Governors State University Employee Reviews

Great
Student Ambassador (Current Employee) –  University Park, IL 60484February 5, 2018
It pretty nice and relaxed. Great people and environment. Truly feels like a second home. Would definitely recommend to everyone. Very diverse environment.
Administration is detroying the university
Professor (Current Employee) –  University Park, ILJanuary 28, 2018
Great faculty. Students are a mixed bunch. Terrible top management. Too much micromanagement. HR and Payroll keep on making mistakes that negatively affect the environment. Faculty have limited resources to keep their courses up-to-date or create new ones. Systems are underused due to bad management. State of Illinois benefits are deceiving. No Social Security. Salaries and benefits are deteriorating too fast.Those who can leave are leaving. Only those who cannot find a job elsewhere or are locked to the locations are staying. New hires are not the best options but few people are willing to come for the salaries offered and the problems they already see they will face.

Phrase: Last one to leave, please turn off the lights.
The college learning environment is great.
Academic Resource Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  University Park, ILJanuary 15, 2018
You will constantly learn something new on this location. You will meet new people daily from all walks of life. Great opportunity to diversify your social skills.
Pros
Learn something new everyday
Cons
Not enough income to make a living
improved technical and communication skills
Web Developer (Former Employee) –  United StatesJanuary 10, 2018
nice
Child Development Associate (Current Employee) –  University Park, ILDecember 11, 2017
nice job no problems nice w9orkplace very happy positive place if you love kids and like to teach your day will go by fast and mostly everyone works as a team its really a great fun place and the kids really enjoy it
good
Nice place
Recruiter Human Resource (Former Employee) –  University Park, ILDecember 8, 2017
GSU is managed by the State of Illinois. I was let go due to the budgetary issues of state government. I planned to stay there as long as possible. I really like the university
Pros
close to home
Cons
Illinois State budget.
Productive Work Environment for Work Study Approved Students
Student Worker (Current Employee) –  University Park, ILNovember 3, 2017
A typical day at work consists of processing paperwork (filing - copying and creating electronic copies and organizing) and taking orders from authorized faculty and staff. The staff is very inviting and the hours are perfect for students whom wish to continue their education and earn money.
Great place to work!
Community Health Intern (Former Employee) –  University Park, ILOctober 31, 2017
I enjoyed my time as a student here and as an intern even more. My supervisor taught us so much on the job I felt like I had learned more there in 3 months then in my entire college career.
Great Work Opportunity
Administrative Assistant I (Former Employee) –  University Park, ILOctober 12, 2017
It was great for me at the time. It was a temporary job for me, but it was enjoyable and I had a great staff around me. I was in what was the Interdisciplinary Studies Office, and I learned a lot of things and handled a lot of files. I really enjoyed helping get students back on track who were returning back to fulfil lifelong dreams
Career Advisor
Career Advisor, Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  University Park, ILSeptember 25, 2017
I provided a service to students and community members who needed assistance with career aspirations. I worked one on one and with groups. I conducted workshops on skills needed for resume development, job search strategies, interviewing techniques and etc.
Pros
It was rewarding to help individuals meet their potential, and the position paid a stipend and all tuition and fees for graduate school.
Cons
This was a temporary position
Fun and productive college and work experience
GSU Student Orientation Leader (Former Employee) –  University Park, ILSeptember 4, 2017
Helping students get accustomed to the institution, as well as talking to parents to inform them that this is the right college for their child. It was fun and it helped me develop my customer service skills.
Great for new comers in higher education.
Admissions Specialist (Current Employee) –  IllinoisSeptember 3, 2017
Enjoy working with coworkers but management is not supportive of staff. Management sometimes work against supportive staff instead of help them which brings down overall employee morale. Management needs to be more diversified and hire qualified individuals instead of best friends.
Pros
Convenient work location
Cons
No room to move up and is unorganized
Great atmosphere
Coordinator for Financial Services and Comptroller (Current Employee) –  University Park, ILAugust 23, 2017
The employees at GSU are professional and welcoming. They host various trainings, and from what I here seek to advance from within first. Many employees have been at GSU for over 10 years, and plan to stay until retirement!
Pros
Compensation, Benefits, Atmosphere
Cons
The geese on campus!
Adjunct Professor
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  University Park, ILAugust 16, 2017
Taught courses in Addictions and Mental health areas. Weekend courses for CEU's as well as full time degree offered. Offers numerous degree throughout colleges.
Pros
Loved weekend courses
Cons
no benefits for adjuncts
Governors State University Review
Design Manager/Creative Director (Current Employee) –  University Park, ILJuly 21, 2017
GSU is a friendly place to work. Due to the Illinois budge crisis, the campus has been hampered, but now that it's over, they are poised to do great things.

GSU is transitioning to a 4 year college and it's noticeable. A lot of the structure isn't there yet and there are some growing pains involved. They are on the right track though.
Pros
Great community
Cons
Lack of direction
Awesome!!!
Event Staff (Former Employee) –  University Park, ILJuly 14, 2017
This job was under a work/study program. I was still a student during that time at Governors State University. I have met new people and made friends.
Great Olympic Pool
Technical Support Associate (Former Employee) –  University Park, ILJune 26, 2017
School had a great pool and during lunch I would go swim some laps. Typical work day as any help desk position. Most enjoyable about working there is the co-workers.
awesome
Building Service Worker (Current Employee) –  University Park, ILJune 18, 2017
Learned a lot from management. Great working environment. Great pay. Flexible working working hours. I enjoy helping others in the university. Most people are friendly.
It was great until the Illinois budget crisis
ASP (Current Employee) –  University Park, ILJune 15, 2017
The Illinois budget crisis has ravaged public higher education in Illinois, so morale and communication is at an all-time low at this institution. I used to love it here, but now...not so much.
not great job security, but decent atmosphere
Payroll Specialist Extra Help (Former Employee) –  University Park, ILMay 30, 2017
okay place to work, budget issues make working there a difficult place to work, but the atmosphere is enjoyable. Certain areas are better to work in and more job security.