Gordon Food Service Employee Reviews in United States

Family owned company with great growth model and culture
Customer Development Specialist (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 7, 2015
A typical day at work involves a combination of visiting with current customers and cold calling new ones. I manage customer orders and accounts receivable. I consult with customers on new menu ideas and strategies to help their business. I have learned different sales techniques through team meetings and field experience. Our leadership team is supportive, knowledgeable and driven as are our close knit peers. Hardest part of the job is balancing it with life. I am "always on the clock" and doesn't leave much time for family. The most enjoyable part of the job is the appreciation a customer has when we have worked through a certain project and had great results. I really like the consultative side.
Pros
company car
Cons
little family time
Very good company for long term looking workers.
Selector Hilo Driver (Former Employee) –  Douglasville, GAAugust 3, 2015
Great company long hours. Good team work and good way to move up with the company. You work Sunday through Thursday. Tuesdays and Wednesday are the easiest and lightest days of the week.
okay place to work
lots of overtime
work long hours
no room for advancement
good people work there
Hard place to work for the compensation
Cashier/Stock (Former Employee) –  Waterford, MIJuly 15, 2015
A lot of heavy lifting and moving all day. A hard place to work for the amount of pay you receive. No room for growth within the company
Pros
Free food
Cons
Short breaks, no health care and poor hours
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 8, 2015
I really appreciate GFS because they gave me a shot when I was just a 19 year old with no previous experience. Working for GFS gave me the experience necessary to move forward in my career path. All the managers were great to work with. They were very understanding of class schedules and last minute schedule changes. I found almost all of my co-workers to be very friendly people who I could get along with. The job was not very difficult, just stocking shelves, assisting customers, slicing meat, etc. The hardest part was probably working in the freezer, but that was simply due to the temperature. After two years, GFS started 80% matching 401K contributions. It was a great place to work for my first job.
Very busy with very little breaks.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Marion, OHJuly 5, 2015
A typical day at work would include being handed a check list of the things that needed done before you start your shift, you would count a drawer and then start your day. On a truck day there could be 5 there could be 25 full pallets of dry stock to be put on top stock and out on the shelves. That means you have from 3pm until the store closes at 8 pm with 2 or 3 associates to put away that much truck, take care of any customers that needed assistance, went to your register anytime they needed backup and got your department looking top notch before the store closed. You can imagine...you stay pretty busy. How much night crew had depended on how hard the day crew worked. Once we got back to see how much truck there was you immediately start throwing boxes on your cart and take them out to the floor. Some nights we were there until 10:30, sometimes we were out at 8:15.
Pros
The managers would bring in food sometimes, or on very busy nights they would buy pizza and pop for everyone.
Cons
There was no guaranteed break, only for minors working more than 5 hours or if you were working a 10 hour shift.
Ok
Sales (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 5, 2015
Overall a good company but management issues as they have one manager in ATL that curses people out and threatens people.
productive work
Packer/Inspector (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJune 25, 2015
Select and package products. I learned how the warehouse works. My lead worker was nice and flexible. Great co-wokers. The hardest part of my job was dealing with the cold because we worked in -20 temperature. The money and hours were the best part about the job.
Pros
Gave bonuses and raises
Cons
laidoff without any knowledge
Loved servicing customers, stocking shelves
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lighthouse Point, FLJune 22, 2015
Started with Demo work cooking food for customers to try our products. Loved working with the public and had great co-workers, started working with the handheld computer and was great at checking out of date products, rotating stock. One manager was letting customers go without paying waiting for them to come back and pay. I was told by the assistant manager that it was something someone could get fired for. Hardest part of the job was short hours and not always going to other areas of the store to learn all the jobs.
Pros
Loved working with all the customers, and co-workers
Cons
No health insurance weekly schedule changes
job was right down the street
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Novi, MIJune 20, 2015
co workers was nice. low on hours. not a busy store but when i was busy it was good. manger was nice. didnt really care for the products. nice store
Pros
location was close
Cons
not enough hours
Good for high school worker
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Joliet, ILJune 18, 2015
Offers bonuses based on customer perception. Good about working with flexible schedules. Discount is a huge bonus. Can get stressful depending on time of year.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Part-time
fun workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OHJune 17, 2015
Typical day of stocking shelves, unloading product from truck and customer service. I've learned how to multi-task while still balancing service to customers. Management isn't what it used to be. Co-workers are easy to get along with and work with most of the time.
Pros
available to work around schedule
Cons
Pay, and time of hours
Friendly Team Environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Evansville, INJune 17, 2015
Gordon Food Service is a nice place to work because of its friendly team oriented atmosphere. All of the managers are friendly, approachable, and willing to answer any questions that the employees or customers have.
Great place to work when you're young.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJune 13, 2015
There were slow and busy days. You get the chance to meet new customers and learn about their business. Some of them will let you know what they need and why they need it. Management was great and more than likely willing to work with any conflicts.Most of the co-workers were young and didn't care about their job, it mostly came down to maturity. The hardest part of the job was trying to make sure that every customer was taken care of and everyone was happy. That's your job though, to make sure that everyone is taken care of to the best of your ability. The most enjoyable part of the job is to know that you had a part in helping the customer fulfill their needs.
Pros
Work with great people
Cons
No benefits
Good Enviorment, Rough on the body, even being young.
Selector (Former Employee) –  Imperial, PAJune 10, 2015
Good place to work for, long hours good pay but one of the most physical jobs you'll ever do. 13 miles a night and 50-60,000 pounds a night on an average good night.
Pros
co-workers and pay
Cons
physical labor and long hours
Great Environment to work at
Java/J2EE Developer (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJune 9, 2015
I had a great experience at GFS. My colleagues are great and helpful at every challenging steps. The hardest part of the job was time management. Although I have worked very hard to follow every rules.
GFS Driver
Chain Alliance Driver (Current Employee) –  Douglasville,GAJune 7, 2015
A typical work day starts with me going to the office and picking up my route manifest and checking for all required paperwork and keys for deliveries. After checking paperwork I start my pretrip on my truck and trailer ensuring I connect to the correct trailer by checking the route number on the actual products being delivered. Then I head to my first delivery which is at least 5 hours away. The hardest part of my job is unloading a truck that is loaded improperly. The management is not that great. I feel that management should check on their people a lot more. My actual team leader has never checked on me or even sent a email. My wife had an miscarriage and he never checked on me to see how things were, being a family oriented company. I even heard him say he is not a team player which I believe as a manager no employee should hear that. The most enjoyable part of my job is satisfying the customers.
friendly, and sometimes fun
Sale Associate (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, OHMay 30, 2015
I enjoyed my job at GFS, especially our regular customers. The reason I left is because they were putting managerial duties on me when I was only just a sales associate
really really nice facility with too much management and benefits are going downhill
Diesel Technician (Former Employee) –  Kenosha, WIMay 29, 2015
shop environment is very nice. super clean. techs all get along for the most part. the main fleet manager is a nice guy. the corporate management is what prevents this shop from being as good as it truly should be as it has all the potential. The technicians are slightly underpaid in my opinion vs all the other employees they are kinda at the bottom of the list as far as pay and the way they are treated. Its the drivers and the sales teams that are the shining stars. The benefits are not nearly as good as they where 2-4 years ago as they seem to keep taking away and downgrading things to increase their own profit and screw the little guys who are the backbone of the company all while putting on a smile and saying how well they treat their employees and employee is number 1. Not bad talking the place just stating the facts. Still not a bad place to work considering.
Pros
Free lunch on everyone's birthdays for everyone, Clean shop, Nice facility, Friendly people in the shop
Cons
upper management, benefits are on a decline, little underpaid
It could be better
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMay 24, 2015
A typical day at work can be stocking, slicing, helping customers. The management team is HORRIBLE, there is only one nice manager out of four there, and she is the nicest manager I have ever came across. The co-workers are pretty awesome. The hardest part is probably dealing with the managers. They gossip about their co-workers to other co-workers, they sit in the office most of the time, and talk down to their employees.