Goucher College Employee Reviews

Great people, stressful environment
Information Technology (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDNovember 10, 2017
Working at Goucher is a place full of wonderful people, with bizarre decisions made by senior staff that affect everybody underneath. Pay is low, stress level is high, work/life balance is nonexistent, and double standards are everywhere.

I've made some of my best friends working here.

I've also had days where I can't wait for my next vacation.
Pros
Great people, Good culture, Beautiful Campus
Cons
Poor budgeting, Disconnected Senior Staff, Low pay
Poor Managment
Work Management Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDOctober 16, 2017
Facilities Director "does not micro manage". Lost over half of service staff due to management. Working with only 11 service staff to maintain 287 acres, 5 dorm buildings and 11 support buildings. Moral was very low and staff were not engaged. Very sad place to work...
Pros
Nice benefits
Cons
Goucher College has lost it's shine
Small but effective teams
IT Manager (Current Employee) –  Information TechnologyJuly 31, 2017
Goucher is a place undergoing tremendous change. The difficult thing about that change is the overall staffing is small. The great thing about the change is that with a small staff you can have tremendous impact.
Pros
Easy people to work with.
Cons
Lots of work and not many people to do it.
Very one sided
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDJune 6, 2017
This place was horrible, you are forced to work in sweltering temperatures in the summer. The management shows favoritism and it shows. Seems like if you do your job properly you are forced to do the work of those who wont
Student worker
Assistant Secretary (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 27, 2017
My boss' were my family
I was able to do my school work and required work during shift
Hardest part of job- losing one of my boss' to brain cancer, was like losing a family member.
I learned how to write a professional e-mail from this experience.
A Student Job
Educational Media Specialist (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 8, 2017
There is so much you can learn from a student job on Goucher campus. You will have moments where you work extremely hard and moments where it is the most laid back job you will ever have. My boss was amazing though and it was always fun to come into work. You will learn to balance work and outside responsibilities and earn some money along the way.
Interesting place to work
Confedential (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 8, 2017
An Interesting place to work a diverse group of people, with different personalities that work well together. The typical day is different and you never know what to expect.
Pros
GREAT Benefits! You can either be complacent or thrive it's up to you.
customer service
Reprographics Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDMarch 24, 2017
Oversee and run the printing office. Print and duplicate materials submitted from campus community and maintain all supplies and materials used by the printing office. Operated Xerox 5090, 2112, 550 color copy machines. Operated fold, cutter and padding machines. Performed routine maintenance on machines operated booklet maker. Ordered supplies and maintained inventory, tracked and monitored billing. Answered phone calls for all work performed. Assisted the mail office with mail delivery and postal sorting on a part time basis.
Pros
steady employment
Cons
fear of being laid off
Fun work place.
Reprographics Coodinator (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 12, 2017
Very good work day.Learned a lot about people and jobs that i have done. Management was good to get a long with. Every one was good to me. The hardest part of my job was to get the work out on time. Making people happy when they walked up to get there jobs.
Pros
Met a lot of nice people.
Brief but Powerful
Part Time Adjunct Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 21, 2016
My time at Goucher College was brief as it was only designed for one semester. I was able to work with a great group of Masters of Arts in Teaching students to build capacity for teaching science in the elementary school setting.
great school
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDOctober 13, 2016
for a volunteer job it was great. i worked in the grad office making copies and answering the phone. my co workers were great and my boss was very helpful to me and i was happy to be there and i visit there often.
Probably better pay if you're not a student
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDJune 21, 2016
I worked at Goucher College while pursuing my education. While some jobs offer regular raises, others don't. However, the staff there (particularly in HR and the chemistry department) are fantastic and very easy to get along with.
Pros
Flexible hours, on-site dining, relaxed atmosphere
Cons
Low pay, minimal chances for advancement
par-time employees have no benefits
Public Safety Officer (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 2, 2015
If you want to earn leave time don't apply for a part-time position. You will be offered health insurance, but it is expensive.
Great work place, with people who really care about the student-athletes.
Strength & Conditioning Coach (Current Employee) –  Dundalk, MDApril 29, 2015
I have worked at Goucher for over 4-years and it has been a great experience. The staff there is one of a kind and genuinely cares about the well-being of the student-athletes.
Not recommended for administrative professionals
Assistant to Exec Director for Alumnae/i Affairs (Former Employee) –  TowsonSeptember 30, 2014
Typical day - don't see, don't talk, don't ask
Learned - how to deal with unskilled and incompetent managers
Management - what is that?
Co-workers - diverse group
Hardest part of the job - being heard
Most enjoyable part of the job - dealing with students
Pros
nice grounds
Cons
who cares
Hard worker work well with teamplayers
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 14, 2014
I would like to work and apply myself in all area of your company I am willing to work hard for your company.
Secretary Job
Faculty Secretary Assistance (Former Employee) –  Baltimore MDMay 27, 2014
My job at Goucher College was amazing. I was a student worker there. Now that I graduated, I no longer have the job.
Work Study Job
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 22, 2014
I loved being an office assistant. I am very organized and had the opportunity to meet and help new people all the time. I learned how to run an office smoothly and how to be even more organized than before. I wish this wasn't a work study job and was a place I could have permanent employment.
Pros
Easy going environment, helpful and friendly co workers
Cons
work study not permanent
Good Liberal Arts college with progressive Faculty
Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDDecember 5, 2013
My Tenure at Goucher was very enjoyable. A very well run institution with a great faculty. The President is very progressive and has made great strides in bringing the College into the twenty first century.
Pros
Size: Student Population is just the right size..
Cons
Working with faculty/students was fulfilling but the politics of the education system was overwhelming at times.
Chemical Stockroom MGR/Chemical Hygiene Officer (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 20, 2013
On a weekly basis I prepped solutions for 6-8 chemistry and bio-chemistry teaching laboratories, both undergraduate and post-graduate. I maintained, calibrated and operated instruments and equipment for all. I organized and maintained an orderly stockroom. I ordered all consumables , chemicals and equipment. I routinely met with faculty(8 members) to determine their needs for each semester depending on who was teaching which class and how they like their lab set up. The faculty members were helpful but at times the students could get out of hand. I also managed each student teaching assistant and facilitator with time cards representing the time spent working in the chemistry department. I managed all waste disposal and removal from the campus via a waste disposal company.
Pros
Beautiful campus, able to carpool with others
Cons
I was two people for the price of one