Governors State University

Governors State University Employer Reviews

The Future of Education
Human Resource Representative (Current Employee), University ParkJanuary 1, 2015
Pros: people
Cons: pay
Governors State University is a place of transition. From trimester to semester, upper-class university to now 4 year university, Governors State is redefining itself and setting its focus on the future student. Through our newly built learning environments where teachers live among students to encourage public square and community learning, and through our Dual Degree program which is reaching out to transitional students; we are a full service university.

It has been a privilege to be a part of the universities changes. A typical day begins with customer service and making sure that our employees' benefit issues are cared for in an effective, excellent, efficient manner. This continues into the systems that we utilize to pull reports for checking our data systems. The day continues with projects that are given by my direct supervisor and any projects that are passed down from our unit head.

I have learned to appreciate my list; they are a life line for me to take ownership of what must be done. I have learned the need for taking initiative when problems occur and I also have learned to appreciate the chain of command.

What I have seen with management is that they want our image to change through providing more information to the total university. I think it is a great move on their part. As management analyzes the work that we put in to balance old responsibilities and new responsibilities and ideas and aid in empowering the employee to own their work; we will go to another level of excellence that will be revered.

My co-workers are hardworking knowledgeable individuals – more... who really know how to move our goals. It has been an honor to learn how each person works and in the coming year I think they are ready to achieve any new goals that are set forth by management.
Communication can sometimes be a trial but we are implementing a quicker response time.

The hardest part of the job is prioritizing when everything is important, there is nothing that I want to miss.

The most enjoyable part of the job is when we succeed as a unit. – less
it is a very fun place to work in, great working memebers.
Assisrant Manager (Former Employee), University Park, ILNovember 25, 2014
Pros: free dinner, and free drinkes. may brakes if the worker need to
Cons: it was only seasonal job
I loved working in GSU. the co-workers and manager were very friendly, understanding, and fun to be around. I was the manager assesitent and I love working their. I loved training the new co-workers, because I love teaching and helping people . I also go to GSU for my Bachelors Degree. it was a night shift and very flexible schedule. worked by calling members and nonmembers for donations for the school.
Walgreens
Resident Assistant (Current Employee), University Park, ILNovember 20, 2014
Enjoy working within community getting to know all of the frequent shoppers is wonderful because you build relationships with them. Wonderful experience and many different avenues to advance within the company.
Good experience
New Student Program Assistant (Current Employee), University Park, ILNovember 18, 2014
Provides entry-level experience for those who wish to start careers in higher education
experiments and experiences
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee), University Park, ILNovember 11, 2014
Pros: good experience
Cons: less salary
Every day i had to cleen up the lab making sure that all the chemicals need for the lab are present and checking the inventory for new orders.
At times I learned much more as a graduate assistant than being a student as i was one of the many who overlooked the maintanence of instruments.
I over looked the experiments as the student were doing them and cleared droughts if they had any.
we were able to do some interesting experiments in the lab which were a lot of fun.
Highly-paced working / learning / training office
Office Support Specialist (Current Employee), Springfield, ILNovember 5, 2014
A typical day at work consists of our 800 line ringing virtually back to back and receiving/answering at least 100 phone calls and 60 emails per day. Working in this office has been a very good experience and has helped me grow in many ways. I enjoy working with everyone in my office and being able to provide assistance to child welfare staff as well as foster parents.

The hardest part of my job is the limited communication between management and staff. It seems as though they have no clue how our office functions and/or how it should function and this can be very discouraging at times. Even though I have grown professionally, there is no room for any further growth in my office.

Needless to say, I enjoy the job for the most part.
Dedicated Teaching and Training for Children and Families in Care
Associate Director (Former Employee), University Park, ILJuly 27, 2014
Pros: staff dedication
Training Specialists and Staff are dedication towards teaching and leading the child welfare workforce towards evidence base and best practice teaching instruction to enhance child welfare professional skills towards better services for children and families who have experienced trauma.
Fun and friendly work environment
Assistant to Coordinator of Academic Advising (Former Employee), University Park, ILJune 12, 2014
Working in the College environment offered the ability to know that what I did was important and affected the lives of students.
Excellent student position
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), University Park, ILMay 8, 2014
Excellent for students who need money while studying full-time.
not very school focused
Admissions Processing Office Assistant I (Former Employee), University ParkMay 2, 2014
For a workstudy job they wanted too much time and didnt want you to focus on school which is what you were working towards.
great place to work
Distribution Clerk (Former Employee), University Park, ILFebruary 6, 2014
Pros: free lunches, healthcare, dental, vision
Cons: work load
Busy days and fun mostly. I enhanced my customer service skills in solving issue with customers. I also learned how to properly do inventory(which granted me my final position within the company-Inventory Specialist). The hardest part of this job was the expectations to do more work for the same pay. I enjoyed my co-workers and dealing with Instructors and general public on a daily basis.
amazing
Student Mentor/Representative (Former Employee), University Park, ILJanuary 14, 2014
I love m school. I learned a lot from working in the offices. management was really nice
Fun with the children going to the pool and basketbal court
Teacher Assistant for project hope (Former Employee), University Park, ILDecember 7, 2013
Pros: free lunch
Serve food at 12 for children
class
activity for the day
then dismissal

Learned how to assist children with their work

Most enjoyable part was seeing the children have fun in the pool
My Grad School
Graduate Assistant, Chemistry Department (Former Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 21, 2013
Was a Graduate Assistant
I teached students how to work with HPLC's
The university is true to its mission.
STAFF DEVELOPMENT/TRAINING (Current Employee), University Park, ILJuly 2, 2013
Pros: the university encourages open communication, diversity, and ongoing research and scholarship among students and faculty alike.
Cons: illinois state funded position
First, there are no typical days where I work. As a contracted worker, my workflow is predicated on the priorities of the contracting agency. Despite having my daily schedule outlined, I am required to be flexible and shift my plans according to the order of the day. Once priorities are established, I proceed with execution of my duties. This could include: training, preparation for a training event, research and development of curriculum, or meetings.

Since my employment began, my learning curve has expanded exponentially relative to training, facilitation, and development of pre-service and in-service curricula, and working within a bureaucracy.

The university management is consistent and focused. Conversely, management of the contracting agency is inconsistent, which causes confusion and frustration for the workforce.

I have the pleasure of working alongside some of the best talent available in the industry. My colleagues and I are extremely supportive of one another. We have established a work community that allows us to be open to learning and sharing, thus fostering continued personal and professional growth and development for each of us.

What frustrates me most about the job is being required to present curricula without full management support. Specifically, implementing change before management does its due diligence and without the backing of official policies.

What I enjoy most about this job is being a change agent—helping others realize their full potential.
Vary Productive job
Groundskeeper (Former Employee), University Park, ILMay 30, 2013
while working there it was a great job great people to work with and it was always a fun day while working
GSU Rewiew
Office of Admissions Front Desk Clerk (Current Employee), University Park, ILMay 8, 2013
Answer calls, assist prospective students with applications.
An environment that encourages learning for all types of people
President, GSU Forensics Speech and Debate Team (Current Employee), University Park, ILApril 20, 2013
Pros: adequate budget, allowance for many activities
Cons: no cons
A typical day at work is great! I meet people who are eager to improve their public speaking skills and staff members who are willing to help us with room arrangements.
Good work environment
Building Engineer (Former Employee), Governor's Park, IlApril 15, 2013
Pros: good people to work with.
My shift began with rounds, checking buildings' heating and cooling systems on BAS and physically. Any work orders were executed. I greatly enjoyed the comaradarie of my supervisor and co-workers, they were always helpful and ready to teach me anything I needed to succeed. I enjoyed going to work because of this, anything hard about the job is just expected from time to time and must be done.
Welcome day and special events
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), University Park, ILMarch 3, 2013
Pros: the continuous learning atmosphere
Cons: long hours
General office; research for various donors for donations. Very helpful and encouraging. Monthly mass mailing. Knowing I was of value to the staff and students when needed.

Governors State University Photos