Grainger Employee Reviews in United States

Great and Productive Workplace
Customer Service Specialist and Representative (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IAMay 31, 2016
Work days consist of working from two computer monitors and via phone and internet to assist customers with placing orders, using the website, finding products they need.
Pros
Friendly staff and co-workers as well as stable work environment
Cons
strict attendance policy
To work together as a team, while advertising great customer service
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Guam, GUJuly 6, 2016
This is one of the greatest companies I have worked for. Grainger is all about safety of their employee's and to provide great customer service to every customer.
Pros
Great hourly pay
Cons
part time employee for a year with no benifits
Good Company
Forklift Technician (Current Employee) –  Fountain Inn, SCMarch 27, 2016
I enjoying interacting with others when their equipment is not operating properly and training others to make the same repairs and diagnosis. The atmosphere at work allows me to take a few minutes to get to know people as well as challenges I can help fix to make their jobs more efficient and safe.
The most difficult part of the job would be the repetitive heavy lifting while making repairs.
The most enjoyable part of the job would be the comradery of my fellow employees and seeing them learn.
Pros
Good medical
One of the worse places I have worked
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Janesville, WIApril 5, 2016
Management treated me as I was incompetent and the would not honor my disability. They perceive to care about their employees but don't wanna follow laws . Their training class had changed up constantly trying things different , they didn't know what they wanted to do and they were not consistent .
benefits
Cons
management and training
Great Place to work
Manager, Territory Sales (Current Employee) –  Riverside, CAMarch 17, 2016
My experience at Grainger has been second to none. I have loved working there and have worked around and with some of the most talented people in my career.

I am only looking outside of Grainger due to a company internal change where my division was completely dissolved. I have the opportunity to be placed in another role, however, it may not be a leadership role and that is where my passion lies.
Pros
Talented smart people and great work-life balance
Cons
Going though organizational changes
Great place to work with a lot of perks and great compensation
On-Site Services Consultant (Current Employee) –  Concord, CAMarch 17, 2016
As an On-Site Service Consultant I travel to various customers each day where I manage an on-site inventory program and also to assist customers with any needs issues or questions they may have.

All of the management at Grainger is very supportive and great at helping me to achieve and go beyond my goals.

I have had the pleasure of working with the best people and made some really good friends along the way.
Pros
Great compensation, opportunities for growth, great people
Cons
healthcare copays
Customer focused
On Site Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 12, 2016
Fast pace environment, allowing the opportunity to work directly with a variety of customers. Working with diverse customers enabled me to see things from the customers' standpoint. Have a supportive team in place and in depth understanding of which team member excels in what area, is resourceful when taking care of multiple customers at once.

The hardest part of job is trying to get everything done at the same time, learning to prioritize and use my resources is the key in accomplishing these task.

The most enjoyable part of the job, is working with my co-workers, customers all while building life-time meaningful relationships.
Good experience - high stress
Contact Center Manager (Former Employee) –  Janesville, WIMarch 13, 2016
The company is going through a lot of changes right now leaving a lot of employees left behind. Grainger claims to be concerned with their employees' happiness and engagement, but at the end of the day, it call comes down to what is best for Grainger.
Regardless of the role you are in, you will have ample opportunity to work on some sort of project or cross-functional team, if for no other reason than they try to run the company as lean as possible, therefore needing the employees to do additional work that tends to be out of the role's scope
The pay is fair and the benefits are pretty good.
Pros
On-site cafeteria, decent benefits
Cons
High-stress, work/life imbalance
Culture of change
Director (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 15, 2016
This is one of the greatest companies in the country to work for. It was ethical and believed in its people. Lately there has been a lot of change, most of it necessary to stay ahead and competitive in today's market. The only word of caution I have is that the company remembers its roots, the people are who built this to what it is today, help them lead through the change and it will be a stronger company for another 80 years.
Great training ground for sales career
Senior Territory Manager (Former Employee) –  Elkhart, INApril 1, 2016
The company has a great business model to service their costumes with exceptional next day or same day service of top quality products. The team members are fun to work with and the training is excellent. Easy to open customer doors because of the brand recognition.
Pros
Every one knows who Grainger is
Cons
Micro manage sales team
Working at Grainger Currently
Associate (Current Employee) –  Mira Loma, CAJuly 30, 2016
Everyday is a new day at work. Everyone is Nice and respectful including our Managers and Supervisors. Working in the Bins Gathering all the Customers orders into On primary box, takes several minutes. Working 100% everyday 5 times a week 8 to 10 hours a day.
Hostile work environment. Co-workers not team members. Gossip and hostile environment.
Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Macedonia, OHMarch 8, 2016
Atmosphere was negative. The company claims to be a good environment for employees to expand their horizons. The co-workers I encountered were not friendly. Instead of helping, they criticized. There was not proof that any of the hourly workers were promoted. Several had been there more than 15 years and still in the same job.
Pros
Great health insurance.
Cons
Co-workers in warehouse hostile to new employees.
Temporary
Warehouse Supply Specialist (temporary) (Former Employee) –  Minooka, IL 60447March 8, 2016
A typical day here was very simple and easy. The work was not hard but very meticulous in some areas. I learned about shipping and inventory and how accurate things need to be. The management team and was helpful in most areas, but not attentive to their employees for improvement purposes. My co workers were nice and v very helpful. The hardest part about my job was getting the proper respect I so deserved. The best thing I like about my job was be challenged to do more than the minimum.
Great company and great benefits
Team Lead/Shipping (Current Employee) –  Minooka, ILMarch 9, 2016
Grainger is what you make of it. Grainger has been a developmental tool as far as the warehouse knowledge acquired. Over 10 years with the company and still learning new concepts. Started as a distribution associate and now tackling management endeavors.People are great and Grainger provides an activities committee which strengthens the culture at Grainger.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
work until finish
Great for most
Territory Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 5, 2016
Grainger is a solid company with its own company culture of success. Top reps are rewarded handsomely with trips and incentive and every rep is treated with company outings and trips. Theyre going through the process of cutting a lot (2016) but if you can secure a job here, its a great place to be.

Only negative is communication from top leadership. They will say "everything is great" from a national, internal stage, then fire a couple hundred people (something they've done two straight years now). The words spoken by them are not to be trusted.
The Best Sales Process
TERRITORY SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  Commerce, CAMarch 4, 2016
Grainger expanded my sales abilities to the complete understanding of Corporate sales and its processes, where I succeed beyond expectations. I managed over 300 accounts and over $1.5 Million in gross sales. The hardest part of the job was learning time management to sustain growth with all accounts and product knowledge of over 1 million products. I enjoyed the most, the autonomy of outside sales, I felt empowered as in I was running my own business (territory) and given the ability to be creative in achieving the sale to grow business.
Pros
Company Car
Cons
Not paid enough for what we do
LOVED selling for this MRO distributor!
Government Account Relationship Manager (Current Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAApril 20, 2016
I am in my 12th year working inside sales with medium sized customers. Currently my book of business is in NY State with government customers. I love my job!
Pros
Profit sharing, great health and dental insurance; fair pay and great people to work with
Cons
hefty sales goals
Great company with some growing pains
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Jupiter, FLMay 22, 2016
Grainger is a great company to work for and is the leader in the MRO field. However, they are going through some growing pains and re-aligning their go to market. Management is weak and know little to nothing about the market.
Pros
Work Life Balance
Cons
Weak leadership
Engagement
Product Engineer Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lake Forest, ILApril 7, 2016
Grainger is a great company where engagement is highly profiled, so working with a positive understanding group helps complete the work load. There are not many moments where work slows down so being engaged motivate you through.
Pros
great group of managers
Cons
sometimes have to work during off hours to complete tasks
Complex & changing environment
Sales Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 29, 2016
Sales for Grainger is a great opportunity to learn about strategy, planning and how to successfully drive revenue but it is a complex company to sell for. There are several departments to coordinate with and some of these resources are not supportive.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Goal, work-life balance, managers, change