Grambling State University

Grambling State University Employer Reviews

Very enriching insitution for a young professional.
Department of Res. Life (Former Employee), Grambling, LAJanuary 23, 2015
Pros: interacting with administration on the higher levels of the institution
Cons: the pay was not suitable for the position.
I loved my years there as a student and as professional staff. Customer service was most important part of the job. Dealing with students, parents and administrators gave my a wide range of experience in the housing field.
Very organized and fast paced setting which I enjoyed.
Administrative Coordinator 2 (Former Employee), Residential Life DepartmentJanuary 8, 2015
Pros: 1 hour lunch
Cons: breaks were few and far apart.
A typical day in the office is very fast paced and enjoyable. The phones and visitors are always at a steady pace. I learned what it is being a parent of a student myself that everyone that calls or visits the office is important. My co-workers were not team players. When you mix oil and water, they don't mix. There were to many power struggles to deal with on a daily basis. There was not much consideration for advancement towards each other. The hardest part of the job was not working like a team. The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that when a caller/visitor is satisfied I have done my best.
HBCU
Administrative Coordinator III (Current Employee), Grambling, LADecember 1, 2014
Pros:
I enjoyed working here and being off on Holidays.

Enjoyed working with students

I love the friendly town and my coworkers.

Cons:
You only have sick leave and annual leave. You have to use annual leave during the Holidays.

No raise in 6 years

Overall a good place to work.
Professional setting, fun job environment
Professor Assistant (Former Employee), Grambling, LANovember 12, 2014
Pros: simple job
Cons: no cons
Simply assist students when they have question regarding department curiculum, appointments with the dean, and accepting phone calls.
My experience at Grambling State University
Account Clerk (Former Employee), Grambling, LAOctober 31, 2014
This is not a place that I would ever go back to. Some of the people that I worked with were great, but others not so much. Even though it was a temp job. I did not enjoy my time here.
Go Tigers
Student Employment Assistant (Former Employee), Grambling, LAOctober 27, 2014
Wonderful HBCU.

Good place to earn and work.

Good employer.
Fast-paced, exciting place of employment
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee), Grambling, LASeptember 22, 2014
Pros: ability to be creative
Cons: short planning times
A typical day at work included making lesson plans, preparing for classes by doing clerical work (filing, coping, etc.), adding in attendance and grades, meeting with students in between class times, proctoring exams, and teaching lower level classes. I learned how to be more assertive as a leader, how to make quick decisions, and how to better follow the chain of command. My management and fellow co-workers were very helpful and made sure to be a supportive source when needed. The hardest part of the job was getting everything done during the work day. The most enjoyable part of the job was lecturing the students and leading discussions.
It was an overall great experience.
Customer service/Work Study/ Student Ambassador (Former Employee), Grambling, LouisianaSeptember 17, 2014
Pros: networking opportunities.
I love Grambling. My experience was an amazing experience. I,d recommend it to whom ever is interested in attending.
Great workplace
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee), Grambling, LaSeptember 8, 2014
I worked along with my co-workers providing tutoring to university students. I assisted students with various computer-based programs. When I was not assisting students, I was researching various programs to expand the computer offerings available to students. I provided clerical assistance to the Supervisor.
Grambling State University
Executive Assistant (Former Employee), Grambling, LAAugust 19, 2014
As a person who is not part of the dominate racial culture, this was a very difficult place to work. I experienced a lot of discrimination while working for Grambling and had a lot of difficulties just trying to get simple tasks done in collaboration with other offices. The campus culture is very tight knit, and if you are not a part of the "clique" then you cannot get things accomplished. It was extremely taxing to go to work every day. I was miserable and did not stay at the university very long. I witnessed the same treatment of students who were not part of these groups as well by both students and staff. I felt that I could not report this to HR and could do nothing to help myself or these students.
Facilities Director
Director of Facilities Management (Former Employee), Grambling, LAAugust 14, 2014
Pros: great university
Cons: no state supported funding for university
Responsible for the Directing, Planning, Operations, and Maintenance for the university, the entire departmental budgeting process, ensuring goals of the university are met, while continually striving to exceed the campus mission expectations, objectives, strategic plans; while maintaining and building upon growth and history of the university. Insuring accurate information is provided to Vice President of Finance and Administration, as well as the Cabinet of the University, and the University of Louisiana System. Responsible for all the university’s capital outlay projects ($1.5- $135 million), construction/renovation projects, preventive maintenance programs, computerize work order system (TMA), departmental budgeting (Using Banner Software), and labor relations with civil service employees. The employees included custodial (privately contracted), landscaping, carpentry, locksmiths, electricians, HVAC mechanics(contracted), as well as one facility planner, two managers, and four supervisors. There were a total of 86 employees.
• Manage the maintenance and operations activities, while meeting budgetary guidelines during budget cuts.
• Maintaining general control and responsibility for the physical plant of the University including buildings, property, furnishings, equipment, vehicles, and tools.
• Prepare data for budgets for the Custodial, landscaping, HVAC, electrical, painting, and general maintenance while controlling expenditures for these departments.
• Provide technical assistance to the administration as needed for building renovations and construction.
• Represent the university in capital outlay projects with the Louisiana Division of Administration.
Ra Job
Resident Assistant (Former Employee), Grambling, LAAugust 13, 2014
This was just a job to get me by. I dealt with students and their parents on a daily basis and it taught me great customer service skills.
TUTOR (Former Employee), Monroe, LAJuly 21, 2014
Fun environment & great people
flexible schedules
help community
decent pay
Poor Leadership
Resident Assistant (Former Employee), Grambling, LAJuly 18, 2014
Pros: genuine people, fun, flexible hours
Cons: selfish and hypocratic people
It was frustrating to work with people who practiced the very things that make this work hard to live in sometimes. Talking about the students and the personal things that they were going through. It was truly hard to make it through my committment but knowing that my residents needed someone they could count on got me through.
College Workstudy
College Workstudy Student Assistant (Former Employee), Grambling, LAJune 25, 2014
Everything is already laid out for you and you know what you have to do. You are assigned a boss and basically the task that they give you is what you do everyday along with whatever else comes along. You start in the back and then work your way to the front desk. Its a relax job long as you do what your are suppose to you wont get in trouble or have a reason to dislike the workers.
Not much money to work with.
Instructor (Former Employee), Grambling, LAJune 9, 2014
Cons: all
Worked two to three days week. Did not learn much. Management not in my league.
Life experience
Technical Support Analyst (Former Employee), Grambling, LAMay 30, 2014
Enjoyed working with students and learned from them..enjoyed the experience of assisting coworker
Team work
Logistic Technician (Current Employee), Grambling, LAMay 12, 2014
Pros: fellowship
Cons: retirement
Working in an enviroment with all walks of life and working to a common goal.
productive
Criminal Justice (Former Employee), Grambling, LAMay 3, 2014
writing tickets, I learned that I would not want to be a meter maid
Student Assistant History Department (Former Employee), Grambling LaApril 30, 2014
A typical day requires answer phone calls and filing while at this job I learned how to operate the Job application system.

1 2 3