Grainger Employee Reviews in United States

Territory Sales Rep (Current Employee) –  Norcross, GAMarch 4, 2016
Great company culture and I loved my manger. I would love to work for Grainger again. When more positions become available.
Pros
time
Good Company
Forklift Technician (Current Employee) –  Fountain Inn, SCMarch 27, 2016
I enjoying interacting with others when their equipment is not operating properly and training others to make the same repairs and diagnosis. The atmosphere at work allows me to take a few minutes to get to know people as well as challenges I can help fix to make their jobs more efficient and safe.
The most difficult part of the job would be the repetitive heavy lifting while making repairs.
The most enjoyable part of the job would be the comradery of my fellow employees and seeing them learn.
Pros
Good medical
Fantastic Company
Territory Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 14, 2015
I thoroughly enjoyed working for Grainger in Manhattan. Sure the commute was a drag but once you step out from Penn Station...it's on. The city takes over and you run on a higher octane.

I was by myself and walked A LOT but I did not mind. It was freedom.

I handled about 100 (existing) accounts and was expected to strategize a method of savings, profitability and inventory management. Having access to gps and a home branch I was able to maximize my on foot commute, set up appointments, discuss methodology with management and literally work on the go (company provided cell phone and laptop with mobile hotspot).
Pros
Great company to work for
Cons
$450 per month just to get to work and back
Territory Sales Rep
Territory Sales Rep (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 3, 2016
The training here is incredible. They invest a lot into each employee, and give you all tools necessary to be successful. They have incredible benefits.
Poor Management
Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Fountain Inn, SCApril 10, 2016
The job is not bad, but it is VERY much based on who you know and who likes you. If you speak your mind like your asked to share, you become 'black listed' and they look for a reason to fire you. Most of the managers do not take the time to learn the struggles the employees face and do nothing to help when they learn of them. There is no room to advance unless once again you know someone. The pay is all screwed up and new people come in at a higher rate and do less work. Turn over is always high.
Not a company to work for
Just left Grainger (Current Employee) –  Lake Forest, ILMay 15, 2016
This is not a company to work for now . Very biased in terms of employees and management are just puppets to older employees who think they just run the show . U r treated as dirt and will not even be given a chance to speak , let alone be heard.
Now completely outsourced , and growth is just not possible even though you are shown all possible options when you join .
Pros
Big company with ok benefits
Cons
No growth, no future, no raise
Horrible place to work
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  United StatesJune 17, 2015
They expect you to build a personal relationship with your customer while using a script. Impossible. You will be better off working telemarketing if you want to use a script. They are constantly changing things that they want you to say on the phone (scripted). Not diverse at all. Management has no training.The call volume is entirely to fast. There is barely enough time to save your order. When I first started working there it was the best company ever. The company in no way is anything like it used to be. All of my coworkers are looking for other jobs. All of the good reviews that you see on here is everything the company used to be. They Are constantly brainwashing you to continue to believe they are a great company to work for. I would steer clear.
Pros
Pay, Benefits
Cons
Short breaks, management, stressful
easy
On site service consultant OSSC (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYMarch 6, 2016
easy day to day work management was good to me. eventually it will only be an online place and there will be no more branches to walk into
No Clear direction
Territory Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Los AngelesAugust 27, 2015
The company doesn't know how to attack the medium sized market.
Hire unqualified management.
Not a competitive salary.
Life at Grainger
DC Associate (Former Employee) –  Fountain Inn, SCOctober 6, 2015
Overall it is an amazing company though it has its flaws. Nothing negative to speak about other than the horrible communication skills when it comes to relaying what is going on with the team.
Pros
Benefits, PTO, Profit Sharing
Cons
Lack of communication from management, Short breaks
Family-like Fellow Employees
Outbound Specialist (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 23, 2016
Grainger was a place of comfort but in the end was too far away from my physical home. Though I enjoyed most who worked there, of course you cannot always get along with everyone. The work was a little heavier lifting than I had intended but overall this company has good standards. I know there was a lot of people working there that had been working there for 15-25 years! That's a long time with a company.
I do know that the company did some thinning though this last year and we lost some great people who were there for 20 years plus themselves and got a 2 week notice that they were being let go!
This was a huge surprise for them especially right after Christmas. Not sure if that's how I would go about the situation but, its also not my company.
Picking items and packaging them doesn't sound like a glorious job but when you are surrounded by people who share a common sense of humor and make you smile through the boxes than its worth it!
Pros
Great lunch room, free steel toe shoes, free company gear (up to $100), company discounts
Cons
Bad location, parking crowded, no surrounding lunch spots, terrible traffic
A great career. Until the department was dissolved.
Console CCTV operator (Former Employee) –  Fountain Inn, SCSeptember 15, 2015
A contract security outfit took over our former proprietary security force. It was great being a part of Grainger during the 8 1/2 years that I was there. Management was the best. And my team of fellow professional security personnel team members were second to none.
Pros
Pay, benefits, management.
Cons
Good company, but values are shifting
Director Supply Chain (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 12, 2016
what was once a great family oriented company with outstanding benefits is now becoming more of a fortune 500 culture where cost cutting and shareholder value trump job security.

the company still has many employees who have worked there 20+ years. This is both a good and a bad thing. They know their business well, but are very resistant and slow to adapt to changing market conditions and consumer preferences.
North America's ($10 Billion) largest Maintenance Repair Distributor with over 1 million products with delivers of 98%
Regional Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Lake Forest, ILMay 4, 2016
Started with Grainger when they were $400 million company and held many different positions while growing the business to over $6 Billion. Grainger today is over a $10 Billion Company. Retired from Grainger after 35 successful years.
Pros
Opportunities to grow and experience new positions
Cons
It used to be a good company to work for.
Technical Product Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lincolnshire, ILJanuary 28, 2016
Leadership direction and overall culture is terrible. I believe from my time there that the company is going to continue to erode.
Not a great company to work for
PART-TIME/SEASONAL EMPLOYMENT (Former Employee) –  Duluth, MNJune 11, 2015
Only hire part time customer service and refuses to allow people full time (they are more concerned about the shareholder than employees and customers).

Co-workers were okay, however, they didn't treat the customers as good as they should.

The account executives were lazy and I find it difficult to believe that they are employed there in the first place.
Pros
Good salary
Cons
No advancement
It started well then went bad
Machine Picker/ Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, TXJanuary 14, 2016
A day at work pulling orders dropping them off. Working with others that all ways went well. Management going through some big changes why I am looking to leave. hardest part about the job who much we can get at one time.
Grainger is an excellent place to work
Sales Investment Associate (Current Employee) –  Lake Forest, ILSeptember 25, 2015
I have enjoyed working at Grainger the past 10 years. The management team is very much in tune with the economy and willing to make changes on the fly to ensure the right business decision is made for the company overall. In light of that, they are making changes to their workforce and some jobs have been or will be eliminated. My coworkers are very nice across the board. The most enjoyable part of my work is having an impact on the success of the entire company. The most challenging is getting all parties to agree on how to change our processes and data to be the most effective and efficient for all.
Pros
Flexible work schedules
Cons
Making system changes and having to put other critical business issues on hold.
Hostile work environment. Co-workers not team members. Gossip and hostile environment.
Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Macedonia, OHMarch 8, 2016
Atmosphere was negative. The company claims to be a good environment for employees to expand their horizons. The co-workers I encountered were not friendly. Instead of helping, they criticized. There was not proof that any of the hourly workers were promoted. Several had been there more than 15 years and still in the same job.
Pros
Great health insurance.
Cons
Co-workers in warehouse hostile to new employees.
Business System Analyst
Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Lake Forest ILMay 22, 2016
Don't be too good at your job, or else you will never get promoted. Healthcare is good, but they are out of touch with their employees and business. They fake being progressive until it's time to put fully invest. The first sign of trouble, they revert to 'tried and true methodologies'
Pros
Healthcare
Cons
Management is disconnected from Indivdual Contributors