Graham Packaging

Graham Packaging Employee Reviews

Steady Employment With Limited Advancement
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Casa Grande, AZJuly 6, 2014
The 12 hour shifts were nice because you were under the assumption you'd only have to work 3 or 4 days each week. Unfortunately mandatory overtime typically negated the chance of having a real weekend. 60 or 72 hour weeks were a norm for months at a time, depending on sales and rework.

Hourly staff was very friendly, most were very cooperative and helpful when it came to teamwork, and most of the shift supervisors were respected and well liked. Upper management often would request constructive input from hourly staff, but upon getting feedback, would dismiss their ideas. Quality was stressed above all, but many times the actions and demands of management made it clear that quantity was more important.

Mandatory meetings on off-days were bittersweet. Though it was nice to chat with coworkers and enjoy cooking out on the patio, it would've been nicer to actually enjoy the day off by not having to go to work.

Pay started low, but increased quickly within the first year. Final pay rate of machine operators and maintenance technicians was fair. Stress level depended highly on which production line you were working that night, and if any of the other operators called in sick.
Pros
pay. most of the job duties were easy. friendly coworkers, good teamwork.
Cons
mandatory overtime. mandatory meetings on days off.
General Labor
General (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAJune 13, 2013
Only worked for Graham In Modesto, CA for a few months. Pay was good, benefits sound good. Management Staff were friendly, except the fact that employees work very hard and long hours, there is no recogniition or incentives for them. let me put it this way: employees don't have much of an input on day to day production.They say they do, but they really don't listen. They don't care of there employees well being or morale. Basically, this company is 70/100 to work for and only because you get paid for it. But with ONE exception, it is 15/100 based on only one female supervisor. First of all, she is not professional, she treats new employees like there juvenile delinquents, talks to them in a scolding way,, and comments "whats wrong with you"? She strips a person from their dignity, Theres no amount of money to put up with this treatment. She is very rude! Fulltimers seem to be afraid of her, and always on edge. Iv'e been told by employees not to do a job a certain way, otherwise Female supervisor will get mad. For the company"s sake she is the only downfall. Employees have no morale, or motivation. They need to feel a part of the company and more confident. Modesto, CA
Pros
mangement staff are friendly
Cons
management gives supervisors too much lead on employees.
excessive turnover tells the true story
Quality Control (Current Employee) –  York, PANovember 19, 2014
People don't leave good companies if they are treated well and compensated appropriately for their good work. Constant turnover at corporate and at the plant management levels. If you are a slacker and you know the right people then you have it made. The people that work hard and care get slammed with extra work and ridiculed if they can't get everything done. There are certain facilities that are amazing to work for and with because their managers still care about their employees and those facilities are very productive. Unfortunately those managers continue to leave the company because of the increased stress and unproductive busy work. There are only so many ways you can tweek the same spreadsheets. The number of controllers assigned to the business units is excessive. I feel bad for them because they are usually locked in conference rooms for weeks at a time to get the budgets ready to meet unrealistic goals. The company has really gone downhill since it was bought out a few years ago.
Pros
it's easier to think of all the negatives.
Cons
poor bonus program, raises are insignificant our non existent, corporate management flip flops with the wind, a lot of cyaa
Everyone is expendable.
Lowest one on the totem pole (Current Employee) –  York, PAJanuary 27, 2014
Huge turnover of employees. Management is arrogant and you will be insulted and degraded every day. HR manager tells you they are doing you a favor by making you pay more for healthcare this year. Performance Reviews are a JOKE! Raises are not based on performance anyway - they already have in the budget how much everyone will get and you get 1.5 - 2% my friend. They treat hourly people like they are stupid and incompetent. The Corporate building is: 1. freezing or 100 degrees, no midway point 2. sidewalks are not shoveled before employees arrive at work 3. When it rains hard the parking lot floods and they don't tell us our cars are drowning out there.
Pros
at least it's a paycheck
Cons
everything
It was a great place to work before they moved to Mexico.
Extruder Operator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 22, 2015
The environment was fast paced and a great place to work. I would set machines with product to be managed by the machine operators. I would keep management of the machine product levels. I enjoyed all the team members including management. They brought a closeness to everyone there. They would schedule occasional outings where we could all unwind and make it a fun place to work. I learned various positions and would sometimes mandate other positions I have learned. It would sometimes get the best of me when trying to hookup railcars to either load or unload, being that the connections to attach to the railcars would be extremely heavy and I would have seek help from one of my team members. It would of been more enjoyable if Graham Packaging did not move to Mexico.
Pros
12 hours daily was enjoyable
Cons
Healthcare became more expensive
Not a good place to work.
Quality Assurance Technician (Former Employee) –  Prattville, ALMarch 26, 2013
I worked here for only a month. I moved 100 miles after accepting a job with Graham. Spent money out of my own pocket to move. My first week there, I only worked 4 out of 5 days I was supposed to work because they said I could not because of needing to save money. Same thing my second week. Come my third week of work, I was called into the office in the am before my pm shift to be let go without any type of warning. I did not receive compensation for moving myself and family after accepting this job, nor did I receive any type of compensation for my wasted time. VERY WRONG ON THEIR PART! To hire someone only to lay them off 3 weeks later.
Cons
they lie.
Not enough direction or drive.
Plastics Technician (Former Employee) –  Memphis TennesseeApril 22, 2015
The Memphis Graham plant was not a bad place to work overall. I did notice a lack of drive and support from everyone in management except the plant manager at the time. When there was an issue it always seemed to be someone else's problem, leads were no where to be found and those who did care about what was going on started giving up due to lack of support. I will say that they were very good at house keeping and started implementing some great procedures to make individuals accountable for their work area's cleanliness and organization.
Pros
Clean place.
Cons
Lack of talent related to machine process, also lack of trust between management and the production floor.
Very good place to work
Quality Control Auditor (Former Employee) –  York, PAAugust 8, 2012
I think Graham Packaging is a very good place to work. It has full benefits packages available for someone to choose what fits them best. Compensation is balanced with benefits. The work culture is relaxed when production lines are running smoothly.There is a high standard to the quality and quantity of product made with safety first. Due to the high demand of plastic bottling products this employer has excellent job security. Advancement is available if you want it. Management staff is knowledgeable to the business. With the revolving shifts allowing someone to work 15 days a month and still get 16 hours overtime, this employer offers great work to life balance.
Pros
with the revolving shifts allowing someone to work 15 days a month and still get 16 hours overtime, this employer offers great work to life balance.
Cons
when production lines are not running smoothly, it can be a little stressful.
Fast paced and clean place to work
Shipping and Receiving (Current Employee) –  Bradford, PAFebruary 12, 2014
Usually a busy and hectic day. Have to check and make sure that no loads are going to be late. Make sure that the lines have enough material to stay running and stock them up as the day goes on. The job that I am doing I have been doing for 14yrs so there is not much more to learn. Some of my co-workers work together as a team but some also don't communicate with you if they don't get their way. The hardest part of my job is trying to keep up with all the lines while unloading conveyor and loading and unloading trucks.
Cons
short breaks, sometimes no breaks.lack of communication by management
Would rather take a sharp poke in the eye than work for this company
Reclaim attendant (Former Employee) –  Findlay, OHJune 4, 2015
Dictated by investment company, lack of good management, and treated like a dog! Do more and get less is the mentally of this facility! Some co workers and are awesome others not so much. Learned quite a bit working in several different positions and glad I was able to walk away with more knowledge. Working 12 hour shifts was hard on the feet, but nice to have the time off during the week. The most enjoyable part of the job was the paycheck on Friday.
Pros
Only working 15 days a month
Cons
Management, overall the whole busines
overall a good company to work for besides the old equipment it was a good job
Downstream Operator/Temp (Former Employee) –  las vegas,nvJune 4, 2014
very good company with room for advancement,typical day you come in have a meeting to find out what downstream you will be working once all jobs are delegated by the night manager you go to work.how to produce plastic bottles.management was very good always there to answer whatever question,my co-workers were very good helpful open fun to talk to,hardest part of the job downstream 2 and 3 always breaking down the most enjoyable day was final bell to go home after a hard 10hr day of work
Pros
good staff, good training
Cons
needs new downstream equipment
Co workers mostly friendly. HR never gets back with you. Forget trying to advance within this company.
Packer (Former Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VaJanuary 15, 2014
Co Workers OK. HR never gets back with you. Forget trying to advance within this company. Work day/night includes, standing in one spot and putting little bottles in a box. Incredibly hot in the summer time. They say they try to help with the heat by offering Grahams labeled water bottles, when in all reality you have to pay $3.50 for them. Not my cup of tea. Dirty breakroom. If you smoke, you have to sit in a small, filthy room where you can't breathe, just to get a quick cigg.
Cons
healthcare, short breaks, management.
Avoid this place like the plaque
maintenance (Former Employee) –  York PASeptember 28, 2015
I was a maintenance tech that was responsible for keeping things running. i learned alot about how blow molding works more about different kinds of support equipment, management thinks they own their departments, some of the employees are good some shouldn't have a job but im not the boss either, what made the job hard is that i was consistently short and always on the run because noone wanted to fix anything the right way. learning new things all the time what good for me cause i was entertained.
Pros
breaks
Cons
management, poor decision making from management, poor structure
productive,high volume,safety first environment
Material Handler support specialist (Former Employee) –  York, PAJuly 6, 2015
A very busy work environment with saftey first. We get free lunches and dinners constantly and free clothing apparel to represent the company. Its a very friendly work environment having room for promotions to hard working and deserved person for the job You have to complete apttitude testing to be awarded and have good attendance. There are two divisions of plant and they are worldwide. With many different people. You have to respect and be polite with good composher. Raises vary from monthy,Quarterly,or even yearly I've increased $7.00 an hour in % years
Very loud and hot
floor (Former Employee) –  hammond, laDecember 12, 2013
If you work nights, say goodbye to your life. It is very loud, even with earplugs, so getting instructions is difficult. The work is easy, when the machines are working properly. There is no AC, so when it is hot outside, you sweat a lot. You have to drink 2-4 work issued bottles of water per shift or you get what is called a "Graham hangover" which is dehydration. The pay is good and timely and that is about it. Most of the staff are great, however, there are a few "good ole boys" in management that you have to get on their good side early.
Pros
good pay
Cons
hot, loud, no life
Worked for over 26 years
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Vandalia, ILMay 27, 2015
Learned a lot through the years. Fast paced and multi-tasking work environment that benefited from team work. I met and worked with a lot of good people. The position was factory production worker. I worked a lot of overtime and the pay and benefits were excellent.
When the factory closed, I went back to school.

I did not approve of the CEO because they did not relate to their employees and they made judgement calls thousands of miles away. They purchased the factory for the business and closed the facility.
The management that worked at the plant were people minded and I liked them.
Pros
excellent wages and benefits.
Cons
hard work
Plant maintenance skill levels are very low which impedes the process to become a more productive plant.
Quality Manager (Current Employee) –  North Kansas City, MOOctober 26, 2015
Graham Packaging is a plastic blow molding operation that makes plastic laundry soap bottles. The plant is considered a "red" plant as hit is not making its' financial goals. The plant has been neglected for the past several years from a maintenance perspective; which has been a significant driver of getting the plant to its' current state. The company appears committed to keeping this location as evidenced by the large amount of capital improvements being completed.
Graham Packaging LP
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Bradenton, FLMay 9, 2012
A typical work day is on 3rd shift, working in 105-110 degree environment with hot plastic. I learned how bottles was made for Tropicana. Management! some was decent, nothing to brag about. Worked with some mediocre coworkers. The hardest part of the job was working with to many Chiefs and not enough Indians (Seniority rules and not who does the best jobs). The most enjoyable part of my day was leaving.
Pros
decent benefits.
Cons
seniority, environment and forced overtime (seniority).
Dependable, on time all the time, honest, work well with others
Forklift operator (Former Employee) –  Muskogee, OKMay 7, 2014
I really liked this type of work, the people I worked with we're very good people, we had a good time together, the day always seemed shorter because of this. I learned how to run a palletizer, and box maker, I also learned to work the assembly line. management was always there to help you with any problem you might have. what I disliked most about the job, The bottles we're constantly falling off the line.
Not the greatest place
Packer (Former Employee) –  West Hazleton, PaJune 18, 2015
Working at Graham under Workforce Resources was not the greatest.They payed decently but I would not work for them again. The employees were nice at least. Every time you turned around they had a new supervisor. There were no set schedules, if you did not have work that day you were called. They were constantly asking people to replace the leads and work overtime. I would not recommend working here.
Pros
Nice employees, decent pay
Cons
no set schedules, constantly a new supervisor