Governors State University Employee Reviews in United States

Outstanding University
Payroll Specialist (Former Employee) –  University Park, IL 60484April 22, 2016
Totally committed to the welfare of the community and students education. Excellent Faculty committed to giving a quality education to all students.
Pros
Outstanding Faculty
Governors State University is a very good place to be.
ORIENTATION LEADER (Current Employee) –  Richton Park, ILApril 20, 2016
Everyone is eager to help you out. Professors actually help you by recommending you to employers. The hardest part would be the budget cuts that GSU is suffering, many people are in danger of losing their jobs.
Pros
You get to meet important people.
Cons
Budget cuts
Great Professional Team
Administrative Clerk (Former Employee) –  University Park, ILApril 4, 2016
• Maintained and updated critical information in the school’s database
• Assisted with Monthly Budget process
• Composed and mailed correspondence
• Processed reports using Microsoft Excel and Word;
• Executed basic administrative duties; filing and other duties
Pros
Great Team; enthusiastic and thorough who cares about proficiency
Cons
Budget
Energetic Office Atmosphere with a Great Team of Employees
Administrative Clerk (Former Employee) –  University Park, ILFebruary 19, 2016
Park Forest Chiropractic was a very busy office which required a great team of employees. I really learned what it means to multi-task in this position. The most enjoyable part of this position was interacting with the clients and performing duties that assisted the Doctors with the patients.
Pros
Flexible employers, great team of co-workers
Cons
The pay
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Park Forest, ILJanuary 17, 2016
Good place to work. Typical university in many ways. The only downside was the quality of student, however I did my part by tutoring the students who usually were very willing to work hard.
Good Management
IT Consultant (Current Employee) –  University Park, ILDecember 7, 2015
Management at Governors State University is very reliable and trustworthy as far as employment goes. The environment is very relaxing and I love to enact with other employers and students.
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  University Park, ILJuly 25, 2015
There are definitely funding issues upon a state university but Governors is cutting edge when it comes to redefining the purpose and goals for the colleges future.
Pros
Good direction from upper management
Cons
Too many chiefs and not enough indians
Educational and Great Applied Experience of Skills
Full-time student (Current Employee) –  University Park, IlJune 11, 2015
Working in an institution of higher learning allowed the student and staff to partner together to create a product that benefited both audiences.
good place to work
Secretary (Former Employee) –  university parkway, ILJune 11, 2015
a typical day at work i would answer phones and help students with different questions they had. My co-workers were very nice and helped me with things i needed to learn and things that i didn't know yet.
No appreciation for honesty
Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  University Park, ILMay 29, 2015
My mother taught me if there's nothing nice to say, then don't say anything at all.

It really depends on the department you work in as far as job satisfaction goes.
Entry Level position
Procurement Officer II (Former Employee) –  University Park, ILMay 28, 2015
This job is strictly entry level. You are almost paying them to work. There is no room for advancement unless you transferred out of the department.
Great Diversity
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  University Park, ILApril 25, 2015
Governors State University is a great place to work. The faculty and staff are a wonderful diverse group from all different life stages and cultures. They work hard to get things done in a timely manner. Management is exceptional. they always try to find alternatives that would help you and the staff if a life situation were to occur.
Pros
Great campus events
Cons
recent budget cuts
Higher education setting with emphasis on employee incentives. Excellent Benefits and retirement plan.
Purchasing Officer II (Current Employee) –  University Park, IllinoisApril 10, 2015
Governors State University sets a friendly academic setting for both students and staff. There are opportunities for free tuition for staff members and their dependents after two years of employment. We are considered State Employees, so we have excellent medical and dental benefits. The vacation and sick time compensation is fair.
Pros
Free tuition after two years of service
Cons
Disparity between salaries of exempt and nonexempt employees in similar positions
Accessible workplace with many benefits
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  University Park, ILMarch 11, 2015
This is a great place to work if you'd like to continue your education, especially if you reside in the suburbs.

You have the chance to attain a degree at no cost as a full-time employee.
Pros
Free classes
Cons
Low salary
Fun, easy to learn and paid my tuition fees.
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  University Park, ILFebruary 4, 2015
I worked as a Graduate Assistant At Governors State University mainly because it covered my tuition fees especially being an international student. I gathered experience working in the area of academic advising in compliance with FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act) in keeping the information confidential and also adhering to the privacy policies of the university. Here I addressed the concerns of 15-20 students on an average per week on various issues pertaining to their progress within the program. My work work involved data support and analysis for the college accreditation process. The best part about this job is flexible timings and student co-workers were friendly and adaptive.
Pros
flexible timings
Cons
short breaks
The Future of Education
Human Resource Representative (Current Employee) –  University ParkJanuary 1, 2015
Governors State University is a place of transition. From trimester to semester, upper-class university to now 4 year university, Governors State is redefining itself and setting its focus on the future student. Through our newly built learning environments where teachers live among students to encourage public square and community learning, and through our Dual Degree program which is reaching out to transitional students; we are a full service university.

It has been a privilege to be a part of the universities changes. A typical day begins with customer service and making sure that our employees' benefit issues are cared for in an effective, excellent, efficient manner. This continues into the systems that we utilize to pull reports for checking our data systems. The day continues with projects that are given by my direct supervisor and any projects that are passed down from our unit head.

I have learned to appreciate my list; they are a life line for me to take ownership of what must be done. I have learned the need for taking initiative when problems occur and I also have learned to appreciate the chain of command.

What I have seen with management is that they want our image to change through providing more information to the total university. I think it is a great move on their part. As management analyzes the work that we put in to balance old responsibilities and new responsibilities and ideas and aid in empowering the employee to own their work; we will go to another level of excellence that will be revered.

My co-workers are hardworking knowledgeable individuals
  more... who really know how to move our goals. It has been an honor to learn how each person works and in the coming year I think they are ready to achieve any new goals that are set forth by management.
Communication can sometimes be a trial but we are implementing a quicker response time.

The hardest part of the job is prioritizing when everything is important, there is nothing that I want to miss.

The most enjoyable part of the job is when we succeed as a unit.
Pros
people
Cons
pay
it is a very fun place to work in, great working memebers.
Assisrant Manager (Former Employee) –  University Park, ILNovember 25, 2014
I loved working in GSU. the co-workers and manager were very friendly, understanding, and fun to be around. I was the manager assesitent and I love working their. I loved training the new co-workers, because I love teaching and helping people . I also go to GSU for my Bachelors Degree. it was a night shift and very flexible schedule. worked by calling members and nonmembers for donations for the school.
Pros
free dinner, and free drinkes. may brakes if the worker need to
Cons
it was only seasonal job
Walgreens
Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  University Park, ILNovember 20, 2014
Enjoy working within community getting to know all of the frequent shoppers is wonderful because you build relationships with them. Wonderful experience and many different avenues to advance within the company.
Good experience
New Student Program Assistant (Current Employee) –  University Park, ILNovember 18, 2014
Provides entry-level experience for those who wish to start careers in higher education
experiments and experiences
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  University Park, ILNovember 11, 2014
Every day i had to cleen up the lab making sure that all the chemicals need for the lab are present and checking the inventory for new orders.
At times I learned much more as a graduate assistant than being a student as i was one of the many who overlooked the maintanence of instruments.
I over looked the experiments as the student were doing them and cleared droughts if they had any.
we were able to do some interesting experiments in the lab which were a lot of fun.
Pros
good experience
Cons
less salary