Governors State University Employee Reviews

Great place to learn and grow
Project Management in Health Sciences (Current Employee) –  University Park, ILNovember 3, 2016
Opportunities to enhance educational experience in a diverse setting. A typical day at work is to service students and faculty in addressing academic concerns. Management is focused and organized with the ability to address academic guidelines, as well as motivate students to continue their education in focused areas.
Pros
Educational growth
Cons
Limited ability to enhance career
At governors State they became a four year college in 2014. Things changed fast.
Adjunct Science Librarian (Former Employee) –  University Park, ILMarch 9, 2017
I enjoy working at Governors State University. The workplace is friendly. My main responsibilities were to teach undergraduate students on searching all the library databases. They usually had picnics, and barbecues and Christmas parties for the staff. I especially liked the interaction with other divisions, and colleagues. There was a healthy exchange of ideas. Some Divisions are more forward minded than others. But overall the faculty is dedicated to teaching, and being effective in their mission.
Pros
I liked that if the weather was bad I could work from home, I liked the feeling of accomplishmnet working at GSU
Cons
Commute was more than a hour.
it is a great place to work. There is opportunity to advance education, i.e., PhD, with the University paying some of the cost (at 6 cr/semester)
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  University Park, ILJune 7, 2016
Pay is not very good for some staff; but, benefits are absolutely amazing. The educational opportunities are fantastic and at an affordable cost.
Pros
paid time off; tuition reimbursement for employees; partial tuition reimbursement for dependents.
Cons
compensation; advancement opportunities without advanced degree.
Productive place to work as a Graduate Assistant
Graduate Assistant, College of Business (Current Employee) –  University Park, ILJanuary 5, 2017
The most enjoyable part of the job is the variety of work and working with different professors and gaining knowledge from them that have been working in their fields for a long time. The relationships and the information they impart are invaluable.
Success by Degrees
Benefits Counselor (Former Employee) –  University Park, ILAugust 5, 2016
Governors State has a unique atmosphere set in the mist of protected prairie lands on the Southern Suburbs of Chicago. I had the pleasure of meeting many people who have impacted my life forever as well as learned many valuable lessons from each work experience. I learned to work together with a community to come up with valid solutions to tempestuous economic climate. I learned hard work and positioning myself for the most important task through the day. The hardest part of my job was the interruptions that though I successfully handled them, keeping the place of where I was at with present task took maneuvering with excellence. The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to help people through my expertise in customer service.
Pros
People, Location, 4 year university
Cons
State economics, Cuts, Community Fears
Ok gsu
Audio/Visual Coordinator (Former Employee) –  University Park, ILDecember 18, 2016
I had noticed that all of my fellow co-workers were very friendly and fun to work with. The working environment was very nice, because of all the stage actors and music producers, who were very friendly.
Pros
Free shows to watch
Cons
no pay when working there.
Great learning experience
Teacher (Current Employee) –  University Park, ILMay 17, 2016
This place is great to learn but there is no room for advancement. The teachers are great but administration could be more team players. Overall, this place is nice.
Gsu I
Student Coordinator (Former Employee) –  University Park, ILSeptember 26, 2016
t's all about your team. That can make or break this job for you. If you have the right team with you then it will be great. They don;t pay on time.
Great Diversity
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  University Park, ILApril 25, 2015
Governors State University is a great place to work. The faculty and staff are a wonderful diverse group from all different life stages and cultures. They work hard to get things done in a timely manner. Management is exceptional. they always try to find alternatives that would help you and the staff if a life situation were to occur.
Pros
Great campus events
Cons
recent budget cuts
Good workplace for nontraditional experiences
Director of Recruitment & Outreach (Current Employee) –  University Park, IlMay 11, 2016
Working at GSU has afforded me the skillset of creating the first recruitment department in the university's history. Also I was involved in the transitioning from a 2-year upper divisional institution to a 4-year full comprehensive institution.

The challenging part of the job was working in an environment with many antiquated systems and processes.
The most enjoyable experience I had at GSU was the challenge of building and transitioning.

Want to know more about Governors State University?

Ask a question
A Typical Day
Teacher (Current Employee) –  University Park, ILMay 10, 2016
A typical day starts like any other day of any professional in any field and could not be more unique. We wake early. Whether online or in our office, we address student and administrative needs throughout the day. We work on our research and publications. We meet with community groups with which we are involved. We teach classes and grab a quick bite in between them.
Governors State University is a very good place to be.
ORIENTATION LEADER (Current Employee) –  Richton Park, ILApril 20, 2016
Everyone is eager to help you out. Professors actually help you by recommending you to employers. The hardest part would be the budget cuts that GSU is suffering, many people are in danger of losing their jobs.
Pros
You get to meet important people.
Cons
Budget cuts
Great Professional Team
Administrative Clerk (Former Employee) –  University Park, ILApril 4, 2016
• Maintained and updated critical information in the school’s database
• Assisted with Monthly Budget process
• Composed and mailed correspondence
• Processed reports using Microsoft Excel and Word;
• Executed basic administrative duties; filing and other duties
Pros
Great Team; enthusiastic and thorough who cares about proficiency
Cons
Budget
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Park Forest, ILJanuary 17, 2016
Good place to work. Typical university in many ways. The only downside was the quality of student, however I did my part by tutoring the students who usually were very willing to work hard.
Highly-paced working / learning / training office
Office Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILNovember 5, 2014
A typical day at work consists of our 800 line ringing virtually back to back and receiving/answering at least 100 phone calls and 60 emails per day. Working in this office has been a very good experience and has helped me grow in many ways. I enjoy working with everyone in my office and being able to provide assistance to child welfare staff as well as foster parents.

The hardest part of my job is the limited communication between management and staff. It seems as though they have no clue how our office functions and/or how it should function and this can be very discouraging at times. Even though I have grown professionally, there is no room for any further growth in my office.

Needless to say, I enjoy the job for the most part.
Excellent place to work
Graduate Assistant, Provost Office (Former Employee) –  University Park, ILApril 27, 2016
A typical day at work is laid back and easy. The job keeps you busy so the time goes by fast. The co-workers are friendly and very helpful if any questions or concerns arise.
Energetic Office Atmosphere with a Great Team of Employees
Administrative Clerk (Former Employee) –  University Park, ILFebruary 19, 2016
Park Forest Chiropractic was a very busy office which required a great team of employees. I really learned what it means to multi-task in this position. The most enjoyable part of this position was interacting with the clients and performing duties that assisted the Doctors with the patients.
Pros
Flexible employers, great team of co-workers
Cons
The pay
Outstanding University
Payroll Specialist (Former Employee) –  University Park, IL 60484April 22, 2016
Totally committed to the welfare of the community and students education. Excellent Faculty committed to giving a quality education to all students.
Pros
Outstanding Faculty
Higher education setting with emphasis on employee incentives. Excellent Benefits and retirement plan.
Purchasing Officer II (Current Employee) –  University Park, IllinoisApril 10, 2015
Governors State University sets a friendly academic setting for both students and staff. There are opportunities for free tuition for staff members and their dependents after two years of employment. We are considered State Employees, so we have excellent medical and dental benefits. The vacation and sick time compensation is fair.
Pros
Free tuition after two years of service
Cons
Disparity between salaries of exempt and nonexempt employees in similar positions
Good Management
IT Consultant (Current Employee) –  University Park, ILDecember 7, 2015
Management at Governors State University is very reliable and trustworthy as far as employment goes. The environment is very relaxing and I love to enact with other employers and students.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Governors State University. Our community is ready to answer.