Grainger

Grainger United States Employee Reviews

Excellent working and agile learning environment
OOM (Open Order Management) (Current Employee), downtown chicago, ilApril 16, 2015
Excellent learning of agile methodologies, supporting team members.
Good working place and friendly staff.
High motivation and skilled team members.
inexperienced management, inequitable goals
Commercial Account Manager (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCApril 9, 2015
Pros: great distribution network (only on the items they have in the warehouses)
Cons: poorest compensation plan I ever saw
four managers in four years; two of which had never managed anyone before, one had never been in sales (the relative of an important customer).

non-performers get lower goals, higher performers get higher goals

declining morale survey scores

every year the sales force #1 complaint is no work-life balance, mgt. ignores them (latest mid-atlantic regional v.p. gave "additional" admin work to sales force that no one else in the country had to do; he requested information the company already has and should be providing the sales force, not the other way around)

company doesn't cover 100% of mileage costs (cost me an additional $9k+ a year out of pocket) or meals/entertainment (monthly budget of $63)
Very fast paced work environment, great break room with upstairs ping pong tables and workout room.
Inbound/ Bulk Team (Former Employee), Patterson, CAApril 4, 2015
The SF Grainger Distribution Center was a really great place to work at. It was unfortunate that i was only there working as a special project. The employees were great and the break area and work out room were a definite bonus.
Counter sales (Former Employee), Plano, TXApril 2, 2015
Pros: Healthcare, pay
Cons: Location
I worked counter sales and before that I worked in the DC warehouse as a picker and packer for the stores. I learned to use the SAP system and the RF guns for inventory control. Most of my co-workers where great they knew their jobs and where great help to me with mine. The hardest part of the job was keeping the showroom floor neat and stocked. I enjoyed the helping customers find the right parts and get a great price. Management was a good source of information and help.
Great Benefits
Government Quotations Specialist (Current Employee), Northbrook, ILMarch 27, 2015
Grainger has a great Profit Sharing Program. I also built some great relationships here with internal and external partners.
Fun and Great Company
Distribution Center Associate (Former Employee), Patterson, CAMarch 24, 2015
Pros: teamwork
Work day would be fun because of the managers
I've learned that if a company wants good workers they treat their workers good.
management was understanding and great to work with.
co-workers were great.
the hardest part was leaving the company.
most enjoyable part was providing great customer service
Productive And Good Job Security
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee), Fountain Inn, SCMarch 9, 2015
We come in and have our daily meeting about how the company did for that day, and what's our goals for the nightshift crew.
Fun Place to work
On Site Service Consultant (Current Employee), Sarasota, FLMarch 5, 2015
Pros: profit sharing, work life balance
Overall, Great experience. Great upper level managment, Great growth potential

Run route managing inventory for customers.

Great team environment. Makes learning easy.

Hardest part of the job is managing time

Most enjoyable part of job is builinding elationships with customers
Great place to work at
Lead Unix Systems Engineer (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMarch 2, 2015
Pros: graet place to work
I loved working at Grainger, lots of oppertunities to get involve with cutting edge technologies, great culture and great team, it's mostly legacy systems but changing rapidly
na
AISMS (Current Employee), Waterloo, IAMarch 2, 2015
•a typical day at work
•what you learned
•management
•your co-workers
•the hardest part of the job
•the most enjoyable part of the job
Great company with great benefits
On-Site Service Consultant (Current Employee), New Orleans, LAMarch 1, 2015
I have a lot of freedom in my job to execute my duties how I think they will best fit the customers needs. The management gives a lot of support and aid to empower the employees. The most difficult part of the job is balancing all of the customers needs on a weekly basis.
Account Manager (Current Employee), North DakotaFebruary 28, 2015
In outside sales, you have a lot of room to grow your business how you see fit. There opportunities for advancement, support, and teamwork in an excellent company.
Tell you what you want to hear but not what you think.
Territory Sales Representative (Former Employee), Farmers Branch, TXFebruary 26, 2015
Great people to work with but unreachable goals to even hit minimum. Management was not helpful and was very difficult to work for.
Healthcare is good.
Customer Service (Current Employee), ILFebruary 23, 2015
Grainger offers great benefits. They offer a great healthcare coverage to their employees. Wonderful people to work with.
I had the priviledge to work for this company for 49 years
Lead Media Buyer (Former Employee), Lake Forest, ILFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: outstanding benefits
Grainger is the premier leader in the Global market place as a top provider of MRO products. It is a $11 billion dollar company that has been in business over 80 years.

I've worked there for 49 years and provided service to many a team member past and present. I took pride in my ability to provide cost savings and on-time delivery of Direct Marketing mail campaigns for 11 team members. This included, purchasing of paper and printing, working with a production schedule to deliver time-sensitive programs on time.
I'm reliable and work with a high degree of integrity.
I enjoyed my job very challenging at times but the people were great to work with.
Service Coordinator / Project Manager (Former Employee), Lady Lake, FLFebruary 21, 2015
Pros: great place to work
Cons: job/life balance.
I was on the computer and phone most of the day working with my territory sales reps. As I had the pleasure to work from home time management was a key in being successful. I had 2 great managers during my time. My co-workers were great to work with and almost always available for any advise or questions on new situations.
Traveling a meeting the customer and installing the machines I enjoyed most.
Supplying Tools and Customer Care
Export Coordinator (Current Employee), Doral, FLFebruary 18, 2015
Pros: normal hours, paid time off, profit sharing
Cons: competitive business, product failure
A typical day is structured around customer satisfaction. There are metrics and standards in place to ensure Grainger is servicing the customer. Management has a strict, but fair code of ethics to follow along with personal aptitude. Some co-workers have really invested and develop their talents and others have not. I learned that the more knowledge of products and over reaching service you give to the customer the higher the reward for all businesses involved. The technical analytical part of finding a solution to meet demands is by far the most challenging but also most enjoyable. The reward comes from Grainger's company profit sharing and human resource appreciation.
Micomanagment is the culture
Branch Operations Manager (Current Employee), Memphis, TNFebruary 17, 2015
Pros: decent pay
Cons: work life balance & micromanging
At my branch in Memphis, TN the culture seems to be micromanaging. Boss does not empower you and will never seem to see your point of view. Your opinions are not heard.
Great company to work for, just a slow market in Lubbock, TX.
Sales Specialist & On-Site Service Consultant (Current Employee), Lubbock, TXFebruary 17, 2015
Grainger has so far been a great place to work and build a career overall. The Lubbock market has slowed down as far as walk-in traffic in our local branch, which is why I am looking for opportunities elsewhere. A typical day includes opening the store, fulfilling Will-Call and Shipping tickets, helping walk-in customers, building customer relationships, stocking the shelves, etc. The people I work work are some of the best I have yet encountered and are very enthusiastic about teamwork.
Good Place to Work
HUMAN RESOURCES REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee), Cranbury, NJFebruary 11, 2015
Grainger is a good lace to work and offers many opportunties for growth, although you may need to be willing to relocate. Management was fair.

1 2 3 4 5

About Grainger

Grainger is no stranger to those in need of a wide variety of industrial products. W.W. Grainger distributes more than one million – Read more

Grainger Salaries