Gordon Food Service Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
gordon foods is a good place to work.
Packer/Loader (Current Employee) –  Brighton, MIJuly 11, 2017
Gordon Food Service is a great place to work, plenty of chances to move around the company. Pay is good, environment is good. typical day work, I punch in , log in to computer, get my assigned work. You work at your own pace, have to be self motivated , i have always been in the tops in the country for production. I learned alot, went to refrigeration school, got certified in types 1 and 2 refrigerants. management is good, there is continued learning for leadership and up coming leaders. The hardest part of the job, may be the heat in the summer and the cold in the winter, you get use to in and dress for your environment. The most enjoyable part of the job is probably the people you work with, pretty casual envornment, and everyone helps each other get things done.
Pros
good pay, good benefits
Cons
hot in the summer, cold in the winter, but you get use to it
All around a solid place to work
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bay City, MIJuly 11, 2017
I did not expect to be working for this company for 4 years, but when you find a place that accommodates to your schedule, it is hard to say no. I would say a sales associate job is one of the easiest, but repetitive, job I have had. The most enjoyable part is the fellow coworkers, I have made some lifelong friends while working here. Friends that have my back outside of work, which is one reason why I like this job. It doesn't pay the best, but it is fair for the job you do.
Pros
Easy, Fast paced, coworkers
Cons
pay, holidays, store hours on sunday
Sales goals are very reachable and Mngmt is involed in your day to day
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILJuly 10, 2017
Management here is always there to help you and it is very good company to work for. Sales goals are hard to reach but somone is always there to help. Compensation is excellent.
Pros
Company car, good wage
Cons
longer hours needed to hit goals
Great place to work, but physically demanding job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Benton Harbor, MIJuly 10, 2017
As a cashier you were lifting heavy large items all day. Everything had to be removed from one cart and put into another! Then at closing in the evening you are responsible for sweeping, mopping, and cleaning the entire front end of the store including the customer service area, all the registers, the meat cutting room, and the public restrooms. Physically demanding - good for the younger generations.
Great job for high school age employees
Sales Associate / Cashier (Former Employee) –  Comstock Park, MIJuly 10, 2017
I worked here with a couple of my best friends so I had a blast. this is a job you can enjoy once you get familiar and comfortable with your co-workers.
Pros
great enviorment
Cons
a lot of late nights around the holidays
Great company...
Service Technician - Chemical/Beverage Department (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJuly 7, 2017
I enjoyed many years of work for GFS. Great company to work for! I recommend this as a future place of employment for anybody looking for a job. Good pay and great benefits!
Easy but boring job
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 6, 2017
Besides the head store manager, all assistant managers seem under qualified and lazy at times. Everyone is usually pretty easy to get along with and stocking is pretty self explanatory.
Decent job for teenagers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYJuly 6, 2017
It's a standard job at a grocery store chain other than it's smaller than most. That being said, you will be doing more of a variety of jobs than you would at a bigger grocery store.
not the best
Employee (Former Employee) –  Niles, OHJuly 2, 2017
the people who work there always have attitudes. the management there isn't very much better. the best thing about the place is the food and the mass consumptions
The job had the potential to be fun, however associates worked late routinely. Raises were not given per schedule.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Elkhart, INJune 29, 2017
Stayed late routinely, schedule did not reflect the actual work needed to be done. The staff got along well and helped made the job more fun. The customers, many regulars, were great to work with!
Pros
Better pay then some retail stores.
Cons
Management consistancy.
Great company Fun guys to work with.
Full time Employee, Batch setup/Packer (Former Employee) –  Wyoming, MIJune 28, 2017
The company itself is great. They offer Great benefits, good pay. But more than likely you will start on third shift. But the guys you work with are usually hard workers and have a unfiltered sense of humor. Good management as well. The work is tough and physical though if you are in the warehouse, so just got to be able to tough it out.
Pros
free coffee, free lunches once in awhile.
Cons
short breaks, exhausting work.
nice local company and great bunch of guys to work with
Chain Delivery Specialist (Former Employee) –  Springfield, OHJune 27, 2017
very nice company to work for. good pay and benefits. 4 day work week with the possibility of picking up additional days if needed. quarterly bonuses for safety, accuracy and fuel mileage. profit sharing and company match 401k.
Pros
401 company match
Cons
advancement is difficult due to company policies in place
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Kokomo, INJune 27, 2017
The best part of my job is getting to know different people, whether it is co-workers or our customers. I have been given a lot of free meals from our customers because I have developed good friendships with them as I see a lot of them on a daily basis. I enjoy working with management and they are flexible when I need a certain day off.
Pros
Discounts on groceries and friendly environment. Great Head Manager to work with.
Cons
Low wages and slow to give raises. Good part time job for me.
Lots of work
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Coppell, TXJune 26, 2017
Freezer or dry you will work work work.
45 minute lunch and one 15 minute break

warehouse forklift pick and wrap preparing to be shipped off.

Pay is okay when you hit over time which is every day you work.

Night shift starts at 2/3pm and ends around 4am/530am you get 2 not together days off.

I say by the time I get home, eat, shower, and bed to wake up. Im averaging around 6 hours of sleep.

If you have a family that you want to spend time with, dont count on it.

I feel like a robot and all I do is work, fuel, and minimum sleep.

Benefits are not up front, you'll need on building your flex prior to getting any sick or vacation, it builds slowly. Insurance starts 30 days after higher on and matched 401k 60days after higher on.
Pros
Paycheck
Cons
No sleep
Very comfortable work environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Novi, MIJune 25, 2017
Great management who keeps pushing you to become a better worker, also providing a fun and caring work environment. Not too hard of a job and helps with communication skills dealing with customer service.
Pros
Flexible scheduling
Consistent work which is a plus
Warehouse Worker Selector (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLJune 22, 2017
Good benefits with consistent work management team can have better communication with the workers and each other also with work schedule. Work environment can be better
N/a
Trailer-Driver Delivery (Former Employee) –  Belcamp, MDJune 22, 2017
Drove tractor trailers. Pay was not what they said it was. Management need improvement. Routes were not always coordinated appropriately. They need to improve overall.
Professional with High Standards and Values
Customer Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJune 21, 2017
Spent most of my time cold calling and looking for new accounts. Then spent time building relationships. Learned a new sales process and approach to building relationships before getting to the transaction stage.
Selector (Former Employee) –  Imperial, PA 15126June 19, 2017
It was a fast paced job but good to work for leaders was very helpful and so was the other workers. I would recommend to lots of people to work for them
Great Place to Work
Executive Assistant to Chief Accounting Officer (Current Employee) –  Wyoming, MIJune 19, 2017
Work-life balance and benefits are great at GFS. They even offer tuition reimbursement for myself, my spouse, and my children. Pay is very competative as well.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gordon Food Service. Our community is ready to answer.