Grainger Employee Reviews

Found 1,160 reviews matching the search
ok place to work
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOSeptember 20, 2017
Not a bad place to work. Vacation is good. Retirement has been cut back twice since I have been working there. Management is sketchy at best. Tend to tell you one thing to your face and do something completely different behind your back. Lack of communication
Not what they tell you it is
Machine Picker (Current Employee) –  Minooka, ILSeptember 19, 2017
This place is not for the avarage hard workers. They show favoritism to certain peolpe and not to the hard workers. Theres very little room for advancement.
Good Culture, Lack of Leadership
Account Management Representative (Current Employee) –  Northbrook, ILSeptember 19, 2017
Grainger has great benefits and has a great culture. There isn't a lot of leadership from your managers. There's too much turnaround which interviews take up a lot of your managers time. Sales has become a game of metrics, which is causing less of a focus on actual customer needs.
advancement is really not there
Director (Current Employee) –  Lake Forest, ILSeptember 18, 2017
Having exp doesn't really matter; the Co hires you for your exp, but it's mentality is all 'relationship-based'. Exp doesn't get you to the next level, it gets you lateral moves so you can get 'more exp'. those that get advanced roles are usually the ones with no exp but have done a great job 'running' a project. This is a major unspoken complaint throughout the org. Turnover is high, staffing is a struggle and the Co doesn't know how to retain good qualified people. It's unfortunate.
Productive and fun place to work, worked hard to try and achieve project goals
Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Minooka, ILSeptember 18, 2017
Typical day at office was getting there 8:30-9am. Going through emails. Then getting started on my project for the summer (Supplier damages in the Distribution Center). Walked the floor to see product damages then did a lot of excel analysis to see different statics of damages (coming from supplier in-bound or out-bound, location coming from and going to, as well as what company's the products were getting shipped on. (UPS or FedEx). Great work place culture somewhat high pace and competitive. Hardest part of job was the statical part of job. Most enjoyable part was being rewarded at the end of the summer in seeing what one accomplished
Pros
Good Pay, great experience
Cons
not many cons
Hard working
District Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Lake Forest, ILSeptember 17, 2017
Solid organization working to become great company. Cultural and organizational changes impeding progress, while remaining top MRO supplier in industry.
Pros
The company has clear direction and updates its employees, Respectable work life balance/flexibility as well, Compensation and benefits (health, dental) actually great.
Cons
Constant change with several major reorgs and layoffs. Escalating micro-managing culture.
Typical warehouse
Outbound LTL agent (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, TXSeptember 16, 2017
Typical pack box, load box warehouse.
Wasn't much of a culture.
Though it wasn't a bad place to work, and none of the managers were bad people.
It's a decent job for a college kid.
Pros
Frequent breaks
Cons
not very stimulating.
Good job if you have patience.
Customer Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 15, 2017
The calls are not that bad. It's mostly business to business. The hours are good and they do work with your schedule. Everyone is nice, smiles as you pass people in the halls. The hardest part of the job is the systems are glichey. As well as the product line. It helps if you have knowledge of industrial products. They don't train you on what the items do. Customers will throw works at you and expect you to know what they are talking about. The training is extensive but it consists of how to handle the calls. They say there is no script but there are key phrases you have to say. They record the calls and listen so they can coach you on best practices. Breaks are two 10 minute breaks and one 30 minute lunch. 30 minutes is not enough time. They say they are going to extend lunches to 1 hour at some point in the future. The good thing about the job is the hours and for a call center it's close to the top of the list.
Good company culture and people
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Lake Forest, ILSeptember 13, 2017
Working here was good. Good, committed people dedicated to their company and job. Unfortunately, it was a temporary position and I could not stay on, would recommend though.
Great Company
Corporate Finance Associate (Current Employee) –  Janesville, WISeptember 13, 2017
Overall great company to work for. Benefits are great, and the pay is good also. Standard 40 hours a week, no overtime options available. The most enjoyable part of the job is the work fun days.
Recent decline in Management
Warehouse support, Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Fountain Inn, SCSeptember 12, 2017
The market has opened up more opportunity for growth and Grainger simply hasn't kept up. They offer lower pay and less training for their managers and new hires alike, and it has led to a disgruntled staff, with an extremely high turnover at all levels.
Cliquey. No job security. Popularity contest
Sourcing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Northbrook, ILSeptember 12, 2017
I'm thee 6 months and do my job well. Shutting down division and throwing us out on the street. They dont care about employees. They care about bottom lines and people that fit in. You can perform well in your position but it doesn't matter. It's who you know not what you know.
Pros
Good compensation some decent managers
Cons
Cliquey. Schoolyard jealousy.
Great Experience
Sr. Manager Product Lifecycle Management (Former Employee) –  Lake Forest, ILSeptember 11, 2017
Grainger may not be as strong and loyal to its employees as it once was, it is still is a good company to work for. They have lost their focus on the customer in some ways. They are results driven company that provides an environment to develop into an experienced leader of strategic global direct and indirect purchasing, supply chain management, strategic sourcing or private label. Benefits are very strong - not a good as it once was but still better than most that I have seen.
Pros
Benefits, development opportunities in several areas of focus.
Cons
Low Morale, constant pressure, lack of recognition
Lost Ethics
On-Site Consultant (Current Employee) –  Ft. Lauderdale, FLSeptember 10, 2017
1) The company says its motto is "if there is a problem, the worst thing you can do is send an email." It makes sense, and I would normally agree. But the company actually uses this tactic to eliminate documentation. The company likes to operate in the gray area where the house always wins. But word to the wise: even when times seem good, document everything.
2) If you're going to do this, make this a short term role. Don't make this a career.
Pros
Competitive compensation
Cons
Poor ethics
mixed feelings
Various Positions (Former Employee) –  Lake Forest, ILSeptember 9, 2017
Highly stressful
Growth depends on the leadership you work with
Spent many years building a career there. Left with a bad taste in my mouth
My team was challenging I grew and developed strong leadership skills
Work Review
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 8, 2017
Grainger is a great place to work with high value and incredible ethics. Employees have great benefits with a profit sharing plan and 401k contribution annually. Depending on the role, the work is highly rewarding helping customers.
Good company.
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  South Plainfield, NJSeptember 8, 2017
Grainger was a good company and I had good managers up until my last manager. She was terrible. She didn't support her team. She was all about her and advancing herself. Do the best you can and document everything.
Pros
Good people and benefits.
Cons
Poor sales managers. Too structured.
The job I have ever had.
Build Center Associate (Current Employee) –  Morton Grove, ILSeptember 7, 2017
If you're happy at a job it not like work. I am not just a team member but part of a family. The team members make a person feel at home, and I feel that helps me perform my job 100%.
Pros
The team respects each other
Cons
I would like to have more overtime.
work
Cash processing Administrator (Former Employee) –  chicagiSeptember 7, 2017
Great place to work at Grainger. Good benefits .which is our company strategy, defines our purpose, where we will focus and what we will achieve to lead our industry and serve customers
Nice atmosphere, not so great management.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Janesville, WISeptember 6, 2017
The people i worked with were great but the managers were not so nice when it came to conflict. Issues would arise in the building and no one seemed to want to help. With this is was very hard to trust managers. Other than that the work was hard but i was a very fast learner and caught on quickly. I liked the challenge to make myself better each week on getting my numbers higher.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Grainger. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval