Grainger

Grainger Employer Reviews

Great team environment.
Sales Specialist (Current Employee), Racine wiSeptember 30, 2014
Pros: team environment.
This is a GREAT company to work for. I have 20 years expeirence here. This is a company that empowers it s employees and a company that says yes.
Great People & smart management
Manufacturing Accounts Manager (Current Employee), Downers Grove ILSeptember 24, 2014
Pros: brand recognition, diverse customer base, people
Cons: compensation, red tape
Great senior leadership with the ability to execute on a strategy.
Was always something new and exciting
Forklift Operator/Janitor (Former Employee), Minooka, ILSeptember 24, 2014
Pros: had there own gym
Cons: working with slow lazy co workers
Worked with different types of forklifts. Was a fast paced worker with no accidents and no quality or quantity problems. Excellent company to work for and grow.
Great place to work for.
Collections Representative (Current Employee), Niles, ILSeptember 23, 2014
Great place to work for, they do a lot of fun things aorund here.
strong support of employees and concern with ability to perform their jobs
Lighting Consultant (Current Employee), dover, nhSeptember 22, 2014
was able to work very independently to qualify leads and manage them through the entire sales process from initial audit to install phase.
Great
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Denver, COSeptember 21, 2014
Prior to my police work, I was employed by Grainger, as a Warehouse operator for Industrial Business Supply Chain. I was promoted to Warehouse Manager to oversee the Lincoln, Nebraska Warehouse. While working for Grainger, I completed my Bachelor’s Degree in Political Science at the University of Nebraska. I returned to Denver after receiving my degree, and was assigned to Customer Services in the telephone and counter sales areas.
my first job. What a GREAT COMPANY TO WORK FOR.
Senior Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PASeptember 19, 2014
Pros: excellent benefits.
Cons: really nothing.
I loved working for Grainger. Started as a young kid out of
High School, and became a man working their for 22yrs.
Great pay and benefits, but very demanding!
Government Account Manager (Current Employee), Spokane, WASeptember 2, 2014
Pros: great pay and benefits
Cons: very demanding, micro management, all about the numbers
It's all about the numbers, very demanding, and they like micro manage their people.
Account Management
Account Manager (Current Employee), Northern NJAugust 21, 2014
Pros: good work/life balance. flexible schedule
Cons: poor compensation structure. products have become a commodity
Work from home position. 50-60% of day in front of accounts. Presenting to wide variety of customers. Presenting value in services and negotiating pricing. Servicing customer needs.
Overall - Great organization to work for with strong benefits
Commercial Account Manager (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZAugust 16, 2014
Pros: flexibility if need be, the opportunity to travel
Cons: work / life balance
Fast paced environment
Empowerment
Like most organizations - leadership is not created equal
Co-workers are great and have fun while working
Work-life balance is an aera of improvement
Strategic Thinking is the greatest part of this job.
Friendly and Enjoyable Workplace
Customer Service and Sales Rep/Call Center (Former Employee), Cincinnati, OHAugust 15, 2014
Pros: down to earth coworkers, friendly management, good benefits, and convenient location
Cons: budget lay offs, new hire turn over rate, lack of training and authorization for certain job functions
I enjoyed my time working at Grainger! My coworkers and managers were the most down to earth people. The only negative I have to say is the unexpected layoffs and turn over rate of new hires. I recommend that upper management have a talk with account managers so they will be more considerate and respectful to call center agents.

Overall Grainger is a rewarding and fulfilling job. There will be some stressful moments when customers ask you things you were not trained on. Keep cool, maintain your level headed thinking, and if you have no idea what to do... pretend that you do.

Confidence is key to this job. Everything else will be sunshine.
Great company
Inside Sales Lead Person / Customer Service (Former Employee), BroomfieldAugust 14, 2014
The corporate office decided to close down this facility. I found this position that I was hired on for was not what I was hoping for. I did learn a lot about sales and customer service management. My position was to be an accounts relationship manager and to call businesses in a certain location in the U.S and find out their business needs.
Great experience
Government Account Manager (Current Employee), Houston, TXAugust 8, 2014
Pros: autonomy, training, support, retirement plan
Cons: limited advancement opportunity
I enjoy the workflow and support given to me as a sales rep. Their focus is always on keeping me in the field, not doing admin duties. The opportunity for advancement is limited however and I am currently looking for an opportunity to advance my career.
Sales is a revolving door
Sales Management (Former Employee), IllinoisAugust 3, 2014
Pros: profit sharing
Cons: sales is micro managed
They have a massive sales organization that is a revolving door.

From sellers to sales leadership - there is no tenure. Yes, there has been a lot of expansion but that does not account for the overall tenure issue. Those that have ascended into Sr Sales Leadership have little or no selling experience with any organization other than Grainger. PK- one of the highest sales leaders is actually really great but his vision doesn't trickle down to his functional reports. High seller turn over rate that is justified by how the turnover is "coded". Most DSM's tend to micro manage the sellers and that is encouraged by their RSVP's. Many people decisions are made without organizational consistency.

From an operations aspect- outstanding company. Great service to the customer and expansive product offering. If you need to buy MRO supplies- you will be happy with them for sure. This company could be great if their sales arm would get it together. I'd steer clear if you are looking for a long term sales career or sales management career.
Good Company
Southwest Research Institute Clerk III (Former Employee), san antonio, txJuly 29, 2014
good company, great people, best non profit organization

gym on site, cafeteria on site
Good Benefits; able to work from home
Contract Specialist (Current Employee), Northbrook, ILJuly 27, 2014
Pros: work from home
My job is very challenging and every day is differant, never the same. I am able to use all my skills learned and put it into my current job.
good job
forklift driver (Former Employee), Kansas City, MOJuly 26, 2014
good job just did not pay well at all so I left there seeking a job with the railroad
Great place for work life balance.
Branch Operations Manager (Former Employee), Oklahoma CityJuly 25, 2014
Learn alot about business acumen.
The best part of working their was the people.
No difficult parts of the job had enough resources to get my job done.
Regular day was managing my team, sharing goals and objectives, coaching and developing my team, and watching over the day to day operations.
No one day is the same, a fast pace and ever changing environment.
Operations Process Manager (Former Employee), Southaven, MSJuly 24, 2014
No one day is the same, a fast pace and ever changing environment.
Local management team is inexperienced in the sales/marketing division.
ACCOUNT MANAGER (Former Employee), Central PennsylvaniaJuly 24, 2014
Unrealistic goal expectations. Heavy focus on non-productive administrative responsibilities.

About Grainger

Grainger is no stranger to those in need of a wide variety of industrial products. W.W. Grainger distributes more than one million – Read more