Grambling State University Employee Reviews

Entry level
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Grambling, LASeptember 6, 2016
A great place to work. The work environment is great. And there is always something that needs to be done which makes the time go by faster.
Being a productive teacher.
Graduate Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Grambling, LAJune 16, 2016
Taught college students about Social Sciences for a semester. I also helped the professors and department head grade paperwork and make contacts with the students to answer questions they may have had.
N/a
Student IT Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Grambling, LAJune 10, 2016
It was a great internship experience where I gained great knowledge from a great team a great mentor that was individually assigned to all of the interns.
Conducive environment for work.
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Grambling, LAJune 2, 2016
A typical day at work would include a lot of communication. I worked with library patrons as well as staffs of the library. My job included helping others locate books, audios, and video recordings on regular basis. I used computers and catalog systems regularly. I learnt to be more patient and improved on my communication with people. My co-workers were easy to work with. There was no form of miscommunication. The hardest part of the job was locating books but with the help of my supervisor, I was able to learn how to locate and shelf books easily. The fun part of the job would have to be answering calls, doing paper work and helping to organize meetings.
Productive and fun workplace
Professors Assistant (Former Employee) –  Grambling, LAMarch 14, 2016
Worked in between classes Monday through Friday. Very flexible. Fun to work with students older and younger than me. A lot of responsibility.
Pros
Job flexibility, off early on Fridays
Cons
Low pay
Enjoyable and rewarding
Director of Athletics (Former Employee) –  Grambling, LADecember 30, 2015
My work experience was productive and rewarding with the central focus on students as customers. Keys to the rewarding experience was teaching, training, consulting and building confidence in their performance by helping each with personal development as well as skill development for uses in the future.
A typical day was, 4:15 wake up. Personal workout daily 4:30-5:30AM. Heading to work 6:15. Organize the daily schedule from 7:00-800 AM Staff meeting 9:00 -10:00 to organize the staff expectations. The rest of the day was determine by the work calendar.
Each day was a learning experience. I learned to pay attention to the mood of the staff, know what's going on in their lives, with an understanding on how that impacts their day at work.
The hardest part of the job is hiring and particular dismissals. The most enjoyable part of the job is positioning each staff members to take advantage of personal skill development and watching them blossom with confidence as skills are strenghtened
Pros
Working with people from all walks of life
Cons
Often not enought time to enjoy personal time
Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Grambling, LADecember 21, 2015
On a typical day I would be ensuring that the library data base was working and helping students who had difficulty in locating books. Management and staff were very friendly and easy to work with. At the end of the day I was happy to assist students to understand to operations of the library
Great University to work for.
Office Assistant - Department of Music (Former Employee) –  Grambling, LADecember 19, 2015
Great teaching institution. A great working environment. Instructor are hands on with students and workers. Making it a pleasant environment to learn.
Pros
Great Education
Cons
Finanial aid needs more work on processing at faster speed
Very fun and interesting job.
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Grambling, LADecember 2, 2015
• Graded homework and test, and compute and record results using answer sheets or electronic marking devices
• Organize and label materials
• Stock teaching materials and supplies
• Type, file and duplicate materials
• Used computers, audio visual aids, and other equipment and materials to supplement presentations.
Have awesome co-workers.
Amazing experience working in higher education.
Biological Sciences Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Grambling, LAOctober 23, 2015
I gained invaluable experience working with Grambling University and believe this institution is one of the most incredible places I have ever been employed. Amazing, phenomenal, and exceptional faculty and students. Truly grateful for this experience.
Pros
Student advisement and guidance
Cons
I retrieve and shelve used book.
Student Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  GramblingOctober 17, 2015
The job is interesting and expose me to how handle Library customer. The supervisor is very assisting in taking me through the job. I have some work colleagues who have very cordial relation with me. I retrieved book for students and replaces same when through with it. I ensure that library is well set or organize. Attention of my supervisor was called to any need of maintenance of facilities. How to channel communication were learnt.
Pros
Free hand to operate, assistance when needed
College Environment
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Grambling, LAOctober 9, 2015
Grambling State University a a place "Where everybody is somebody". The work load is not that heavy if files are organized properly; however other employees may tend to be rude at times.
Pros
Lenient environment
Cons
Unruly employees in certain departments
Helping with workouts in weight room.
STRENGTH AND CONDITIONING ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Grambling, LASeptember 29, 2015
During workouts i watched and made sure the players were lifting properly. The atmosphere was family and business based. I worked with most of the players and coach at the school.
Assistant Coach
Graduate Assistant Coach (Current Employee) –  Grambling, LASeptember 14, 2015
A modern day at GSU starts off with a 5:30 a.m. conditioning practice with the team, followed by a class check, and then after study hall and weights.
Director of Ticket Operations
Director of Ticket Operations (Former Employee) –  Athletic Ticket OfficeJuly 21, 2015
A typical day at work for me is to stay busy. During football season, I had to ensure that everything was ordered and in place to get ready for game day. Game days were extremely busy Prioritizing my duties and staying organized helps me through a tough day. One of my biggest task is checking to make sure all of my staff and is in place for kickoff. I like to be busy so that I can make the most of my day. I have learned that in management, you have to be a good listener especially when dealing with the public. There will always be some that are not happy, so you have to make sure that you listen and come up with the best solution to solve the issue. Management is more than being a leader, to me you have to also learn to follow as well. Management and leadership to me, goes hand in hand even though they are different. The hardest part of any job to me is satisfying everyone. One of the hardest parts of my job was having to tell a potential customer that I could not give them their dream seat in the stadium. I hate to have to tell a person that I will have to let them go because of budget reasons. The hardest part of a new job is getting used to a new environment. The most enjoyable part of my job is interacting with customers, making sure they are a priority. The best part of my job was the people that I worked with as well as the customers that I came in contact with. Even after leaving the job, I have built some relationships that will last a lifetime.
Pros
Meeing new people
Cons
Short staffed
Great people to work for
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Grambling, LAMay 31, 2015
I did not know a lot when I started working at this job there was a lot of on the job training and patience. I got to set my own hours and enjoyed myself.
Excellent place of employment for my alma mater
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Grambling, LAMay 13, 2015
Worked as the coordinator to the administrator in writing grants, hosting meetings for different departments within the university. Worked with people with diverse backgrounds, and was enjoyable
Productive day and fun
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Grambling, LAMarch 8, 2015
Duties are answering the phone, assisting students, and filing paperwork. I learned how to address people in a professional way whether its by phone or face to face. My co-workers are great students we all work together to assured the task is completely correctly. Really no hard parts because we all worked together with another, but in case of a problem I would ask manager when in doubt. Being able to work with other people who love helping other peoples and being around the career development part of the job.
Pros
developing my skills when it comes to interviewing for a job
College environment
Vice President-Student Government Affairs (Current Employee) –  grambling, LAFebruary 24, 2015
My college where i reside as a student. Fun place to live and learn. I been living hefor 4 years. I'm about to graduate in May 2015. My classmates are the best.
Pros
great education
Cons
far from home
Very enriching insitution for a young professional.
Department of Res. Life (Former Employee) –  Grambling, LAJanuary 23, 2015
I loved my years there as a student and as professional staff. Customer service was most important part of the job. Dealing with students, parents and administrators gave my a wide range of experience in the housing field.
Pros
interacting with administration on the higher levels of the institution
Cons
the pay was not suitable for the position.

4.3