Gordon Food Service Employee Reviews

Cornerstone values are just talk
Selector (Former Employee) –  Wyoming, MIJune 8, 2016
When I started out part-time, it was wonderful, I was part of a new crew brought in to a new warehouse and my co-workers and I were like family. The work was very doable and I was bent on going full-time at the company. Well after 6 months I landed a selection position at one of the older buildings. I swear 5 years came off my life in the past year. They say that the cornerstone values are that the customer must receive the right items, and yet they rush us relentlessly to get things done. We're "full time" and yet we never get 40 hours unless we are ungodly short handed and yet it's important we get our work done and get out QUICK QUICK QUICK. It's also ungodly competetive. And you get one hour break after 4-5 hours of nonstop breaking your back. And on sunday which is the biggest day of the week you only get 40 mins. Now the pay rate is wonderful, but the instability of the hours can take the joy right out of it. They say how family like the atmosphere is..................That's if you select SUPER SUPER FAST, otherwise you may as well be a choir singer amongst the basketball team. There's a demo video on youtube, and the guy doing the demo is going at half the speed we're expected at the real job. BOTTOM LINE, unless you were an athlete all your life, don't go for a selection job. If you're old enough, it could very well kill you.
Pros
Pay(when we got all our hours)
Cons
Ridiculous expectations.
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  FKINTJune 4, 2016
Company has great values. Cares very much for their management staff as well as their sales associates. Great training. Good work, family ratio. Hardest part was to get everything done in one day. Learned a lot from this company
Awful place to work. I would never recommend anyone to this place!
Selector (Former Employee) –  Imperial, PAJune 2, 2016
Never apply to this company you will hate your life. They tell you how easy it is but it's not. They lie about everything and it's just a garbage company.
Productive, friendly workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Heath, OHMay 22, 2016
GFS was like a family. Amazing individuals. the workload can be very overwhelming.To advance in the business is almost immpossible.
Pros
the family like enviroment
Cons
the workload for the pay
Really good Coworkers and Awesome managers
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Midland, MIMay 21, 2016
the managers are all really cool, they can help you with just about anything if you yourself need help and this is probably one of the best entry level jobs out there especially for retail. I've never had any problems with any of my coworkers they are all easy to get along with
Pros
10% discount on all merchandise, once in a while food in the break room, coworkers are friendly and fun, form professional relationships with business owners in the area.
Cons
Not required to be given a break, lots of standing and movement....recommend good shoes
great place to work for
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMay 19, 2016
its was a great place to work for the department closed down so we were all let go. People were very nice and helpful, the environment is cold but the company gives you equipment for that.
Not for me extreem cold
Selector (Former Employee) –  Pottsville, PAMay 12, 2016
The grocery part of the bldg was ok.....after u get in the freezer it was nothing but miserable the cold is unbearable also the employees are want to be bosses management however is fair the people in the office are great and u get some training before being cut loose
Pros
pay, managers
Cons
freezer and know it alls
Quality Employer
District Manager (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OHMay 7, 2016
Great place to build relationships with customers and have the opportunity to help them grow their business! Positive environment and culture, good place to work.
Workplace
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  South Euclid, OHMay 1, 2016
Great work place environment. Very team oriented. Day to day tasks included helping customers, stocking, planograms, making sure the store is neat and tidy.
Store Manager
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Goodlettsville, TNApril 28, 2016
 Responsible for operations of the store including but not limited to Labor, Sales, budgets, forecasting, top and bottom line
Amazing Culture
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAApril 25, 2016
Everyone who worked at Gordon Food Service Store was like family. We all got along great and all of our personalities complimented one another. The returning customers were awesome.
Productive Work Enviornment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 25, 2016
Enjoyable job, heavy interaction with customers, fast paced work environment. I learned how to handle cash transactions and provide customer service. Very different work atmosphere than one would expect in a grocery store, maintained a level of professionalism that was enjoyable.
Horribly disrespectful and rude boss
Cashier Associate (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MIApril 21, 2016
I first started and they told me I was going to be a cashier. I am 17 years old and had never worked register before. I received literally no training at all and the boss even acknowledged that. I was thrown in and every time I called for help because I had no idea what I was doing the boss would get mad. Everyone that works here was EXTREMELY disrespectful. I felt like I was back in school with the rumors and gossip that would be going on. I absolutely hated it after only 3 weeks and I ended up quitting after one of my shifts that the managers took the amount of disrespect to a whole new level. I will never be back at a Gordon's store. Nor will any of my family and I'm going to let everyone know just how badly I was treated.
Productive and customer based enviorment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Findlay, OHApril 20, 2016
Gordon Food Service Store has been a good experience. They should me how a store should be ran and how a work place can be fun.
Tough Work but if you are willing to put in the work and show you want to be there, they will help you succeed and advance
Order Selector (Current Employee) –  green oak brighton, miApril 18, 2016
It is pretty physical work, but if you work hard, the incentive pay is quite nice and is almost like an extra huge check every month. The pay is pretty decent, definitely a lot more than other warehouses will give you. Its a dirty job, but if you show leadership that you want to be there and have that "drive" to push through and succeed, they take notice and will help you get to where you want to go. They have a growth and development plan for everyone and for the most part, stick to it. You have to remind them a few times to make sure you get cross training opportunities, but I don't blame them when so much is going on. They like when you take the initiative and show you really want to move up there. They have already helped me and cross trained me on other things and I have a development plan going for leadership. If you can tough through the bottom of the food chain for a little bit, it will be worth it. They are a family here and will help you move and grow within the company if you want to put in the effort. The only thing that I can say I haven't liked is as they have grown a little bit, they have taken a few things away, but they still give us plenty more than a lot of companies.
Pros
Although christmas and thanksgiving bonus for working on those days, they have made it double time which isnt entirely taking it away..hire from within, care about your future there, family atmosphere, good pay and many incentives.
Cons
some things have been taken away like christmas bonuses, have to remind leadership to cross train you on things and work on development plan
Good job to work for environment and moral not high
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Boardman, OHApril 16, 2016
I love the job I have and enjoy the tasks I have and many of the associates I work with. I do not like the fact that many people are not trained correctly, and are not held accountable for their actions. Many people get away with things and dont do their work while others are forced to hold the load and keep the store in good shape without management acknowledging the problem or holding them associates accountable many excuses are made by management to keep away from acknowledging the problems and the work load is thrown on the top associates. if it was a better work environment, and I was able to move up in the company I would love to stay but circumstances in the last 8 months has made me think it maybe time to move on.
Pros
Trained in all aspects of grocery very flexible with availability
Cons
many employees are not hard workers, management doesnt want to solved the problems we have
Challenging yet enjoyable workplace
Sales Associate (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, OHApril 12, 2016
The most enjoyable part of my job was working with customers. Retail can have a bad rep but more than half of the customers (business owners, retail, sales reps) were fun to interact with and help.
Friendly and excellent customer service store
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLApril 11, 2016
A typical day at work is always doing something, mainly long tasks such as organizing merchandise (heavy merchandise), helping customers finding their best option and giving my best at all time. I have to deal with bilingual customers of important business associated to our store. The hardest part of the job is downloading all the merchandise, because is way too heavy, but I can deal with that. I love the team of workers, always happy, friendly and helping each other and customers. I have learned how to help people the best I can, coding items and doing some inventory.
Pros
Experience, friendly environment
Cons
None benefit, not full time job
Great Workplace.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Grove City, OHApril 8, 2016
Stocking the shelves of a grocery store doesn't sound like the greatest thing in the world, but somebody has to do it. At GFS they made the workplace a fun place to be. They had competitions between the employees on who could come up with most sales, and who could help out the most customers.
Pros
Free Lunches
The BEST family owned company out there.
Customer Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cadillac, MIApril 4, 2016
Great company to work for. Has a wonderful reputation with customer base. The best tools and resources on the market to provide value to the customer.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gordon Food Service. Our community is ready to answer.