Government of the District of Columbia Employee Reviews

Predictive Analyst (Contractor) (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 16, 2016
Has been a contractor - very nice agency. I have been doing data analysis along with other technical assignments. Very nice team, super helpful and cooperative!
Good Government Job
Staff Assistant (Former Employee) –  washington, dcSeptember 24, 2015
That is how all of the employees act... As if they are scared to lose their good government job. We have laws concerning slavery and workers' rights for a reason. They cannot be enforced if everyone is walking around with their tale between their legs
Pros
job security
DC Government
Planning and Operations (Current Employee) –  2100 East Capitol Street SEMay 15, 2015
Is dynamic and exciting and I am able to provide assistance to the residents of my city. It is my pleasure to assist families who are not aware of the benefits and services that can improve their quality of life. While serving on active duty, I truly understand the need to be prepared in case of disasters, whether natural or domestic. Since our current threat level has increased, I am proud to be one of the manager of the Washington DC Joint Operations Center (DCJOC).

I manage the operation of communications, detection, and weapons systems essential for controlling air, ground, and naval operations. Duties include managing critical communication links between air, naval, and ground forces; formulating and implementing emergency plans for natural and wartime disasters; coordinating emergency response teams and agencies; evaluating command center information and need for high-level military and government reporting; managing the operation of surveillance and detection systems; providing technical information and advice on capabilities and operational readiness.
Pros
Still serving and keeping America safe
Fast Paced with a side of Political Jargen
Office of the State Superintendent of Education (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 20, 2015
A typical day includes ensuring that the Agency is with compliance with the ever changing policies that the District of Columbia has set forth. There is never two days that are similar. I feel that the most enjoyable part of my day is the interacting with government officials and staying on the cutting edge of new and proposed laws for the educational community.
Pros
Ability to bring into effect the educational needs of the citizens of the District
Cons
Tons of Political rhetoric
Everything you'd expect government to be and worse
Worker (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 30, 2015
I work for an agency that is supposed to do good things for residents of the District of Columbia, unfortunately the culture is that of incompetence, corruption and personal enrichment for the employees and their friends/family.
My duties intailed overseeing the facilites call center
Supervisory Management Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 29, 2015
Ensure that all calls are picked up in a timely manner from the customers. Ensure that all Facilty Maintenace Request are put in the system.
Pros
healthcare
My DC Government Journey
Chief of Staff/Deputy Director (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 28, 2015
I thoroughly enjoy being a public servant at the local level, which allows me to see the difference that I am making in the lives of older adults, people living with disabilities and caregivers. For the last 8 years, I have awakened every morning excited about what the day has to offer and looking for new ways to make DC an age-friendly city. I am now looking for a career change and to do something new and welcome any opportunities that would be a natural fit.
Pros
being able to directly impact residents
Cons
having to do more w/less resources
Enjoyed auditing various Medicaid programs
Senior Auditor-in-Charge (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 29, 2014
As a Senior Auditor, I worked closely with upper management. A typical involved data analysis, supervision, reviewing word papers and report writing. I learned various things about different Medicaid programs included fraud. I managed 1 or 2 employees and upper management allowed me to plan and conduct the audits. I did not find the day to day hard in any way. I really enjoyed dealing with the audit clients to uncover audit deficiencies within programs.
Pros
i really enjoyed medicaid auditing
Cons
salary
Wonderful coworkers and excited about the work and mission of the agency
Recruitment Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington DCAugust 20, 2014
I love the work I do and helping others. As the recruitment manager I always get excited about bringing on staff because they would assist with helping serve the children and the parents in the district get the necessary and adequate services needed.
Pros
comparable pay
Cons
high turnover
DC Gov is NOT for forward thinking professionals
Management (Human Resources) (Current Employee) –  Washington DCJune 23, 2014
DC Government has possibly the worst business & professional culture of any organization I've worked with in the past decade. Very unprofessional, a great majority of the employees benefitted from nepotism, unfair, unethical and borderline (if not) illegal hiring practices, antiquated systems and processes as well as the mindset of employees.

DC Gov is the perfect place for a "Yes Man". Most employees have been there for ages and could care less about productivity. They simply go through the motions and race out of there at 5pm, if not before. There is NO ACCOUNTABILITY. DC Gov management is even worse. There is absolutely no support given to or coming from managers. Most managers are afraid to lose their jobs so they assimilate and conform to group think.

If my tax dollars weren't being wasted, I wouldn't care about how poorly run DC Government is. I wouldn't care that the citizens of DC pay the salaries of these workers. I wouldnt expect more from a government that taxes its citizens but does not represent their interest. DC Gov has a LOOOOONG way to go. It would honestly take a complete overhaul to fix it. DC Gov is full of dead weight.

Do yourself a favor, don't even waste your time or talent working for an organization that does not value hard work.
Pros
pay
Cons
culture, staff, antiquated policies, procedures, systems and business culture
Good experience
EXECUTIVE OFFICE OF THE MAYOR, VINCENT C. GRAY (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 25, 2014
I have enjoyed my experience very much but I am ready to move on.
Consistent employment
Staff Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 30, 2014
Government work is consistent, employment is federally grant funded so there is job security, very little threat of furlough.
Not a fun work place
Controller (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 5, 2013
Work environment too political and absolutely has no job security no matter what remarkable improvement you have brought to the job. Lots of chronism and does not matter what you know but who you know. Employees are treated as disposable just because the OCFO can hide behind "AT Will" law.
Productive, exciting workplace
Vital Statistics Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 22, 2013
The work I perform is most sedetary, administrative work. I serve as a subject matter expert assisting with the scanning and digitization of Vital Records paper records. My responsibilities include testing the electronic
Pros
provide valuable service to the public
Cons
lack of support from management, lack of resources/ equipment to be successful
worst place to work
Automotive Mechanic Supervisor (Current Employee) –  DCNovember 6, 2013
worst place you could work at very rundown work location The equipment run down poor maintenance on all vehicles .
Pros
there no freebies in this company
Cons
it's not safe to leave the work site for any kind of food
Not a true law enfocement agency, weak/bad managers! No respect
Clerk (Former Employee) –  441March 18, 2013
The DC IG investigations unit is weak and has no standing with the FBI, US Atty, or other DC govt agencies. They make no arrests, have no seizure Auth. They have no real investigative training and no specialized units. Oh, And do not present federal cases without a Real Fed or a police officer. They just spent countless investgative hours on DC employees misuse of parking placards...wow real FRAUD cases. THey also had a major Medicaid case....a caregiver slapped a patient. This investigative unit is just for show and not for real results in order to make significant impact. A real joke, on the taxpayers.
Cons
way too many to list
Not good for your career, mental health or well being
manager (Former Employee) –  financeMarch 5, 2013
This organization has many issues. It is not a good workplace if you have ethics, knowledge and aspire to be a good public servant. There is a lot of chaos and confusion. This organization thrives on backstabbing and favoritism at all levels from frontline to senior management. There is no job security no rewards for doing your job just fighting and chaos all around. They put up a good game to the general public and other government officials.
Productive workplace
Tax Examiner (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 31, 2013
• Determined tax liability or collect taxes from individuals or business firms according to prescribed laws and regulations.
• Collected taxes from individuals or businesses according to prescribed laws and regulations.
• Maintained knowledge of tax code changes, and of accounting procedures and theory in order to properly evaluate financial information.
• Maintained records for each case, including contacts, telephone numbers, and actions taken.
• Conferred with taxpayers or their representatives in order to discuss the issues, laws, and regulations involved in returns, and to resolve problems with returns.
• Contacted taxpayers by mail or telephone in order to address discrepancies and to request supporting documentation.
• Sent notices to taxpayers when accounts are delinquent.
interested in working in Mental Health don't go there.
d.c.. (Current Employee) –  alabama ave s.e.November 29, 2012
St Elizabeths is run by a management that treats its Recovery Assistants like mules. They micro manage every detail and hire poor leadership as managers who will lie to save themselves when something questionable avails itself. treatment for patients in recovery is not cohesively carried out to help the parients in their care. Many staff doctors and nurses get hurt and or harmed as a result of a poor training department that they claim should prepare its new employees. you will be taking an huge risk by working there. Those that continie to stay are there because of money gained through work for overtime duties. wards are constantly being understaffed which increases the risk of the safety for both the employee and the patients.
Cons
too many to list. management that lacks leadership
Life at Dept. Of Employment Services
Clerical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 14, 2012
A typical day at work is working with hundreds of walk in customers and helping them find jobs and getting to where they need to be. I have been working there for 3 months now, before then i was working with unemployment in a call center for a year, that was also working with tons of customers with problems and questions, before that, I was working in the Director's Office for the agency for 8 years and 8 months. When I was working in that office I was dealing with customers over e-mail, phone as well as in person. The department is a well organized agency.My co-workers are great and awesome to work with. What I have learned while working with this agency is customers need help and a smile with plenty of customer service is all they need.(sometimes). The most enjoyable part of the job is helping people that need our help with a smile. The hardest part of the job is when I can not help thecustomer because they are too late for filing for unemployment or if they do not have all the information they need.

2.6