Grainger Employee Reviews

Unorganized and preferential
Janesville Financial Shared Services Teams (Former Employee) –  Janesville, WIMarch 23, 2016
I would only suggest working here as a stepping stone out of college. for a year or two to gain experience. The Janesville facility is hard to navigate due to so many family members working together there that there is a lot of preferential treatment based on who you know and not how well you perform your job duties or how hard you work. There are hard goals set for you that you must accomplish on a daily basis and will negatively effect your review and raise if you do not meet your goals. Not very organized and in constant flux. I was re-organized three times in the last year I was there, which meant new management, new goals and new duties. Very sales driven which creates contradiction in your job duties on a daily basis. The mid level management team is not trustworthy or fair. If you work here for a few years to gain experience it will give you a good opportunity to learn how to work well in a bad environment but I would not count on promotions or making any money.
Pros
Good for experience out of college
Cons
Bad culture, mid level management is unwilling to help you grow, very stressful trying to keep up with impossible goals
Dreary place, poor management
Receptionist/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Garden City, GAFebruary 22, 2016
While working there, on a weekly basis I was given one more task on my job description... and no advancement in compensation.
I started just as a receptionist to answer mostly sales calls to transfer, by the time I had enough I was doing accounting, stocking vehicles in, cashiering for service, answering all calls, assisting the tag title clerk, calling customers when their vehicles were done being repaired, schedule service calls. The straw that broke the camels back was mon-fri becoming mon-sat ( time and a half on saturday ) required overtime.
All while making less than 10 bucks an hour.
Asking for raises... a day off... or an extra 30 minutes for a lunch break was like pulling teeth.
Even asking to go to the bathroom, stretch my legs from sitting for 8 hours at a desk was an act of God.
For such a "family friendly christian business", I felt they don't practice what they preach.
Pros
friendly co workers
Cons
terrible management, unkept promises, no advancement, low compensation.
They talk themselves up but in the end its not any different than any other company
Receiving department (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJanuary 13, 2016
I am a current employee for over 4 years and after reading the other reviews, sounds like a different company. They talk about there profit sharing, well in the last year they have been slowly taking that away. They benefits were great but now are slowly becoming very costly. Every year I have been there the expectations have gone up every year. They keep expecting more and more out of you all while taking away the benefits. I currently work in a distribution center that is run by a bunch of number hungry managers. It all starts at the top and there isn't much there. We have been on forced OT since about November of last year. (Now its mid January) Great place to build a resume but would not recommend a career out of it. Buyer beware!
Pros
Close to home
Struggling cost cutting company
Sales and Customer Relations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lincolnshire, ILFebruary 4, 2016
This company has been struggling in this very competitive market for several years now. Share holders and investors are their top priorities and employees are on the bottom of their list. Benefits are average at best and the fact that employees have to pay to attend the yearly company picnic says a whole lot. Over 40 branch store locations closed last December and management has been changing, vice presidents are quoting, and employee moral is at a very low point.
Pros
Employee camaraderie
Cons
Unsure if your position will be moved or outsourced to another country
eCommerce is fun. The rest of the company is slow.
Digital Marketing (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 3, 2016
Similar to large organizations, Grainger moves pretty slow. This is nice when it comes to work life balance. The downside to this is you can get caught up with heavy politics and processes when trying to do impactful work. The people are generally smart and easy to work with which makes your day-to-day enjoyable. eCommerce is somewhat shielded from the extremely corporate / business professional atmosphere and is more laid back.
Pros
Work Life Balance, Gym on Site, Office Downtown
Cons
Politics, Salary, Processes
lots of stress
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, TX 76262April 2, 2016
they talk about team work,they are not about it.it is a negative environment.
if a coworker picks the wrong item or amount and you help them to correct it. management wants you to let them know. so they can use it against them at raise time.
you have to pick 60 orders in 60 minutes.
there is favoritism.
benefits
Cons
drama
Great place to work with a lot of perks and great compensation
On-Site Services Consultant (Current Employee) –  Concord, CAMarch 17, 2016
As an On-Site Service Consultant I travel to various customers each day where I manage an on-site inventory program and also to assist customers with any needs issues or questions they may have.

All of the management at Grainger is very supportive and great at helping me to achieve and go beyond my goals.

I have had the pleasure of working with the best people and made some really good friends along the way.
Pros
Great compensation, opportunities for growth, great people
Cons
healthcare copays
Great Place to work
Manager, Territory Sales (Current Employee) –  Riverside, CAMarch 17, 2016
My experience at Grainger has been second to none. I have loved working there and have worked around and with some of the most talented people in my career.

I am only looking outside of Grainger due to a company internal change where my division was completely dissolved. I have the opportunity to be placed in another role, however, it may not be a leadership role and that is where my passion lies.
Pros
Talented smart people and great work-life balance
Cons
Going though organizational changes
Great work life balance
Territory Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLMarch 20, 2016
Great management
Great work life balance
Good benefits
Profit sharing slowing diminishing
An 11B company that is currently going through growing pains
By far the worst company I have ever worked for.
Picker/Packer/Shipper (Former Employee) –  DFWDCFebruary 25, 2016
Specically, the DFWDC.

Management and HR in this facility are completely incompetent at best. From the front office to management on the floor. I left a pretty great job to pursue a supposedly better opportunity at this facility. By far the worst decision I have made in many years. Met some great co-workers as well as company veterans who have all since left or have been fired in the last few months. This facility covers everything you could come to dislike about a company as an employee. Grainger is without question struggling as a whole. Their logistic management teams are completely derilect and costing millions in getting product properly shipped to their DC's. Warehouse metrics are not only un-realistic but very poorly managed at best and Inventory is a disaster. Simply put, this place needs an enema. I would never recommend anyone I know to ever seek employment there nor purchase anything. Totally understandable why they have a 60% turnover posted on their management metrics board. A deplorable place to work.
Pros
Met some great people
Cons
Place is in the tiolet

Want to know more about Grainger?

Ask a question
Good Company Overall
Distribution Center Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, TXMarch 2, 2016
- Good work/life balance
- Great compensation
- Great benefits
- Strong Culture of Continuous Improvement
- Largest Provider of MRO solutions
Pros
Work/Life Balance, Compensation, Benefits
Cons
Poor Technology
Great company and great benefits
Team Lead/Shipping (Current Employee) –  Minooka, ILMarch 9, 2016
Grainger is what you make of it. Grainger has been a developmental tool as far as the warehouse knowledge acquired. Over 10 years with the company and still learning new concepts. Started as a distribution associate and now tackling management endeavors.People are great and Grainger provides an activities committee which strengthens the culture at Grainger.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
work until finish
One of the worse places I have worked
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Janesville, WIApril 5, 2016
Management treated me as I was incompetent and the would not honor my disability. They perceive to care about their employees but don't wanna follow laws . Their training class had changed up constantly trying things different , they didn't know what they wanted to do and they were not consistent .
benefits
Cons
management and training
A Day on the Road
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  USAOctober 20, 2015
Outstanding and energetic place to have a career. Outstanding team with members who care for one another on both a peer and personal level. Dictating management style with lots of must do's, don't ask type mentality. Not a lot of room to think outside the box, but rather do what is told. Great company with a rich history, but falling behind on the new structure of business thought process and stuck in the old way of thinking.
Pros
Great work life balance, lots of ability to make your own schedule.
Cons
Management style is non-adaptive to new ways of thinking, losing ground due to non-existent culture change of other competitors.
Overall work environment
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Janesville, WIDecember 30, 2015
Customer service contact (call) center with approximately 100 calls processed in a day. I have been able to utilize my experience with numerous computer programs and assisting in EDI and e-Procurement order processing. Our direct management listens to our concerns and follow through with changes that are brought up by the work force. The pace has increased in the past year due to growing and process changes which have been difficult but we are beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I love helping customers as well as internal representatives.
Pros
Healthcare, Dental and Eye medical coverage. Profit Sharing / 401k
Cons
in the past two years have lost vacation days - weekend hours required or later shifts
Complex & changing environment
Sales Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 29, 2016
Sales for Grainger is a great opportunity to learn about strategy, planning and how to successfully drive revenue but it is a complex company to sell for. There are several departments to coordinate with and some of these resources are not supportive.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Goal, work-life balance, managers, change
Great company to work for.
Territory Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILMarch 13, 2016
Great company to work for. Pay is great. There are tons of opportunities to grow within the organization. work ethic and networking is important but you should expect to do this in the real world. good career will come with working at Grainger.
Pros
culture, pay, promotion opportunties
Cons
Great Company to work for....not much career advancment opportunities
On-Site Service Consultant (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, MNJanuary 24, 2016
Company is great to work for. They do their best to give employees a health work/life balance. Their benefits are above average.
Unfortunately, if you are not hired as a manager/leader, you may never get the opportunity. It is very difficult to work your way into a leadership position.
Pros
Great benefits (Profit Sharing, work/life balance)
Cons
Very difficult (not impossible) to get into leadership roles
Fun working environment with great people.
Supervisor, Distribution Operations (Current Employee) –  Minooka, ILMarch 31, 2016
Fun working environment with great people. Was able to advance my career here and learn a great deal. Benefits have changed since I started but still a place worth working at.
Pros
Benefits. Profit sharing
Cons
Consistently 10 hours or more worked everyday
Great company-slow moving technology
Commercial/Manufacturing Account Manager-Everett (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 29, 2016
Awesome management, job security. Love the atmosphere. Advancement is slow moving and they are in the middle of a restructure now. The better you do, the bigger the goals.
Pros
Great freedom. Lots of trust.
Cons
Slow advancement. Hard to make killer $