say so, Please dissect this experience carefully before considering.
Pros
Great People, Profit Sharing
Cons
Poor Leadership
Fun people, busy fast passed
Freezer Associate (Former Employee) –  Waterford, MIFebruary 1, 2016
fast passed day
Freezer work
customer service
management worked with employee
responsibility over stock rotation
hard to stand the long hours in the cold
I enjoy the variety of customers
Pros
keeps you very busy
Cons
only part time employee
basically a hades on earth
second shift selector (Former Employee) –  Springfield, OHJanuary 19, 2016
worked at the Springfield Ohio plant for about 2 months, the most phisically demanding job i ever had in my whole entire life, hated every moment of that place, never knew when we were going to get off, woke up every day barely being able to get out of bed for being in so much pain, working in the freezer all night sucked, yall have been warned, oh yeah the most enjoyable part was your days off
Pros
decent pay, they feed u sometimes
Cons
see above paragraph
fun and friendly work place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Springfield, OHJanuary 18, 2016
Gordon's is very family oriented company. I enjoyed working for this company the managers and employees made it a great place to work.
awesome
Customer service, cashier, stocker and meat slicer (Former Employee) –  Saginaw, MIJanuary 15, 2016
it was the best job ever. wish that I could go back in time. management was awesome, I enjoyed everything about this job. co workers were amazing.
Pros
co workers
Cons
na
Growing to be a leader in the industry
Customer Development Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cookeville, TNJanuary 11, 2016
A progressive and aggressive company with an amazing view of the future. Still family owned with and very employee oriented.
Pros
great insurance and profit sharing
Cons
Travel
Good...not great.
Inside Sales (Former Employee) –  Wyoming, MIJanuary 8, 2016
Very fast paced especially during school season so you need to be a great multi-tasker. Management overseeing my department was not management material but I did enjoy co-workers.
Pros
Learning the industry
Cons
Working Holidays
Very good work environment with an awesome team
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Altamonte Springs, FLJanuary 4, 2016
As a Sales Associates, i was in charge of helping any customer find what they were looking for and assist them with any thing that they needed. I would organize merchandise and make sure the store was clean and organized for a better shopping experience for the customer. the co-workers and the management were all great people and we would always encourage each other to work as a team.
Pros
discount on food
Cons
a lot physical work
Clean and organized
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Niles, OHDecember 9, 2015
This company keeps the stores very well cleaned and organized. They work around my schedule. The care about their customers and goes out of their way to keep them.
Pros
pleasent place to work
Cons
starting pay
Poor training and too much expectation.
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Strongsville, OHNovember 27, 2015
They expect way too much of you in respect for the pay rate offered. I felt overworked and felt as if I could not focus on my family.
Great place to work if you complain a lot.
Packer (Former Employee) –  Imperial, PANovember 23, 2015
I was sent for training which was nice, fully paid travel and food expenses. But upon returning to the new warehouse, everyone complained about the jobs they were hired and trained for. It got to the point where these guys were promoted to easier more of a supervisor position by default. Not myself or the other guys that broke our backs and stood quiet. Management was completely clueless on how to delegate work. Forget about breaks as well. You start at 4pm get a break around 6pm then can work till 6 am with no other breaks. Plus you work until work is finished. Your paychecks will change. You may work 12 hours one day and 7 the next.
Pros
Great benefits.(health)
Cons
Lack of breaks. Inconsistent pay. Poor management.
Great Company
Data Integrity Coordinator - eCommerce and GDSN (Current Employee) –  Wyoming, MINovember 23, 2015
I enjoyed my experience at GFS. The culture and how they like to grow their employees potential are wonderful. I have worked on three different projects within the company and enjoyed every day being there.
Great company
Repair/mechanic (Former Employee) –  Shepherdsville, KYNovember 11, 2015
I enjoyed working for GFS. Unfortunatley, I was married to a woman at the time that liked the money, not the hours, convinced me to quit the job. I have since divorced as well as grown up. I would love another opportunity to work there again. I am engaged, I have my only child, a son, and my fiance has three children. So, I want a permanent stable job with room for advancement to be able to provide for my family
Pros
great
Great Company
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Kenosha, WINovember 8, 2015
Great place to work. Managers were always very supportive and willing to work with your schedule. I would work for this company again.
Good Management, Small Supply Store Environment
Stocker/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLNovember 6, 2015
Good restaurant supply store with competitive prices, great management team with loyal customers. Great selection for the small business owner. Good rewards program for the constant buyer.
Friendly work environment.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 3, 2015
Fun place to work, with very supportive management. There is a lot of variation to the work of a cashier and quite a bit of customer inter action.
great beneits
General Manger (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 27, 2015
Good associates to work with. Good products. It used to be a place that you wanted to retire from but things have changed. The customers were the best part of my day. Interacting with them and building their business was very rewarding. Hiring the minors and watching mature into responsible adults was also a tremendous asset to working there.
Great Experience
Shipping Leader, Selector, Packer (Former Employee) –  Kentwood, MIOctober 19, 2015
Working for GFC was a great experience. Within a year I work my was from the bottom to leading. I learned companies promote hard work. I enjoyed the friendships I build and the goals we accomplished as a team.
Pros
Great Pay, Bonuses for hitting goals, Great team members
Cons
Management not being across the board with rules, Needs more training in Managemnt, 20 year hi low drive promoted to manager to quick
Family owned and operated business that provides excellent opportunity and cultivates a positive job experience.
Marketplace Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIOctober 18, 2015
Enables individuals to grow with the company and manage a family life. Strong builders of well-rounded individuals because of the family owned work environment.
Pros
Manageable hours