Governors State University

Governors State University Employer Reviews

Fun and friendly work environment
Assistant to Coordinator of Academic Advising (Former Employee), University Park, ILJune 12, 2014
Working in the College environment offered the ability to know that what I did was important and affected the lives of students.
Excellent student position
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), University Park, ILMay 8, 2014
Excellent for students who need money while studying full-time.
not very school focused
Admissions Processing Office Assistant I (Former Employee), University ParkMay 2, 2014
For a workstudy job they wanted too much time and didnt want you to focus on school which is what you were working towards.
great place to work
Distribution Clerk (Former Employee), University Park, ILFebruary 6, 2014
Pros: free lunches, healthcare, dental, vision
Cons: work load
Busy days and fun mostly. I enhanced my customer service skills in solving issue with customers. I also learned how to properly do inventory(which granted me my final position within the company-Inventory Specialist). The hardest part of this job was the expectations to do more work for the same pay. I enjoyed my co-workers and dealing with Instructors – more... and general public on a daily basis. – less
amazing
Student Mentor/Representative (Former Employee), University Park, ILJanuary 14, 2014
I love m school. I learned a lot from working in the offices. management was really nice
Fun with the children going to the pool and basketbal court
Teacher Assistant for project hope (Former Employee), University Park, ILDecember 7, 2013
Pros: free lunch
Serve food at 12 for children
class
activity for the day
then dismissal

Learned how to assist children with their work

Most enjoyable part was seeing the children have fun in the pool
My Grad School
Graduate Assistant, Chemistry Department (Former Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 21, 2013
Was a Graduate Assistant
I teached students how to work with HPLC's
The university is true to its mission.
STAFF DEVELOPMENT/TRAINING (Current Employee), University Park, ILJuly 2, 2013
Pros: the university encourages open communication, diversity, and ongoing research and scholarship among students and faculty alike.
Cons: illinois state funded position
First, there are no typical days where I work. As a contracted worker, my workflow is predicated on the priorities of the contracting agency. Despite having my daily schedule outlined, I am required to be flexible and shift my plans according to the order of the day. Once priorities are established, I proceed with execution of my duties. This could – more... include: training, preparation for a training event, research and development of curriculum, or meetings.

Since my employment began, my learning curve has expanded exponentially relative to training, facilitation, and development of pre-service and in-service curricula, and working within a bureaucracy.

The university management is consistent and focused. Conversely, management of the contracting agency is inconsistent, which causes confusion and frustration for the workforce.

I have the pleasure of working alongside some of the best talent available in the industry. My colleagues and I are extremely supportive of one another. We have established a work community that allows us to be open to learning and sharing, thus fostering continued personal and professional growth and development for each of us.

What frustrates me most about the job is being required to present curricula without full management support. Specifically, implementing change before management does its due diligence and without the backing of official policies.

What I enjoy most about this job is being a change agent—helping others realize their full potential. – less
Vary Productive job
Groundskeeper (Former Employee), University Park, ILMay 30, 2013
while working there it was a great job great people to work with and it was always a fun day while working
GSU Rewiew
Office of Admissions Front Desk Clerk (Current Employee), University Park, ILMay 8, 2013
Answer calls, assist prospective students with applications.
An environment that encourages learning for all types of people
President, GSU Forensics Speech and Debate Team (Current Employee), University Park, ILApril 20, 2013
Pros: adequate budget, allowance for many activities
Cons: no cons
A typical day at work is great! I meet people who are eager to improve their public speaking skills and staff members who are willing to help us with room arrangements.
Good work environment
Building Engineer (Former Employee), Governor's Park, IlApril 15, 2013
Pros: good people to work with.
My shift began with rounds, checking buildings' heating and cooling systems on BAS and physically. Any work orders were executed. I greatly enjoyed the comaradarie of my supervisor and co-workers, they were always helpful and ready to teach me anything I needed to succeed. I enjoyed going to work because of this, anything hard about the job is just – more... expected from time to time and must be done. – less
Welcome day and special events
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), University Park, ILMarch 3, 2013
Pros: the continuous learning atmosphere
Cons: long hours
General office; research for various donors for donations. Very helpful and encouraging. Monthly mass mailing. Knowing I was of value to the staff and students when needed.
Productive place to work
Director of Upward Bound (Former Employee), Chicago, ILDecember 10, 2012
Pros: educating future generation
An opportunity to use my skills in administration, education, communication, counseling, and facilitating, as well as my ability to actively listen and make educational systems work efficiently through a creative, cooperative approach with an institution that appreciates these talents and provides opportunity for growth.
Resume
Graduate Student (Former Employee), University Park, ILOctober 26, 2012
Conducted practicum and internship with residents in both skilled nursing homes and a psychiatric hospital with a ward dedicated to the geriatric population
Interesting and enjoyable place to work.
Creative Writing Teacher (Current Employee), University Park, ILSeptember 15, 2012
Working with students to heighten their awareness of the world around them through literature is the reward for hours of preparation and passion toward teaching.
excellent workplace
Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee), University Park ILAugust 26, 2012
friendly, knowledgeable staff, excellent working conditions
Internship
Intern (Former Employee), University Park, ILMay 9, 2012
Developed a plan to recruit incoming freshmen for Fall of 2012. Developed letters and presentations for guidance counselors, parents as well as incoming students.
First professional desktop opportunity
COMPUTER TECHNICIAN (Former Employee), University Park, ILMay 6, 2012
This was my first position that allowed me to truly explore desktop support. I learned so much and have taken the knowledge and experience throughout my career
One of the best places of work.
Stagehand (Current Employee), The Center for Performing ArtsNovember 16, 2011
This place of work is always different. If it is not the different people I see or the different shows I work, then I am not sure.