Gordon Food Service

Gordon Food Service Employee Reviews

Fun place to work with a solid, and growing, company
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Jackson, MIDecember 30, 2014
Gordon Food Service is an amazing company to work for. They have endless opportunities and are consistently growing in a constructive way. Gordon's gets pretty hectic during the summer months during college and high school graduations. We are also very busy during Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter. The management staff is excellent and take care of you when it comes to time off or picking up more shifts. They take working there seriously, but also keep things smooth and calm.
Everyone I worked with was very helpful and friendly.
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INDecember 6, 2014
Pros: nice costumers, decent pay, and a friendly environment.
Cons: not being able to fit school in with work.
I enjoyed working at GFS. The costumers were generally friendly. I loved the people that I worked with. The managers were also very nice. I have gained major experience from working there. The downside is that I couldn't fit the work schedule with school and family responsibilities l. Other than that i liked and recommend working there.
Family-like work culture
Software Engineer Intern (Former Employee), Grand Rapids, MIDecember 3, 2014
GFS has some of the most friendly employees you'll ever meet. They treat their employees well, and as it's a food service company there's usually food and drinks around. Discount at the GFS Marketplace stores is a great perk, and compensation is fair (considering cost of living is cheap in Michigan).
solid company
Sales and Service Manager (Former Employee), Petoskey, MINovember 21, 2014
Pros: consistent paycheck every week
Cons: weekends, and the feeling of never getting anything done.
I loved the company, I just got a little tired of the retail business and was looking for a fresh start. Most of my days was working with customers and training associates. The hardest part of my job was I felt like a babysitter most days trying to get the youngers kids to buy-in to what we were trying to do there. I really enjoyed all the customers and having those daily conversations with them.
Productive and fun work atmosphere
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Lima, OHNovember 19, 2014
This was the best employer I have ever had the privilege to work for. They treat their employees with the utmost respect and are very flexible with scheduling when need be.
Smaller family owned business, but growing.
Sales associate (Former Employee), Monroe, Mi Toledo,OhNovember 19, 2014
One of my favorite jobs. I truly enjoyed working there. The hours were great and management was very understanding.
Rewarding
Sales Associate (Current Employee), TennesseeNovember 17, 2014
Continuous multitasking between customers and daily routine. I was fortunate enough to get training in management.
People are Great
Marketday Employee (Current Employee), Grand Rapids, MINovember 11, 2014
Working in a freezer is not an easy job but the people are great. I enjoy working with my co-workers. The job is physically demanding but not overwhelming. The hardest part of the job is the hours worked. I work midnight to 5 am.
A great place to work!!
Chain delivery driver (Current Employee), Douglessville, Ga.November 8, 2014
Pros: home time, pay, benefits, new trucks!
Cons: hard work
I work in the chain division so I work 4 nights a week. It takes a little bit to get used to but, I love it. I start my week Sunday night going in getting my paper work, hooking up my tractor to the trailer and heading out to the route. I have two, two day routes, Sunday-Tuesday morning, and Wednesday-Friday. I'm off Friday, Saturday, And Tuesday night. It's a lot of home time. The pay is top notch, I've brought home as much as $1400.00 in one week, but average is about $950.00 a week for me. We have company match 401k, insurance is the best you'll find. It's only $27.00 a week for me and my daughter. We also now have profit sharing. But with all that being said it is very physically demanding. This is the hardest job I've ever done in my life, I've lost 25lbs since I've been here for 6 months. But I love the company I didn't know companies like this still exist, from the management to warehouse it's all the best I've seen. I've seen 6 drivers be promoted to managers so they promote from within. I will retire from here.
Great First job
Stocker/Cashier (Former Employee), Lansing, ILOctober 28, 2014
Pros: bonus checks.
Cons: pay was minimum wage.
I started working at Gordon food service when I was 16.It was a good experience. I learned that work is serious and I had to be tough if i wanted to work more hours i had to prove it with my work.The managers were very nice and always helped whenever you needed it.Culture was good it seemed like we had a close tight team at one point.Co-workers were great to work with.We had to work but we could also talk with each other on our downtime.Best part of the job was if the freight was damaged chances are we would eat it.
Rough most of the time there.
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee), Trotwood, OHOctober 26, 2014
Pros: customers, good products
Cons: staff, management, pay
Most days at GFS include stocking product and making sure customers were happy. I learned that working as a team makes the day go by faster and to make sure you hold yourself accountable. The managers were split. Some would not mind helping while others you did not know where to find them. My co-workers were split as well. A lot of hard workers at times and some that would do nothing but complain most of the time. The hardest part of the job was picking up the slack from those who did nothing. The most enjoyable part was definitely the customers. Almost everyone that came in was friendly and made for an enjoyable time.
Busy place to work in.
Shift Leader (Current Employee), Palatine, ILOctober 24, 2014
Pros: health benefits
There is much to do and often feels like there is not enough time to do it in. A typical day involves a little bit of everything. Receiving product into the store, running a cash register, stocking product on the shelves. Managing a team of about 3-5 employees.
Day
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Lansing, MIOctober 12, 2014
Pros: fun at work
Cons: long days
I enjoy GFS. We are a family there and treat everybody like family.
enjoyed the work experience
warehouse selector (Former Employee), Ocala, FLOctober 11, 2014
Pros: bonuses
Cons: short breaks.
I enjoyed working there. they treated really well and they worked with my school schedule even though it was difficult.
order selector
Forklift operator (Former Employee), columbia scOctober 8, 2014
pull orders on order also ride fork lift to pull the product in the rite area
N/A
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee), Fort Lauderdale, FLSeptember 24, 2014
I EARNED HOW TO OPERATE A FORKLIFT, I BECAME A CERTIFIED MEAT SLICER, I LOVED STOCKING
Solid company with tremendous growth that promotes from within,
QUALITY MANAGER (Former Employee), Taunton, MASeptember 24, 2014
Pros: great benefits, profit sharing is unmatched
Cons: corporate office is in michigan - too cold
Gordon Food Service is a great place to work. This privately own company treats both customer and employee as # 1. They are in the process of tremendous growth, investing in acquisitions, new technology and employee training. There is a strong team atmosphere with all members equally treated
Great People, The Job never ends 24x7
Customer Development Specialist (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INSeptember 22, 2014
I found the Job to be easy but nonstop. Also practices of price raising when customer turns an eye.
Learned how to open a store from the ground up.
Sales Associate / Cashier (Former Employee), Cincinnati, OHSeptember 6, 2014
Pros: greeting customers and gaining their trust.
Cons: i wish it was a full time position.
I appreciated seeing how hard it was to start a new store from the ground up.

I gained a new respect for every store that I have been into every since.
Management plays favorites
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Melbourne, FLSeptember 1, 2014
Pros: pay
Cons: lack of hours, management
I was a cashier at this place for only a few months. I was still in high school and I quickly realized that in order to get more hours, I had to flirt with the managers. The managers were very inappropriate around employees, especially minors. They spoke about intimate encounters, and I even had to file a harassment claim against a shift leader for inviting me to his place. Instead of taking my side, they blamed me for it, and said I was being inappropriate too. Which I wasn't. I had proof, the shift leader went through records and started texting me from his personal phone. After showing my other managers, nothing happened. That shift leader continued to work and harass me. They even put me on schedules with him and I would be afraid to go to the break room by myself, or even walk to my car. I eventually had to quit because I felt like I was danger.

About Gordon Food Service

For more than 110 years, Gordon Food Service has been honoring our promises to our customers and our employees. As the largest – Read more

Gordon Food Service Salaries