Grand Canyon University

Grand Canyon University Employee Reviews

Great Workplace
University Development Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMarch 28, 2017
GCU is an amazing company and does great things for the local Phoenix community. The flexibility they provide employees is endless. I would recommend this company to everyone.
Pros
Faith Based
Good atmosphere
Tech Support Member (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 23, 2017
Grand Canyon University was a positive and encouraging environment to work for while I was attending school full time. Furthermore, they were willing to work with my schedule so that I could fully focus on my classes.
Productive and Inspiring Workplace
Operations Support Manager (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 20, 2017
Working at Grand Canyon University(GCU) for almost 7 years has taught me a multitude of skills. I have had the ability to make great relationships and partnerships throughout the entire University and enjoyed the positive attitude and passion of those I worked with. The most difficult part of this job was the long 3 1/2 hour commute into west Phoenix, which was a recent change from the Tempe location where I worked most of my time at GCU. I enjoyed all the community interaction, involvements, and the passion for change the University so often expressed.
Pros
Passionate employee, excellent benefits
Cons
Long commute
An intense place to work
Student Services Counselor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 17, 2017
A day flies by with all different types of activities to be completed. You can set set your daily work schedule. To enjoy working here you MUST buy into the culture of a Christian University. You will have many ways to give back to the community and you can make a difference
GCU on line
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 15, 2017
As an adjunct on-line faculty the positive experiences include schedule flexibility giving employees the ability to be there for families needs. A challenge is the requirement of working 7 days per week. Also the pay is contingent on how many students are enrolled in your classes. Broken down per hour, pay is not very high.
Pros
Time is flexible
Cons
low pay and requirement of working 7 days per week.
Productive workplace
UNIVERSITY COUNSELOR (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 9, 2017
My job specializes in recruiting nursing students into our university. I make over 250 dials and accumulate over 2hours of talk time. The most of my day consist of collecting documents and enrolling student.
Challenging and satisfying work and lifelong friendships.
Enrollment Advisor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 8, 2017
Excellent place to work, management is helpful and co-workers were pleasant and helpful. Support staff was also very qualified and helpful.

Typical day was 100-120 outbound calls, 20-30 inbound calls, extensive student prep, counseling, coaching, problem solving, assessment, financial aid assistance, and academic advisement.

Learned a lot about higher education and the subject matter that we presented to students. Learned how to organize and implement on a consistent basis with a high degree of customer service and error free work.

Upbeat and enthusiastic culture

Hardest part of the job is that it is not intellectually challenging as interactions with students are regulated, so the biggest challenge is to keep interested and on pace.

Student success and interface with faculty and management.
Pros
Flex Schedule and Work From Home benefits
Cons
Within Enrollment there is little room for advancement within the department.
Great Company depending on manager
Doctoral University Counselor (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 6, 2017
Great company depending on your manager. You know clearly what is expected of you. There are a lot of half days for holidays and accrue PTO pretty quickly from the beginning.
It is a wonderful place to work for.
Senior Payroll Specialist (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 6, 2017
I enjoy working for Grand Canyon University, it is a wonderful place. Employees are very important to Grand Canyon. We enjoy our basketball tickets. We take our families to these games. We have outstanding PTO. There is a lot to say about Grand Canyon, I believe that is why I've been here for 10 years.
Fun workplace
Student Loan Assistance Department (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 5, 2017
it was the best work exprience in my whole life. i enjoyed working with GCU team because it is a fun place to work and gain experience in the same time.
Busy, fun workplace.
Instructional Developer/ Designer (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 3, 2017
Nice place to work loved the culture but was a long drive for me in grueling traffic about a hour and a half one way each day and evening.
Pros
Free or almost free education for your kids, spouse and yourself
Cons
Too far of a drive in heavy traffic takes away from work/life balance.
Overworked employees
University Counselor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 3, 2017
The workplace culture is as follows: The only part of the job that was enjoyable was talking to potential students. Other than that, the employers were incredibly unprofessional, rude, favoritism is involved, and picking on those that have a hard time getting in students. A typical day at work was cold calling.
Workplace Culture
Library Assistant (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 1, 2017
The library is a great place to work! The people are great, the patrons are great, and the resources are great. I've learned a great deal about doing searches in a database at this job.
Pros
location, breaks
Decent work environment with great executive level leadership. Doctoral has lost their way.
Qualifying Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 28, 2017
Good company to work for over all but stay away from the Doctoral division if considering for employment. Upper level management for the College of Doctoral Studies seems to have lost their way over the years. Great culture between employees and outside of a few lemons, employees are treated well by management.
Love the people love the company, didn't love the job...
ENROLLMENT COUNSELOR (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 28, 2017
It is a sales position...period. It is driven by sales metrics and it is telemarketing. The company, the culture, and the people are awesome but the job title is a bit misleading. You are a telemarketer at the end of the day.
Pros
Wonderful company and people.
Cons
Telemarketing...
Phone job for sure, if you meet your numbers you are left alone, but if you dont meet your numbers even for a month, they put the fear in you.
Enrollment Counselor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 27, 2017
Typical day is reaching out to potential students who have either inquired online from a banner ad on the web, or have called into the 800 line. If the student decided to enroll after I explained the benefits of the program, then I would help them through the application process as well as financial aid and helping them navigate through the online classroom.
High overturn in management; New manager assigned to our team of 12 about every 9 months.
Hardest part was the pressure of getting your "quota" of new enrollments every month, you could exceed your quota month one, but if you fell short within the next couple of months, there was a threat of being on a corrective action plan (CAP).
Most enjoyable...is my coworkers were pretty cool, and we had a lot of potlucks. I made a lot of friends and also great connections in the industry.
Appropriate and fitting to school schedule, Kind environment, Helpful resource
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 27, 2017
A classic day at Grand Canyon University is characterized by its peaceful vibes and strong sense of teamwork. I am a current recipient of the (SIS) scholarship, my role at the Learning lounge is to help all the tutors in anything needed with the High school kids. It is a very organized process and enjoyable. Something that can be present its self as a difficultly at work could be the time management for me as teen with tremendous amount of homework. Although the advantage of being at the learning lounge they are very helpful and kind, putting my education first, as a great understanding as well as outstanding institution.
Pros
Good flexibility with my schedule.
Amazing Faculty Support
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 23, 2017
I have just started with GCU and am so impressed with the amount of support given to new faculty as well as ongoing training and development. I am teaching online course in psychology.
GCU Arena Life
Season Ticket Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 23, 2017
Its a great place to work however, they do waste a lot of time with phone calls and constant reminder emails. Its a pretty easy and straight forward job other than that. If you enjoy working if fun, sporty environments you should definitely apply to be a season account manager at GCU!
Pros
getting to watch the games, personable people interaction
Cons
low pay, too many phone calls and emails
Very rewarding experience
Undergraduate and Graduate Nursing Instructor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 22, 2017
Very rewarding job. Enjoyed working with students. I learned a lot of thingings I had forgotten since graduating from nursing.
Pros
Working with students
Cons
Traveling to teach classes

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Grand Canyon University. Our community is ready to answer.

80%