Graham Packaging Employee Reviews

Excellent Place...Awesome!!!
Human Resource Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 20, 2017
Safety is first!!!!!

Thank you for letting me be part of this great company

Very organized, strategic, good corporate

Great people
Pros
excellent
Cons
holidays
friendly enviorment
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CAFebruary 13, 2017
multi complex facility with blow molders, extrusion blow wheels, multi configured down stream equipment and palletizers.
Pros
challenging
Cons
not enough time in the day.
Very productive
Injection Molding Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Cartersville, GAFebruary 1, 2017
Grand packaging is a great company I love working for them I was a prior employee I worked there for a five and a half years and I'd like to return. I would like to return because I think I done a great job I love working for Grand package and I would like to return
Pros
Prozor safety company policy safety Rewards and as well a good working environment
Cons
Employees that come to work every day
Horrible place to work.
Quality Control and Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Holland, MIJanuary 26, 2017
After 2 years of employment with Graham I had had enough. Everything is always breaking down with little help from maintenance for repairs. With four shifts you end up working every other weekend. Employee breaks are often missed unless you speak up. When you do speak up about anything you get black listed. Employees are always expected to pick up the slack when things break or when the shift is short handed. As far as management is concerned the employees priorities, as far as what needs to be done, changes from day to day. One day it's quality and the next day is quantity. Many of the employees are temps and many of the ones that are hired in have felony records, did not graduate from high school, or have some other outstanding flaw. They are so desperate people. They pay well, but the working conditions are horrible. It's a revolving door. Not only with the production people, but with corporate staff. HR changes hands every 2 to 3 months as well as management. The plants are normally dirty. Bathrooms stink, employees never raise the seat, the paper towel is always empty and the people they hire to clean the bathrooms do a horrible job. DO NOT TRUST THE MANAGEMENT. They will back stab you at every turn. They will lie to you, talk about you, break promises and will in most cases treat you like an idiot. If you show any initiative you will be looked down upon and belittle. This is by far the worst place I ever worked. Their is no room for advancement. Avoid working here at all costs. It is not a good place to work.
Pros
Pays well
Cons
Poor working conditions.
Productive enviroment
Internship (Former Employee) –  York, PAJanuary 17, 2017
Great productive enviroment that allowed my self to learn and grow as an employee. Co-workers were great to work with and got along with everyone.
Worst job of my 17 year maintenance career.
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Florence, KYJanuary 11, 2017
From a maintenance perspective, you just fight fires with little to no replacement parts. Zero engineering support as the company doest employ any. Management just says "its gotta run", which turns into cannibalizing other equipment to get the parts they refuse to buy until it literally falls apart.

In my 4 years there I was left alone to cover the entire blow molding side of the plant which was roughly 40 machines while day shift had 5 -7 maintenance technicians. So they will hang you out to dry if you let them.

The only enjoyable part of the job was the 2-3-2 split that made a work\life balance a bit better than most offerings, but it was so mismanaged I was often forced to cover both of the night shifts which equaled an 84 hour work week.

If you are serious about a maintenance career and have any respect for yourself, you will skip the Graham packaging experience. I left a year and a half ago and my only regret is not making the move sooner.
Pros
Nice schedule
Cons
Mismanaged and underfunded
actions speak louder than words
Hrly Emp (Current Employee) –  Woodridge, ILJanuary 9, 2017
Hourly employees get treated like disposable objects. Woodridge IL plant manager cannot be trusted as far as you can throw him. Scheduler woman is a running joke in the plant. Couldn't schedule her way out of a paper bag. Shipping manager nice as pie to your face but stabs you in the back at every chance he gets. Talk talk talk....they say one thing and do complete opposite. Management is beyond horrible at this plant.
Pros
Cons
everything
Fast and efficient plastic container manufacturer
Line Operator (Former Employee) –  Bradford, PAJanuary 8, 2017
Graham packaging is a world leader in plastic products. They make several different types of bottles for multiple companies. The stress safety above all else and quality 2nd. They offer a good wage and benefits. They also train so one can perform many different tasks around the plant. They require honest and direct workers that can act quickly to their tasks. A great place to work.
Pros
safety week is always a blast
Cons
long hours it you work 12 hr shifts.
Out of business
Machine Operator/Material Handler/ (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 6, 2017
The company has closed its Baltimore plant. The company moved to the mid west. The company made plastic bottles using a blow mold machine. Then packed bottles and sent to unilever to fill.
Part of a talented group of maintenance Prefessionals
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  West Chicago, IL 60185January 6, 2017
Our group is responsible for daily maintenance of all production equipment in our facility. We do preventive maintenance, repair of machines, and address down machines during production in a urgent mannor. Our team works very well together. The hardest part of my job would be getting down machines back up and running as quickly as possible.Our department manager is reletively new and we know as a group what needs to be done to keep things running smoothly on a daily basis without alot of direction. We are all self starters. I have learned to work in a fast paced environment by gaining confidence as each day went by. I always felt like I left the place in better condition than I found it. That was the most satisfying part of my job. The most enjoyable part of my job was the comradarie I shared with my co-workers.
Pros
Great People
Cons
Very hot in the summer.
Very tedious place to work
Systems Technician (Former Employee) –  Muskogee County, OKDecember 8, 2016
Most shifts consist of 12 hour rotating shifts.
Lots of machines and requires mechanical knowledge
management is over bearing
often required to stand in one place for the entire 12 hours
always a great feeling to solve complex problems
Pros
decent pay and vacation time
Cons
strict corporate rules, harrassing managers
Not the company it used to be
Analyst (Current Employee) –  York, PANovember 6, 2016
Poor communication and follow through by management. The pay is decent but the business is run very lean which means long hours and not always the best balance between work and home. Great co-workers make going to work bearable.
Pros
Great co-workers.
Cons
management, benefits, lack of job security
Had a great experience working for Graham Packaging
Inventory (Former Employee) –  Bradford, PAOctober 31, 2016
I worked for GP for only 3 months, but in those short 3 months I gained valuable experience and knowledge, made friends and truly enjoyed working there. The employees were friendly, and management was outstanding. They truly make you feel like your hard work is appreciated. The atmosphere is loud and very warm, but fast paced and busy, which made the days fly by. Breaks could be slightly longer, but that is the only complaint I have. Overall a great professional experience. I would not hesitate to apply for another position at GP if need be.
Cons
Short Breaks
production
Kelly Temp (Former Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAOctober 28, 2016
fast paced work enviorment packing plastic bottles due to orders lable and stack on pallets for shipment.temp work. no means of fulltime employment
Pros
production
Cons
temp
not a very good enviroment to work
Quality Control Inspector (Current Employee) –  Henderson, NVOctober 25, 2016
this company needs more and better management skills. they say safety comes first but in a lot of situation in the plant are very unsafe.
Love doing my job.
Technician (Former Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAOctober 19, 2016
Love the people and my job. I made the mistake of leaving it. Love putting machine together and taking them apart . Would love another job like it.
High demand on equipment and people, with broken systems
Maintenance Manager (Former Employee) –  Fremont, OHOctober 12, 2016
Previous years of lack of maintenance of equipment and also cutting benefits and deterioration of procedures has created a weak environment, with low equipment reliability, and low moral with current long time employees.
Current manpower is not sufficient to run the plant and practice what is preached, as it relates to safety and training of employees.
The maintenance manager role was over loaded, no other level of management below manager. The maintenance manager was expected to lead the floor and perform all other roles that a manager needs to do. There was no safety manager on site, the HR was doubling in this area of responsibility which put a burden on the whole team which made it difficult to devote the proper time needed in this area.
Graham as a whole company has a high turn over in maintenance manager role along with other management roles.
My position did not come as advertised, I regret making the move!
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Too much work load on manager, too lean for current operation
Good Job with long hard hours and lots of OT
Blow Mold Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Hazle Twp, PASeptember 27, 2016
I really love my job but it does interfere with my personal life. A lot of overtime is required and it can be exhausting. Right now we are on 8 hour shifts 3 shifts per day but usually the operators are on 12 hour shifts either day or night. The pay is great, the rate of pay increases is great, hard work is recognized by management but it is VERY HARD WORK... Lots of management problems at my location and no safety team which is relatively unheard of in a manufacturing setting. Job security is shaky at times but as long as you manage your points and attendance and are on time everyday, are willing to work overtime as it is often required, and your not afraid to run around a machine for 8-12 hours a day than you'll love your job and with any luck they won't fire you. Our location is one of the worst Worldwide so they hold on to hard workers.
Pros
Pay, Benefits
Cons
Overtime, Poor Management
productive and good atmosphere
Manufacturing Technician/Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 27, 2016
a typical day at work consist of running a blow mold wheel and production line. Making sure all bottles was in good quality and no defects and doing qa tests. co- workers was amazing and management was okay.
Pros
great pay and good breaks
Cons
Fast paced environment; sometimes kind of hard for me to interact with people and with what's going on around me.
Machine Operator 2 (Former Employee) –  Florence, KYSeptember 27, 2016
Often enough it was a fast paced environment. Sometimes I kind of had a hard time keeping up. I learned to operate various machines - bulk palletizers, box palletizers, box makers, inserters, case packers, a corrugate bailing machine, and strappers. Management was fair and decent. Co-workers were sometimes kind of hard for me to interact with, and I think at least sometimes that was because I have Asperger's and Anxiety, both of which I was recently diagnosed with. Comments from them and their attitudes were often enough kind of degrading. But many times they were decent, sociable, understanding, and flexible with me. I think I also often enough had a hard time interacting with what was going on around me. The hardest part of my job was trying to keep up when the physical or mental part of the job in a task that was faster paced. The most enjoyable part of the job was the bulk palletizers - when they were running well, which was usually the case.
Pros
Good, decent people in management.
Cons
Often enough too fast paced, and I sometimes had a hard time interacting with others and with what was going on around me.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Graham Packaging. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7