Grand Circle Travel Employee Reviews

Absolutely the worst decision I ever made.
Traveler Support (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 20, 2017
It's one lie after another. I never felt more misled by a company in my entire working career. You want everyone to start in Traveler Support but your high attrition rates should be signs that your doing everything wrong. I saw training class after training class. Stop focusing on the metrics and start focusing on your customer. Doing that will make the job be a lot more enjoyable.
Pros
None as I was not there long enough to qualify for travel benefits.
Cons
benefits they push don't apply to Traveler Support
I will not
Customer Service /Travel Relations (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsApril 4, 2017
I will not be writing a review of a past employer, their is plenty of information on Glassdoor.com. They will tell you all that you will need to know about working at Grand Circle.
Job is not secure
Traveler Support (Former Employee) –  South Boston, MAMarch 22, 2017
Loved working for GCT the pay is great. Coworkers were awesome. The work environment was great. But they definitely let go of a lot people. Not only that but the goals for each month was ridiculous. I was stressed everyday when I wake up and coming from work.
Pros
Teamwork
Cons
Meeting the goals for each month.
A workspace with individuals only goal is to get the sale
Sales travel consultant (Former Employee) –  347 Congress streetFebruary 16, 2017
I learned how to build custom trips and provide excellent customer service to travelers from start to finish. I can book air using Amadeus and other booking tools.
Pros
free lunches often
Cons
expectations and goals change every month
Fun, fast-paced environment with positive atmosphere
Traveler Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 12, 2017
Typical call center environment where Traveler Supports Specialists help travelers with various needs including, but not limited to, visa/passport info, day-to-day itinerary, airfare questions, trip cost/open balance.
Co-workers are nice but management is unqualified.
Air Service Agent (Current Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 22, 2016
CEO has made a lot of changes, including lesser benefits and incentive reductions. Management is unqualified and has no experience with inconsistent decision making.
Owner has lost touch with the current enviornment in International Business.
Advertising Expense Manager (Current Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 21, 2016
I work to assist others in ensuring the functions of the overall operations regardless of area of the business is moving smoothly. I do this by having a diverse understanding of who are the key people within the business to resolve issues that arise throughout the day.
Pros
Personal Paid Time Off
Cons
lack of opportunity for real growth, no relationship between salary and performance or performance reviews, very limited understanding of Teamwork.
Excellent company to work for
Travel Consultant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 12, 2016
Enjoy travel benefits and associates. Enjoyed working as a Travel Consultant and advising customer on the various tour destination. As a receptionist I enjoyed meeting the clients and new hired candidates.
Pros
travel benefits
Cons
very fast pace
Innovative, and challenging work environment.
Traveler Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 13, 2016
Innovative, and challenging work environment.
Clients are wonderful to work with. You can learn so much from, not only your colleagues, but the travelers themselves.
Very limited
Program Director (Current Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 24, 2015
Long hours. I learned how to be very patient. Management is always changing. Co-workers were great. The hardest part of my job is saying goodbye to passengers. The most enjoyable part of my job was seeing this beautiful country.
Unhealthy and abusive
Middle Management (Current Employee) –  BostonOctober 10, 2015
I know what you're thinking, every bad review was written by a former employee that is bitter for being fired, but I can tell you as a current employee, most of it is sadly true. This is a very unhealthy, unhappy and toxic company. As others have said, the "Values" are no more than a way for upper management to abuse you and eventually fire you. I have literally seen coworkers screamed at and belittled in front of the entire office. There is a culture of fear that exists where people turn on each other just to survive. It is a very sad state of affairs and it only stands to get worse. For anyone thinking about working here please consider what I have written and think very long and hard about your decision. All the travel discounts in the world are really not worth the stress and harassment you will receive.

For those current and former employees reading this, please help end this reign of tyranny but writing your own reviews and expose this company for what it is. Only by working together can we affect real change at Grand Circle.
Pros
Travel benefits
Cons
Too many to name.
Exciting Company to work for
Database Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 25, 2015
Data Entry, problem solving. Database maintenance. Works closely with supervisor also provide other department with tools that they need to get their job done.
High pace work environment for group travel sales
Senior Travel Counselor (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 27, 2015
A typical day involves maning the phones in an inbound call center and goal to book on that call. Work with travelers to decide the best destination that will suit them personally with presentation of upgrade options.

Participate and help manage call listening sessions for training purposes to help improve sales techniques.
Pros
Excellent work culture and encouragement to travel
Cons
Constant changes to goals and high turnover
An excellent place to work that values the employees opinion on how to improve efficiency.
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 12, 2014
Grand Circle Travel is a company that provided excellent training and valued employee feedback.
Pros
Proffesional setting, casual dress.
Cons
Very little and expensive parking.
Avoid this company at ALL costs!!!!!
Traveler Support (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 20, 2014
GCT is a joke. The only way you advance or get noticed is if you are stroking the ego and kissing management's butt by being a "yes ma'am" type. God forbid you have personal things going on in your life (death in a family, taking care of a sick family member or even just experiencing something stressful and personal) this job does NOT care! You are put on performance plans if you are 2 minutes late but only if you aren't a "favorite". They constantly hold a carrot in your face if you are trying to excel and will put you on a performance plan for anything and everything. The "values" are a complete joke especially when the people evaluating you don't even know what they are. They put out these ridiculous "kra's" for you to meet and if you miss your numbers they sit you with another employee who has no idea of their job duties but tells every pax (gct's term for travelers) what they want to hear even if it's wrong so they can build their own numbers.

They have deceitful employees who change pax emails in order to lower their chance of not getting good surveys. They fire people who know their job and have time in the company only to turn around and hire "Jimmys, Jennies and Billys" who just got out of college and have no sense of the real world. And to add insult to injury, these inexperienced kids get promoted to supervisor within 4 months.

Executive team doesn't care about call center employees. They were asked to come through the call center and sit with us to see exactly what we deal with and it never happened. Call center has and will always be treated like a red
  more... headed stepchildren. Can't attend any of the company events, other than the mandatory monthly company meeting that isn't even held in the building so that we can listen to the owner and his wife talk about their travels and make subliminal racist comments about people (owner sometimes dresses up as an "african/middle eastern" and talks in a weird accent mocking whatever culture he feels he can insult, wife talked about feeling uncomfortable as a caucasian woman in Africa... Minorities deal with that EVERY DAY IN THE U.S.!!!!!!! But if someone were to talk about Jewish people all hell would break loose). All they do is flaunt their wealth in the most arrogant way possible (owner was once quoted at a company function telling a vendor that he "owns the city of Boston and if he wants to he can ruin that person's life") They also have NO concern for employee safety as they required people to go to work during the search for the Marathon bomber when the state of Massachusetts told everyone to stay home only to tell those people 5 mins prior to their shift that they were going to close! A foot or more of snow? You still have to make it to work and if you don't, just plan on being put on a plan the next day you go to work.

People are ok who work there but 99.9% are faker than a $3 bill. They are sneaky and will rat on each other and smile in your face. People you start with will be your "friend" until they see you as a threat and laugh when they get you fired.

I repeat, DO NOT WORK HERE!!!!!
Pros
Associate deals exist
Cons
Micromanaging, favoritism, a** kissing, no sense of job security, gossip city, everyone is hooking up with someone who works there
To Be Avoided...
Copywriter (Former Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 31, 2013
Maybe this is a good company to work for if you are in the call center, where your mission is well-defined.

Maybe this is a good company to work for if you are in computer services and you can are charged with solving very specific problems.

Maybe this is a good company to work for if you are fresh out of college and just don't know any better about how well companies could and should treat employees.

All else need not apply.

As a creative environment, this place is the most maddening, infuriating, ill-focused, and backwards place I've ever worked. First off, our copywriters are largely not writing: We are hacking down and repurposing existing content, more administrators than creative professionals. When we do actually write something, it begins with terrible direction, which then changes constantly over the course of a project. You don't just write it and refine it: You write it, then re-write it, then re-write it innumerable more times while the folks upstairs get their story straight. Good writing is simply not appreciated, and after a while most of us copywriters stopped trying to be good and just tried to make the people in charge happy. Consequently, I wrote a lot of stuff that I considered well beneath my standard of quality, and I insisted that my name be removed from any attribution.

The atmosphere is toxic and corrosive. The company has cultivated an attitude where it is better to be right than to be a good person, and consequently you are constantly demeaned, belittled, and treated as though you were expendable. Women at the company fair particularly
  more... badly, which is odd considering there are more women here then men. Women supervisors see other women as threats, and hold them to a different standard. Cattiness and pettiness prevail. Men who are withering or cynical are "funny" and "characters." Women with the same characteristics are "difficult" and "not team players." It's appalling.

The company crows on and on about its "culture," oblivious to the fact that its culture consists entirely of talking about how great its culture is. There is no culture. There is only profit.

Good travel benefits, but those do not offset the ridiculously small amount of vacation time you get and the rather modest salaries. The company is horrible when it comes to paid holidays (you get next to none), and has little regard for their employees' safety, asking them to come in on days when there are hurricanes and terrorist attacks.

If you need a job and can't wait, go for it, but don't get sucked in. It will destroy you.
Pros
Great travel benefits
Cons
You don't have enough vacation time to enjoy the great travel benefits; horrible, cult-like culture
Terribly run company with no job security
Copy Department—Staff Copywriter (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 6, 2013
Want to join a cult-like company with too much work and no job security? This is the place for you! Just too horrible an experience to describe here.
Pros
Nice benefits, good location in Boston
Cons
Horrible upper management, no job security
Great potential but absolutely no job security
Call Center  (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 19, 2013
This company has so much potential to be a great working place. It is a fun place, bt when it comes to their so called values it can be a very hostile environment. There is so much kiss **s and "playing the game" it can physically make you sick.
Pros
The pay is good
Cons
Its like being on a bad reality show "Survival" or "Big Brother" I kid you not
Too Good to be True
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 29, 2012
Working in the Call Center you will be faced with monthly unobtainable goals and requirements. You will be berated with irate callers for hours on end. After speaking with a customer they will receive a post call survey to score you. When you receive a poor score management will not take the time to listen to the call and see if the failing score was justified.
The company also holds events that every department can attend except for the Call Center. In the summer there is early release for all departments on Fridays-except for the Call Center. If you have a late shift do not plan on attending the Christmas Party working in the Call Center.
Be prepared to work mandatory overtime that never lets up. In turn, this leads to massive amounts of stress as you struggle month to month to hit these numbers. There are multiple long term employees that are on anxiety medication and medication for depression. Not worth it for a "call center job".
Co-workers are all top notch as you are all in the same boat. The most enjoyable part of the job is punching out and going home everyday.
Company has a very high turnover, but on a good note you can move up if you desire because of this.
Pros
excellent benefit package. ample amount of vacation time & ample amounts of travel opportunity
Cons
shift bids, clueless management, no job security
Designer
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 18, 2012
Great people, Great Culture, no job security. The industry fluctuates so much your afraid you could lose your job anytime higher management has a "good idea".
Pros
people and culture
Cons
job security

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Grand Circle Travel. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8